PDA

View Full Version : Martin Rowlands

Pages : [1] 2

jjppc
02/08/2005, 8:34 AM
Spoke to some QPR fans over the W/E they said he's a great prospect, but a bit injury prone, as we are scratching around for midfield players anyone rate him ?

Stuttgart88
02/08/2005, 8:41 AM
He should have been sent off after about 10 seconds of his international debut! Was it Bulgaria? He also played for a bit in the Unity Cup.

I've only seen him a few times & I think he's quite a tough right sided midfielder. Not a finesse player, more of a worker. He had a great year in the old Div 2 but didn't have much of an impact last year, mainly due to injury though. What age is he? I thought he was about 24 or 25 because he was at Brentford for a few years before QPR.

jjppc
02/08/2005, 8:55 AM
Just googled him QPR offical website have him down as skilful and pacy, bit of a star last year by all accounts, born 1979, could be a late developer or am I clutching at straws here ?

robbie_B
02/08/2005, 9:15 AM
Had a poor season last year, but he got injured in pre-season. Didn't show anywhere near the form of the previous season. Hopefully this season he will show the form that got him the call up. Has lots of skill likes to take people on and really likes a tackle, does seem to have calmed down a little. Don Givens was interviewed and asked about Rowlands and said he never knew if he would ever last a game for the U21s and thought his temper might work against him.

http://www.queensparkrangersfc.com - check the players profiles section.

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Squad/ProfilesDetail/0,,10373~8925,00.html

Kingdom
02/08/2005, 9:19 AM
I certainly wouldn't base any opinion of mine while referring to anything Dumb Givens has said.

tetsujin1979
02/08/2005, 11:59 PM
He should have been sent off after about 10 seconds of his international debut! Was it Bulgaria?
It was Romania, went through his opposite number when he came on. I was disappointed with him in the Unity Cup to be honest, and he didn't have a great season last season. On the other hand, we're reasonably well stocked at left wing!!

robbie_B
03/08/2005, 8:02 AM
He usually plays on the right at QPR, played better towards to end of last season when he played in the middle and he played in the middle during pre season

Lionel Ritchie
03/08/2005, 9:53 AM
I'm managing QPR in FIFA 2004 on the PC and Rowland is a god send. first name down on my teamsheet every week.

I also bought Rodney Jack for a song from Barnet and he's a flyer. the premiership beckons...

And now I hand you back to reality.

Diarmo
20/01/2009, 8:47 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/q/qpr/7839524.stm

Rowlands is out for the rest of the season. Unlucky player, I remember reading he was supposed to start ahead of Whelan in Trap's first match against Serbia. I don't know if he'll get another cap at this stage, he's nearly 30.

zenokelly
20/01/2009, 8:56 PM
http://www.qpr.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~1525157,00.html#continue

Looks as if he would have been in this squad from the QPR website. Would have been the biggest surprise if he hadn't had got injured at the weekend. I agree that he probably won't see the green jersey again unfortunately for him.

Deckydee
21/01/2009, 6:15 AM
Hi,

Nice to see that someone started a thread on this player. If there is one player that can ever be called ‘the most unluckiest Irish international player’ the one name will almost certainly be Martin Rowlands. Someone said above that he was supposed to be ahead of Whelan for the Serbia game and that is bang on. On the last training session before the match he twisted his knee and was sent back to England for tests. What I found, well, not to say amusing, but trying to find another word here, was the reaction of the other QPR fans on the message boards. They were itching to say it, you know what it is, but they never did. Probably a fear of getting kicked off the message board, God love them :o)

Anywho, months passed before he got back to full fitness. I went to see QPR against Wolves in December and on that day he scored with a beautiful dipping shot. Not one of his best games by any means but Tardelli and Trapattoni were in the crowd that night watching. He then was told that he was going to be selected in the squad for the match against Georgia and but bad luck struck again at the weekend. Whilst playing against Derby he twisted under minimal contact and tore his anterior crucial ligament and by all accounts he is out for 9 months. I am broken hearted for him; he could have been the answer to our prayers. I think that he won’t play again.

I guess its not always easy being a professional footballer. He wanted so much to play for his country unlike some guys from Man City. A terrible terrible shame, and again I am broken hearted for him.

Diarmo
21/01/2009, 5:25 PM
I genuinely feel sorry for Rowlands, he's been doing it in the Championship for years now, is club captain, and is the type of midfielder we're looking for at the moment, tidy passer, good in the tackle, good awareness etc.
By the time he's back the Qualification campaign will probably be over (successful or not) meaning he won't have a shout at the WC Squad. Fair enough, as he didn't contribute in any of the matches.
However, like Kavanagh, he might have an "Indian Summer" type end to his career with a return to the Premiership and International football.

I'm sure we're all reassured by the fact that Liam Miller now will take his place in the QPR team.....

JerseyRed
24/01/2009, 10:56 PM
Being a QPR fan the last thing I wanted to see was that lazy ballix Miller joining us. Lets hope I'm proven wrong.

Qwerty
25/01/2009, 1:11 AM
Hi,

If there is one player that can ever be called ‘the most unluckiest Irish international player’ the one name will almost certainly be Martin Rowlands.

I think Steven Reid and Keith O'Neill might have something to say about that...and Dean Kiely for different reasons.

Razors left peg
25/01/2009, 1:14 AM
I think Steven Reid and Keith O'Neill might have something to say about that...and Dean Kiely for different reasons.

from the fans point of view u would have to say Steven Reid most unluckiest... he is really the only one most of us want as first choice

robbie_B
04/10/2009, 7:23 PM
He was sent off against Swansea but his good recent form has led to a call up for the Italy match.
http://www.qpr.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~1817617,00.html

paul_oshea
04/10/2009, 7:39 PM
robbie_b welcome back!

paul_oshea
04/10/2009, 7:39 PM
thats a bit of a kick in the teeth for reidie..

gufct
04/10/2009, 7:46 PM
he is a class player who has been very unlucky with injury. Trap was very impressed with him in thr Training camp in Portugal and was expected to start against Georgia but he picked up a knock and had to go back to QPR. He can play right back,right or central midfield and chips in with his fair share of goals.

paul_oshea
04/10/2009, 7:48 PM
class in what sense?

robbie_B
04/10/2009, 7:53 PM
he is a class player who has been very unlucky with injury. Trap was very impressed with him in thr Training camp in Portugal and was expected to start against Georgia but he picked up a knock and had to go back to QPR. He can play right back,right or central midfield and chips in with his fair share of goals.

When I last spoke to him about Ireland he was very positive about getting a chance. He said injuries are part of the game and he just gets on with it. For those of you who might be interested he qualifies through his grandparents who are from Wexford.

paul_oshea
04/10/2009, 8:00 PM
I remember reading something in the paper, i thought it was to do with a grandparent from Mayo or something? Is his brother not the fella who played for england?

gufct
04/10/2009, 8:04 PM
Your mixing him up with Kevin Gallen who Gerry Francis got to declare for England while his two brothers played with Ireland up to u21 level.Both his parents are Irish i have met them all and they are really nice people.

robbie_B
04/10/2009, 8:07 PM
Damien Delaney said Rowlands was often over in Mayo but his roots are Wexford. Delaney also said Rowlands ipod was full of Irish songs but he best not start a sing song when Trap is around.

paul_oshea
04/10/2009, 8:08 PM
sorry i realised as soon as i posted it.

Ya thats him. cheers gufc, one was from tip i think and one from mayo.

FarBeag
04/10/2009, 8:28 PM
This is just not fair on Andy Reid, a premiership player who not only played out of his skin for the last few months but was excellent against Man u yesterday.

I like Martin Rowland’s, always have and he has being very unfortunate not to be a regular in the Irish team by now. Normally I would be delighted with his call up but at the expense of Reid it overshadows it a lot.

tricky_colour
05/10/2009, 1:57 AM
Andy Reid is the 56th best player in the Premiership on current form, that excludes his last match, according to Actim anyway. Rowlands is not in the top 100 in the championship. But whatever he may be a good player but he literally is in a different league to Andy Reid.
Robbie Keane is third in the index :)

Deckydee
05/10/2009, 8:05 AM
Hi,

Nice to see that someone started a thread on this player. If there is one player that can ever be called ‘the most unluckiest Irish international player’ the one name will almost certainly be Martin Rowlands. Someone said above that he was supposed to be ahead of Whelan for the Serbia game and that is bang on. On the last training session before the match he twisted his knee and was sent back to England for tests. What I found, well, not to say amusing, but trying to find another word here, was the reaction of the other QPR fans on the message boards. They were itching to say it, you know what it is, but they never did. Probably a fear of getting kicked off the message board, God love them :o)

Anywho, months passed before he got back to full fitness. I went to see QPR against Wolves in December and on that day he scored with a beautiful dipping shot. Not one of his best games by any means but Tardelli and Trapattoni were in the crowd that night watching. He then was told that he was going to be selected in the squad for the match against Georgia and but bad luck struck again at the weekend. Whilst playing against Derby he twisted under minimal contact and tore his anterior crucial ligament and by all accounts he is out for 9 months. I am broken hearted for him; he could have been the answer to our prayers. I think that he won’t play again.

I guess its not always easy being a professional footballer. He wanted so much to play for his country unlike some guys from Man City. A terrible terrible shame, and again I am broken hearted for him.

Indeed quoting myself :D

I am delighted that he has been called up, his performances for us this year have been nothing short of magnificent and yes barring an injury he should have been starting against Georgia

Stuttgart88
05/10/2009, 9:50 AM
This is just not fair on Andy Reid, a premiership player who not only played out of his skin for the last few months but was excellent against Man u yesterday.

I like Martin Rowland’s, always have and he has being very unfortunate not to be a regular in the Irish team by now. Normally I would be delighted with his call up but at the expense of Reid it overshadows it a lot.Absolutely. If Rowlands is called up and Reid isn't then it's just ridiculous. Who Is Rowlands coming in to replace anyway? I can't find a mention of this in any Irish newspaper.

Arnold Layne
05/10/2009, 10:00 AM
thats a bit of a kick in the teeth for reidie..

Yep, it is indeed.

Say goodbye to playing for Ireland again while Trapattoni is in charge.

shakermaker1982
05/10/2009, 11:38 AM
I think it's because of doubts over Steven Reid's fitness Stutt's.

Reidy has been playing well of late, knuckled down, lost a bit of weight and still cannot get into the squad. I'd have Reid on the left over Hunt and McGeady every day of the week.

Duggie
05/10/2009, 3:20 PM
this isnt right. ok i love trap and everything but andy's international career is been ruined. hes missing out on his best years when hes dying to play for his country. trap has signed for another 2 years, and must be so frustrated. i feel sorry for the guy.

Noelys Guitar
05/10/2009, 3:32 PM
Terrible snub of Andy Reid. And it is a snub. Reid is playing better than any of our wingers at present. Its a fact and I don't buy the disruptive infleunce in the squad crap either. Reid does not come across like that at all. It is a bad footballing decision.

paul_oshea
05/10/2009, 4:26 PM
WHy with every manager we have there is always a problem with picking hte best available playres, and yes it is always a case of this, and its a case with andy reid. At any given time he has been better than rowlands with or without weight!

bishbash
05/10/2009, 8:09 PM
its a joke to be honest. he has no justification over this one. andy reid is fitter than he was, is playing regularly in the prem and playing well. there is no place for personal grudges. the lad is clearly desperate to play for his country and most importantly is good enough. trapatoni is a legend in the game and his achievements to date speak for themselves. but on this occassion his attitude is pathetic and in my opinion is a slight on the mans charachter. maybe he shouldnt havt spend time kissin a fellahs arse who doesnt want to play for his country and be a man and let bygones be bygones with players that do.

LFCSixty/Eighty
05/10/2009, 8:13 PM
While I wouldn't want to begrudge someone like Martin Rowlands a call up, this is a shocking decision considering we have a player that is currently buzzing in the premier league.

I just hope Reid doesn't lose the head after this snub and call a day to his international career under trap and make it easy for him, cos I have a suspicion this is what trap wants him to do.

Better to keep up his current form and keep proving how wrong this decision is.

robbie_B
05/10/2009, 8:16 PM
its a joke to be honest. he has no justification over this one. andy reid is fitter than he was, is playing regularly in the prem and playing well. there is no place for personal grudges. the lad is clearly desperate to play for his country and most importantly is good enough. trapatoni is a legend in the game and his achievements to date speak for themselves. but on this occassion his attitude is pathetic and in my opinion is a slight on the mans charachter. maybe he shouldnt havt spend time kissin a fellahs arse who doesnt want to play for his country and be a man and let bygones be bygones with players that do.

I see you point but Rowlands is a very different player to Reid. While Reid has been in fantastic form of late he wouldn't be able to do the role of sitting deep and protecting the back four. He isn't exactly known for tracking back and putting in tackles. Rowlands is well able to do that, his main problem is he can lose the head and make late tackles as he did against Swansea.

If Reid had been fit to take his place in Trap's first squad that went out to Portugal then he would have been given his chance. Rowlands clearly impressed during that training camp and has remained in his thoughts. We might not like it but I can't see a man of Trap's experience changing his mind.

bishbash
05/10/2009, 8:58 PM
my point is that this is 100% not a football decision its a personal decision based on a disagreement that swhould be put to bed. absolutely nothin against rowlands delighted for the lad. however i dont think reid should be replacing anyone i think he should be in the original squad. he hasnt had the option of picking steven reid for almost the whole campaign so its not a case of tactics that he hasn't called andy reid up. for a man in his 70's its childish.

robbie_B
05/10/2009, 9:10 PM
Shane Long's ankle injury might rule him out of the match so another player might be called up. Clinton Morrison or Reid could yet be on a plane to Dublin but with Trap it's hard to know what he will do.

bishbash
05/10/2009, 9:16 PM
i hope so but at this point andy reids irish carreer is stone dead.

tricky_colour
05/10/2009, 9:20 PM
Andy Reid needs to find some dead grandma and Trap wil be on the phone right away.

Crosby87
05/10/2009, 10:23 PM
I cannot believe Trap is still mad at Andy. Maybe it was worse than has been reported.

PartySaint
05/10/2009, 11:13 PM
This is also a smack in the face for Fahey, he starts everyweek and could easily do a job in the middle of the park, Some of Traps selections are an absolute joke

tricky_colour
05/10/2009, 11:26 PM
This is also a smack in the face for Fahey, he starts everyweek and could easily do a job in the middle of the park, Some of Traps selections are an absolute joke

Well he is Italian you know, blood is thicker than water.

drummerboy
05/10/2009, 11:28 PM
Where does it say Martin Rowlands has been called into the squad.

seanfhear
06/10/2009, 7:55 AM
Rowlands and Andy Reid are not competing for the same role in the team.

I would prefer Andy Reid to replace Liam Miller.

Deckydee
06/10/2009, 8:29 AM
Where does it say Martin Rowlands has been called into the squad.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1006/ireland.html

RTE, first with the news :rolleyes:

redobit
06/10/2009, 8:40 AM
Ah this is beyond a joke. A player is called up as cover, while you have two players in the same position that could/ should possibly start in the first team, and there not even in the squad.

Deckydee
07/10/2009, 8:46 AM
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/focused-rowlands-ready-to-seize-chance-102786.html

irishfan86
07/10/2009, 8:52 AM
For me, the real question is: should Andy be called up in favour of Duff? Trap (and it seems almost every manager in England) thinks of Andy as a wide midfielder, and not as a central midfielder.

Rowlands is being called up to replace S. Reid/Gibson's place in the squad as far as I'm concerned, and isn't really the one we should be comparing him to.