PDA

View Full Version : Leon Best in England squad

Dan K
04/08/2005, 11:15 AM
He's included in the England U-20 squad to face Russia on the 16th August.

Seems like he's opted to go for England over us despite being in our Under 19's at the end of last season, although he can play for either nation until he's called up for one of the U-21 sides.

When I find a link online I'll post it up.

Dan K
04/08/2005, 11:17 AM
Here we go:

http://www.thefa.com/England/U20s/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2005/07/Squad_vRussia_16Aug.htm

Stuttgart88
04/08/2005, 11:19 AM
**** him.

dr_peepee
04/08/2005, 11:24 AM
Sure he's fallen behind Jones and Blackstock as Southampton premier young strikers.

pete
04/08/2005, 11:29 AM
Judas.

Zidane
04/08/2005, 12:18 PM
Its always a shame to loose a player in the striking area, however just remember people like Gallen and Whelan - never really went anywhere in their careers.

We have a few strikers coming through the ranks and a few players who have just moved clubs, so hopefully they will settle in and not make the loss that bad.

He has'nt set the world alight and it seems the lad is confused about were his loyalties lie. Don't get me wrong everybody is entitled to play for his country but you wonder if somebody is giving him wrong guidance.

Not bitter

youngirish
04/08/2005, 12:41 PM
He's only a blow in anyway. He was always pulling out of our squads. I'd rather have committed Irish strikers than England reject strikers. Saying that Morrison has been generally good for us.

Anyone hear anything of Mark Quigley the U19 irish striker from Millwall? He was starting to make a breakthrough to the first team last season but I think he's been let go.

Donal81
04/08/2005, 12:50 PM
If that fella Livehead is around, maybe he could confirm what happened. I remember him being fairly adamant that Best wanted to play for Ireland, that he knew him, or something.

Dan K
04/08/2005, 1:24 PM
If that fella Livehead is around, maybe he could confirm what happened. I remember him being fairly adamant that Best wanted to play for Ireland, that he knew him, or something.

Is that the fella who said he went to school with him or something?

tetsujin1979
04/08/2005, 2:53 PM
What about timlin at Fulham? Coleman seemed to be impressed with him in preseason.

Too right about Best, if you can't be bothered playing for us, well good luck and thanks

eirebhoy
04/08/2005, 4:46 PM
He has'nt set the world alight and it seems the lad is confused about were his loyalties lie. Don't get me wrong everybody is entitled to play for his country but you wonder if somebody is giving him wrong guidance.

I remember Andy O'Brien said the only reason he played for England U-21's was because of pressure from Bradford at the time. Best's mother is Irish. His father is African I think. The likes of Kilbane and Breen were brought up with Irish fathers afaik and they wouldn't let them be anything but Irish. Best considers himself English I'd say but I wouldn't know. I just feel its much different being brought up abroad with an Irish father than Irish mother.

Superhoops
04/08/2005, 5:08 PM
**** him.
Couldnt put it better myself. He is no great loss. He thinks he is better than he is. If he dont want to play for us **** him.

livehead1
04/08/2005, 5:20 PM
sorry just back from ireland meself today....as far as i know this is suprising. i will probably see a lad who is still very close to leon tomorrow n maybe he will know more but feck sake, he really will go somewhere. he always considered himself irish...that is all i know n thats a fact.

TheOwl
04/08/2005, 10:31 PM
BTW - Leon Best has just signed for Sheffield Wednesday on a month's loan.

Qwerty
05/08/2005, 1:07 AM
OK we can all stop pretending he is Irish now :) Best of luck Leon on your future career with England!

robbie_B
05/08/2005, 9:11 AM
He will end up regretting that decision like Gallen did. He wasn't very impressive on loan at QPR last season so can't say Im that fussed if he goes off to play for England. He either considers himself Irish or he doesn't and I think if he really wanted to play for us he would have made it clear long ago.

Lionel Ritchie
05/08/2005, 9:17 AM
I think that generally these lads -the gallens, whelans , bests etc... tend to come under pressure from their clubs AND agents if there's a chance to get into an England squad as it demonstrably raises their value within the English market if they're an England player.

the lad's only exercising his rights as they stand.

Stuttgart88
05/08/2005, 9:19 AM
He wasn't very impressive on loan at QPR last season so can't say Im that fussed if he goes off to play for England.

I looked out for the match reports when he was at QPR. In The Times' Monday football supllement they singled out Best for having a stinker in one game. I think he was actually dropped by QPR towrads the end of his spell.

I had a good look at him in the second leg of the FA Youth Cup Final last year & saw nothing special. Very athletic but very careless. In my view Stephen Elliott is a far better prospect (only 1 year older?). Kevin Doyle too?

I wonder why he was left out of recent Irish underage sqauds - not considered good enough, club commitments or had he nailed his colours to the English mast? Again, The FAI's communications have let them down badly.

robbie_B
05/08/2005, 9:53 AM
After his loan, there was talk that he was actually injured but kept it from Sothampton because he was desperate for first team football. Most QPR fans were glad when he was gone, good turn of pace but that was really it, easily pushed off the ball, didn't score a goal and Holoway stuck him on the bench in the end. What is the lad Corr like at Sheff Wed like? Burgess at Hull is a decent player. More of a target man, very good left foot.

Stuttgart88
05/08/2005, 10:07 AM
QPR vs SWFC is live on TV in August so I'll watch that from my couch but I'd be interested in going to the Reading and Hull games in November.

livehead1
05/08/2005, 10:17 AM
im correct in thinking that he could play for england in these games and then go back to ireland..yes? does ireland have any games in this period? also, are these games also friendlies...im just thinking that if ireland had a game and england had a game then i always thought he would have chosen ireland...maybe he doesnt see the harm in playing in this game?

robbie_B
05/08/2005, 10:18 AM
Livehead if your Irish why would you even consider playing for England? I wouldn't say he is desperate to pull on the green jersey like we all would be.

Extended highlights of QPR v Hull on ITV sunday morning.

Stuttgart88
05/08/2005, 10:26 AM
im correct in thinking that he could play for england in these games and then go back to ireland..yes? does ireland have any games in this period? also, are these games also friendlies...im just thinking that if ireland had a game and england had a game then i always thought he would have chosen ireland...maybe he doesnt see the harm in playing in this game?

I think you're right that he can still play for Ireland. I don't think we have an U20 side at the moment.

gustavo
05/08/2005, 10:41 AM
ah sure the poor lad is only checking which nation is right for him , next up scotland followed swiftly by wales and norn iron :rolleyes:

OwlsFan
05/08/2005, 12:49 PM
Just gone on a month's loan to Wednesday. Maybe Whelan and Partridge can talk a bit of sense into him :D

livehead1
05/08/2005, 2:31 PM
Livehead if your Irish why would you even consider playing for England? I wouldn't say he is desperate to pull on the green jersey like we all would be.

Extended highlights of QPR v Hull on ITV sunday morning.

influences of his football club...ya know the craic...he's 2nd gen. he always said he was irish at school though

Dan K
05/08/2005, 5:30 PM
influences of his football club...ya know the craic...he's 2nd gen. he always said he was irish at school though

If you truly consider yourself Irish, you will always 'act' Irish, regardless of what your employer says.

livehead1
05/08/2005, 6:20 PM
well lets see if he plays first . i remember kevin nolan getting a call up for us before not playing....

tetsujin1979
05/08/2005, 11:09 PM
There's nothing on Southampton's site about him getting called up for England, mind you there's nothing about him going on loan to Sheffield Wednesday either!!

livehead1
06/08/2005, 5:34 PM
i dont think there is a prayer of him playing in the match when i come to think about it. wednesday have a game on the 13th at home to southampton...he can play in that game as long as it aint a season long loan. then they next have a game away to ipswich on the 20th. wednesday will not let him travel all the way out to russia for a game on the evening on the 16th. the under 20's aint that important in any country and he would not want to risk coming back tired etc...losing his place, injury. i cant see him playing even if he wanted to, which is another thing that hasn't been confirmed

Dan K
06/08/2005, 10:57 PM
i dont think there is a prayer of him playing in the match when i come to think about it. wednesday have a game on the 13th at home to southampton...he can play in that game as long as it aint a season long loan. then they next have a game away to ipswich on the 20th. wednesday will not let him travel all the way out to russia for a game on the evening on the 16th. the under 20's aint that important in any country and he would not want to risk coming back tired etc...losing his place, injury. i cant see him playing even if he wanted to, which is another thing that hasn't been confirmed

According to the Southern Daily Echo (the local paper here in Southampton), part of the loan deal is that he CAN'T play against Saints, and I think it said it was either a 2 or 3 month deal.

If Sturrock wasn't going to let him play for the U-20's, he'd have probably made him withdraw from the squad by now. If Best didn't want to play, he'd have surely withdrawn himself from the squad.

No offence, but I think you're clutching at straws. I hope to be proved wrong but if Best didn't have any intention of playing in this match, he wouldn't be in the squad. He would have said that he wanted to be considered for selection - I doubt it's as if the coaches just pick anyone without seeing if they want to play.

drummerboy
08/08/2005, 8:53 AM
I seen Best play in both legs of FA Youth Final and he didn't impress me. The guy who stole the show for me in the first leg was Owen Garvan, who made his debut for Ipswitch on Saturday to rave reviews.

OwlsFan
10/08/2005, 8:38 AM
Well, Best scored last night against Hull and then broke his toe. That's the end of him appearing again for Wednesday unless his toe has the same magical recuperative powers that Dunne's has.

Galwayexile
10/08/2005, 8:51 AM
hows richie partridge doing?

Stuttgart88
10/08/2005, 8:54 AM
Partridge was an unused sub last night

Galwayexile
10/08/2005, 9:05 AM
he came on in the 79th minute for chris eagles

Stuttgart88
10/08/2005, 10:45 AM
Sorry - blame The Telegraph!