PDA

View Full Version : Rovers best player ever?

red_all_rover
04/08/2005, 12:38 PM
Anyone any suggestions for the best rovers player of all time? Best may not only include the best footballers but those who contributed most to rovers success over the decades. Perhaps someone in the know can put up a poll??

My candidates:
Johnny Armstrong
Paul McGee
Alan Paterson
Harry McLaughlin
David Pugh
Gerry Mitchell
Johnny Kenny
Eddie Annand
Gavin Dykes

There are many more but these are just to get the debate going.

sligoman
04/08/2005, 2:53 PM
There are many more but these are just to get the debate going.

How about Gerry Carr? :confused:

Da Real Rover
04/08/2005, 4:45 PM
Dear Jesus you left out Tony Fagan.

The Stars
04/08/2005, 5:34 PM
Mick Leonard.Star striker when we won the league in the 70's.Legend.

SRFC Head
05/08/2005, 10:07 AM
Dixie Dean didn't get a mention ?

gustavo
05/08/2005, 10:47 AM
well he woould probably win hands down as the most talented player to play for us but not sure about player that contributed most to our sucess , depends what view point you are coming from really!

garykelly
05/08/2005, 11:01 AM
I cud only comment on player's ive seen in my lifetime but in terms of impact the best player i've seen is Eddie Annand. It's amazing we havent had a regular scoring striker since him really. 32 goals in two season. goal every other game. Best player of my time. Cant really comment on all time, but Johnny Armstrong would get my nod based on the stats.

gustavo
05/08/2005, 11:07 AM
best players ive seen play for rovers since ive started going regularly ( 96 -05 )
most talented
tony kelly
padraig moran
johnny kenny
wesley charles
conor o grady
fahrudin kudozovic

most influential all round good infleunce on club
mark hutchison
rafael cretaro
gerry carr
steve birks

Lim till i die
05/08/2005, 11:25 AM
Dixie Dean didn't get a mention ?

Exactly. I don't claim to be a Sligo expert lads but would he not be one of the best players in Ireland ever :confused:

sligoman
05/08/2005, 11:36 AM
Exactly. I don't claim to be a Sligo expert lads but would he not be one of the best players in Ireland ever :confused:

Well he was only there for a season :o

LondonRover
05/08/2005, 12:13 PM
True but he got us to an FAI Cup Final.

I'd say in terms of really doing the business for us and then going on etc my vote would have to go to Ski McGee - not that I ever saw him play - just what I've heard from Dad and uncles.

pineapple stu
05/08/2005, 12:36 PM
True but he got us to an FAI Cup Final.
And scored.

Sligo fans probably don't remember him though. Fly-by-nights! :p

TopOfTheLeague
05/08/2005, 11:04 PM
in my time goin to the showgrounds since i was around 5 (11 years ago) probly dykes was the best ive seen, the most determined to do well 4 the club any way

Red Head
05/08/2005, 11:55 PM
I would say definetely not Dykes, good captain but never that talented. In my time the best player was Eddie Annand for sheer consistentcy, still cant believe he wasnt brought to Malta. That amazing hattrick he scored will live long in the memory.

For short term impact , Colin Cameron was good, he was only 18 or so at the time but if i remember right he scored a hattrick in his last game.

Speaking of great teams, how does this team compare with 94? I live away and havent been to the showgorunds this year so i cant comment.

1 9 2 8
06/08/2005, 1:11 AM
derek o brien :p :p

Get back to your own forum krusty

Da Real Rover
06/08/2005, 12:06 PM
It cant be just sheer footballing ability that makes a club legend. Of course you have to have the talent but There has to be something extra something more, loyalty for your local team. Its gotta be Fago everyone knew that he could a made it real big in England but he stayed with us because he had loyalty. Something like that speaks volumes.

sligobhoy67
26/11/2006, 2:46 PM
It cant be just sheer footballing ability that makes a club legend. Of course you have to have the talent but There has to be something extra something more, loyalty for your local team. Its gotta be Fago everyone knew that he could a made it real big in England but he stayed with us because he had loyalty. Something like that speaks volumes.

Ski McGee for me!

feo123
26/11/2006, 7:50 PM
FAZ.....

Fivesilver
26/11/2006, 8:11 PM
Ski, without a shadow of a doubt.

SligoBrewer
26/11/2006, 8:41 PM
best players ive seen play for rovers since ive started going regularly ( 96 -05 )
most talented
tony kelly
padraig moran
johnny kenny
wesley charles
conor o grady
fahrudin kudozovic

most influential all round good infleunce on club
mark hutchison
rafael cretaro
gerry carr
steve birks

agree wit most of them but for me foyzer has to be up dere for talent, him nd faz have 2 be most talented players in the squad atm. and harpal singh of course for a while anyways

Red&White Rover
26/11/2006, 8:44 PM
agree wit most of them but for me foyzer has to be up dere for talent, him nd faz have 2 be most talented players in the squad atm. and harpal singh of course for a while anyways

:confused: foyzer maybe if he shed a few pounds but the other two?

SligoBrewer
26/11/2006, 8:56 PM
for talent. yes

avvenalaf
26/11/2006, 10:07 PM
OK, here is the definitive. These are players I have seen playing for Rovers and the team is in 442

Alan Patterson
Eunan Blake
David Pugh
Chris Rutherford
Graham Fox
Paul McGee
Tony Fagan
Michael Betts
Johnny Armstrong
Brendan Bradley
Johnny Brookes

Conor H
26/11/2006, 10:16 PM
Have any of yee ever spoke to Ski?
I've known him for years....in fact he was my Coach at Salthill Devon for a while and my God does he love himself.I've never met such an egotistical clown in my life.It would actually make you ignore his actual tallents as a player which he makes sure everyone knows he had.

sligobhoy67
26/11/2006, 11:39 PM
I've known him for years....in fact he was my Coach at Salthill Devon for a while and my God does he love himself.I've never met such an egotistical clown in my life.It would actually make you ignore his actual tallents as a player which he makes sure everyone knows he had.

Thats the reason he only got 15 caps, got ****ed out of QPR snd PNE. He's a **** but he's our **** and he the best player I have ever seen don the bit o'red imo

red_away
27/11/2006, 11:42 AM
I had the priviledge to have seen the 1977 side, 1983 side, 1994 side and misfortune to see many other lacklustre sides in between (the 1983 side performed very poorly!!).

But Harry McLaughlin, in my view is easily worth a place in every side named above on all criteria listed and some besides!

Loyalty, Skill, Contribution, statistically etc, etc - he always gave 110% for the bitored and was often the only player worth the admission fee in the 80's!

Rovers1
27/11/2006, 12:22 PM
from what ive seen Raf Cretaro was our most complete player, Dykes was a great player too though imo

Royal rover
27/11/2006, 12:39 PM
I'm going back only as far as the early/mid 1990's to date - you won't find much wrong with this selection

Ohara
Ryan Cross- class act
Foy-
Dykes
Burns
Kenny
Hastie
Gerry kelly (ex bolton)
Faz
Annand
Moran

Subs
Cameron, Mulligan, o grady,Gilzen-,cretaro,

Soper
27/11/2006, 1:20 PM
Tony ''Goes to Aintree instead of playing a match for us'' Kelly

Midgit
27/11/2006, 4:12 PM
for talent. yes

Talent my hole!!!!! If you think KIETH FOY is the best rovers player ever you do not have a f#ckn clue about football!!!
He is an average player!
Talent? Did you watch him this season? All he did when he got the ball was boot it or shoot! And in fairness to him he scored a couple of screamers but how many shots did he have all season?

SligoBrewer
27/11/2006, 5:27 PM
Talent my hole!!!!! If you think KIETH FOY is the best rovers player ever you do not have a f#ckn clue about football!!!
He is an average player!
Talent? Did you watch him this season? All he did when he got the ball was boot it or shoot! And in fairness to him he scored a couple of screamers but how many shots did he have all season?

you dont know much if you cant even spell his name right...twice:rolleyes: :D ;)

Red&White Rover
27/11/2006, 5:51 PM
He is an average player!
fickle...he has talent quite clearly just not the drive...

SligoBrewer
27/11/2006, 6:27 PM
fickle...he has talent quite clearly just not the drive...

you should have heard the giving out he gave me earlier on for sayin that foyzer had talent :rolleyes:

SligoBrewer
28/11/2006, 8:21 AM
I'm going back only as far as the early/mid 1990's to date - you won't find much wrong with this selection

Ohara
Ryan Cross- class act
Foy-
Dykes
Burns
Kenny
Hastie
Gerry kelly (ex bolton)
Faz
Annand
Moran

Subs
Cameron, Mulligan, o grady,Gilzen-,cretaro,

Ya sure!!! say it enough and you just might convince yourself he is the best player ever to pley in a Rovers jersey!!!
Anybody else but these two gobsh!tes actually think Foy is the best rovers player ever?:confused:

There's One... watch urself btw.

Fivesilver
28/11/2006, 12:07 PM
I had the misfortune of being far overseas for the Sanchez/Cotterill era, so I'm only going to mention players I saw a lot of.
It's very 1977-influenced, mainly because that was a phenomenally good team (leaving out Betts, Fox and Hulmes was difficult).
I've also mucked around with positions quite a bit to fit people in.

---------------------- Alan Paterson --------------------
Paul Fielding -------- Tony Stenson ----- Chris Rutherford ----- John Nolan
-------- Tony Fagan -------- Martin Bailey ----- Harry McLoughlin
------- Mick Leonard ------- Brendan Bradley ------ Paul McGee

Honourable mention: Anthony Gorman, Charlie McGeever, Will Hastie, Johnny Kenny, Eddie Annand, Padraic Moran, Tony Kavanagh, Pearse Walsh

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Red&White Rover
28/11/2006, 7:05 PM
midgit i dont think he is Rovers greatest player ever, not by a long shot! but what i am saying is that he has tremendous talent and that is quite clear that he does, but as i said before, just a poor attitude which is a shame. It's not so long ago he was almost a Premiership player.

Midgit
29/11/2006, 3:13 PM
Fair enough!!!

SligoBrewer
29/11/2006, 6:26 PM
midgit i dont think he is Rovers greatest player ever, not by a long shot! but what i am saying is that he has tremendous talent and that is quite clear that he does, but as i said before, just a poor attitude which is a shame. It's not so long ago he was almost a Premiership player.

thats what i felt, but FOR TALENT ALONE, he's up there with any of the the players i have seen play for rovers...

FOR TALENT ALONE... So is Faz

Red&White Rover
29/11/2006, 6:32 PM
FOR TALENT ALONE... So is Faz

afraid i cant agree with you there...if faz had proper talent he would still be playing in england...

gustavo
30/11/2006, 9:12 AM
afraid i cant agree with you there...if faz had proper talent he would still be playing in england...

I thought that attitude was long gone! Turns out I was wrong....

Red&White Rover
30/11/2006, 3:24 PM
I thought that attitude was long gone! Turns out I was wrong....

well thats only my own opinion....if faz had talent he would still be playing Derby County...i dont mean some ****ty insignifcant League One team cause god knows Eircom League is years ahead of that!

Red4Eva
30/11/2006, 5:30 PM

i was actually talkin to him yesterday. u think he was sounds from just talkin to him for a cupla mins but from know what he's like already u think he was an awful ****. he reckons he did an interview for rovers job and he came a close second to rob. he was even wearing a qpr jumper, not willing to let the past go or what. one of my mates plays for salthill&works in drom and he sez ski never shuts the **** about himself

avvenalaf
30/11/2006, 5:38 PM
It must have been a close second to Robbie Williams.

Terry
02/12/2006, 2:41 PM
i was actually talkin to him yesterday. u think he was sounds from just talkin to him for a cupla mins but from know what he's like already u think he was an awful ****. he reckons he did an interview for rovers job and he came a close second to rob. he was even wearing a qpr jumper, not willing to let the past go or what. one of my mates plays for salthill&works in drom and he sez ski never shuts the **** about himself

your mate must be a nice, polite guy if thats all he said about ski !!!!:D

Patrick Dunne
02/12/2006, 3:23 PM
He's still a legend though !

Martin McDonnell was one of the most underrated players to play for both Connacht clubs.

Paddyfield
02/12/2006, 10:36 PM
Thats the reason he only got 15 caps, got ****ed out of QPR snd PNE. He's a **** but he's our **** and he the best player I have ever seen don the bit o'red imo

You hit the nail on the head there Sligobhoy67. Ski was the best centre forward to ever play for Galway United and is still the Club's all time top scorer.

But even today, he still thinks he's 22 not 52.
He was interviewed by a local paper here a few years ago and said he was writing an autobiography. :D

red bellied
03/12/2006, 12:30 AM
Ski is the most talented player to come out of Sligo. I never seen him in his heyday with Rovers 76-77 season. Was anyone there when he scored the free kick against Shels before Xmas? early nineties? it was in front of the SHED

sligobhoy67
03/12/2006, 9:36 PM
Ski is the most talented player to come out of Sligo. I never seen him in his heyday with Rovers 76-77 season. Was anyone there when he scored the free kick against Shels before Xmas? early nineties? it was in front of the SHED

great goal, great day, shed went B-A-N-A-N-A-S!!!

Fivesilver
04/12/2006, 8:15 AM
One of the great Shed moments - people going @rse over head into the muck, a mate of mine misjudging the stampede and splitting his head off a girder, Jody Byrne looking like the world had just caved in.
And that was Ski when he was way past his best. If you remember him at his peak, playing incredible football in a Rovers team that was the best in the country, you don't give a toss about his oversized ego. Anyway, I generally found him a decent bloke. When I lived near him, he gave me lifts to the Showgies on a few matchdays, into the players' car park - not bad when you were broke. :o

Sideline
04/12/2006, 8:56 AM
Harry McLoughlin was a hero to us in the 80s and a great bloke.
Fago, Ski ,Rutherford, McGeever ,Bayly, Stenson. Bradley was an excellent goal poacher.