PDA

View Full Version : Cork City FC -v- Waterford United FC

Fair_play_boy
02/08/2005, 3:42 PM
7.45, Friday 5th August. Should attract a good crowd.
With the different suspensions and injuries, I forget who is available this Friday night. If Divine is still out, and no suspensions affect us, I suppose the team will be as follows:
McNulty
Hoggie, Benno, Big Dan, Danny
Greg
O'Donovan, Gamble, Georgie, Kearney
Flynnie
Subs: Fenn, Behan, Derek, O'Brien, Woods

Counting Crow
02/08/2005, 8:54 PM
Has to be the same team that started against Pats.......

......so George drops back to midfield and Fenn plays.......5 goals in 6 games FFS, how could you drop him.

Plus, he's playing against his old club!!!

Waaaaaterford now missing the following players from last season, when they actually gave us a game...

Connor,
Frost,
Reynolds,
Murphy,

oh yeah, and Bruton :D

Fair_play_boy
02/08/2005, 9:57 PM
Has to be the same team that started against Pats.......

......so George drops back to midfield and Fenn plays.......5 goals in 6 games FFS, how could you drop him.

Plus, he's playing against his old club!!!

Waaaaaterford now missing the following players from last season, when they actually gave us a game...

Connor,
Frost,
Reynolds,
Murphy,

oh yeah, and Bruton :DMissed the Pats game. Who didn't start, Greg?

daveh
02/08/2005, 10:07 PM
Roy was suspended so fenn came straight into the team,where he should stay IMO

patsh
03/08/2005, 6:48 AM
Tough game this, I think WUFC could snatch a point.

Looking at them on Chorus last night, they might have easily scored 3 or 4 against Derry, and arer certainly not as bad as they are being made out to be.

ccfcman
03/08/2005, 3:52 PM
pfff waterford are dire, theyve got a few games all season thaty they try in, ie. City!

regardless city to win by 2 clear goals or better

FlyingColumnist
03/08/2005, 7:51 PM
I saw the same game on Chorus and I reckon my beer-bellied herd of wildebeests that pass as a pub football team would fancy their chances againt Waterford at the moment. Nothing short of a handy three points will do here!

Fair_play_boy
03/08/2005, 10:47 PM
Tough game this, I think WUFC could snatch a point.I agree. Waterford have sh@g all to play for. Taking two points from our lead at the top of the EL would be as good a result as they can hope for. Points anywhere else are relatively meaningless. They will put in a huge effort. An important test for City, IMHO.

Hecko
04/08/2005, 9:10 AM
Ehhh - I reckon Waaaaaterford have quite a bit to plat for. On form they're heading straight to the first division.

With the way Derry are playing it looks like every game is a must win, but we should be confident. IMO the most impressive thing about the last few games has been the professional way we have put teams away, even when not as fluent as we can be.

Isn't it incredible that we can have 46 points out of a possible 57 and still not be pulling clear.

daveh
05/08/2005, 10:11 PM
1-1 and a pretty poor performance from city,we were lucky with the derry result so our lead isnt affected thankfully

we had a lot of possession in the 2nd half but i cant remember any clear cut chances,but waterford having 3 players booked for time wasting says a lot about their tactics,and holden time wasting after 20 minutes says a lot too :rolleyes:

it pains me to say it but a draw was a fair result.even for all their time wasting,waterford played well and were great defensively in fairness but city should be beating teams like waterford week in,week out.....

On the brightside our lead is still intact and djurgarden will definately underestimate us after tonights performance

Rebal Boy
05/08/2005, 10:19 PM
I'm gutted we didn't win tonight. :( With Derry sliping up we should be atleast 6pts ahead of them and not 4. Hopefully Drogs will beat Shels Monday night to kill off Shels challlange. Shels will be suffering a europe hangover. :D

Fair_play_boy
05/08/2005, 10:48 PM
Georgie looks tired, IMO. A spell on the subs bench would do him the world of good. Was it him who nicked it past McNulty? No way was that a free in, by the way.
The Waterford LB played a stormer. He put in crucial tackles in the last 15 minutes, catching Roy twice. Having said that, it was not his best game for city, not by a country mile!
Gamble, Kearney and Fenn are a joy to watch when they hit this form. Fenn was unlucky to have both his shots blocked.
Thought Benno played out of his skin. Haven't seen him coming forward that much in ages, although he was caught horribly once or twice.
This result was on the cards, IMO. Waterford definitely deserved a point out of this game, and although it cost us a greater lead at the top, hopefully it will help them stay in the Premier division. No way do I want another Dublin or non-Munster team replacing them.
One gripe I have is that the ref allowed way too many reckless tackles go relatively unpunished. Kearney could have a broken leg tonight if he wasn't so nimble footed. That 2-footed tackle happened right in front of me. I could see the Waterford guy intended to take him out, no question. Also, the Waterford player that followed through with his studs on McNulty in the first half! :mad:
All in all, the game lived up to its reputation as a Munster derby, no shortage of passion and commitment and incident. For the neutral (if there were any), this must have been an enjoyable night out, especially the second half.

harry crumb
05/08/2005, 11:57 PM
Great analysis there "boy".

I enjoyed the game. It would have been great if Derek had got the goal at the end.

Breen and Purcell I think it was were impressive for Waterford.

Hoggie is playing out of his skin at the moment.

Kearney was excellent again tonight. How about "CONTRACT FOR KEARNEY CHANTS"

EnDai
06/08/2005, 12:01 AM
No way do I want another Dublin or non-Munster team replacing them.

So, surely thats just not wanting another non-Munster club replacing them, why then need to drag Dublin into it? :p

Nice enough results from a Shelbourne perspective tonight, but by all accounts it sounds like it was a good game, I'm looking forward to the highlights! :)

radar
06/08/2005, 12:33 AM
I must agree about the Waterford left back(no 3). Played a great game. George misses the next two games due to suspension so thats his rest sorted. Just a couple of brief points about the match. Greg O Halloran is not a right winger and it seems an injustice to the guy to play him there. At home against a struggling team surely O' Donovan should have started. Or even the same team with Gamble on the right. Greg seems to be one of those guys who suffers because of his versatility. The other point regards height. There were loads of good crosses put into the box tonight but the Waterford lads mopped them up. They had a huge height advantage. I wonder if Willie Bruton is the anwser or is he too alike our present forwards? I think Denis Behan was injured which would explain his absence from the bench. I dont want to come accross as being critical of Damien Richardson or City in any way. There is no team anywhere who will win every match so well done City and well done Mr Richardson.

Schunter Netz
06/08/2005, 12:34 AM
Nobody in their right minds wants another dublin team in the league - the bottom half is already full :D
Hoggy was brilliant, as was Danny Murphy. I agree that George needs a rest. Gamble and O'Halloran is a decent midfield, maybe even more balanced than how we're playing at the moment.
Finally, O'Flynn was brutal, and his selfish attitude was shocking. He was so wrong to berate Roy for impeding him on that goal chance in the second half. Truth is that it was falling to Roy, not O'Flynn, and when Fenn had the courage to side with Roy on it he got superstar abuse for his honesty. Both O'Flynn and O'Callaghan should improve their game or take to the bench now that the imaginary gates to unlimited riches beyond in England are closing. The pair of them should find it humbling to see how a former Premiership star like Fenn is playing with his heart for the team. Still...every transfer window brings the same showboating bull.

Counting Crow
06/08/2005, 9:11 AM
This was a typical Derby game......minnows raise their game and big Club get caught out...... :rolleyes:

Fair play to Waterford they came with a plan and executed it....it may not have been pretty, but it worked.

Ref (Tuite again) was hopeless in that he should have stamped out (pardon the pun) the reckless tackling from as early as the 5-6 minute - disgracefull.
I won't mention the linesman on the DF Stand side as I might get banned from the site :rolleyes:

Anyway this is how I rated the lads:

McNulty 7: Could not be faulted for the goal - Georgies fault running across in front of him. Nuts would havae taken it easily if Georgie hadn't done that.....but enough said on that. Handled what little other ball he got well.
Cockney Rebel 8: Outstanding from the off. Back to his best. Took no $hit from anyone. His runs are inspiring (although he got caught out a couple of times near the end). Class act.
Dan 7: He gets critisized by many but he is playing out of his skin at the moment and was superb in the second half cutting out 2 definate breakaways near the end that could have been very costly.
Benno 7: So solid this level of performance has now become the norm for him. Underrated IMO - one of our Player of the Season as far as I'm concerned.
Hoggie 7: Mr Consistency. Had a tough nite as they played down his side a lot in the second half but he did well.
Kearney 8: A real handfull. Seems to have his pace back and is taking people on again. You could see the panic in their defence every time he got the ball. He's gonna be a vital cog in our run in over the coming weeks. Took his goal really well.
Georgie 6: Not one of his best games, but he still distracts the opposition giving space to others. Thought he lost posession too easily last night - unlike him.
Gamble 6: Not as imposing as in recent games. Came into the game in fits and starts - Mulcahy for them played really well and bossed us a bit in midfield I thought.
Greg 6: Worked his socks off but not atthe pace of the game I thought. Need him to perform like he did in Europe.
Fenny 6: Not a threat I'm afraid and never looked like scoring tonight.
Flynny 6: Too many snap shots - could benift playing off a target man for a while, like Big Derek.

Roy 6: Really didn't impact the game much when he came on. Lost a few chances particularly when he got through into their box only for the ball to run away to their keeper.
Big Derek 7: I thought he did really well when he came on. Pity it wasn't earlier. You can see from the big man he wants to play for the Club. So close with that header at the end.
Bruton 7: Did ok when he came on. Could be an asset.

In summary, too many players played below par together tonight. We need to get this right now before the most important 3 weeks of the year.
One thing positive to come from this is that the Djurgardens scouts will have learned very little from this tonight.

p.s. I thought the Shed was strangely muted tonight (speaking as a fellow sheddie).

patsh
06/08/2005, 9:22 AM
Stokes reffed the game last night, CC.

I have some complaints about last night.
O'Flynn should have been subbed at half time, Rico needs to have the courage to replace him and/or George when it is necessary. Hopefully, the two weeks off will help George get a rest, get his head together, and get his appetite back.
O'Flynn? I think Rico needs to have a long, long chat with the guy. He was absolute sh*te last nignt, was nearly as bad against SPA and Ekranas. Not just his play, but his attitude is dire at the moment, and he needs to buck up quickly.
Fenn/Bruton, Fenn/Behan is probably a better combination now, as the way John is at the moment, he is a waste of a starting place.

Finally, when the team was pumping high balls in to the box all night, why not bring Derek on with 15/20 minutes to go, not 5?

Counting Crow
06/08/2005, 9:51 AM
Stokes reffed the game last night, CC.

I have some complaints about last night.
O'Flynn should have been subbed at half time, Rico needs to have the courage to replace him and/or George when it is necessary. Hopefully, the two weeks off will help George get a rest, get his head together, and get his appetite back.
O'Flynn? I think Rico needs to have a long, long chat with the guy. He was absolute sh*te last nignt, was nearly as bad against SPA and Ekranas. Not just his play, but his attitude is dire at the moment, and he needs to buck up quickly.
Fenn/Bruton, Fenn/Behan is probably a better combination now, as the way John is at the moment, he is a waste of a starting place.

Finally, when the team was pumping high balls in to the box all night, why not bring Derek on with 15/20 minutes to go, not 5?

I agree it would be worth having Derek on for longer. He's done well in this role the few times he's been on. We'll need a big man against Shels IMO.

blue til i die
06/08/2005, 8:42 PM
I must agree about the Waterford left back(no 3). Played a great game. George misses the next two games due to suspension so thats his rest sorted. Just a couple of brief points about the match. Greg O Halloran is not a right winger and it seems an injustice to the guy to play him there. At home against a struggling team surely O' Donovan should have started. Or even the same team with Gamble on the right. Greg seems to be one of those guys who suffers because of his versatility. The other point regards height. There were loads of good crosses put into the box tonight but the Waterford lads mopped them up. They had a huge height advantage. I wonder if Willie Bruton is the anwser or is he too alike our present forwards? I think Denis Behan was injured which would explain his absence from the bench. I dont want to come accross as being critical of Damien Richardson or City in any way. There is no team anywhere who will win every match so well done City and well done Mr Richardson.

ye,Sean Finn was left back. Played a fantastic game. Also John Hayes at right back was super against Kearney!!

RedX
07/08/2005, 12:15 PM
ye,Sean Finn was left back. Played a fantastic game. Also John Hayes at right back was super against Kearney!!

Finn played well at left back but there was no real pressure on the guy until Roy came on..with no natural winger there first half he had plenty of time on the ball..

Kearney ran that right back ragged during the game..the centre halfs were even being forced across to JUMP on him at times..how could you not see that??..blue goggles??... :confused:

Fair dues to Waterford for scraping a point even when we did not play to our best but i hope City will never be so badly off that we celebrate ONE point off a Munster derby... ;)

blue til i die
07/08/2005, 1:41 PM
Finn played well at left back but there was no real pressure on the guy until Roy came on..with no natural winger there first half he had plenty of time on the ball..

Kearney ran that right back ragged during the game..the centre halfs were even being forced across to JUMP on him at times..how could you not see that??..blue goggles??... :confused:

Fair dues to Waterford for scraping a point even when we did not play to our best but i hope City will never be so badly off that we celebrate ONE point off a Munster derby... ;)

Toward the end of the game, when you threw everything at us, he stopped Kearney a handfull of times!!

That little bit of a complament at the end quickly disappeared!!!

bigmac
07/08/2005, 2:07 PM
Final line of the match report on RTE website:

The result sees Cork pick up their first point under new manager Brendan Rea.

Talk about not giving a toss about the EL!

Fermoy Blue
07/08/2005, 10:16 PM
Delighted with the point considering half of team have departed except for leagues dodgiest keeper(McNulty a close 2nd).Amazed City offered so little threat from middle of park,Georgie looked like a Drogheda player...overpaid,
underachieved...Gamble,neat n'tidy...wouldn't score in Hotel Inexpensive..
Then,Richardson,great exponent of patient passing football that he is brings on 6'10'' Derek to get on the end of Danny's freekicks..poetry in motion or what!Surely City were crying out for an energetic midfielder, instead of O'Callaghan, who could get on the ball and actually strike it at the goals
(remember a dodgy keeper!).Boy!were we delighted former Blue,Colin O'Brien
never got a run.Ye definitely have good enough players to win league but unfortunately Richardson was never good enough before and not too sure
he's improved too much with advancing years.UP THE BLUES!!

Fair_play_boy
08/08/2005, 12:47 AM
. . . . . . .

. . . . . . .

. . . . .

..blue goggles??...

. . . . . . .

. . . . . . . .

it is a quarter to two in the morning. My 9 year old daughter just woke up and ran into the room where I am sitting at my computer. She thought I was choking to death, I laughed so much at that BRILLIANT TURN OF PHRASE

Peadar
08/08/2005, 8:20 AM
Breen and Purcell I think it was were impressive for Waterford.

Waterford should be hit with a fine for having 6 players booked in that game so they might have to sell Purcell to us to cover the cost.
We can't have the blas defending their way out of a relegation battle and he'd be good cover.