PDA

View Full Version : Passenger jet bursts into flames when landing

Ringo
02/08/2005, 10:46 PM
Can't believe everyone got out alive. A good night for all the families :) .

hamish
02/08/2005, 10:49 PM
Can't believe everyone got out alive. A good night for all the families :) .

Yeah Ringo - those flames!! Thank God, air crew were well organised.

Another Footie member, my niece, is flying to Toronto tomorrow for a holiday - hope she doesn't see the news.

Fair_play_boy
02/08/2005, 10:58 PM
Only saw the smoke in a distant shot. Didn't realise everyone got out in one piece. Good news. Everybody must have moved fairly lively.
On a related point, a buddy of mine qualified as an air hostess in a private training school. Apparently, the older, heavier, and slower you are, the greater distance it is supposed to be from your seat to the nearest emergency exit. That is international air transport policy, seemingly. :eek:

sligoman
02/08/2005, 10:59 PM
Another Footie member, my niece,

Ah jaysus Hamish, why didn't you tell me and I could be making fun of her aswell :p :D, who is she? :confused:

hamish
03/08/2005, 4:45 AM
Ah jaysus Hamish, why didn't you tell me and I could be making fun of her aswell :p :D, who is she? :confused:

See last two pages of totty thread Sligoman - you're too nice a young chap - I'd hate to see you hurt - even got a Rovers fan. :D

paul_oshea
03/08/2005, 8:14 AM
can someone tell me why you would haev a creek at teh end of a runway??? :confused: :confused:

Peadar
03/08/2005, 8:32 AM
can someone tell me why you would haev a creek at teh end of a runway??? :confused: :confused:

It was a "ravine" not a creek.
Besides, reports suggest that the plane missed the runway by 200m.

Thankfully it would appear that there were only minor injuries.

OwlsFan
03/08/2005, 9:13 AM
Sky, with their usual hype, called it "Crash and Burn"! Unbelievable. Do they have to attach a slogan to everything?

Great everyone got out - however, they'll be living in the clothes they were wearing as the suitcases went up in smoke.

Peadar
03/08/2005, 9:23 AM
they'll be living in the clothes they were wearing as the suitcases went up in smoke.

I'm sure they'll get over their loss.
Clothes are easily replaced.
Airlines offer a limited amount of compensation for loss/damage to luggage anyway.

Lionel Ritchie
03/08/2005, 10:16 AM
Only saw the smoke in a distant shot. Didn't realise everyone got out in one piece. Good news. Everybody must have moved fairly lively.
On a related point, a buddy of mine qualified as an air hostess in a private training school. Apparently, the older, heavier, and slower you are, the greater distance it is supposed to be from your seat to the nearest emergency exit. That is international air transport policy, seemingly. :eek:

I've trained to work with people with special needs and there's a similar policy in operation which sounds cruel and almost eugenic but the thinking behind it is sound.

Namely in an emergency situation -be it a vehicle accident or a building evacuation -you get the fit and ambulent out first. When they're cleared you go back for the non-ambulent (wheelchair users etc).

It's just the safest way for all. if you try to take out the wheelchair users first you'll cause a panic as they are invariable slower moving than the walkers. it's panic that costs lives in emergency situations, people get crushed and trampled upon.

Peadar
03/08/2005, 11:04 AM
It's just the safest way for all. if you try to take out the wheelchair users first you'll cause a panic as they are invariable slower moving than the walkers. it's panic that costs lives in emergency situations, people get crushed and trampled upon.

While that is true, passengers seated by emergency exits must be able bodied. They must be willing and able to open the exits in an emergency.
It's the policy of most airlines to not allow children or elderly passengers sit beside exits.

With automated self service check-in at many airports now, it's difficult to control where passengers sit in relation to exits other that the specific exit rows.

Lionel Ritchie
03/08/2005, 11:29 AM
While that is true, passengers seated by emergency exits must be able bodied. They must be willing and able to open the exits in an emergency.
It's the policy of most airlines to not allow children or elderly passengers sit beside exits.

With automated self service check-in at many airports now, it's difficult to control where passengers sit in relation to exits other that the specific exit rows.

This is true. Though not only is it difficult -I flew with Ryanair last thursday and Friday and there was no attempt to arrange where people sat. no seat numbers on tickets. nothing. sit where you like.

Poor Student
03/08/2005, 1:22 PM
This is true. Though not only is it difficult -I flew with Ryanair last thursday and Friday and there was no attempt to arrange where people sat. no seat numbers on tickets. nothing. sit where you like.

Have you ever flown with Ryanair before? :confused: There's are only sequence numbers. 1-66 board first (though Dublin airport is incapable of doing this procedure) then the rest second. Sit where you like once you get on.

Dotsy
03/08/2005, 1:55 PM

They have always operated that policy. They always get the people sitting in the exit rows to read the safety card on how to open the doors and will ask infirm people or kids to move.

Green Tribe
03/08/2005, 1:58 PM
They have always operated that policy. They always get the people sitting in the exit rows to read the safety card on how to open the doors and will ask infirm people or kids to move.

or really big people, must be tricky explaining to them without offending :eek: