PDA

View Full Version : Michael Owen

Aberdonian Stu
02/08/2005, 3:19 PM
Newcastle are now emerging as contenders to sign Michael Owen. They have the money and Man Utd are looking less likely to make a move.

I think it would be a good move for both parties, and yes I am bias as I support Newcastle.

For Newcastle it's a no-brainer, they need a good striker and he is one.

For Owen there's guaranteed first-team action which will help out his cause to stay as a starter for England, decent supply this season with Parker arriving, and he'll be a big fish there too.

superfrank
02/08/2005, 4:59 PM
Would be a good move for him. Shearer would be there too. He's a good player, everyone's making too much about the Real thing.

4tothefloor
02/08/2005, 9:23 PM
For Newcastle it's a no-brainer, they need a good striker and he is one.
And for Owen it's a move that will ensure he won't win another trophy for the rest of his career. He'll also be playing for a childish manager who'd start an arguement in an empty room and will probably be sacked in the next 12 months anyway. Plus a chairman in Freddy Shepard who wouldn't know a good footballer if he slapped him in the face (something that would probably happen at Newcastle.... :D )

Rebal Boy
02/08/2005, 9:48 PM
I'd say as a follower of Man U. I think Owen should and I hope he signs for United. Himself and Rooney would be a super partnership. I'd say if it does happen Van the man will be going. It will give Owen the chance to shine in the Champions League and in the Premiership. United need to win silverware this season.

jockser
02/08/2005, 10:17 PM
Liverpool ARE talking to Owen and his agent. It all depends on what madrid want for him. They have mentioned Alonso and will be told to F Off if that is the only deal they will do.If the price aint too high he will be going back home where he belongs.

tetsujin1979
03/08/2005, 12:22 AM
Owen has said there's no way he's going to Newcastle

macdermesser
03/08/2005, 7:14 AM
Owen has said there's no way he's going to Newcastle

and if I'm not mistaken Quieroz said that United were not interested in Owen. And for the most debt ridden club in the world, that's not a big surprise.

And I think Liverpool is also a non-starter, as Rafa says centre half is a priority.

Arsenal need a midfield, and Chelsea only play one striker up front.

I think he'll stay at Madrid until Christmas.

Aberdonian Stu
03/08/2005, 11:26 AM
Another plus in his favour in joining Newcastle is that he could use it as a means of getting a better deal after the World Cup. He needs regular football to keep him in the best condition when he's in the biggest shop window of the lot.

Not surprised he'd say no though, it's a bit of a mess up there (and yes that is a whopper of an understatement).

gustavo
03/08/2005, 12:06 PM
i liked this description of freddy sheppard by john nicholson in Football365
I always imagine Freddy Shepherd runs the Magpies while belching and farting in the boardroom and eating large plates of tripe and onions, pausing briefly only to wipe gravy off his chin with his tie

OwlsFan
03/08/2005, 12:57 PM
and if I'm not mistaken Quieroz said that United were not interested in Owen.

Since when does a club ever admit it's interested in a player until the deal is almost done ? Very seldom - just alerts others and puts the price up.

Agree he won't go to Newcastle if he wants to win trophies.

4tothefloor
03/08/2005, 9:07 PM
Liverpool ARE talking to Owen and his agent. It all depends on what madrid want for him. They have mentioned Alonso and will be told to F Off if that is the only deal they will do.If the price aint too high he will be going back home where he belongs.
He's not a priority for Benitez, although his pre-match interview on ITV last night suggested that it might be a possibility. Apparantly Gerrard, Carragher, Rick Parry and the board are desperate to get Owen back. Benitez will only sign him if it doesn't interfere with him signing a centre back and right-midfielder. There will be room for another striker if/when Baros is sold, Le Tallec has also been sent on loan. Liverpool is Owens first choice, so don't be surprised to see a year long loan deal, with a fee of about £11m pre-agreed for next season.

Rumour is that Andrade and Figo will be the two additions. Can't say I'd be unhappy about that :)

tetsujin1979
03/08/2005, 11:23 PM
Owen's stated he wants Champion's League or UEFA Cup football, so that's Newcastle out of the reckoning now.

4ToTheFloor, Figo'd signed for Inter and since Andrade knocked out Newcastle tonight, he could be in the UEFA cup, so it's doubtful he'd leave for Liverpool

jockser
03/08/2005, 11:47 PM
Cant see the Figo move happening but Andrade deal looks good and could happen by next week!
Owen isnt a PRIORITY according to Rafa BUT that doesnt mean there isnt behind the scene talks going on!!! :)