Sunday 6th November (All 19:00)

St Pats v Shelbourne
UCD v Shamrock Rovers
Derry v Dundalk
Bohs v Sligo
Drogs v Finn Harps

sbgawa
04/11/2022, 4:11 PM
looking forward to a final run out for what has been a long season.
For anyone looking for a bit of comedy gold have a look at the Derry Journal today where Eddie Mahon maintains the league table does lie and Derry are clearly the best team in the legue, Rovers had the advantage of having loads of Dublin Derbies and less travel........
Its so embarressing id expect it to be taken down soon......wants the FAI to step in :)
Soory i cant link maybe someone else can,

ger121
04/11/2022, 4:34 PM
looking forward to a final run out for what has been a long season.
For anyone looking for a bit of comedy gold have a look at the Derry Journal today where Eddie Mahon maintains the league table does lie and Derry are clearly the best team in the legue, Rovers had the advantage of having loads of Dublin Derbies and less travel........
Its so embarressing id expect it to be taken down soon......wants the FAI to step in :)
Soory i cant link maybe someone else can,

I had Rico’s “Ridden rock solid” rant in my head reading that.

culloty82
04/11/2022, 4:35 PM
Here you go, sbgawa:

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/football/shamrock-rovers-made-it-three-in-a-row-but-did-they-have-an-advantage-3904856

Longfordian
04/11/2022, 4:49 PM
Half their games are away? That can't be right. It's a disgrace.

nigel-harps1954
04/11/2022, 5:52 PM
Here you go, sbgawa:

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/football/shamrock-rovers-made-it-three-in-a-row-but-did-they-have-an-advantage-3904856

This is hilarious.

Can we argue to the FAI that someone else should be relegated because we had to play half our games away from Finn Park?

sbgawa
04/11/2022, 7:15 PM
Justice for Harps!!.
I think the eejits argument if you could call it that is that derry had to travel long distances for their away matches but rovers had a lot close to tallaght. He's missing the fact that Derry gey to play all their home games against teams that have travelled long distances....obviously he doesn't understand that distance is the same in both directions.....who is this clown ? ;)

sbgawa
04/11/2022, 7:17 PM
More importantly then this shels could with a win climb to sixth if bohs lose which would be a pretty decent finish for duffer not that 7th isn't either combined with a cup final. Dundalk win by 3 in derry to finish second??? Hardly likely unless Derry decide to rest everyone for the cup final buy I suppose we will know when the team is announced

brendy_éire
04/11/2022, 8:08 PM
This is hilarious.

Can we argue to the FAI that someone else should be relegated because we had to play half our games away from Finn Park?

That's a strange article, though Eddie does come out with some mad stuff from time to time.
Alright, he has a point that we have more travelling than a non-Dublin team, but it's hardly news. Not exactly sure what the FAI could do about it, bar having a centralised pool for travel costs.
Still not as bonkers are his article about how John Delaney essentially saved the FAI with his dodgy loans and whatever else.

Anyways, only one game with any consequence, but I can't see us losing by three to Dundalk, even with some players rested. I'd probably choose to play Fats and Duffy for just a short time, no point having them on the full game.

Wonder what Shels will do team-wise. Put a strong side out, keep the momentum going? Or rest some lads, keep them fit for the final?
They are playing on Pat's after all, who need Shels to lose the final. Could be a few robust challenges going in, if Pat's were that way inclined.

DCWA
04/11/2022, 9:41 PM
Eddie Mahon is a moron and should have been dumped years ago by the journal. He comes out with garbage time and time again and the fact he still has a full page column in the paper reflects the quality of journalism in the local Derry papers - it is in the gutter.

Whether it is an array of typo’s per article or a seemingly endless list of things that a simple fact check would show are factually incorrect or this type of guff it really is a constant embarrassment. Even the DJ website is possibly the least user friendly I have ever come across and has been that way for a long time without some clown thinking maybe we should sort this.

ontheotherhand
04/11/2022, 9:42 PM
Here you go, sbgawa:

In a world where Pat Dolan and Roddy Collins both have regular column inches, that still stands out as one of the worst pieces of sports journalism I've ever read. I thought the Derry Journal had a Waterford Whispers style section to it when I first came across it.

pineapple stu
04/11/2022, 9:56 PM
Whether it is an array of typo’s per article
Tee hee!

Anyways, the Derry Journal is getting great clicks off us here, and I think that's what modern journalism is about, sadly.

sbgawa
04/11/2022, 10:44 PM
I think the number of clicks from here is pretty minimal. They need to ditch dopes like this

joey B
04/11/2022, 11:48 PM
I think the number of clicks from here is pretty minimal. They need to ditch dopes like this

I'd say papers up and down the country still have oul fellas like Eddie Mahon,Patsy McGowan wrote absolute drivel for years,he still thinks Harps should stay in Finn Park ffs:cool:

sbgawa
05/11/2022, 12:09 AM
its one of the problems with newspapers these days the money is buttons and doesnt support new young guys that actually need to earn a living.
Dinosaurs like this guy are prepared to continue working for buttons as they are at a different stage of life.
Its a problem at different levels in most papers.
Thank god for the liles of Dan in the Indo at least he is infromed

DCWA
05/11/2022, 5:17 AM
Tee hee!

I had a feeling this was going to happen!

brendy_éire
06/11/2022, 6:30 PM
Do red cards in the final league game carry into the cup?

joey B
06/11/2022, 6:46 PM

I think it does but not 100%......

Yossarian
06/11/2022, 6:51 PM

Two stupid players, but brainless from Diallo to react like he did and it’ll cost him far more than it will for McCourt.

CorribsideSteve
06/11/2022, 6:52 PM
I think it does but not 100%......
Yeah, the commentators in Dubdalk Derry match just confirmed that Diallo will not have any involvement next weekend. Mad altercation, daft from McCourt to punch/push out at Diallo's head, but his reaction was just as red card worthy. Sad for him, but that's the breaks some times. It's dampened down the match a lot after a bright start and cracking goal from Keith Ward.

Finlay Harp
06/11/2022, 8:07 PM
So long Premier Division. It’s been emotional!

Kiki Balboa
06/11/2022, 8:20 PM
I know it was Derrys 'B' team, but I wonder how low they would have finished if they didn't sign Connolly.

Jd2793
06/11/2022, 9:10 PM
i remain pretty unconvinced about higgins + derry.

ger121
06/11/2022, 9:38 PM
Trust us to put in one of our best performances of the season in the last game. Hard to tell who will be there next season but a clear out would not be a bad start.

RealJohn91
06/11/2022, 9:44 PM
Yeah there's group of players you could do something with next season. Clarke, Doherty, Flores, McManus and Twardek from tonight starting line up I'd keep. Burt is probably gone and the rest I wouldn't lose sleep about leaving either.

There's definitely been an improvement since Devine took over but that wouldn't be hard after how bad the season was till then.

2 Year Contract
06/11/2022, 9:46 PM
Lovely send off for Bermo in Inchicore tonight on his last appearance in LOI football after 13 season with the club. Shels had a couple of first half chances that Odumosu did well to save but they were an absolute basket case in defence as usual as the 13 goals pats have put past them in 4 games this season shows. Second half was a really poor watch and was real end of season dead rubber stuff. Good finish by Ben McCormack at the end though.

ger121
06/11/2022, 10:14 PM
Yeah there's group of players you could do something with next season. Clarke, Doherty, Flores, McManus and Twardek from tonight starting line up I'd keep. Burt is probably gone and the rest I wouldn't lose sleep about leaving either.

There's definitely been an improvement since Devine took over but that wouldn't be hard after how bad the season was till then.

When Burt went off and gave the fans an applause, it looked like a goodbye. Would agree with the players you’ve listed, with the exception of Twardek. I just think he’s not good enough for us for where we need to go. Not sure what will happen with Coote. I’d also take a punt on Varian.

Philosophizer
06/11/2022, 11:10 PM
When Burt went off and gave the fans an applause, it looked like a goodbye. Would agree with the players you’ve listed, with the exception of Twardek. I just think he’s not good enough for us for where we need to go. Not sure what will happen with Coote. I’d also take a punt on Varian.
Yeah I’d give Varian a chance next year too. He’s shown enough flashes of quality. Had low confidence in front of goal because he went ages without scoring but after a couple recently he might be worth a try.
McDaid is worth keeping imo. Teardrop could be a fine squad player.
Tonight was my 1st time ever seeing McManus start a match and I thought he was a nice tidy player.

Kiki Balboa
07/11/2022, 7:59 AM
Just some notes on the final league table. Same amount of wins for Dundalk, Derry, and St. Pats, with St. Pats scoring the most goals. I think it is fair to say Connolly was the difference between them, but really, probably the squads had the same amount of talent.

Also, Dundalk and Derry finished on higher points than 2nd place last year.

There is a bigger difference in points between Shelbourne (7th, 41pts) and the last potential European Spot (St. Pats 4th, 61pts), and St. Pats and Rovers (1st, 79pts)

DCWA
07/11/2022, 8:48 AM
i remain pretty unconvinced about higgins + derry.

2nd place and cup final in 1st year of a declared 3 year plan, advise us good sir, how can we convince you?

oriel
07/11/2022, 9:05 AM
That was a very good performance by Dundalk last night, played lovely football passing in triangles all over the pitch, one of the best displays of the season actually.

Solid end to the season and worthy for euro qualification, just 2 goals away from finishing second outright.

Jd2793
07/11/2022, 9:53 AM
2nd place and cup final in 1st year of a declared 3 year plan, advise us good sir, how can we convince you?

are ye actually better than dundalk who have a considerably smaller budget? i would say no.

Kiki Balboa
07/11/2022, 10:05 AM
I think the disappointing aspect for Derry was that there were many opportunities to put real pressure on Rovers and challenging for the league, and despite many high profile signings in the offseason, they completely failed to do so.

They have shown they don't really have consistency to be a title contender, finishing 13 points behind Rovers is just as similar to Pats last season- and look what happened to them this year.

They haven't won a game since their semi-final against Treaty, and if they don't win the final, I think its a season that really failed to deliver on its promise.

DCWA
07/11/2022, 10:07 AM
are ye actually better than dundalk who have a considerably smaller budget? i would say no.

I would say we aren’t in the business of making comparisons and all at Derry are happy with how the season has went.

If we were in the business of making comparisons then we would be looking toward Rovers as the benchmark and saying our biggest signing and arguably the leagues best player got injured after 9 mins and missed most of the year or else we just may have been a position higher.

Anyway, we will be very happy for people to be unconvinced by us I dare say.

2 Year Contract
07/11/2022, 10:20 AM
They have shown they don't really have consistency to be a title contender, finishing 13 points behind Rovers is just as similar to Pats last season- and look what happened to them this year.

Pats finished this season with just 1 point less than last season, scoring 1 goal more and conceding 5 goals less.

Considering the turnover of players in the offseason, rather than a Pats regression it mainly just shows that Derry and Dundalk of 2022 are far better than Sligo and Derry of 2021.

Jd2793
07/11/2022, 11:00 AM
I would say we aren’t in the business of making comparisons and all at Derry are happy with how the season has went.

If we were in the business of making comparisons then we would be looking toward Rovers as the benchmark and saying our biggest signing and arguably the leagues best player got injured after 9 mins and missed most of the year or else we just may have been a position higher.

Only natural to compare your team to those around you, no? O'Donnell has done a fantastic job on a much smaller budget with a lot of lads who wouldnt get a look in with derry. Derry will no doubt spend a lot over the winter (as is their right with an owner like that) but after 18 months of Higgins im still not convinced hes all hes cracked up to be.

DCWA
07/11/2022, 11:39 AM
Only natural to compare your team to those around you, no? O'Donnell has done a fantastic job on a much smaller budget with a lot of lads who wouldnt get a look in with derry. Derry will no doubt spend a lot over the winter (as is their right with an owner like that) but after 18 months of Higgins im still not convinced hes all hes cracked up to be.

We were 2nd bottom (and in serious danger of being relegated or at least in the play off) when Higgins took over and he overseen an incredible turn around last season without significant investment.

Obviously it remains to be seen as if the team and manager can win a league but that is more down to Rovers being so far ahead of the pack than it is our manager, the job he has done at Derry to date is beyond question.

sbgawa
07/11/2022, 11:56 AM

I think saying Duffy wasnt available is to easy an ansewer as all clubs (unless you are very lucky) have players out with injuries.
Burke and Byrne argueably our two best players played bit parts at best for most of the season and we lost Mandroiu in July (ironically he was injured until September anyway) even if he had stayed.
LEts say Duffy is fit and rareing to go next Feb , id argue if Burke and Byrne are fit you are further behind not closer.

Also Derry with Duffy in situ surrendered very meakly against Shels and Sligo before comeing to Tallaght and losing. If Derry dont strengthen significantly over the winter i will be surprised.
Whatever Higgins says publically he cant be happy with how the season has finished.

2 Year Contract
07/11/2022, 12:09 PM
Just watched back the highlights of the Derry Dundalk game yesterday. Had to laugh at McCourt pretending to be shocked when he eventually received his red card for a blatant punch to the head of Diallo :D

pineapple stu
07/11/2022, 12:35 PM
That's bizarre - how the ref sends Diallo off, having missed McCourt's actions, I don't know. I presume the linesman spotted McCourt and said he had to go too. It's just before the 1:00 mark here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXn3-v6-zPY

Also - and this obviously isn't purely a Dundalk issue - but every single player who crowded around the ref should be booked. And if the game ends up 8 v 7, tough.

DCWA
07/11/2022, 12:58 PM
I think saying Duffy wasnt available is to easy an ansewer as all clubs (unless you are very lucky) have players out with injuries.
Burke and Byrne argueably our two best players played bit parts at best for most of the season and we lost Mandroiu in July (ironically he was injured until September anyway) even if he had stayed.
LEts say Duffy is fit and rareing to go next Feb , id argue if Burke and Byrne are fit you are further behind not closer.

Also Derry with Duffy in situ surrendered very meakly against Shels and Sligo before comeing to Tallaght and losing. If Derry dont strengthen significantly over the winter i will be surprised.
Whatever Higgins says publically he cant be happy with how the season has finished.

Yeah thats all fair enough as regards Duffy I suppose that line of think is in the case of all other things being as they were. Which of course is unrealistic and unfair.

I don’t think anyone can be happy with our final 4 league performances no but if we win the cup there will be no one saying it was anything other than an excellent season.

A N Mouse
07/11/2022, 1:02 PM

I mean sure it's easy to say that, just like it's easy to say even with injuries rovers should have been out of sight earlier. But as these things go (if my granny had balls etc), everything else staying the same and Duffy being available all season, it's hardly an outlandish suggestion. Is it?

Yes Derry will have to sign well, and I'm not sure where that's going to come from. Unlikely to sign three players (and a manager) from a recent three in a row winning team. But they're hardly the only ones.

At home Derry dropped 23 points, Pat's 21, Dundalk 13 and Rovers 4. Any improvement by Derry would leave little room for error elsewhere.

sbgawa
07/11/2022, 1:38 PM
I mean sure it's easy to say that, just like it's easy to say even with injuries rovers should have been out of sight earlier. But as these things go (if my granny had balls etc), everything else staying the same and Duffy being available all season, it's hardly an outlandish suggestion. Is it?

Yes Derry will have to sign well, and I'm not sure where that's going to come from. Unlikely to sign three players (and a manager) from a recent three in a row winning team. But they're hardly the only ones.

At home Derry dropped 23 points, Pat's 21, Dundalk 13 and Rovers 4. Any improvement by Derry would leave little room for error elsewhere.

Its not outlandish at all that if Derry had Duffy and Rovers had the same injury issues that Derry would have been closer than 13 points but if i said everything the same except we have Jack and Burke playing 90 mins every week its not putlandish to say we win the league by 30 points.

My only point is that same squads next season for both and Rovers win again IMO and i think Higgins probably knows that hence Derry will strengthen.

If Liam Burt is coming to Rovers as seems to be expected he will be a bit of creative cover for next year

sbgawa
07/11/2022, 1:40 PM

Twardek was a super player when he was at Bohs first time around and i was worried when he came back tbh.
He just doesnt seem to be the same player, any chance Devine can get a better tune out of him?? that being said he was great under Long first time so it cant be that unless he was playing different positions.

joey B
07/11/2022, 1:53 PM
I've seen some bad goalkeeping this year believe me but Tadgh Ryan has to be one of the worst ever in the league,another howler last night I just seen........

Jd2793
07/11/2022, 2:04 PM
I've seen some bad goalkeeping this year believe me but Tadgh Ryan has to be one of the worst ever in the league,another howler last night I just seen........

hes poor but hes incredibly bad at long range shots, saw enough of it down at cork. not bad at reacting to save some close rangers though. another guy with a bit of an inflated ego, wanted a pay rise off cork and we didnt give him one so he f'd off to limerick. nothing more than a FD keeper.

pineapple stu
07/11/2022, 2:14 PM
Dropped a clanger in the play-offs against us last season as well.

Walsh for Sligo wasn't great for Bohs' opener either. May be some reserve keeper spots available in the coming months.

Philosophizer
07/11/2022, 2:18 PM
He’s terrible all right. whenever I saw him this year he was always very dodgy.
He’s third choice for a reason behind Talbot and McCracken, but injuries to both of them meant he played for nearly half the season - a big reason for Bohs awful form in the latter half of the season.

A N Mouse
07/11/2022, 3:08 PM
Its not outlandish at all that if Derry had Duffy and Rovers had the same injury issues that Derry would have been closer than 13 points but if i said everything the same except we have Jack and Burke playing 90 mins every week its not putlandish to say we win the league by 30 points.

My only point is that same squads next season for both and Rovers win again IMO and i think Higgins probably knows that hence Derry will strengthen.

If Liam Burt is coming to Rovers as seems to be expected he will be a bit of creative cover for next year

Sure, Rovers have a deeper squad and could conceivably go the season unbeaten. But 13 points is still closer than it should have been given that depth. And remains to be seen if the last couple of games come back to bite Higgins in the arse.

In terms of first 11s I think it might be bit closer than people are willing to admit. Still probably 2 starters and an injection of cynicism from a title challenge though. And who exactly would be expecting Higgins to look at this season and think, 'you know what, I don't think I need to add anyone to this squad'?

ontheotherhand
07/11/2022, 4:37 PM
Derry won't be 13 points behind Rovers next season. For whatever reason they threw in the towel at the end and had their blip in the middle but when on song they are really good. They need 3 signings I think, something different up front, some more bite in midfield and probably another centre half. I haven't seen a lot of them but it seems like Connolly and Diallo made a big difference so a few more like that and they will be really strong. Of course Rovers need the same so it will be close next season I think. A lot will depend on how much Mannus, Gaffney, Finn etc have in the tank and who both clubs can get in. If Derry win the cup it should spur them on as it did us but their recent form is very poor. I know all the Derry folks on here like Maher but his distribution against us in the last game was woeful. Maybe just a blip but I think he'll need to go up a level. Mannus has been exceptional and probably worth 13 points all on his own.

Having Byrne all year may have seen us more comfortable but I'm not so sure really. He hasn't been anywhere near his top level in ages and tends to slow us down. We were at our best this season when we went more direct to Gaffney who was our most effective player by a mile. Burke was a huge loss but that's what you're getting with Burke, he seems to be always on the verge of injury. If Danny had stayed I think he would have had more of a say, particularly in Europe where we looked too slow up front. I'd hope we are looking for a similar type of player up front along with an energetic midfielder and wing back.