PDA

View Full Version : Gareth Farrelly in The Star...

ThatGuy
04/08/2005, 11:21 AM
Bohemians boss Gerath Farrelly has demanded more protection for his players from Referees.

Farrelly finally ran out of patience with eL match officials following Tuesday night's 3-1 defeat in Derry.

Stephen Rice sufferes a dislicocated shoulder and the full-back is now likely to be laid up for 6-8 weeks.

Rice's injury has come at a most inopportune time for the Gypsies. Sean Cooney, Rice's replacement in Derry, ;asted only 20 minutes before he went off, with a head wound.

Farrelly snapped: "We have now lost three players in three games to bad challenges, all of which went totally unpunished. It's wrong and it has gone beyond a joke. Something needs to be said because there appears to be no accountability whatsoever."

Farrelly's comments are likely to land him in hot warer with Ireland's soccer bosses - but he is prepared to take that risk to highlight the problem.

Tony Grant (shoulder) could miss out again. Ken Oman is suspended for Saturday, although JPK is available again after a ban.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

He is dead right. Against UCD a tackle on Farrelly resulted in him getting 3 stitches in his shin and he is out for a couple of weeks. Did the uCD player get punished? Bohs didn't even get a free-kick. Stephen Rice dislocated his shoulder as a result of a horrendus tackle and Sean Cooney recieved a very bloody facial injury and the referee did absolutely nothing about it.

The league needs more sides to play football, but it is unlikely when sides have to face difficulties like this.

razor
04/08/2005, 11:46 AM
Farrelly is a very physical player and dishes out a fair bit.
Has got to be able to take it too.
Very frustrating for a manager when you've got a run of injuries but injuries happen to every team and unfortunately the countries refs are also inflicted on all teams.
Get on with it.

ThatGuy
04/08/2005, 11:47 AM
Farrelly is a very physical player and dishes out a fair bit.
Has got to be able to take it too.
Very frustrating for a manager when you've got a run of injuries but injuries happen to every team and unfortunately the countries refs are also inflicted on all teams.
Get on with it.
What are you talking about? He is complaining about referees, not referees against Bohemians.

Perhaps someone can refrsh my memory, when was the last time a player was injured by a Bohs player?

lofty9
04/08/2005, 11:49 AM
Rice injured himself when he landed awkwardly (twice) when competing for two headers! Cooney smacked his head into the back of a derry player when going for a ball. WTF is farrelly on about. He's had a run of bad luck just like Derry have with and 4 players out with medial ligament injuries. Get on with it.

pete
04/08/2005, 11:49 AM
Pointless rant by Farrelly. What does he how to achieve except make excuses for injuries that hes been unlucky to get together.

razor
04/08/2005, 11:51 AM
What are you talking about? He is complaining about referees, not referees against Bohemians.

Oh Sorry, You mean he is doing the decent thing and is looking out for all other EL clubs in relation to refs and their decisions.
Do me a favour. :D

ThatGuy
04/08/2005, 11:55 AM
Pointless rant by Farrelly. What does he how to achieve except make excuses for injuries that hes been unlucky to get together.
Are you that naive? What do you think he wants? He wants the referees to be accountable for poor performances.

ThatGuy
04/08/2005, 11:57 AM
Oh Sorry, You mean he is doing the decent thing and is looking out for all other EL clubs in relation to refs and their decisions.
Do me a favour. :D
Do you think that he is suggesting that referees only punish fouls against Bohemians?

Yeah, good man.

patsh
04/08/2005, 12:02 PM
Farrelly just having a whinge because the big pub's good run came to an end. This is the same guy who deserved at least 3 yellow cards in the game against City, only got one, but, funnily enough, didn't have a moan about referees not protecting any City players from his thuggery....:rolleyes:

Poor Student
04/08/2005, 12:02 PM
I don't like your implication. UCD are one of the more footballing sides in the country. The tackle was committed by Tony McDonnell I think, who is a fair player. I put my hand up and say it was an awful tackle that deserved a free kick and a booking, however we're no hammer throwers.

Cosmo
04/08/2005, 12:05 PM
'the big pub'

Sorry for going a bit off topic but I love that phrase :D - it's defo catchy, like I've started to call them that now while talking to people about them :)

ThatGuy
04/08/2005, 12:06 PM
Farrelly just having a whinge because the big pub's good run came to an end. This is the same guy who deserved at least 3 yellow cards in the game against City, only got one, but, funnily enough, didn't have a moan about referees not protecting any City players from his thuggery....:rolleyes:
And we all know how balanced Patsh is in his view of Cork games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) (I;m only pulling your leg Patsh relax ;) )

A face
04/08/2005, 12:10 PM
If Farrelly isn't the guy to complain about the refs in the league (for all teams) then who is ??

RedX
04/08/2005, 12:12 PM
While i agree that the tackle against Farrelly was a bad one he has to remember he is well able to dish out the hard stuff himself..he was kicking players right left and centre anytime he played against City this season.. :eek:

And if he wants protection from refs for players he should start with asking them first to protect all players from John Paul Kelly..was that not a fine kick he gave a UCD player before being sent off?.. ;)

BohDiddley
04/08/2005, 12:15 PM
I'm glad he's having a pop. Long overdue IMO.
Farrelly is probably the most credible in this regard, because he is not a mouthy manager.

ThatGuy
04/08/2005, 12:15 PM
John Paul Kelly..was that not a fine kick he gave a UCD player before being sent off?.. ;)
Yeah Kelly was an idiot and was rightly punished.

pete
04/08/2005, 12:17 PM
And if he wants protection from refs for players he should start with asking them first to protect all players from John Paul Kelly..was that not a fine kick he gave a UCD player before being sent off?.. ;)

John Paul Kelly seems to have screw loose alright. Might be why he left Liverpool. I've seen him lose it in other games as well.

A face
04/08/2005, 12:19 PM
Yeah Kelly was an idiot and was rightly punished.

What was going through his head though, it was a drop kick ..... unreal !!

hoops1
04/08/2005, 12:38 PM
The tackle by Des Byrne one second after that was disgusting aswell
He should have walked! and on a player who just came back from a broken
leg!Referees are crap for everyone.The most annoying thing is a player
gets killed no yellow card!give a ref some lip straight out with the book!

patsh
04/08/2005, 1:33 PM
And we all know how balanced Patsh is in his view of Cork games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) (I;m only pulling your leg Patsh relax ;) )
Of course I am.
Exactly as balanced as you are when you talk about the big pub!

ger121
04/08/2005, 2:52 PM
'the big pub'

Sorry for going a bit off topic but I love that phrase :D - it's defo catchy, like I've started to call them that now while talking to people about them :)

Big club, big pub... who's cares you're still the big joke club!!! Come back to us when you've won something

Cosmo
04/08/2005, 3:01 PM
Big club, big pub... who's cares you're still the big joke club!!! Come back to us when you've won something

Touchy :rolleyes:

I'm sure its only a joke but seriously it is catchy :D .

Eh by the looks of it we aren't going to win something for a LONG time while Paul Doolin's in charge. But sure we've never won anything so mentioning that we never won anything is hardly going to wind me up is it :) ? (well used to it by now)

Vitruvian Man
04/08/2005, 3:53 PM
The Big Pub is a great name and one I am only too happy to be associated with. But I think Cork fans are just jealous because in their endless talking themselves up they never thought of the "Big Club" moniker first.

I took this from the Bohs board on the subject of players not getting protected...

[quote]
Maybe George O'Callaghan has hit on the answer then. He is a skillful player and I'm sure he's had his fair share of neandrathals trying to kick him out of the park. Nowadays he just throws himself onto the ground as soon as an opposition player gets within a yard of him and it works well as the referees don't have a clue.

Maybe it's time the more skillfull teams took diving seriously as a tactic. It certainly developed on the continent and EPL as a result of the hatchet man tactics that as still prevailant in the EL.

Diving is cheating, but voilent play is cheating as well. Why is one considered "worse" than the other.
[quote]

Any comment patsh.

Slash/ED
04/08/2005, 4:25 PM
The skillfull players in this league need more protection if we're to develop this league as a spectical. Players like Kelly, Hoolahan, O'Callahan, McCourt and the rest do get a rough ride from referees. Dolan made the point that European football suits Wes Hoolahan more than Irish football as he gets more space. The reason he gets more space is if players commit small, niggly little fouls on him the continental referees punish them. Here, nothing happens, so players like him are denied space and can't show their array of talents as players are constantly getting away with little fouls on them. We need to be promoting the skillfull aspects of the game and Farrelly is right, the referees need to clamp down more.

A face
04/08/2005, 7:19 PM
The skillfull players in this league need more protection if we're to develop this league as a spectical. Players like Kelly, Hoolahan, O'Callahan, McCourt and the rest do get a rough ride from referees. Dolan made the point that European football suits Wes Hoolahan more than Irish football as he gets more space. The reason he gets more space is if players commit small, niggly little fouls on him the continental referees punish them. Here, nothing happens, so players like him are denied space and can't show their array of talents as players are constantly getting away with little fouls on them. We need to be promoting the skillfull aspects of the game and Farrelly is right, the referees need to clamp down more.

The whole thing in a nutshell ..... good post !!

patsh
04/08/2005, 7:36 PM
The Big Pub is a great name and one I am only too happy to be associated with. But I think Cork fans are just jealous because in their endless talking themselves up they never thought of the "Big Club" moniker first.

I took this from the Bohs board on the subject of players not getting protected...

Maybe George O'Callaghan has hit on the answer then. He is a skillful player and I'm sure he's had his fair share of neandrathals trying to kick him out of the park. Nowadays he just throws himself onto the ground as soon as an opposition player gets within a yard of him and it works well as the referees don't have a clue.

Maybe it's time the more skillfull teams took diving seriously as a tactic. It certainly developed on the continent and EPL as a result of the hatchet man tactics that as still prevailant in the EL.

Diving is cheating, but voilent play is cheating as well. Why is one considered "worse" than the other.

Any comment patsh.
The biggest cheat in this league is that filthy knacker Connor with Drogheda. FOR YEARS this slimeball has been acting the maggot, stamping on players, endlessly elbowing forwards, attacking players at every chance he gets, and he gets almost total protection because he is a goal keeper. City, Bohs and plenty of other clubs can attest to his level of cheating, yet no one complains about him.
As someone who sees George play almost every single week, he does frustrate me when he overdoes his reactions to tackles at times. His "diving" is of course wildly exaggerated, mostly by bitter $hel$ fans, who completely ignore the utter thuggery of cheats like Rogers, Heery, Harris, Honker and the slyest little thug of all, Crawley, and totally ignore the fact that for many years, $hel$ players went out to kick the sh*t out of any player they saw as being dangerous.
This season, George has "cheated" once, that was in the game against Ekranas. Cue the howls of outrage, but the fact remains that George gets incredible levels of punishment in most games, and the event that started off him being called a cheat was the Setanta Cup game against $hel$ when virtually every $hel$ player on the pitch kicked him at some point or another. Crawley was going in for yet another attack on George when George decided he had enough and did what he did to protect himself.

Quite a few people refer to George as a "ponce", but what about snivelling little cowards like Heery? When he played against Roy O'Donovan, he got the shock of his life when Roy wouldn't take his intimidation and physical assaults and gave plenty of it back. The same when he was whining about George to the papers. Cowards like Heery love to dish it out, but cannot handle it when players stand up to them. That league game up in Tolka, Heery had to be taken off before he was sent off.

I don't agree with any player diving, and that includes any City player, (I was disgusted with the carry on of a lot of Steaua players last night). However, the greater sin against all football fans, is the likes of Heery et al, who cheat everybody by making up for their lack of skill by deliberate physical attacks on far superior players.

sullanefc
04/08/2005, 7:48 PM

Have to agree with all of the above.

Anyone see the challenge on George O Callaghan on EL weekly last night. The Pat's player got sent off and rightly so. But in the analysis they said there was no contact. The Pat's player clearly left the foot in when George was clearing a ball. Fair play to the Ref for doing the right thing, but some attitudes have to change.

OneRedArmy
04/08/2005, 10:40 PM
Meanwhile, back at the ranch.......

Just to get back on Farrelly, he has a point re refereeing standards, we all know they are atricious and something needs to be done pronto.

However I'm not sure the time to make the point is after a match where 7 odd of your players have been booked and 1 sent off.

BohsFans
05/08/2005, 12:47 AM
the big pub's

Still don't see where your getting that from?
I suspose your another Corkie idiot :rolleyes:

patsh
05/08/2005, 7:55 AM
Still don't see where your getting that from?
I suspose your another Corkie idiot :rolleyes:
Well you must be another big pub idiot if you can't even understand a simple joke...
and here's a few rolleyes for you too...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ger121
05/08/2005, 11:10 AM
Well you must be another big pub idiot if you can't even understand a simple joke...

We may be the big pub club but u lot r the anti-Dub club :p We could give every team in the league a nick name. Any suggestions??

ThatGuy
05/08/2005, 11:13 AM
We may be the big pub club but u lot r the anti-Dub club :p We could give every team in the league a nick name. Any suggestions??
Cork should be called the Inferiority Complex Club.

thecorner
05/08/2005, 11:17 AM
Come back to us when you've won something

see you when the season finishes so :D :D

ger121
05/08/2005, 11:25 AM
see you when the season finishes so :D :D

That actually to Cosmo about Drogheda coz I know they won't win anything. God I really hope Derry win the league now :D

BohsFans
05/08/2005, 7:05 PM

I know your type now, the typical Corkie who has a massive chip on their should towards the world outside Cork.
That's really sad, a bit like the name "the corner boys", I fell around the place when I first heard that name.

RedX
06/08/2005, 2:03 AM
I know your type now, the typical Corkie who has a massive chip on their should towards the world outside Cork.
That's really sad, a bit like the name "the corner boys", I fell around the place when I first heard that name.

Your wrong there...i am a Corkman and in fact i like nothing better than going to Dublin for a good ****-up..always loved the place and i find Dubs great craic..there is no way Cork people give as much a toss about Dubs than you lot do about us..chip on our shoulder??..grow up lad..are you so worried a small little village like Cork could steal your thunder and win the league..well get used to it because its about to happen..see you in Dublin for a pint sometime.. :eek:

ThatGuy
06/08/2005, 6:01 PM
there is no way Cork people give as much a toss about Dubs than you lot do about us..chip on our shoulder??..grow up lad..are you so worried a small little village like Cork could steal your thunder and win the league..well get used to it because its about to happen..see you in Dublin for a pint sometime.. :eek:
Nail on the head right there. No-one in Dublin could care less about Cork. I think that is why you all have such a complex!

hoopy
06/08/2005, 6:07 PM
Comical stuff from Farrelly seeing as he's always the first player over to the ref trying to get the opposition player booked

joeraki
06/08/2005, 6:16 PM
Farrelly giving out !! The last time I seen him in action was ploughing through some UCD player. lucky for him JPK had kicked the player first.. and got sent off :rolleyes: added in other red cards they've got this season and whats he on about ?

btid1
06/08/2005, 7:26 PM
Farrelly giving out !! The last time I seen him in action was ploughing through some UCD player. lucky for him JPK had kicked the player first.. and got sent off :rolleyes: added in other red cards they've got this season and whats he on about ?

You would want to get your eyes tested so considering Farrelly was off the pitch at that stage getting 5 stitches in his ankle after a dreadful tackle from Tony McDonnell.That was Dessie Byrne you saw so get your facts straight before you comment on this situation!

Bohs Till I Die!

joeraki
06/08/2005, 7:57 PM
You would want to get your eyes tested so considering Farrelly was off the pitch at that stage getting 5 stitches in his ankle after a dreadful tackle from Tony McDonnell.That was Dessie Byrne you saw so get your facts straight before you comment on this situation!

Bohs Till I Die!

Replace one nasty tackle with someone elses name, least you know what I was on about. so whats Farrelly moaning about again ??

BohsFans
07/08/2005, 11:54 PM
Replace one nasty tackle with someone elses name, least you know what I was on about. so whats Farrelly moaning about again ??

eh... McDonnell the f uckin scumbag put him out for 6 weeks, he was hobbeling around Longford on crutches on sat.