PDA

View Full Version : off topic

MylesNotMiley
12/10/2022, 12:07 PM
Offended by a celebratory chant.... Some people love an excuse.

Insidetherock
12/10/2022, 1:15 PM
This rush to get offended by every single mention of the IRA sickens me to be honest.

People will happily sing Amhr?n na bFhiann, despite the fact that when it was written, it would have been regarded by the "powers that be" as seditious, a call to terrorism whatever.

But it became "legitimised" because it was made the national anthem years later?

I have similar arguments on different fora regarding the IRA, and they generally boil down to the same fundamental debate.. when did the "good IRA" become the "bad IRA"

Because anyone who thinks it was ok from Padraig Pearse to declare an independent Republic on the steps of the GPO, and complains about Francis Hughes is a hypocrite

But the worst of it all is its taking away from the fantastic womens performance.. lets just talk about that now

CSAD
12/10/2022, 2:23 PM
i honestly don't have a clue what the point being made is

The point stop pretending to have a problem with terrorist organization when for a year you showed support for one yourself.

CSAD
12/10/2022, 2:25 PM
including killing innocent civilians including many from their own side??
incredible statement

It shows how influenced we are by modern media

Apparently we aren?t allowed to achknowledge the IRA in any positive light but at the same time we must at our respects to a queen who?s monarch caused terror on this island for centuries?

paul_oshea
12/10/2022, 3:51 PM
Irish people are unbelievably hypocritical when it comes to this stuff. Anything related to Loyalists/oRangemen singing any sort of chant and we're straight on it. Yet singing any pro IRA chant is fair game.

Jd2793
12/10/2022, 4:04 PM
Irish people are unbelievably hypocritical when it comes to this stuff. Anything related to Loyalists/oRangemen singing any sort of chant and we're straight on it. Yet singing any pro IRA chant is fair game.

celtic symphony is not a sectarian/pro ira song hope this helps

seanfhear
12/10/2022, 5:24 PM
The Brits will be awful upset when they find out what our anthem is about?
They have just spent 11 days in Overt British Nationalism to bury an old woman.

paul_oshea
12/10/2022, 5:26 PM
celtic symphony is not a sectarian/pro ira song hope this helps

Neither is the air of Billy boys. But when you chant oh ahh up the Ra it's the same thing

paul_oshea
12/10/2022, 5:27 PM
This forum does go to show as I've always believed how out of step it is with the general public view of things. It's always been a case for me of wanting to understand how the more radical think, but not shared by the majority. This is just another facet of that way of thinking

Jd2793
12/10/2022, 5:35 PM
Neither is the air of Billy boys. But when you chant oh ahh up the Ra it's the same thing

billy boys mention being up to their knees in fenian blood. i must have missed the part in celtic symphony where they used similar sectarian language.