PDA

View Full Version : Sligo fielding an ineligible player?

Pages : [1] 2

brendy_éire
05/09/2022, 6:16 PM
https://twitter.com/sligorovers/status/1566849751911473154?t=uG4bCLWMG0I_FSg4bJ0u2Q&s=19

Sligo won the match 2-0 at the Showgrounds.

Sounds a little bit like the issue with Sean Hargan for us back in the 00s. Sligo doing the same and questioning communications from the FAI.

sbgawa
05/09/2022, 6:19 PM
Dundalk back in the title race

pineapple stu
05/09/2022, 6:21 PM
Eh by gum it's been a while since we 'ad an asterisk...

joey B
05/09/2022, 6:22 PM
Sounds like what happened between Harps and Waterford last season….

nigel-harps1954
05/09/2022, 6:22 PM
FAI are crap at updating lists to clubs at times. Wouldn't be surprised to see Sligo win this case.

Kiki Balboa
05/09/2022, 6:53 PM
Sligo failed at registering one of their loan signings in the summer. Seems like these issues might be a trend.

Martinho II
05/09/2022, 6:58 PM
Brings back memories of nearly 20 years ago when we got deducted points for fielding Avery John and won our case on a technicality! Alas 4 years later we got deducted points for ineligible players and went down as a result. Think it was Gary Deegan as far as I can remember.

D24Saint
05/09/2022, 6:59 PM
Last thing our European aspirations needed was that result to be over turned.

The Bowler
05/09/2022, 7:03 PM
How come this happens at least once every season. Staggering incompetence and just about sums up the levels of professionalism in the LOI. The rules are clear, they aren't secret, so the clubs are just plain incompetent

joey B
05/09/2022, 7:09 PM
Is there any word on the Shels/Pats game? Seems these 2 games will have a major impact on 4th place now….

Longfordian
05/09/2022, 7:19 PM
Brings back memories of nearly 20 years ago when we got deducted points for fielding Avery John and won our case on a technicality! Alas 4 years later we got deducted points for ineligible players and went down as a result. Think it was Gary Deegan as far as I can remember.

The second was 7 years later and it was for the late submission of information for licensing. Nothing to do with ineligible players.

sidewayspasser
05/09/2022, 7:37 PM
The player in question isn't listed here:
https://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/news/match-officials-suspension-list--midweek-fixtures/id-4406

Now that list might only be meant as information to the public, but it gives credibility to the allegation that there may have been contradictory communications.

Kiki Balboa
05/09/2022, 8:09 PM
What was the suspension for? I assume yellow cards?

Yossarian
05/09/2022, 8:58 PM
I would have thought the FAI are only referring this to the disciplinary committee if they are sure that Sligo were properly notified. But then I’m probably giving them too much credit.

total hoofball
05/09/2022, 9:06 PM
Is there any word on the Shels/Pats game? Seems these 2 games will have a major impact on 4th place now….
No word. It's the only postponed fixture still not rescheduled yet, clearly the FAI are taking the outcome very carefully legally

TonyD
05/09/2022, 11:13 PM
No word. It's the only postponed fixture still not rescheduled yet, clearly the FAI are taking the outcome very carefully legally

The hearing only took place the other day. They can’t delay a decision for too long.

oriel
06/09/2022, 8:30 AM
The player in question isn't listed here:
https://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/news/match-officials-suspension-list--midweek-fixtures/id-4406

Now that list might only be meant as information to the public, but it gives credibility to the allegation that there may have been contradictory communications.

It seems a follow up was sent / published by the league and the player was on the list, and Sligo missed that. If its confirmed that an updated list was sent before the game, the rule states a 3-0 win will be awarded to the opposition.

oriel
06/09/2022, 8:31 AM

I noticed that Shels v Pats game was also not re-scheduled, there could be another sting in the tail for that outcome, who knows, just odd it seems to be the only backlog game not yet re-fixed.

brendy_éire
06/09/2022, 10:09 AM
It seems a follow up was sent / published by the league and the player was on the list, and Sligo missed that. If its confirmed that an updated list was sent before the game, the rule states a 3-0 win will be awarded to the opposition.

Don't know the rules exactly, but you'd like to think that if that was the case, someone in FAI HQ would give Sligo a call to make sure they knew. Basic customer service.

Yossarian
06/09/2022, 10:55 AM
I wonder do any clubs do their own tally on yellow cards so that they can have fair idea when a player will be suspended?
Seems in this case there is no dispute that he should’ve been suspended but the issue is what was communicated to Sligo and when.

I’d guess if an updated list was sent before the game that had him suspended then Sligo may not have much comeback.

brendy_éire
06/09/2022, 11:11 AM
I wonder do any clubs do their own tally on yellow cards so that they can have fair idea when a player will be suspended?

They must surely.
If so, the club and player would know he's due a suspension. When he doesn't appear on the list, would you not check with the FAI if they're made a mistake rather than risk losing the points?

In saying that, the onus is still on the FAI.

Shinkicker
06/09/2022, 11:15 AM
Seems in this case there is no dispute that he should’ve been suspended but the issue is what was communicated to Sligo and when.

I’d guess if an updated list was sent before the game that had him suspended then Sligo may not have much comeback.
I don't know what system is used, but I'm sure if its an automated/automatic electronic system Sligo would have been notified in good time prior to the game. On the other hand if the same system didn't notify and allowed a player to be named on an electronic team sheet that would indicate a fault in the system which would need addressed urgently. This COULD impact the outcome of the league and or a place in Europe and a financial loss.
Wonder I Sligo loose the points and miss Europe by the point lost would they have a case for compo?

Mr A
06/09/2022, 12:02 PM
Clubs do keep tallies but the player is not suspended until the notification comes.

Scrufil
06/09/2022, 12:32 PM
This could be a curse handed on to Sligo from Motherwell! I was listening to BBC Radio Scotland, prior to the Motherwell v Sligo Rovers clash and all the talk was about how Motherwell had been handed a loss in a game they played for fielding an illegal player. I believe it was the group stages of their league cup. The confusion came about because the player had been carded in a different competition and the club were not aware or were confused that the rule covered both competitions. In addition a second club got caught the same way in the same competition. Off hand I don't remember who the 2nd club was. So no Ireland is not unique in having unclear communicatiobs between clubs and governing F.A.

red bellied
06/09/2022, 12:34 PM
McDonnell served his suspension for the Drogheda game obviously there was some mix up along the lines and it seems he should of missed out on the rearranged Dundalk fixture.

Yossarian
06/09/2022, 1:08 PM
McDonnell served his suspension for the Drogheda game obviously there was some mix up along the lines and it seems he should of missed out on the rearranged Dundalk fixture.

The suspensions usually state it’s for the week beginning on the Monday, so are you saying that he didn’t play in the game on the Saturday instead of the preceding Monday?

2 Year Contract
06/09/2022, 1:15 PM
So no Ireland is not unique in having unclear communicatiobs between clubs and governing F.A.

Far from it! I recall Real Madrid getting thrown out of the Spanish cup in 2015 after bringing on a player that was due to serve a suspension that carried over from the previous season but claim they weren’t notified by the Spanish FA before the fixture

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2595745-real-madrid-expelled-from-copa-del-rey-after-playing-ineligible-denis-cheryshev.amp.html

red bellied
06/09/2022, 2:26 PM
The suspensions usually state it’s for the week beginning on the Monday, so are you saying that he didn’t play in the game on the Saturday instead of the preceding Monday?
Yes obviously communications got muddled some where but you can see from the tweet here he was left out for Drogheda game last Saturday night due to suspension.

https://twitter.com/sligorovers/status/1566120542419173382?t=sAgKvR9zjAsgkRx5Irw5-Q&s=19

seand
06/09/2022, 4:46 PM
Unless Sligo didn't receive communication that he was suspended at all (which seems unlikely) or received communication to explicitly see he wasn't suspended for the Dundalk game but is for the Drogs game, unlike every other suspension starting from a Monday, it's hard to see how they can avoid the loss of the game.

(For the record I don't want the 3 points, but would love to know the details of Sligo's argument here)

Nah Nah Nah Nah
06/09/2022, 4:55 PM
Oh the 3 points are definitely going to Dundalk unless we are argue our way out of it

sbgawa
06/09/2022, 9:33 PM
i dont want Dundalk to get the points either but it looks fairly slam dunk

Mr A
07/09/2022, 11:10 AM
Mad idea but go with me on this... have the media notification and the one to clubs be the same information.

Longfordian
07/09/2022, 11:53 AM
That's so crazy it just might work.

Nesta99
07/09/2022, 2:04 PM
Its probably naïve to make any presumptions on FAI stuff but surely there is a definitive list of suspensions published at a weeks beginning and that is the only list clubs should use. Anything else is provisional and could change maybe? While the FAI could or should inform individual clubs of player suspended for a given game, the club should also confirm things if they know a suspension is pending. Didnt this notification method initially happen due to clubs trying to pick game to have players serve their suspension against supposedly weaker sides or even in other competitions eg LSC and it was put a stop to. The ref should also have the up to date list, scan the team sheets and flag up a problem - more important than clashing colours on the sleeve of a jersey and its not as if there is likely to be a clatter of suspend players to go through, id guess 2 or 3 on average.

I wouldnt be jumping up and down looking for the 3 points but Id not be as generous as seand above as if it gets us over the line and in to Europe i'd take it. We've been denied possible promotion ourselves with another side being deducted points and then getting the back with a game or 2 left so as long as a decision is done and dusted either way.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
07/09/2022, 3:24 PM
Dundalk awarded a 3-0 win

sbgawa
07/09/2022, 3:33 PM
Dundalks title to lose from here ;)

Glen Of Aherlow
07/09/2022, 3:34 PM
Dundalk awarded a 3-0 win

Tough one for Sligo and from a selfish point of view makes it a lot harder for Pat's to get Third

Yossarian
07/09/2022, 3:35 PM
Dundalks title to lose from here ;)

We’ll probably lose to UCD now on Friday.

joey B
07/09/2022, 3:37 PM
Shels v Pats to be played aswell….

2 Year Contract
07/09/2022, 3:40 PM
Shels v Pats to be played aswell….

Shelbourne will be delighted that the local gardai can finally get their overtime

EatYerGreens
07/09/2022, 3:40 PM
Sure it wouldn't be the LOI without an asterisk against the league table most years.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
07/09/2022, 3:43 PM
Sligo Rovers are disappointed with the outcome of the FAI Disciplinary Control Unit hearing which results in an overturning of the recent win against Dundalk at The Showgrounds.

While we understand and admit that an error was made on the club’s behalf, the issue was contributed to by the omission of the player’s name from two weekly suspension lists issued by the FAI to all clubs, which lead to confusion.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
07/09/2022, 3:44 PM
Sure it wouldn't be the LOI without an asterisk against the league table most years.

Does this even constitute an asterisk?

2 Year Contract
07/09/2022, 3:50 PM
Does this even constitute an asterisk?

Probably not, I don’t recall any asterisks in 2021 when Sligo were awarded a 3-0 win over Waterford by the FAI or in 2019 when UCD's 1-0 win over Bohs was upgraded to a 3–0 win by the FAI

oriel
07/09/2022, 3:56 PM
Checking back on this, and although we have been involved in a few disputes / challenges of similar nature, this is the first time that I can see that Dundalk have ever benefited from *3 points awarded.

Previous ones were with Waterford and both play offs, one in 1997 when Waterford challenged that Dundalk used an unsigned player (Jeff McNamara) who scored in a win + then the b/s play off that mattered for nothing which we also won, and sparked the infamous Maxi stunt in 06 or 07.

Sorry for Sligo in this as it was as simple admin error, then again we lost something similar when the club missed counting Chris Shields yellows and he got needless booking v Cork when the league was won and he ended up missing the cup final in 2019.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
07/09/2022, 4:18 PM
Missed this piece at the bottom of our press release. Can’t imagine much will come out of it.

The club will take further legal advice on the outcome.

Longfordian
07/09/2022, 4:38 PM
Probably not, I don’t recall any asterisks in 2021 when Sligo were awarded a 3-0 win over Waterford by the FAI or in 2019 when UCD's 1-0 win over Bohs was upgraded to a 3–0 win by the FAI

When did it change from three points deducted to the points being awarded to the other team? Which is much fairer. I just can't recall when it changed.

2 Year Contract
07/09/2022, 4:41 PM
When did it change from three points deducted to the points being awarded to the other team? Which is much fairer. I just can't recall when it changed.

No idea, but 2019 is the earliest I can think of it happening (not to say that it didn’t happen earlier than that). Bohs were very lucky back then that the admin error happened in a game they had already lost

pineapple stu
07/09/2022, 4:43 PM
We got a 3-1 win over Cabo turned into a 3-0 win in 2015 too

I suppose technically the point of an asterisk is to show why the points tally doesn't match what you'd expect from the W-D-L record. So docking points needs one but changing the result doesn't.

Shinkicker
08/09/2022, 5:04 AM
Sligo Rovers are disappointed with the outcome of the FAI Disciplinary Control Unit hearing which results in an overturning of the recent win against Dundalk at The Showgrounds.

While we understand and admit that an error was made on the club’s behalf, the issue was contributed to by the omission of the player’s name from two weekly suspension lists issued by the FAI to all clubs, which lead to confusion.
Omission of the players name from the list is not a good enough excuse on behalf of the FAI. A head would need to roll !!