PDA

View Full Version : Dublin TV Coverage Bias Continues!

pete
03/08/2005, 9:20 PM
TG4 are showing Rovers v Pats next week both of which are releagtion battling teams.

I could somehow understand Setanta being too lazy to leave Dublin but thought RTE & TG4 could rebalance.

Completely unfair subsidy to Dublin clubs. Time for non-dublin teams to stand up for justice!

More than half way & no Live game from Turners Cross or the Brandywell. Has no one noticed theres 10 points between 2nd & 3rd place?

De Town
03/08/2005, 9:21 PM
well surley one of them will show Cork v Shels or Derry v Cork!

Poor Student
03/08/2005, 9:21 PM
I attended the last affair these two served up and it was quite poor.

pete
03/08/2005, 9:24 PM
well surley one of them will show Cork v Shels or Derry v Cork!

Cork City v Shels is move to the Monday night because of Uefa Cup.

If someone does not show City v City then it'll confirm the bias. What odds they'll show Shels v Bohs on the 19th?

A face
03/08/2005, 9:25 PM
I attended the last affair these two served up and it was quite poor.

Rovers V Pats you mean yeah !?! :p

The league needs a proper TV deal ... end of !!

Poor Student
03/08/2005, 9:37 PM
Rovers V Pats you mean yeah !?! :p

The league needs a proper TV deal ... end of !!

Yeah. A 1-1 draw at Richmond. Only entertainment was Russel Payne falling into his own goal with the ball in his hands. :o

That match marked Rovers' 8th point of the season. By sheer coincidence they were detucted a nice figure of 8 points after the match. :D

holidaysong
03/08/2005, 9:38 PM
Dundalk vs. Drogheda Utd is on TV August 26th - Looks like the start of a Co. Louth bias there to me... :p

pete
04/08/2005, 11:43 AM
Louth Derby in FAI Cup is a good decision so can't argue with that.

TG4 are to show a further 6 League (2 announced already) and 3 Cup (Louth derby) games live.

RTE will show 3 FAI Cup (semis and final) and 4 more League games.

Means only 8 League agmes left to show.

Apparently the FAI has no input into what games shown. Seems like strange deal to sign with TV stations...

:rolleyes:

A face
04/08/2005, 12:07 PM
Seems like strange deal to sign with TV stations...

I'd say we dont know the half of it !! :rolleyes: :(

shedite
04/08/2005, 1:15 PM
Apparently the FAI has no input into what games shown. Seems like strange deal to sign with TV stations...

In fairness though, sky sports have the same deal with the Premiership. They choose the games they want. The only twist (which i like) is that they have to go to show every team at home at least once a seaon

Poor Student
04/08/2005, 1:45 PM
In fairness though, sky sports have the same deal with the Premiership. They choose the games they want. The only twist (which i like) is that they have to go to show every team at home at least once a seaon

At the very least there should be a stipulation to show all teams once, not necessarily at home though. I was shocked to see UCD get on TV without such a requirment.

pineapple stu
04/08/2005, 1:50 PM
I was shocked to see UCD get on TV without such a requirment.
It's cost saving on the part of Setanta. I think they leave their gear (or what gear they can) in Dalyer and show a match each week, knowing that it'll likely feature two different teams each week as Rovers and Bohs would alternate home games. I'd be interested to see how often Setanta have shown games from Dalyer.

The games are a joke though. Fair enough - it's great seeing this many games live (and even better seeing UCD :) ), but at E5k a pop to the home team (nothing to the away team is nonsense also, but that's another rant), it is a subsidy to the Dublin teams. Or more correctly, the big four Dublin teams. Derry - Harps would have been a perfect game to show (and would have been justified by all accounts), but Pat's - Shels (?) was shown instead and was a damp squib between two out of form teams.

Still, it's a step or two in the right direction at least...

Poor Student
04/08/2005, 1:52 PM
Sorry, yes, all the money going to the home team is something I'd rectify too.

jfogarty
04/08/2005, 1:57 PM
on paper the rovers vs pats match is the biggest match on friday night so i dont really see the problem is. its a massive game for both sides and should be a good contest whereas cork vs waterford is a bit of a no brainer result wise

Schumi
04/08/2005, 1:58 PM
It's cost saving on the part of Setanta. I think they leave their gear (or what gear they can) in Dalyer and show a match each week, knowing that it'll likely feature two different teams each week as Rovers and Bohs would alternate home games. I'd be interested to see how often Setanta have shown games from Dalyer.
I believe they had originally planned to show Pats v Cork but when that was moved to the Monday because of Europe, the only other game on was Waterford v Derry which, not being in Dublin, doesn't seem to count.

pete
04/08/2005, 2:10 PM
I have no problem with a tv deal that isn't spread evenly amoung the clubs. However i think it should be biased towards the top of the table & not geographically. The fact is Cork & Derry City are by far best teams in the league & it is unfair not to show them on tv.

The Tv payment is a subsidy to dublin teams but the exposure for sponsors is even greater. Sure even Rovers use tv appearance as means of selling exposure to sponsors.

I can't hink of 1 valid reason to show Rovers & Pats so much this season.

Setanta expressed a desire to mainly show Dublin baded games as in reality they not not really a National Station but i'd expect a bit better from TG4/RTE.

EnDai
04/08/2005, 2:15 PM
But by sticking to the top of the table it just puts more money into the pockets of the clubs that are gonna get the biggest pay day at the end of the year, who probably have higher gates, they'll get better sponsorship etc etc.

It needs to be fair.

WHat if CCFC were a relegation battling team? Using either of the plans they'd not get shown, ever, and you'd have no leg to stand on to complain.

TheOwl
04/08/2005, 2:19 PM
I have no problem with a tv deal that isn't spread evenly amoung the clubs. However i think it should be biased towards the top of the table & not geographically. The fact is Cork & Derry City are by far best teams in the league & it is unfair not to show them on tv.

The Tv payment is a subsidy to dublin teams but the exposure for sponsors is even greater. Sure even Rovers use tv appearance as means of selling exposure to sponsors.

Setanta expressed a desire to mainly show Dublin baded games as in reality they not not really a National Station but i'd expect a bit better from TG4/RTE.

I'm sick of Shels being on TV, it seems to put a jinx on us.

It is very unfair on the country clubs though. Again Setanta is effectively a Dublin station so that is fair enough, but in a summer when the RTE cameras have been all over Ireland covering GAA games live, there should at least have been a few games at other grounds. I more sick of the same 3 or 4 stadiums than the same 3 or 4 teams. Would love to see Derry vs. Bohs or Cork vs. Rovers, instead of Bohs vs. Derry or Rovers vs. Cork.

WeAreRovers
04/08/2005, 2:22 PM

I can "hink" of loads -

1) The first game for Ireland's most famous and most successful club under the ownership of the fans. That's pretty historic no matter who you support. And remember we're still bigger news than any other club (admittedly among people who don't follow the league)

2) The two most colourful sets of fans/Ultra groups in the country. We started it, Pats were next and there's been a healthy "tifo" rivalry ever since.

3) It's a relegation 6 pointer.

I could go on.

KOH

pete
04/08/2005, 2:23 PM
If City were in Relegation Battle by definition they'd be playing crap football so wouldn't have a problem if not shown. On the other hand i've no problem with showing a big relegation battle when no other option.

With a lot of Live games & small league its bad to show same teams every week.

I think if Derry City v Cork City not shown in 2 weeks time it'll be the end of a fair & balanced league.

Fair_play_boy
04/08/2005, 2:44 PM
TG4 are showing Rovers v Pats next week both of which are releagtion battling teams.

I could somehow understand Setanta being too lazy to leave Dublin but thought RTE & TG4 could rebalance.

Completely unfair subsidy to Dublin clubs. Time for non-dublin teams to stand up for justice!

More than half way & no Live game from Turners Cross or the Brandywell. Has no one noticed theres 10 points between 2nd & 3rd place?I became a regular supporter of Cork City only in recent years (Liam Murphy's time) but in that time, did City ever do well in front of live TV cameras at Turners Cross?
Also, as we need to be cash conscious, is the sum of €5,000 compensation for lost ticket sales paltry or what?
The longer the live TV coverage stays away from the Cross the better.
Now, live cameras at Tolka is another matter . . . . . ;)