PDA

View Full Version : Colm Closing a Thread

Student Mullet
03/08/2005, 10:15 PM
because he was losing an argument.

Surley that was an example of bad sportsmanship?

A face
03/08/2005, 10:21 PM
What thread was that ??

pete
03/08/2005, 10:32 PM
Its been discussed in the Moderator section.

Student Mullet
03/08/2005, 10:34 PM
Its been discussed in the Moderator section.OK thank you,
If that's the case you should close this tread.
I'm glad it didn't go unnoticed.

Dodge
03/08/2005, 10:39 PM
This one (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=27811)

BohDiddley
04/08/2005, 8:43 AM
Its been discussed in the Moderator section.
Would you mind giving us a link to that, or is it barred to us ordinary foot.ie plebs?

Cosmo
04/08/2005, 8:50 AM
Would you mind giving us a link to that, or is it barred to us ordinary foot.ie plebs?

Us ordinary peasants :D - would like to see this one myself because I also thought there was no reason for it to be closed

Hibs4Ever
04/08/2005, 9:47 AM
There was a reason, Colm was making a fool of himself with his comments and opinions. So best thing for him to do is shut down the thread ;)

pete
04/08/2005, 9:58 AM

No plebs allowed.

:cool:

BohDiddley
04/08/2005, 10:36 AM
In that case, I think we need to discuss this ourselves.
As I see it, the thread was closed by the moderator because he didn't like the way the discussion was going. This wasn't because of any improper behaviour, such as abusive, e.g. racist or defamatory, posts, but because he was losing an argument.
That's not good enough for a public discussion board.

dahamsta
04/08/2005, 10:51 AM
I reopened the thread to preserve Colm's dignity. Then I closed it again, because it's bullshít. Happy now?

adam

BohDiddley
04/08/2005, 12:10 PM
Not really.
Instead of one individual with a little bit of power acting in an arbitrary and high-handed way, we now have two.
You closed the thread, and now you've moved this one to a backwater where you hope no one will notice.

pete
04/08/2005, 12:21 PM
Not really.
Instead of one individual with a little bit of power acting in an arbitrary and high-handed way, we now have two.
You closed the thread, and now you've moved this one to a backwater where you hope no one will notice.

I don't think you want to go there. You wouldn't like him when hes angry :D

dahamsta
04/08/2005, 12:30 PM
Not really.
You closed the thread, and now you've moved this one to a backwater where you hope no one will notice.YEAH, ITS A CONSPIRACY. LOOK OVER YORE SHOULDER, THERES ALIENS AND STUFF!

BohDiddley
04/08/2005, 1:07 PM
No, it's not a conspiracy. Just cowardice.

dahamsta
04/08/2005, 1:18 PM
Me fwightened!

Cosmo
04/08/2005, 1:53 PM
Eh well in fairness I stand by the opinion that it should not have been closed and I dont think mods should have the right to close a thread they're a major contributor to. That thread should not have been deleted imo (but partizans post should have been binned)

But hey, I don't run the site, so can't really have any complaints - just constructive criticism :) !!

dahamsta
04/08/2005, 2:04 PM
Last page of the thread is personal bickering. Most of the rest of the thead was pedantics, threats, stupidity, etc. What exactly is the point in reopening it? Who exactly is getting value out of it?

adam

wws
04/08/2005, 2:05 PM
.....i dont think they want it opened for any other reason than he closed it.....

**** thread anyway .....ran its course......naturally closed

Cosmo
04/08/2005, 2:13 PM
.....i dont think they want it opened for any other reason than he closed it.....

**** thread anyway .....ran its course......naturally closed

Without sounding petty, to be hoenst yeah. I thought it was coming to an end naturally. It's just the principle of the thing that some lad was losing the argument and then he closed the thread.

But sure who am I to have principles on here re: the way the forums run, it aint my site, just constructive criticism :)

dahamsta
04/08/2005, 2:30 PM
Read post 11.

(Yes, I really did open and close it again. I am the king of anal retentiveness.)

adam

BohDiddley
04/08/2005, 2:42 PM
I'm not really concerned with the value or otherwise of the thread, much of which I disagreed with. I agree that it had run its course, but there are plenty of other low-grade, ill-informed and quite nasty threads on foot.ie, as elsewhere, that aren't locked after they have long overstayed their welcome.
Anyone making threats should of course be removed by a responsible moderator. Instead, everyone has been punished, like some class of eight-year-olds with a grumpy teacher.
Cosmo is happy to let ownership settle it. If the mods want to run that kind of board, so be it, but IMO the real value in a place like this is not in software and servers, it's in the skill and honesty of those running it and, most of all, in the contributions of its members.
As things stand, a thread has been locked for no good reason. I'm quite surprised at the acquiescence shown towards this decision, from a group of normally vocal people.

dahamsta
04/08/2005, 3:12 PM
Fight the Power! (http://www.google.com/search?q=lyrics+fight+the+power)

sligoman
04/08/2005, 3:34 PM
YEAH, ITS A CONSPIRACY. LOOK OVER YORE SHOULDER, THERES ALIENS AND STUFF!

Me fwightened!
Jaysus dahamsta! :eek:, you forgot to sign both of these posts with-Adam, that's not like you :D

tiktok
04/08/2005, 3:41 PM
I remember when this place used to be worth visiting :(

dahamsta
04/08/2005, 3:48 PM
Jaysus dahamsta! :eek:, you forgot to sign both of these posts with-Adam, that's not like you :DThat wasn't me sligoman, it was my evil tinfoil-hatted twin.

adam

sligoman
04/08/2005, 3:51 PM
That wasn't me sligoman, it was my evil tinfoil-hatted twin.

adam

Oh, ok :rolleyes: :D

Éanna
04/08/2005, 5:07 PM
tell me about it :rolleyes:

Colm
04/08/2005, 5:16 PM

Far too many ole ole-ers these days! :rolleyes: :(

Troy.McClure
04/08/2005, 5:30 PM
Far too many ole ole-ers these days! :rolleyes: :(

Quoi? :confused:

Colm
04/08/2005, 5:44 PM
Quoi? :confused:

Imagine them as wearing Celtic jerseys, big green hats and in possesion of a giant plastic hammer sitting in a pub watching an Ireland match!

De Town
04/08/2005, 6:08 PM
to fúcking true :mad:

Troy.McClure
04/08/2005, 6:44 PM
Imagine them as wearing Celtic jerseys, big green hats and in possesion of a giant plastic hammer sitting in a pub watching an Ireland match!

I know what they are, but havent noticed them here (I dont usually go into the non eL forums except off topic). Dont they just stay in thier boxes?

fosterdollar
05/08/2005, 8:22 AM
One of the biggest problems with users these days is (especially among the ones registered earliest) is their apparent need to define every member/poster as they post messages. On the one hand there is often wahey over the top PCness which is then followed by blatant assumption making on things like where the poster is from, what their motives are, whether what they say is valid or not. I can see why some of the 'World Football' and 'Ireland' forum users feel aggrieved at times in here. I hardly ever use those forums and it seems most who do are relatively new members. They're not likely to stay for much longer given some of the treatment by members who are here a long time and frankly should be making more of an effort to make the site a success.

Btw, the increase in necessity for 'policing' from Adam was put down to the development of 'Junior Football' discussion on the site and the inevitable influx of 'kids' but i reckon it's becoming more and more due to agro which is fuelled in no small part by (again) members who are here a long time and should no better.