PDA

View Full Version : Best Victory

Troy.McClure
03/08/2005, 10:08 PM
In responce to the other thread about your worst losses, this is one to gloat in :)

In no particular order:

City v Rovers in the Cup when Hartigan scored the only goal for us to win the League Cup, because it was the first thing that I saw the club win and there was a great atmosphere that day

Shels v City when Cahil scored the only goal in Tolka to take the title to Bohs (or should I say, from Shels). We needed the win to get into the Intertoto cup in a season that religation wasnt too far from peoples minds with Mountfields time in charge.

City v Shels to win the first and only FAI Cup for the club. Great header by big Der.

City 3 Malmo 1. Didnt know what to expect from Malmo but didnt expect to whoop them off the pitch, great day, great night :)

TonyD
03/08/2005, 10:27 PM
Since this was started by a Cork fan, I'll start with,

Pats 2 Cork 1, Turners Cross January 99. Best athmosphere I've ever witnessed at a League match, and a great turnaround in a game Pats looked to be dead and buried in at Half Time.

Pats 1 Rijeka 0 - First ever victory in Europe, Special.

Pats 3 Ghent 1 - An even beter game than the Rjieka one. Superb performance, heartbreaking to lose out on away goals in the tie though.

Pats 2 Kilkenny 1 - May 1998 - Forgettable game really, unbelievable climax to the season. Winning the league when we didn't really expect it.

Dodge
03/08/2005, 10:38 PM
Fair few but apart from league wins and that type of stuff, it's the 3-2 Cup game v rovers in Inchicore with the "headcase section" ( (c) Tom McGibney) and Davey Byrne's shinner

pete
03/08/2005, 10:44 PM
10k fans packed into the cross for League Cup win against Rovers.

NEC 0 City 0 Best ever away atmosphere in nice compact ground.

City 1 NEC 0, Great Atmosphere & shed probably at twice capacity.

sligoman
03/08/2005, 10:56 PM
From what I can think of a the top of my head it would have to be the game against Shels in Tolka Park in the FAI cup replay in 2003. We bet them 3-2 in extra time and deservedly so too.

Also the first game in the Showgrounds which ended 0-0 was a great game too.

dfx-
03/08/2005, 11:12 PM
In responce to the other thread about your worst losses, this is one to gloat in

Damn positive thinking.... :rolleyes: :mad: ;)

I'd have to think about this one...what springs to mind first of all is the win against Shels in the RDS to keep the title away from Cork :p ...and the win at Shels a few weeks ago

Another one sticking out would be when we won 1-0 in a packed Turners Cross in the Cup a few years ago with an og from 35-40 yards (?). :cool:

Troy.McClure
03/08/2005, 11:17 PM
Another one sticking out would be when we won 1-0 in a packed Turners Cross in the Cup a few years ago with an og from 35-40 yards (?). :cool:

Thank Alan Bennet for that one, he was seriously unlucky at the start of his career. I actually got to the ground 5 or 10 min late and didnt know that we had conseeded (cant the X get a score board? :mad: ) and went away thinking, 'at least we have another bite of the cherry next week' until someone who was quite pi$$ed off looking said it to me :o

dfx-
03/08/2005, 11:24 PM
Could you not judge by our celebrations.......? :D

That sticks in my mind because it was a game where we actually held onto a 0-1 lead in Cork :eek: :eek:

....which doesn't/didn't happen very often - making it all the sweeter... :o

Dr.Nightdub
03/08/2005, 11:50 PM
Apart from the ones already mentioned (Gent in the Intertoto, Rovers in the Cup, League win in Kilkenny, etc), a couple of other specials were:

Pats 4 Bohs 3, Cup semi replay. Always nice to win an epic game

Pats 4 Shels 1, in the foot-and-mouth year. 1-0 down, Michael Holt tackled the keeper "robustly", tackled Scully into the dugout five minutes later and I think Liam Kelly went on to score a hat-trick

Pats 4 Cork 1, in the Dolan Out year. Probably the only decent ninety minutes we played in the League all that season and my god, we were sublime that night, Charlie, Liam Kelly and Tony Bird were carving through Cork at will. At one stage, I really did start thinking about double figures.

jfogarty
04/08/2005, 11:17 AM
Fair few but apart from league wins and that type of stuff, it's the 3-2 Cup game v rovers in Inchicore with the "headcase section" ( (c) Tom McGibney) and Davey Byrne's shinner

that was my first match in over a year due to travelling and what a night. when davey hit the ball it was going a yard wide. still not too sure how it went in

superfrank
04/08/2005, 12:18 PM
Shels v City when Cahil scored the only goal in Tolka to take the title to Bohs (or should I say, from Shels). We needed the win to get into the Intertoto cup in a season that religation wasnt too far from peoples minds with Mountfields time in charge.
Grrr, it would've been our InterToto place if yez hadn't won!

The best wins I remember:

4-1 against Pats at the Carlsile on the last day of the 2000/2001 season. Great game of football, Davy Williamson played brilliant for us. I can't remember who scored. We finished fourth that season, thanks to Cork.

The '99 cup final against Harps. The drama of the first two matches and then Daz(?) scoring the winner in Tolka! Again, I don't remember the scorers. I think Daz scored in one of the matches, Foxy too.

And this season 2-1 against Pats at the Carlisle. Great atmosphere. I remember Daz scored a cracking volley and Zayed scored too. Then in the last few minutes, with all the Pats fans leaving Robbie Doyle scored. When the final whistle went, we went mad.

Terry
04/08/2005, 12:46 PM
There is only really one for us, beating Rovers 1-0 in the cup final of '99.

Others would be beating Cork in the league cup final in turners cross, beating monaghan 8-0 in a Mannion come back special or beating sligo 5-0.

Conor H
04/08/2005, 12:47 PM
Ya that Monaghan game was the funniest game ever. :D

De Town
04/08/2005, 12:51 PM
Obviously for Town fans, it would be the cup wins, all 3 of them, but apart from that:

Cobh 0-2 LTFC - the night we got promoted, will never forget it, LTFC fans outnumber Cobh fans 3-1. One of the best nights ever.

Harps 3-2 LTFC, LTFC win 5-4 on pens - in our second season in the top flight, we finished in the play-off spot. Won the first leg in Flancare 1-0, Fergal Coleman scored, up to Finn Park 4 days later, 0-0 at half time. LAvine scores in the opening seconds of the 2nd half while I'm running in from the chipper! Kev McQ equalises. We're still staying up. Reynolds sent off for LTFC. McQ scores again. Extra time. Down to 10 men, we'd take pens now, McQ scores, felt sick, we're going down, Shay Zellor wins a pen out of nothing, Paul McNally scores, the relief, into shootout, Digger's the hero, saves Harps last penalty, LTFC Fans go wild!

LTFC 4-1 Shels - Last season - Shels win, they win the title, we tear them apart, Prunty's 3rd goal one of the best ever seen in Flancare.

loudy macloud
04/08/2005, 12:59 PM
we dont have much cause for celebration these days
but i can remember a 4-2 at home against shamrock rovers a few years back
we had the monster barry murphy and frank derby at the back, and rod de khors in the middle, we were 2-1 at one stage

2-1 win over monaghan, the year we lost to UCD in the plyoffs
1-0 with 5 to go and up pops myler to knock in 2 goals, the place went nuts, that was back when we got a crowd

even the away leg against UCD in the playoffs, we lost on penalties but the atmosphere was amazing

Schumi
04/08/2005, 1:36 PM
This is much harder than the other thread!

The playoff at home to Athlone would be the obvious one: 2-1 down after the first leg, Swan scores after a minute to level it (no away goals), go 2-0 up before Andy ****ing Myler equalises. Swan misses a penalty in extra time and we win in a shoot out. Magic!

Éanna
04/08/2005, 1:38 PM
Shels v City when Cahil scored the only goal in Tolka to take the title to Bohs (or should I say, from Shels). We needed the win to get into the Intertoto cup in a season that religation wasnt too far from peoples minds with Mountfields time in charge.Yeah, thats my favourite.

wanderette
04/08/2005, 1:40 PM
the three 99 cup finals obviously, but for me the semi final against shelbourne in tolka was even more special. good old mick doohan with one of those goals where he just swung his body at the ball and in it went. and then the second half with us clinging on for dear life, breakaway attack and tresson sprints a full sixty yards to collect a pass and finish coolly. that was the year that he was really one of the best players in the league, and that goal and match epitomised it.

1996 first division shield final, 3-0 down after the first leg in waterford, they came up and we won 3-0 and then on penalties. great stuff!

a mid winter six-pointer match in dundalk about 5 or six seasons ago when we were both struggling to survive in the premier, we won 1-0, a mick doohan header. terrible football on a freezing night but nail biting stuff - the reason we wathc eircom league football.

a first division match against finn harps at home, towards the end of the season, a 1st v 2nd match. won 4-1, walked them off the park. richie parsons pulled a beautiful dummy for somebody (tarzan?) to score. the only first divsion match that season that the highlights were on the telly. i still have the tape...

Bald Student
04/08/2005, 1:42 PM
The playoff at home to Athlone would be the obvious one:No way. 5-0 away to Drogheda to qualify for europe. I don't remember the exact details of the match but I do remember that Barry Ryan was held accountable for the defouling of the toilets in the montrose hotel after.

pineapple stu
04/08/2005, 1:46 PM
No way. 5-0 away to Drogheda to qualify for europe.
Definitely.

I don't remember the exact details of the match but I do remember that Barry Ryan was held accountable for the defouling of the toilets in the montrose hotel after.
Not so definitely! :D

Schumi
04/08/2005, 2:02 PM
No way. 5-0 away to Drogheda to qualify for europe.Yeah, that would be #2. The extra tension in the play-off game just puts it ahead for me.

I don't remember the exact details of the match but I do remember that Barry Ryan was held accountable for the defouling of the toilets in the montrose hotel after. :D

lofty9
04/08/2005, 2:24 PM
As a derry supporter 3 matches spring to mind:

9 -1 at home to Galway , 7-2 away to Harps :D , but the cup replay at Dalymount beating Bohs 3-1 coming from behind and Bohs missing a peno to go 2 up was the best for me (i think it was the TREBLE year 89).

Slash/ED
04/08/2005, 2:41 PM
The '99 cup final against Harps. The drama of the first two matches and then Daz(?) scoring the winner in Tolka! Again, I don't remember the scorers. I think Daz scored in one of the matches, Foxy too.

Jason Byrne got both goals no?

Hajduk Split is the stand out one for obvious reasons for Shels. The season before had some great ones though, beating Bohs 1-0 in Dalymount after they stuffed is in Tolka to all but secure a title we looked like we had thrown away was special, incredible atmosphere at that game and George Hamilton had his big speech about it. The Rovers 4-2 game was something else too, they had beaten us 2-0 in Tolka not long before and at half time are 2-0 up again, magic stuff.

6-4 with Bohs wasn't bad either, 96 cup final replay most fans would have up there but definitely the Split game for me.

tiktok
04/08/2005, 3:35 PM
Coming from 2-0 down to beat rovers in the cup.
Home and Away to NEC for the atmosphere and the scalp.
The recent 2-0 in tolka was great too, have come away from there depressed far too often.

DvB
04/08/2005, 3:50 PM
Loads of League games stand out, 3-2 v bohs at Milltown Jan 87 was special but beating them 1-0 in Dalyer on the night they were celebrating their big anniversary was a nice one too! :p

2-1 away to Odra was my first away win in europe & will always be special!

The trio of 2-1's v pats at Richmond a couple of seasons or so back with late winners in them all, robbos one was the best though for celebrating, we went ballistic!! great night indeed!! :)

Koh

Bosco
04/08/2005, 7:45 PM
Apart from the cup wins,

Cobh 0-2 Ltfc,600 town fans in cobh biggest ever away support,the pitch invasion at the end and celebrating with the player

Harps 3-2 Ltfc(ag 3-3) win 5-4 on penos.My all time favourite town match.The first leg in flancare was very dull and it looked like the secong leg was going to be a non event.First half was poor and when lavine scored that stunner at the start of the first half it looked like it was all over but were we wrong.McHugh was amazing that day and looking back harps deserved to win but that made it all the more sweeter.Remember at 3-2 in extra time just sitting on the terraces with my head in my hands before maccers peno.People had to leave for the penaltys because they couldnt take it.

Pats 0-2 Longford 2003,after losing 2-0 to ucd in flancare it looked like we were going down.500 town fans there and the atmosphere was amazing.Those were the days when the players played with their hearts on their sleeves.It was the first time we had scored 2 all season.

Longford 2-0 Bohs,the night after kenny left for bohs.

Dorgheda 0-5 Longford,our biggest ever win in the league and I was one of the few who witnessed it.

Bohs 1-1 Longford,I know its not a win but it was the game that gave shels the title and i'll never forget the reaction of the bohs fans afterwards.

Longofrd 3-2 Bray,2-0 down at half time,a neutral i had with me tried to convince me to go home,lavine got 2 and stuie holt scored from a corner

De Town
04/08/2005, 8:39 PM
Longford 2-0 Bohs,the night after kenny left for bohs.
Remember that one alright, Section O with their JUDAS signs :D

Dorgheda 0-5 Longford,our biggest ever win in the league and I was one of the few who witnessed it.
I was another who witnessed it. In shíte form, and go and win 5-0, amazing. Liam Kelly's only Town goal IIRC.

Longofrd 3-2 Bray,2-0 down at half time,a neutral i had with me tried to convince me to go home,lavine got 2 and stuie holt scored from a corner
Remember the corner squeezing in alright :D

Stevo Da Gull
04/08/2005, 9:51 PM
Jason Byrne got both goals no?

Correct (still have it on tape ;) )

4-1 versus Pats on the final day of our greatest ever league campaign.1-0 down at half-time, 45 minutes of magic from the Wanderers (Mick Doohan got 2 that day if I'm not mistaken). Cork pipped us to the Inter-Toto by beating Shels 1-0 with an Ollie Cahill goal which also meant that Bohs took the league title (prett sure Bohs put 5 past Kilkenny that day too), we may not have made Europe but damn we were brilliant.

Anto McC
04/08/2005, 11:36 PM
My favorite 2 Shels wins are not cup finals or European games but the two away wins against Cork last season :D Happy days

Speranza
05/08/2005, 12:50 AM
Derry 1 Rovers 0 - Cup Final win with Liam (God) scoring

Derry 2 Harps 1 - God's last match, Noel King and his "destiny' tripe, celebrating among harps players and infront of their fans and best of all relegated them to where they belong!