PDA

View Full Version : New signing?

pineapple stu
01/08/2005, 11:45 AM
Apparently we're talking to Keith Doyle, currently at Shamrock Rovers and available on a free. He's a left back! :)

Poor Student
01/08/2005, 11:49 AM
He's been a Micko like liability at left back if I gathered right from Rovers fans this season. :o Incidentally wasn't it good to see a decent left back for a change in the Bohs game? However Mick's lack of positional sense often left Harkin free on the right wing in acres of space to attack McAniff.

Colie
01/08/2005, 12:58 PM
Incidentally wasn't it good to see a decent left back for a change in the Bohs game? However Mick's lack of positional sense often left Harkin free on the right wing in acres of space to attack McAniff.
Too true

Schumi
02/08/2005, 10:16 AM
We don't seem to have got this guy. I heard a list of Rovers players who had moved on the radio yesterday and he wasn't on it.

bambi
02/08/2005, 10:39 AM
Robert McAuley and Paul Whitmarsh have been let go by the club.

Seems as tho they lost patience with McAuley being injured all season.

Aberdonian Stu
02/08/2005, 10:46 AM
Is there confirmation of that anywhere? Whitmarsh makes sense but am a bit surprised by McAuley considering how long he's been at the club.

John83
02/08/2005, 2:57 PM
Is there confirmation of that anywhere? Whitmarsh makes sense but am a bit surprised by McAuley considering how long he's been at the club.
Surprised? I'm shocked. He's here nine or ten years now.

Schumi
02/08/2005, 5:45 PM
On a marginally related note, Kieran Foley has gone to Rovers. Soccercentral (http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=15249&mainheading=Other&viewstory=yes).

Poor Student
02/08/2005, 6:15 PM
If we've released these lads does this indicate a freeing up of funds to bring in someone/people new?

student
02/08/2005, 9:58 PM
I saw Foley and Whitmarsh had left on soccercentral, but havent heard anything about McAuley.

Thats four senior players left in a week when Lynch is taken into account. Is the squad now a bit threadbare. I know Ucd allways have a young squad but it seems exceptionally young at the moment.

And it seems unlikely that any player of significance will come in now that the transfer window has closed.

pineapple stu
03/08/2005, 12:28 PM
That's four senior players left in a week when Lynch is taken into account. Is the squad now a bit threadbare?
Don't think so really.

With respect, I'll wait for confirmation on the McAuley story before commenting on it. Whitmarsh and Murphy aren't really any better than Byrne (x 2), Martin, McWalter, Dupuy, Sammon or Brophy. Kieran Foley I think was never really going to make it - he was more an interim signing after Doolin screwed us over. We now have McNally, Kenna, Shortall and McAuley who can play in centre-back. Lynch I'm surprised at, but I think we still have the cover.

Poor Student
03/08/2005, 12:35 PM
From what I've gathered Lynch was only biding his time with us, we didn't pay him, he just got the benefit of training while providing backup.

Whitmarsh was an obvious one to go. Not technically an awful player but seemed unable to cope with the pace and level of the Premier. Foley hasn't got a look in this season at all.

We do have a good conveyor belt of talent so I suppose we've got to clear out the deadwood to make way for the next batch. However I would be surprised and disappointed if the McAuley one is true.

We still desperately need a left back. I'd like to see us sign an experienced one as it is one aspect that's really sticking out in the team.

student
03/08/2005, 12:56 PM
Defenders= Mahon, Kenna, Shorthall, McNally, McEneff, with O'Donnell, and McDonnell to play there if required.

Still think UCD are a bit short in terms of strength in depth. Would like to see at least two players come in.

(One who could play left back/centre half, plus another centre forward).

However it would seem that with UCD safe enough from relegation that Pete will rely on the younger players as back up and try to bring them through and build for next season. If he could keep all the young lads together and get them a bit of experience i really think they could challenge the top 5 next season.

Poor Student
03/08/2005, 1:03 PM
Top priority is a good solid left footed left back. I don't care if he can play anywhere else or not. Second priorities are a left footed left winger and then a right winger. All our left wing players apart from Micko are makeshift strikers. Our right wingers seem to be makeshift central midfielders (or is Anto Murphy a natural right winger?).

We're well covered in central defence imo, we have a good right back though lack real cover there. We have several quality central midfield options and we have a plethora of strikers plus two decent goalies.

Schumi
03/08/2005, 1:10 PM
We're fine up front once we get guys back from injury. We need a left back and some cover for right back and left wing and that's about it really.

pineapple stu
03/08/2005, 1:19 PM
Cover for left wing - what about Derek Doyle? He's done well enough when he's had a go in the first team.

Cover for right-back is Gannon. Granted, we need one or two more there maybe, which is why I'm surprised about Lynch. Though if what Poor Student says is true (and it sounds plausible), it's fair enough, I suppose.

I'd like to see McEniff keep his place in the team with Micko at left-wing - far more balanced look to it.

Agreed on the top 5 push. If we can start finishing teams off, who knows where we'd be? We'd have extra points from Bohs (2 extra twice), Rovers (2 extra), Harps (at least 1 extra, if not all 3), Bray (ditto) for starters - that's 10 points or so. That's us in joint third level with Shels. Don't see why it can't happen. Our defence is actually fairly good despite what it looks like - we've conceded nearly half (11/23) of our goals in three games! :eek: Just get a couple more the other end and a bit of belief and we're flying.

Poor Student
03/08/2005, 1:27 PM
Though if what Poor Student says is true (and it sounds plausible), it's fair enough, I suppose.

Bald Student or Schumi told me that I think. :confused:

What's the story with Gannon? He seems to be highly rated yet is 20 now? He seems to barely get a look in at all. Is he strong enough for right back?

I think this squad has massive potential. If we can hang onto Quigley, McNally, Mahon, Kenna, Tony Mac, Hurley, Dicker, Murphy, Byrne, Martin, McWalter and Dupuy for next season and build on those with sorting out left back (either with McAniff or someone new) we should be looking to do somenthing next year. Does anyone see any potential judases emerging this year?

Schumi
03/08/2005, 1:28 PM
Cover for left wing - what about Derek Doyle? He's done well enough when he's had a go in the first team.
True, hadn't thought of him. That would have been bottom of my list of positions anyway though.

Cover for right-back is Gannon.Has Gannon played there for the first team at all this year? Kenna seemed to be used as right back cover when Mahon was out.

I'd like to see McEniff keep his place in the team with Micko at left-wing - far more balanced look to it.Agreed.

We'd have extra points from Bohs (2 extra twice), Rovers (2 extra), Harps (at least 1 extra, if not all 3), Bray (ditto) for starters - that's 10 points or so. That's us in joint third level with Shels. Don't see why it can't happen. Our defence is actually fairly good despite what it looks like - we've conceded nearly half (11/23) of our goals in three games! :eek: Just get a couple more the other end and a bit of belief and we're flying.
It's all very well to look at points dropped but we were lucky to hold onto a point at home to Shels and beat Drogheda away with two late goals so a gain of 10 points is a bit optimistic!

pineapple stu
03/08/2005, 1:31 PM
It's all very well to look at points dropped but we were lucky to hold onto a point at home to Shels and beat Drogheda away with two late goals so a gain of 10 points is a bit optimistic!
Maybe. Though I don't know how lucky we were to beat Drogheda really - thought we were the only team going to get a winner that game. Still, I think it's fair to say we've dropped more silly points than picked up lucky ones, so we should be higher.

Gannon is a right-back I think, but yeah, never seems to play there. Still, he's gotten more of a look-in lately - again at right-wing - which is good to see.

Does anyone see any potential judases emerging this year?
There's usually one or two, but I think if we finish strongly - say get into the top half - then most of the current squad will stay. Then we'd be in a very strong position for next year.

Poor Student
03/08/2005, 1:34 PM
There's usually one or two, but I think if we finish strongly - say get into the top half - then most of the current squad will stay. Then we'd be in a very strong position for next year.

Hopefully Willie Doyle is coming back. The prodigal son can tell his story to all would be Judases. :D I hope this is the year top players wake up to the fact that maybe they should leave things be and stay at the club. If everyone stays we can progress from here.

Schumi
03/08/2005, 1:37 PM
Hopefully Willie Doyle is coming back.
And he can continue to not score any goals. :rolleyes:

Poor Student
03/08/2005, 1:39 PM

I wasn't insinuating he had to play. We can get him on a 10 year contract just to tell his version of the Prodigal Son to all who consider leaving us. :D

student
03/08/2005, 2:30 PM
potential players to leave the club are fewer than normal, IMO.

Alan McNally would be the biggest name i can think of. Possible move to Drogheda perhaps.

After that i could see Dupuy heading back to Galway, and Gallagher and Adrian Murphy leaving as well in search of regular first team football.

el tk
03/08/2005, 2:47 PM

He scored plenty in the 1st division and not being a regular goal-scorer doesn't seem to harmm your chances of starting up front for UCD.

Poor Student
03/08/2005, 2:53 PM
I have a feeling that Damo will leave too. I hope not as I think when he's fit he has a lot to offer us either on the left wing or up front. I'm sure Adrian will go but he's hardly had a look in anyway. Gallagher, you could be right. I hope not as Quigley will be snapped up someday and he could step in.

Why do you see McNally going? And why Drogs? De Doolo connection?

Schumi
03/08/2005, 3:03 PM
He scored plenty in the 1st division Not to state the obvious but...

not being a regular goal-scorer doesn't seem to harm your chances of starting up front for UCD.True but I don't think he worked particularly hard or created a huge amount other than the goals which Robbie and McWalter do.

student
03/08/2005, 3:32 PM
I have a feeling that Damo will leave too. I hope not as I think when he's fit he has a lot to offer us either on the left wing or up front. I'm sure Adrian will go but he's hardly had a look in anyway. Gallagher, you could be right. I hope not as Quigley will be snapped up someday and he could step in.

Why do you see McNally going? And why Drogs? De Doolo connection?

I can see McNally going because he must be nearly 23 now and would be entitled to a free transfer. Dorgheda would be the most liekly destination as they seem to be targeting good youg players (fahy, keegan, bradley, gartland, sullivan) and i'm sure the option of full time football would attract McNally. I'm just completley speculating here by the way.

Nearly all the other UCD players that could be linked with the top clubs such as Kenna, Dicker, Quigley, Hurley, McWalther wouldn't be entitiled to a Bosman and its hard to see the likes of cork or shels stumping up cash for them at the moment. i would imagine their priorities would lie elsewhere.

CollegeTillIDie
03/08/2005, 11:31 PM
I can see McNally going because he must be nearly 23 now and would be entitled to a free transfer. Dorgheda would be the most liekly destination as they seem to be targeting good youg players (fahy, keegan, bradley, gartland, sullivan) and i'm sure the option of full time football would attract McNally. I'm just completley speculating here by the way.

Nearly all the other UCD players that could be linked with the top clubs such as Kenna, Dicker, Quigley, Hurley, McWalther wouldn't be entitiled to a Bosman and its hard to see the likes of cork or shels stumping up cash for them at the moment. i would imagine their priorities would lie elsewhere.

Well Alan McNally might take a long hard look at what happened to his brother Paul and stay at UCD. Paul is now out of football at the top level having been full-time two seasons ago.