sbgawa
14/09/2022, 9:12 PM
First Division

Friday 16th September

Galway United v Cork 19:45
Cobh v Athlone 19:45

sbgawa
14/09/2022, 9:20 PM
We have an FAI cup thread so just the two matches in the League this weekend to discuss.
If Galway beat Cork and win their game (below) in hand the gap is 4 points with 3 games to go.
Cork play Wexford and Bray at home and Athlone Away.
Galway play away to Treaty , Home to Athlone, away to Wexford and home to Longford.

Hard to see Cork not winning two of those but Galway have to believe i suppose.
On the other hand if Cork win they are promoted.

Cobh v Athlone will decide who finishes bottom, both will want to win for sure.

joey B
16/09/2022, 8:36 PM
Galway delaying Corks crowning,2-1 up into added time....

culloty82
16/09/2022, 8:41 PM
Judging by ExtraTime, the Cork pitch invasion really shot them in the feet, as it seemed to spur Galway on.

nigel-harps1954
16/09/2022, 8:46 PM
Cork fans behaviour was a bit embarrassing. Held the game a full five minutes. Looked like a bunch of teenagers on the pitch from the stream pictures.

El-Pietro
16/09/2022, 9:05 PM
City fans went on the pitch after the goals but they weren't the reason the game was delayed. There was a huge group of stewards who just stood on the pitch staring into the away end. It was the most ridiculous attempt at stewarding I've ever seen. Another steward to be repeatedly moved further away from city fans as he kept provoking those near the front

nigel-harps1954
16/09/2022, 9:22 PM
Seen a couple of Tweets clarifying that after. Commentary team seemed to make out it was the fault of Cork supporters. Stream showed the crowd of Cork fans on the pitch.

Bit of a shambles all round.

Crosshead
17/09/2022, 12:22 AM
I won't for a second defend the actions of idiots but it should be said El-Pietro is right - the delay was mostly down to stewards not leaving the pitch, and some were actively antagonistic towards supporters in front of them, I've never seen the likes of it before.

Also, the pitch invasion at the end was sparked by a group of Galway lads who ran across the pitch to wind up the away end, given free pass to do so by the stewards.

As for on the pitch, Galway deserved it. The much-maligned Caulfield got his subs spot on and changed the game.

Jd2793
17/09/2022, 7:46 AM
Judging by ExtraTime, the Cork pitch invasion really shot them in the feet, as it seemed to spur Galway on.

nonsense. we had 3 or 4 chances after 1-0 galway were rattled.

Crosshead
17/09/2022, 8:27 AM
nonsense. we had 3 or 4 chances after 1-0 galway were rattled.

This exactly. Healy hit the crossbar at 1-0. It was the subs Galway made that changed the course of the game, not the delay

Nesta99
17/09/2022, 11:47 AM
I won't for a second defend the actions of idiots but it should be said El-Pietro is right - the delay was mostly down to stewards not leaving the pitch, and some were actively antagonistic towards supporters in front of them, I've never seen the likes of it before.

Also, the pitch invasion at the end was sparked by a group of Galway lads who ran across the pitch to wind up the away end, given free pass to do so by the stewards.

As for on the pitch, Galway deserved it. The much-maligned Caulfield got his subs spot on and changed the game.

Wont defend them for a second but the delay was 'mostly' caused by antagonistic stewards and pitch invasion at the end was Galway fans.

So is it possible stewards stood back, on the pitch, not getting in the face of supporters that had left their section, letting things calm down and waiting for supporters to return to their area before stewards then moved back to their positions in front of away fans and standing off the pitch. If they had been more antagonistic rather than what sounds like a soft handed approach would the situation have been resolved quicker considering that away fans were being antagonised by some stewards and exception has been taken to this it seems.

What kicked it off anyway, did a Cork player get tackled?

El-Pietro
17/09/2022, 1:10 PM
We scored. A group of fans ran onto the pitch. By the time the players were back at the half way line all fans were off the pitch and back in the stands.
The stewards however decided to group together on the pitch and would not move for several minutes. It was bizarre.
I'm not defending anyone who goes onto the pitch, but the stewards behaviour seemed designed to antagonise city fans, they didn't know how to handle a crowd at all.

Crosshead
17/09/2022, 4:35 PM
I saw one steward being removed by a combination of security and Gardai for winding people up - I've read claims of up to four but I only saw one removed myself and another on the wind up. One kicked the ball away at 2-1

Nesta99
17/09/2022, 6:30 PM
Well John Caulfield always did draw the best out of his clubs!

sadloserkid
18/09/2022, 7:51 AM
Their local is pretty scathing about it - https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-40963703.html - if short on much in the way of actually reporting what happened.

Jd2793
18/09/2022, 8:45 AM
Their local is pretty scathing about it - https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-40963703.html - if short on much in the way of actually reporting what happened.

she clearly didnt watch the game, the synopsis is laughably inaccurate. we were not dominant in the first half, far from it actually. Galway bossed the first 25 minutes, it was even there after until half time. we scored on 50 mins and had 3 or 4 chances after that. galway were on the ropes after the goal until they made subs and changed the formation. our players WERE NOT effected by the delay in play if anything we had our best spell after we went 1 up. in a lot of games this year weve gone into our shells after going 1 up especially against gal/wex/waterford trying to protect the lead. the journalist claiming the players sat back only because the fans entered the pitch is bizarre , its like shes not seen us play all year, even though shes at every game

Crosshead
20/09/2022, 2:24 PM

"short on much in the way of actually reporting what happened" sums up most of her articles in fairness. Stealing a living.

gufct
20/09/2022, 2:32 PM
The biggest problem cork have is supporter’s who are barred from home and away games who still travel and go looking for trouble in the city centres. We’ve never had any trouble with Cork Fans until this season and their behaviour around town for the 2 away games this year was shocking and will only drive people away from the game.

outspoken
20/09/2022, 5:42 PM
The biggest problem cork have is supporter’s who are barred from home and away games who still travel and go looking for trouble in the city centres. We’ve never had any trouble with Cork Fans until this season and their behaviour around town for the 2 away games this year was shocking and will only drive people away from the game.

Some proper weapons following them

Martinho II
20/09/2022, 8:57 PM
Some proper weapons following them

You can include some of Bray Wanderers away fans too! Sign of todays society Im afraid.

Philosophizer
22/09/2022, 7:53 PM
Scrappy affair so far at Tolka. Shels having the better of it. Rovers looking lethargic again - lots of mistakes.

Dermobohs
22/09/2022, 8:01 PM
They have a habit of winning these scrappy ones though

Philosophizer
22/09/2022, 8:04 PM
Rovers brought McCann on at half time. Him and Byrne starting to dominate now.

ger121
22/09/2022, 8:10 PM
Think I saw there was not a shot on target from either side in the first half.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
22/09/2022, 8:33 PM
Only thing on target was when a Shels fan hit the linesman with something

Philosophizer
22/09/2022, 8:44 PM
Think I saw there was not a shot on target from either side in the first half.
Wasn't many in the 2nd either. Although Cleary did hit a rasper from 40 yards that Clarke had to tip onto the bar.

placid casual
22/09/2022, 8:47 PM
Dire pitch. Dire Ref. Dire game.

ontheotherhand
22/09/2022, 8:48 PM
I would have taken 4 points from our two games in hand so I don't mind the result but based on our recent performances I'd be shocked if Derry don't win the league from here. We are shattered. So, so poor tonight again. Byrne is a million miles away from the player he was before the back injury and covid hit him. Gaffney looks spent.

ger121
22/09/2022, 8:49 PM

Dire form?

nigel-harps1954
22/09/2022, 9:26 PM
Only caught the second half. Brutal game of football. Pitch didn't really look to help matters either. Was there a lot of rain around Dublin this week? Seemed a very soft surface.

Philosophizer
22/09/2022, 9:27 PM
Tonight reminded me of a LOI game from the 90s. It just had that vibe - the ground, the game, everything.
Loads of effort, challenges and fouls, but very little constructive play in the final third. At least twice in the game the goalkeepers had their clearances charged down by attackers. Nobody have anyone an inch.
Rovers do look shattered all right. Surprised Emakhu didn't come on earlier. He's one who looked fresh and lively.

Philosophizer
22/09/2022, 9:38 PM
The RTE report of the match tonight is so scathing it's almost comical.

ontheotherhand
22/09/2022, 9:41 PM
Tonight reminded me of a LOI game from the 90s. It just had that vibe - the ground, the game, everything.
Loads of effort, challenges and fouls, but very little constructive play in the final third. At least twice in the game the goalkeepers had their clearances charged down by attackers. Nobody have anyone an inch.
Rovers do look shattered all right. Surprised Emakhu didn't come on earlier. He's one who looked fresh and lively.

Said the same during the game. It brought back some very dull memories of games in Tolka Park.

total hoofball
23/09/2022, 8:23 AM
I have seen far worse 0-0 matches in the LOI over the years than that one last night that ranks more favourably amongst some of those 0-0 horrorshows I've seen. At least both teams showed they could pass the ball around, showed some good series of moves and some full blooded challenges on show, both teams were completely blunt lacking creativity around the 18 yard box

Philosophizer
23/09/2022, 9:22 AM
True actually, it could have been way worse. Neither team resorted to aimless long hoofs up the pitch, even though they had big strikers in Boyd and Gaffney.
Both teams tried to play on the ground but were constantly cancelled out.