PDA

View Full Version : Dublin City fans

The Stars
30/07/2005, 10:11 AM
Im not trying to pull the p!ss or anything i just want to know how many Dublin City fans do you guys think there are.

rockstar
30/07/2005, 1:16 PM
:o Between 12 and 15(on a good night).

Derek
30/07/2005, 4:40 PM
About 1000

sligoman
30/07/2005, 4:42 PM
About 1000

:rolleyes:, :D. Most of your fans must show their support by not going to the matches then is it?

Maynard
30/07/2005, 5:33 PM
"Rockstar" PFO if you wouldn't mind.
We sell about 120 season tickets, with roughly the same numbers again who come along once in a while (own a jersey/saw us at Tolka/Whitehall etc) So it's hard to tell. But moronic Carkie etc comments aside, the numbers we have are growing and we can create a bit of a buzz when we have to. I thought the other night was a good example of how far we've come in the last few years, bearing in mind NONE of the City fans I know (which is most of em :rolleyes: ) EVER followed Home Farm, so have only begun following the club during the last 4 years, most of them only in the last 2.
Fans of Dublin City have great respect for all the clubs in the League, particularly those who have a commendable history like Sligo. All we ask is to be given the chance to make our own history which started in 2001. We don't pretend to be anything we're not, but people who support this club are supporters of Irish soccer, not barstoolers. There's alot this club wants to achieve on and off the pitch, and every year we hope to get closer to fulfilling that ambition. It's not easy following a club that doesn't have all the building blocks already in place, but we hope to be a part of that building process. If we can get a couple of hundred supporters showing up this season (and with our impending return to Whitehall) I see no reason why we can't be close to the 1,000 mark within the next 5 years or so. That's the goal.

Poor Student
30/07/2005, 8:05 PM
I thought the other night was a good example of how far we've come in the last few years, bearing in mind NONE of the City fans I know (which is most of em :rolleyes: ) EVER followed Home Farm, so have only begun following the club during the last 4 years, most of them only in the last 2.

It's funny how people say there's too many Dublin clubs and that that's only to the detriment of Dublin soccer overstretching things for the others. If what you say is the case then that's 100 or so extra fans attracted to the league who may well have never supported one of the current clubs. I just wish Dublin City would settle out of other club's catchment areas. But rather for the reason that they're hampering other clubs I think they are hampering themselves as they won't get any fans down in Inchicore. Hopefully you'll be back in Whitehall soon.

However 1,000 fans is highly ambitous, not that that is a bad thing by any means. UCD have been at it for several deacdes now and we have increased the fanbase very slowly. But you do have some important connections we don't like the Carrolls one.

Derek
31/07/2005, 3:17 PM
If what you say is the case then that's 100 or so extra fans attracted to the league who may well have never supported one of the current clubs. I just wish Dublin City would settle out of other club's catchment areas.

I "supported" english football for years and never followed any one Eircom team, I want to the odd Eircom game and never felt the urge to support a team until I came across Dublin City, I instantly felt at home. I reckon there are loads of people like me who just need a little push and then they will get hooked. That is why there is plenty of room for the Dubs, as an ex barstooler I know the people are there waiting to be converted. I enjoy the live game so much that I am cancelling my sky sports!

In Dubland everyday you will see thousands of kids/adults in english premier league team kit who never go to Eircom games, they are the people that we and the league needs to target. I have'nt worn my man u top for about 18 months and will probably never wear it again.

Rovers1
31/07/2005, 3:27 PM
About 1000

:eek: :rolleyes:

and the average crowd at an Eircom League game is 50,000 ;)

dope

Rovers1
31/07/2005, 3:29 PM
I have'nt worn my man u top for about 18 months and will probably never wear it again.

youre not the only one, stopped supporting united 6 years ago after they won the treble,got too much into rovers

GO ON THE LOI!!!!!

Derek
31/07/2005, 3:40 PM
:eek: :rolleyes:

and the average crowd at an Eircom League game is 50,000 ;)

dope

I was joking you dipstick

blueviking1980
02/08/2005, 4:02 PM
Im in the same boat... I was also an English club (Leicester City.. shhh!) fan for many years & use to laugh at EL & wud've rather watched a fashion show before seein a home grown club game. (I never went to a fashion show nor do I wish to by the way anytime soon, but ya know wat I mean.) I dont wear their jersey anymore either. Good luck to them but Im a solo Dublin City Viking now.. ;)

Dublin City bein in the situation it is (young & ambitious) was & is the best reason for some of us gullible 'English football supporters' to wake up & help our own.. :eek:

It's either stupidity or shyness that has most of our lot attached to other clubs but our own. End of the day if ya dont have any solid or true identity with the club involved (like many of our crowd in Ireland) there is no point in the long term factor.. :rolleyes:

So all us, new & old dedicated EL/LOI supporters can only somehow teach if ya will the devolpin circumstances of the footballin world that's ruinin so many Irish teams.. :mad:

loudy macloud
02/08/2005, 4:11 PM
i am going to agree with a few of ye there in regards to no longer supporting the english league, i wont say i have turned my back on it completey
just over the past few years i have prefered to go and actually watch the game live, rather than sit in a pub staring at the tv with the "football experts" either side of me telling me what such and such a player is doing wrong

fair enough i support athlone, and at the moment we are the worst team in the league, but i still rather go down to crappy st. mels on a friday evening or to any away match i can, which has been most of them

Battery Rover
02/08/2005, 4:17 PM
I have totally given up on foreign football. Couldn't even be bothered switching on the TV to watch it.

Nothing better than going to a live match in ST Mels on a Friday night even if we are at the moment the worst team in the league according to the table at the moment

The sunshiners have left ST Mels so it is only the die hards left for now.

Castle Barracks
02/08/2005, 4:21 PM
Do the Eircom League publish match attendances?

Ringo
02/08/2005, 5:21 PM
But you do have some important connections we don't like the Carrolls one.

Why :confused:

Schumi
02/08/2005, 5:52 PM
No. Some clubs release official attendances though.

Breifne
02/08/2005, 11:17 PM
Why :confused:

I think he was trying to say they don't have any connections like the carrolls one, not "we don't like the the carrolls one".

It should have read,
But you do have some important connections we don't, like the Carrolls one.

It was actually a complement to both the club and our main sponsors, i think.

Ringo
03/08/2005, 6:26 AM
a bit like eats shoots & leaves :D or eats, shoots & leaves

Breifne
03/08/2005, 8:59 AM
a bit like eats shoots & leaves :D or eats, shoots & leaves

Kinda, only not with such a suggestive subject matter, although you did get worked up like a women scorned.

Just wondering what top was derek wearing that got you all annoyed, can't remember

Ringo
03/08/2005, 9:51 AM
Kinda, only not with such a suggestive subject matter, although you did get worked up like a women scorned.

Just wondering what top was derek wearing that got you all annoyed, can't remember

Derek said at the start of the game, that we hadn't won a game when he'd been wearing it.

pineapple stu
03/08/2005, 12:36 PM
The best stab is in the eL forum here, as a stick marked "2005 attendances". Bohs, Galway, Shels, Limerick, Pat's and Cork release official attendances. Rovers supply us with figures occasionally too.

pineapple stu
03/08/2005, 12:40 PM
If we can get a couple of hundred supporters showing up this season (and with our impending return to Whitehall) I see no reason why we can't be close to the 1,000 mark within the next 5 years or so.
I do. You're roughly in the same boat as us, except that (a) we've got a home ground and a home catchment area, (b) we've no competing clubs as close as Bohs and Shels to Whitehall, (c) we're actually good and (d) we're a few years ahead of you. Don't delude yourself with the notion that having Dublin in your name and wearing blue will bring the crowds flocking - it won't. Can tell you that from experience! Building a fanbase is a slow process as we're finding out. We're up from maybe 150 regulars five years ago to about 400 now. Youz are starting from a lower point, in the First Division (and judging by last season, yez have a way to go to bridge the gap), so I think 1000 home fans in five years is wildly optimistic.

Obviously best of luck in getting there - whatever people say about Dublin City, a DC with 1000 average crowd is more desirable than one with a 150 average - but it's a slow process unfortunately.

Poor Student
03/08/2005, 12:46 PM
I think he was trying to say they don't have any connections like the carrolls one, not "we don't like the the carrolls one".

It should have read,
But you do have some important connections we don't, like the Carrolls one.

It was actually a complement to both the club and our main sponsors, i think.

Correct. Though not quite a compliment as a statement of fact. :D Pineapple sort of said what I was getting at. But I was saying you do have a key ally in Carrolls. Granted it's no single answer by any means to establish your club but it's something more than we have in our favour.

Maynard
03/08/2005, 1:42 PM
I'm not going to get into a bitter UCD Vs DCFC debate here, but personally I think that with the aid of a medium/longterm home ground, Dublin City will offer more things to more people than UCD. I went to UCD (fleetingly, before moving to DLIADT) and geographically they are my nearest "local" team, but, although wishing them no ill whatsoever, I could never have supported them. This means that I travel WAY out of my way to follow Dublin City every week. Whitehall creates a great buzz, and has good bar facilities etc, if we could build a decent team around that ground (albeit we'd need to add a few hundred seats, which we would do) then I think we could do well numbers wise. We're not trying to outdo anyone, we just want to increase our own support as much as possible, and personally I think that if a few things go our way (and over time people will see that we're not a fad that is going to die away) we'll be ok.

pineapple stu
03/08/2005, 8:21 PM
I'm not going to get into a bitter UCD Vs DCFC debate here
Where'd you get bitter from? :confused:

Personally I think that with the aid of a medium/longterm home ground, Dublin City will offer more things to more people than UCD.
Why, out of interest?

Whitehall creates a great buzz
Ah now! ;)

Again, no particular ill-will towards Dublin City, but I think some of the DC fans' visions, shall we say, seem well off the mark. This is purely based on the scepticism - realism, even - of being five years further down the line than you.

Poor Student
03/08/2005, 8:24 PM
Out of interest why could you never have supported us? :confused:

blueviking1980
04/08/2005, 10:00 AM
Coz ur students... :D

Nah, but personaly ya's wouldn't have been way down the list if Dublin City (The 1st Irish club to win the Champions League ;) ) woudn't have won me over. Im new to EL as is DCFC if ya catch my drift so it's a solid match. Besides I was born in the city so I rest my case.

Poor Student
04/08/2005, 12:24 PM
Lads seeming as we both have small supports we could use this forum to engineer an artifical rivalry a la Sligo and Galway. It might make us look more important. :D

Breifne
04/08/2005, 12:29 PM
Lads seeming as we both have small supports we could use this forum to engineer an artifical rivalry a la Sligo and Galway. It might make us look more important. :D

Starting on Sunday, when our supporters club beat you off the field* (Please note this may differ from reality, but where football is concerned you are allowed to have artistic license.)

Maynard
04/08/2005, 3:00 PM
Firstly DC draws from a wider geographical bracket than UCD. Eg: Ballymun, Sandymount, Deansgrange, Artane etc etc (note: this is not due to any specific push to garner support from any of these areas, just places where I know some fans come from) Add to that a mildly successful team playing at a fixed venue (where people can enjoy a cheap pint and a laugh) with the catch-all name of Dublin City and with their jerseys and merchandise widely available to the public...then (and to be frank I don't care how off the mark you think I might be) I think we can build a nice little band of supporters for ourselves. It's a miracle that we've picked up any new fans in the last 2 years at all, but we have, and some of them are the most committed and dedicated that I have seen at the club, and these people are helping the club in many ways that people outside cannot see yet. If the club can start helping itself (and AFAIK it is making moves to do so) then I fully believe that we will do well.

I know alot of people like to diss Whitehall. But anyone who was at the Dublin City Vs Kildare County/Finn Harps or Bray Wanderers matches in 2003 will testify to the atmosphere that can be created there. If DCFC and Sligo could serve up the atmosphere we did at Richmond last week, then I have no doubt that we can surpass that at Whitehall. A small, compact terraced area is perfect for us right now. Add to that the AMAZING playing surface that they have at Whitehall, and the burgers, chips, beers, sweets etc that will be laid on for the punters and I think it'd rival many grounds for value for money and a good night out.

As far as why I could never support UCD...well I don't really want to go into it too much, but suffice to say that my brief spell at UCD was fairly unpleasant, and I had some bad memories of the place for along time. Also I've been to a number of UCD games in the past and nothing on or off the field ever made my want to get involved as a fan. Just left me kinda cold I guess.

Anyway end of rants, I promise :o

P.S Regarding the match against UCD on Sunday; so far we have Obi, Kev, Donnchadh, Tom, Derek, James, Paul and Bref confirmed to play. If we can add Sean, Neil etc we should be ok...John K can't play as he has a pre-season match fixed for that day.

Breifne
04/08/2005, 3:11 PM
Regarding the match against UCD on Sunday; so far we have Obi, Kev, Donnchadh, Tom, Derek, James, Paul and Bref confirmed to play. If we can add Sean, Neil etc we should be ok...

will be chatting to Paddy this evening, and tully and the other derek. Eoin that couldn't make the Shels game is coming too. Sean might not be able to make it, but he was getting in touch with Neil and Sam, so should have about 15 or 16.

Pitch and ref have been arranged by UCD, just to let you know lads, macker has organised the astro and the ref for 4 on Sunday, he has a game in Kildare at 3, so make sure you sort out the arrangements with him.

I'll probably be at the game tomorrow in Belfield, and hope to discuss the fine details with Pineapple and the UCD lads, so here is hoping.

PS can glen play, and what about harry.

Maynard
04/08/2005, 3:17 PM
Glenn is doubtful, but he'll probably show up on the day either way. Harry is working. Should be able to get some of the local lads here who couldn't make the Shels game, but I'll hold off asking anyone until we see how we are for numbers.

Breifne
04/08/2005, 3:20 PM
Glenn is doubtful, but he'll probably show up on the day either way. Harry is working. Should be able to get some of the local lads here who couldn't make the Shels game, but I'll hold off asking anyone until we see how we are for numbers.

Well you have eight, I'll know about Derek, Paddy and Tully tonight, also Sean, Neil and Sam. What about dereks mate tom. He was okay, Eoin says he is coming, but he let us down for the shels game, so thats 16 if everyone there shows up. Damo might be round as well.

sligoman
04/08/2005, 3:25 PM

:confused:, you saying we're not important? :D

pineapple stu
04/08/2005, 7:25 PM
Firstly DC draws from a wider geographical bracket than UCD. Eg: Ballymun, Sandymount, Deansgrange, Artane etc etc (note: this is not due to any specific push to garner support from any of these areas, just places where I know some fans come from)
Doesn't stack up, I'm afraid. You haven't considered where our support comes from. Dean's Grange, DĂșn Laoghaire, Rathfarnham, Ballinteer, Kilmacud, Terenure, Riverside, Phibsboro, South Circular Road, etc. Our Supporters' Club has members living in Peterboro, Liverpool, Cork and Nottingham. So that's not a wider geographical range than us.

Add to that a mildly successful team playing at a fixed venue (where people can enjoy a cheap pint and a laugh)
You'll have to stay in the Premier to be mildly successful! ;)

If this post is a continuation of your argument that DC offers more than UCD, then we're far more successful, having an FAI Cup, a Super Cup and two European qualifications, among others, to our name. Not exactly Rovers, but still more than youz, which surely negates your point?

with the catch-all name of Dublin City
Meh. Not nearly as important as DC fans make out. The name of the club isn't one of the top reasons people start following a club. If you're arguing that the name is geographically neutral, then so is every Dublin club's name.

Again, as I've said, a DC with 1000 average crowd is more desirable than one with a 150 average. However, I can't agree with you that DC offer more than UCD, nor that you'll have 1000 home fans in five years. Again, realism, not put-down-ness. When you get my experience supporting a low-fan-base club, you'll get my scepticism! ;)

P.S Regarding the match against UCD on Sunday
Must try and sort this out our end. I'm doing first aid on the Horse Show, but am trying to get cover for the afternoon. Bald Student, Aberdonian Stu, Schumi, John 83 and Colie all seem in. The half-time draw kids want a game. Kev Ryan's after flying to Denmark or somewhere, Joey's gone to Tipp and Poor Student's under the thumb in Slovenia again. Must try the drunken 16-year-olds, Tommy Mac and a few others. Should be OK anyway.

Maynard
05/08/2005, 5:30 PM
Sound. Your club is bigger and better than mine, my club will never amount to anything, and 200 fans is the most we can ever possibly aspire to. Everything I know or think about Dublin City Football Club is wrong, and only based on week-in, week-out experience of being involved with the club for the last 3 or so years.

I guess I should dust off my Man Utd shirt and climb back up on that barstool.

Just because you haven't got things right doesn't me we can't Stu.

pineapple stu
06/08/2005, 1:26 AM
:rolleyes:

Don't start getting stupid, Maynard. That's not my point and you know it. I'm not questioning your knowledge of DCFC, I'm questioning your knowledge of UCD FC, to which you are making a direct comparison. I am also pointing out what I have experienced in the last five years as a fan of a small club. Or maybe my real-life experiences are wrong?

It's especially ironic that you accuse me of arguing that "Your club is bigger and better than mine, my club will never amount to anything" when you yourself opened this debate by saying "Personally I think that...Dublin City will offer more things to more people than UCD", which is a very similar argument.