PDA

View Full Version : LOI Central live show and podcast

Philosophizer
07/09/2022, 2:09 PM
Just listening to the latest LOI Central podcast where they had an interview with Stephen Kenny and Chris Shields among others.
I always enjoy listening to Dan McDonnell, but Johnny Ward must have been drunk, he was just so unprofessional. Stephen Kenny was getting annoyed with him because he kept interrupting the guests as they were talking. He's like a child. He'd ask one question, and as the guest starts talking he'll immediately ask a different question (sometimes to a different guest) or just start talking over the guest with his own bullsh!t observations.
The guests spoke well though... when they got a chance.

Longfordian
07/09/2022, 2:23 PM
His style always irritates me on those podcasts. He's like an annoying lad in the pub. They're much more enjoyable when he's not on them.

Jd2793
07/09/2022, 2:35 PM
JW was more irritating the usual. I like him generally but im amazed with all the media work hes done over the years that hes never learned on when to stay quiet mid question. its like he gets bored once someone has said 10 words then blurts out another question to keep himself interested. its very annoying. hes much better on OTB saturdays than he is on loi central, dan has his hands full with him there.

ger121
07/09/2022, 3:24 PM
He probably was drunk. Wasn’t Dan’s 40th on the Saturday and JW likes to party.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
07/09/2022, 3:27 PM
He said on one of the podcasts that someone said they thought he might have some form of ADHD and that mightn’t be too far off the mark. He’s a nice guy but he’s awful on the LOI podcast.

sbgawa
07/09/2022, 3:32 PM
He said on one of the podcasts that someone said they thought he might have some form of ADHD and that mightn’t be too far off the mark. He’s a nice guy but he’s awful on the LOI podcast.

Have to say i like him , i like the odd couple vibe off the two of them , for me it plays well

2 Year Contract
07/09/2022, 3:41 PM
Have to say i like him , i like the odd couple vibe off the two of them , for me it plays well

Agree with you there, the two personalities work very well together for a podcast

brendy_éire
07/09/2022, 3:54 PM
Agree with you there, the two personalities work very well together for a podcast

Same.
I actually enjoy JW's random tangents and always getting in a Galway reference.

Only half way through the SK interview, so maybe it'll annoy me more as it goes on.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
07/09/2022, 4:20 PM
The lads always make a joke at themselves whenever either says “interesting” by repeating it back etc on the pod as they said it so much. JW was on Newstalk one evening and someone said it he repeated it back automatically. The other person had no idea what he was on about.

D24Saint
07/09/2022, 4:36 PM
Just listening to the latest LOI Central podcast where they had an interview with Stephen Kenny and Chris Shields among others.
I always enjoy listening to Dan McDonnell, but Johnny Ward must have been drunk, he was just so unprofessional. Stephen Kenny was getting annoyed with him because he kept interrupting the guests as they were talking. He's like a child. He'd ask one question, and as the guest starts talking he'll immediately ask a different question (sometimes to a different guest) or just start talking over the guest with his own bullsh!t observations.
The guests spoke well though... when they got a chance.

I was at the live show and found it enjoyable. As team they work as they have a bit of a good cop bad cop thing going on. I liked seeing that side of Kennys personally when having a back and forth with JW. He should show that side more often as he comes across as stiff during Ireland interviews.

bohsmug
07/09/2022, 5:56 PM
I was there too. Really enjoyed it, more than I would've expected to even.
I haven't listened to the recording so don't know how well it comes across. I'd imagine it's a bit of a balancing act to try get it to work well as a podcast and as a live... performance..? Hope they do it again anyway.

Philosophizer
07/09/2022, 5:58 PM
The lads always make a joke at themselves whenever either says “interesting” by repeating it back etc on the pod as they said it so much. JW was on Newstalk one evening and someone said it he repeated it back automatically. The other person had no idea what he was on about.
That's gas to be fair. He has a bit of madcap (he could say anything next) vibe about him that generally works well on radio because he's never short of something to say.

Philosophizer
07/09/2022, 6:05 PM
But I think on reflection he was just the wrong type of interviewer for Kenny.
Kenny speaks slowly and thoughtfully and often leaves big pauses as he's gathering his thoughts. JW on the other hand wants to be constantly talking so couldn't help butting in all the time.
I'm not sure if JW was drinking or if he was just giddy/nervous because it was their first live show on front of an audience but he was even more disruptive than usual.
I shared some of Kenny's frustration.

kksaints
07/09/2022, 6:08 PM

Same here, considering they've been on the go since the 2017 season it never feels stale and there's been very few bad shows.

ger121
07/09/2022, 7:29 PM
Listened to it and JW was definitely a few deep by the time the show started. I don’t mind him personally and he and Dan are a great double act.

Martinho II
07/09/2022, 8:20 PM
I listened to it myself I doubt JW was drinking but was a lot more nervous than normal. Really enjoyed the listen!

bluemovie
07/09/2022, 11:16 PM
That's the charm of Johnny though. He's a messer - giddy, brazen - but that brings out a different side in interviewees so you often get better answers than one of these repetitive, carbon copy interviews. Kenny has a sense of humour so was having fun with him. I like that good cop/bad cop analogy. It might even be a bit of start pupil/brazen child dynamic.

bohsmug
08/09/2022, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I thought it gave a little peak behind the window of how Kenny deals with various personalities in a dressing room. Not a major one, just a little hint.

Jack B
08/09/2022, 9:30 PM
I found Johnny's constant interrupting of people's answers to his questions so he could ask new questions annoying when I first started listening in the beginning but agree with most above, grew on me quite quickly and it's the only LOI one I really listen to at all. The show has a good balance of proper conversations while being able to laugh at itself and McDonnell constantly getting wound up by JW just makes it all seem more sincere.

Jd2793
14/09/2022, 9:23 AM
JW redeemed himself on this weeks recording of the live show.

2 Year Contract
14/09/2022, 2:20 PM
Thought the part two was gas alright. Would love to see someone get those sort of stories out of veteran LOI heads more often similar to the Under The Cosh podcast do with ex pro's/current ones in the later end of their careers in England and Scotland. Some hilarious stories and a great insight behind the scenes

Philosophizer
17/08/2023, 12:05 PM
Dan on LOI central this week mentioned Bohs have a sell on clause for Evan Ferguson - I wasn’t aware of that. It will surely be a big windfall in years to come. Dan mentioned that a conservative estimate would be 7-8m already! I guess that means the sell on clause is around 10%.

Burnsie
17/08/2023, 5:18 PM
It's been suggested (possibly on this podcast) that its "up to 15%". It may be that the proportion would vary depending on the fee, rather than being a fixed percentage. So Dan's conservative estimate would imply a transfer fee of say €50m, which I think is reasonable.

(Irish pundits and fans getting absolutely carried away and jumping to nine-figure sums. I'm old enough to remember when Bazunu and Collins were among the best young players in Europe in their positions....)

Nesta99
17/08/2023, 5:41 PM
Dan on LOI central this week mentioned Bohs have a sell on clause for Evan Ferguson - I wasn’t aware of that. It will surely be a big windfall in years to come. Dan mentioned that a conservative estimate would be 7-8m already! I guess that means the sell on clause is around 10%.

So Bohs actually getting damn close to selling the same thing twice - if at first you dont succeed....

2 Year Contract
17/08/2023, 5:55 PM
So Bohs actually getting damn close to selling the same thing twice - if at first you dont succeed....

Don’t speak too soon, if Ferguson is sold to Saudi Arabia I'm sure Bohs being the doers of all that’s good in the world will turn down every penny of the 10 or so million quid given the ethics involved and all that ;)

Nesta99
17/08/2023, 7:36 PM
Don’t speak too soon, if Ferguson is sold to Saudi Arabia I'm sure Bohs being the doers of all that’s good in the world will turn down every penny of the 10 or so million quid given the ethics involved and all that ;)

That would be a very interesting situation to watch pan out! Id nearly ignore the undertones to this Saudi splashing the cash just for the curiosity value on this possibility.

SkStu
17/08/2023, 8:01 PM

Well practically speaking it’s B&HA who’ll be paying this hypothetical money to Bohs. They’ll be cutting the cheque like.

(I know you’re just having a laugh)

Nesta99
17/08/2023, 8:10 PM
Nah! It'd be Brighton just forwarding on the Saudi cash - at least thats the line everyone would take just for the giggles!

pineapple stu
17/08/2023, 8:20 PM
Maybe Bohs should insist on a "Can't sell on to Saudi clubs" clause?