Cosmo
29/07/2005, 10:12 AM
Doesn't matter to the EL. Shels won't be playing them anyway unfortunately

sullanefc
29/07/2005, 10:12 AM
Everton V Villareal

sullanefc
29/07/2005, 10:13 AM
Manyoo V Debrecen or Split (interesting if they got Split)

sullanefc
29/07/2005, 10:14 AM
Liverpool / Ekranas V Tirana or CSKA Sofia

sullanefc
29/07/2005, 10:15 AM
Anorthis or Trabzonspor V Rangers

Peadar
29/07/2005, 10:20 AM
Liverpool / Ekranas

Ekranas were knocked out of the UEFA Cup by Cork City FC last night.

Kaunas are the team trailing to Liverpool in that tie.

LFC in Exile
29/07/2005, 10:22 AM
From soccerbot.com.

Rosenberg played 14 and only won 5. Maybe not a bad time to get them if Steau can be somehow overcome.

Avg
Team P W D L F A GD Pts Pts
1 IK Start 14 9 3 2 27 15 12 30 2.1
2 Vålerenga IF 14 8 3 3 23 15 8 27 1.9
3 Viking FK 14 8 3 3 23 16 7 27 1.9
4 SK Brann 14 7 3 4 29 17 12 24 1.7
5 Lillestrøm SK 14 7 3 4 21 18 3 24 1.7
6 Lyn 14 5 6 3 19 13 6 21 1.5
7 Fredrikstad 14 5 4 5 19 20 -1 19 1.4
8 Rosenborg BK 14 5 3 6 25 20 5 18 1.3
9 Molde FK 14 5 3 6 20 27 -7 18 1.3
10 Ham-Kam 14 4 2 8 13 20 -7 14 1.0
11 Aalesund 14 3 4 7 14 22 -8 13 0.9
12 Tromsø IL 14 2 6 6 13 18 -5 12 0.9
13 Odd-Grenland 14 3 3 8 9 25 -16 12 0.9
14 FK Bodø/Glimt 14 2 4 8 14 23 -9 10 0.7
Powered By Soccerbot
Click here for Full Home/Away Table

sullanefc
29/07/2005, 10:22 AM
Ekranas were knocked out of the UEFA Cup by Cork City FC last night.

Kaunas are the team trailing to Liverpool in that tie.

:o My bad :o

All these Lithuanian names confuse me :o :rolleyes:

Slash/ED
29/07/2005, 11:23 AM
Great draw. If we get there, this is the chance to make the group stages. The Steaua match will probably be harder.

ThatGuy
29/07/2005, 11:24 AM
I can't see Shels getting past Steau, but I think that if they do they will have a great chance of reaching the Holy Grail.

elroy
29/07/2005, 11:33 AM
Not sure what to make of this, united wanted shels???

Think if shels can get by Steaua they have a great chance.....was it bohs who played rosenborg a few years ago, got hammered away from home.

But United secretary Ken Ramsden said: “It could be either club. We don’t take anything for granted but it’s a real step into the unknown – there’s so much uncertainty.

“Debrecen have told us if they got a big team they would move the game to Budapest. It would be a big stage and a big pitch – but we will play where we are sent. We really wanted Shelbourne but that was unlikely.”

Ramsden admitted the Old Trafford club – who were also drawn to play at home first – are desperate to emulate their Champions League triumph of 1999.

He said: “For a club of our standing and history to win the competition twice is not what we perceive as acceptable. But Sir Alex Ferguson has an excellent squad.”

United have never played Debrecen before but will remember one of their worst European performances came against Hungarian opposition, a 1-0 defeat at Zalaegerszeg at the same stage in 2002. They won the return leg at Old Trafford 5-0.

swinfordfc
29/07/2005, 11:38 AM
Great draw but yes the steau game will be tough, it shels could win that one i think they could beat rosenburg

Éanna
29/07/2005, 11:40 AM
Steaua and Rosenborg are good teams, but for an eL side to draw them is probaly about as good as it's likely to get.

rerun
29/07/2005, 12:15 PM
Was in Norway in June and got to the Tromso IL and FK Lyn, finished nil all and I would say that they looked a little weaker than any eL team I've seen this season. The same day Brann Bergen thumped Rosenborg 4 - 1. If these results are anything to go by, and Rosenborg only beat Tromso IL 2 - 1 at the start of July, then I'd guess that maybe Rosenborgs star is on the wane. It might be a good time to get them, provided Shels can overcome Steaua.

Incidentally, for a country with a population only slightly larger than our own plus a major interest in the English Premiership, it was interesting to see the how popular their own league was and the facilities they have, puts us to shame :( .

fosterdollar
29/07/2005, 12:20 PM
Incidentally, for a country with a population only slightly larger than our own plus a major interest in the English Premiership, it was interesting to see the how popular their own league was and the facilities they have, puts us to shame :( .
But over here nl football comes after GAA, rugby and others in terms of general interest, sponsorship, funding, etc.

thejollyrodger
29/07/2005, 1:09 PM
sounds like Rosenburg are on the ropes :D :D The second leg for Shels is going to be a massive game. Its the best chance ever of making the Champions League !!! :ball: :ball: :ball:

sullanefc
29/07/2005, 1:17 PM
sounds like Rosenburg are on the ropes :D :D The second leg for Shels is going to be a massive game. Its the best chance ever of making the Champions League !!! :ball: :ball: :ball:

I have to agree with you. It is Shels best chance of reaching the group stages. Deportivo were too good last year, but going on what people are saying about Rosenberg, then Shels have an excellent chance. Of course they have to beat Steau first, which is going to be really tough, but they held them to 0-0 at home, and with a bit of luck COULD nick it away from home. Remember - a score draw is good enough for Shels.

sullanefc
29/07/2005, 1:42 PM
Just heard a phone interview with Finbarr Flood of Shelbourne on Sky Sports News.

Summed up: (paraphrased)

"I honestly believe that Deportivo were there for the taking last year as we felt they were in dissarray last season, as was proved by their performance in the group stages."

"We've invested a lot to get into the Champions League group stages. We've got a full time squad now and we want to progress."

"Rosenberg is a good draw for us as they are not doing as well lately. We're happy with the draw."

Gareth
29/07/2005, 2:43 PM
As a Shels fan, and I imagine it goes for most Eircom League fans, I am just praying we manage to get past Steaua on Wednesday. We will need a momentous performance. I feel we can get a result, but I also feel we could be thumped. Its that close to drastic polar opposites. If we can get an early goal or we can hold them for a while, they will hopefully get more panicked. The best we could hope for is 0-0 after 89 minutes and for us to do a Hibernians and score in the last minute. It would be the sweetest european result we ever could get. Better than split :) I am so nervous/excited. I will be all alone in a Paris pub watching it. (well my gf will be there).

sullanefc
29/07/2005, 3:32 PM
Yeah I would have to agree with you. If they score early it could all go wrong and be a very long night for Shels fans. The longer you keep them scoreless the better. Shels need to score though. Cos the longer the game goes at 0-0 Shels are going to drop deeper and deeper. Where as if Shels score they effectively have a 2 goal cushion.

Most people think that playing away from home first is an advantage. But I think the opposite is true. A 0-0 away scoreline in the first leg is not always a good thing cos the opposition only have to score once in the second leg and you have to get 2. Hopefully City will switch our tie with Djurgardens.

Slash/ED
29/07/2005, 3:33 PM
If they score early it might be alright. In fact being 1-0 down late on could work in our favour, they may naturally get nervous as the game goes on and start to sit back more and more which they wouldn't do at 0-0, remember, 1-1 will do us. Obviously if we're 2-0 down it's very very difficult.

sullanefc
29/07/2005, 3:36 PM
Well 2 early goals for Steaua would be a disaster as you could see it turning into a rout if Shels heads drop.

RacoonQueen
29/07/2005, 4:24 PM
Great draw for Shels...I can see them getting by them should they get past their current hurdle...was quite shocked at how easy it looked actually :eek:

sligoman
29/07/2005, 5:14 PM
If Shels can beat Steau(Cant see it though :( ), then I think they can and will beat Rosenborg ;)

A face
29/07/2005, 6:54 PM
One thing for sure is that any Shels fans who are still sitting on the fence and thinking of going ....... best book that flight and get out there and support them, this game should be the be all and end all for a while, even for the cash reward that the club will get for it.

higgins
29/07/2005, 8:10 PM
We are as good as in the group stages after that draw :)
12 million here we come !!!!...

Draw could not be better !.. There was no easier seed after seltic of course

Slash/ED
29/07/2005, 9:05 PM
One thing for sure is that any Shels fans who are still sitting on the fence and thinking of going ....... best book that flight and get out there and support them, this game should be the be all and end all for a while, even for the cash reward that the club will get for it.

Agreed, wish I could feckin afford it, I'd give my right arm to be out there :( The Tolka bar will have to do, but this is potentially the biggest night of this clubs 100+ year existence, win and we have a 3rd round draw that is very winnable and a real realistic shot at the group stages of the champions league. Christ, some Rosengorg fan on Shelsweb says if we qualify we'd be favourites! Favourites in the third round qualifyers!

This draw should be motivation enough to go out and give Steaua hell on wednesday, if we win this game, or a score draw for that matter, it could be incredible for us.

TonyD
29/07/2005, 11:18 PM
We are as good as in the group stages after that draw :)
12 million here we come !!!!...

Draw could not be better !.. There was no easier seed after seltic of course

Jésus Higgins, if you're being serious I can only admire your optimism, if not your sense of reality. The way I see it Shels are massive underdogs next Wednesday, and even if by some extraordinary twist of fate they manage to get through (A 1-1 draw say, which I still think is highly unlikely) I wouldn't take Rosenborg quite so lightly. they know their way around this competition pretty well. Anyway, speaking as a completely biased observer, I don't fancy the thought of Ollie getting his sweaty little mits on 10-12 Million to play around with. Yes, I know all the arguments, it would bring massive attention on the league etc, etc. My head knows it would probably be a good thing, my heart sinks at the thought of it. The rest of the league might as well give up. (This probably makes me small minded and petty, but I'll live with it :p )

Dyl10
29/07/2005, 11:20 PM
He is taken the **** :D

thejollyrodger
30/07/2005, 8:18 AM
i think a lot of people are getting over confident. I think we have a very good chance of getting a scoring draw on wednesday and if we do, we have a good chance of beating Rosenborg over the two legs if their current form continues. But its a BIG IF. We could get hammered next wednesday (we wont though) and it might all end in tears.

Still getting to the group stages of the CL would really give the EL a massive shot in the arm and most punters would start to take it serious. Shels new stadium would be sorted, we would probably find a new sponsor and more than likely be able to make the group stages of the UEFA Cup next year with all that extra cash.

Gerrit
30/07/2005, 8:50 AM
This draw is drama for me. I am a Rosenborg fan since 11 years, they are my favourite foreign club by far. I have even been member of the fanclub and am still affiliated with the internet fangroup. I follow RBK almost as long as I have been following football.

Everyone who knows me a bit, knows that I am a Rosenborg fan. When Shels won the title last year, someone asked me what I'd think of a Shels vs Rosenborg confrontation. I answered that I'd rip my football heart in two and that I hope they'd never play each other again. And then this happens, this is Murphy's Law to its very worst... :(

Who do I chose now ? I guess I just refuse to make the choice. I can see it from two edges: if Shels proceeds vs Steaua, I am sure one of my favourite clubs reaches the group stages of the CL.
But it'd also be sure one of my favourites doesn't reach the CL...

Now I am a notorious CL-hater since the non-champions are allowed in, but it doesn't change the fact that two of the teams I follow would battle each other. Which I was hoping would never happen. There's only 3 clubs I have been following long-term: Ostend (BE), Shels (IE ; not longterm but very fanatically since here), and Rosenborg (NO).
I am simply gutted this is happening...

Slash/ED
30/07/2005, 4:33 PM
We're still underdogs to get there Gerrit. I thought you'd be pretty pleased really, both teams could have gotten much tougher draws against sides they had no chance against. Rosenborg would have struggled to qualify against alot of opposition they could have gotten and Shels could have gotten Inter :eek:

IF the match happens, it at least means one of us is in the group stages when it very well could have been none espically given Rosenborgs form this season. It also means you can cheer for the losers in the UEFA cup.

Getting there will be very very difficult though.

Poor Student
30/07/2005, 7:13 PM
Given Rosenborg's current state I'd assume this could actually be an easier game for Shelbourne than Steaua. Seeing this draw I am desperate for Shelbourne to pull off something in Bucharest. They'd at least have a decent chance of pulling off qualification. From a commercial point of view I don't think this one could see Shelbourne needing to borrow the use of Landsdowne.

thejollyrodger
30/07/2005, 7:22 PM
no defintely not. the game should be in tolka where we can get a result. lansodwne would suit Rosenborgs more than us.

Gerrit
30/07/2005, 7:26 PM
We're still underdogs to get there Gerrit. I thought you'd be pretty pleased really, both teams could have gotten much tougher draws against sides they had no chance against. Rosenborg would have struggled to qualify against alot of opposition they could have gotten and Shels could have gotten Inter :eek:

IF the match happens, it at least means one of us is in the group stages when it very well could have been none

Guess you're right there. But still, it's like a dad seeing his two kids playing against each other where he rather sees them avoiding each other, winning both against other teams.

I can already forget about my dream of seeing them both in the CL :(

But have a very realistic chance one of them will reach the group stages :) If Shels beat Bucharest, I'll have a team to support in the CL no matter who wins the third round tie.

Poor Student
30/07/2005, 7:27 PM
no defintely not. the game should be in tolka where we can get a result. lansodwne would suit Rosenborgs more than us.

Shelbourne just narrowed the dimensions when they played Deportivo at Landsdowne. Footballing matters don't come into the equation and you know it. If Ollie feels he can get an extra profit by going to Landsdowne he'll take it.

Gerrit you could have none of your sides there. If Shels are dumped by Steaua they could easily take Rosenborg in their current form. :D

Slash/ED
30/07/2005, 7:29 PM
I doubt he will, if Fenlon says that the move could be the difference between qualifying or not he wont. Plus they wont draw the crowd of Deportivo.

thejollyrodger
30/07/2005, 7:42 PM
yeah, i dont think too many people know the players who play for rosenborg. there wouldnt be the same crowd. however if we make it to the group stages then ollie has lots of lansdowne road games to cash in on.

Some players dont respond well to the big stadiums and tolka is what we are all used to. i think this season fenlon said he wanted to be more adventurous. last year was about getting past spliit and cashing in. we were knackered anyway and it is what probably stopped us.

Steaua still awaits. It could all end in tears wednesday night :o

Gerrit
30/07/2005, 8:57 PM
yeah, i dont think too many people know the players who play for rosenborg.

I do :) I'd go even if Brattbakk was there alone... He was not good at Cel-tic because he's the sort of guy who feels homesick as soon as he crosses the border. Once he was back with Rosenborg in his home country, he scored again with ease.

Brattbakk-Rushfeldt, still my favourite frontline ever... Their goals in the 2-0 victory over Real Madrid in a Lerkendal stadium covered with snow, out in the freezing cold, is still one of my best football memories ever.

Oh, this is sh!te really... Why can't they both proceed ? :( I feel my heart breaking already...

Poor Student
30/07/2005, 9:19 PM
I do :) I'd go even if Brattbakk was there alone... He was not good at Cel-tic because he's the sort of guy who feels homesick as soon as he crosses the border. Once he was back with Rosenborg in his home country, he scored again with ease.

Harald wasn't a failure at Celtic. He scored the goal that sealed a title victory in 1998. He also scored 5 goals in one game against Kilmarnock. He was a bit lightweight but had tremendous pace. He's not considered a flop there but he is not considered a great either. He did come back to show Celtic what he could do with a double in Trondheim against them in the CL. He's a player with a prolific rate in Norway and great CL pedigree and a very nice guy. It's a pity it did not work out for him but I am glad he settled back in at home.

higgins
31/07/2005, 2:27 PM
Look the game will go to Lansdowne and it will SELL OUT. Good teams only play a part in a sell out. HYPE is a major factor and Shels playing in the 3rd round of the Champions League is BIG news!! Papers will be plastered with it as to get that far we would have had to have beaten Steaua??

Tolka is not good enough fo rhte 3rd round anyway.

As for the game.
Portadown lost 2-1 at home and only 1-0 away to Viking who are currently 3rd in the league. Rosenborg are 9th I think!! The league is not too strong and nothing could be better when your an unseed in the 3rd round of the Champions League.

If Shels beat Steaua then its group stages Im sure of it. The game on Wednesday will be twice as hard as either of the Rosenborg ones.

thejollyrodger
31/07/2005, 2:45 PM
i agree , if shels beat steaua then we have a great chance. but steaua are very strong. i dont know if we can do it anymore. none of the papers irish or english give shels a glimmer of hope. most predict a collapse :(

jorge
31/07/2005, 4:43 PM
Is that noy what you'd want? :confused:

Slash/ED
31/07/2005, 4:50 PM
Look the game will go to Lansdowne and it will SELL OUT.

Even if we can draw 50,000 to the match we should keep it in Tolka. I agreed with the decision to move the Depor game, this would be different.

none of the papers irish or english give shels a glimmer of hope. most predict a collapse

That's what they say every time we face European opposition they've heard of. Sure Split were going to whipe the floor with us. The day you listen to those gobsh*tes is the day you need to worry.

Poor Student
31/07/2005, 8:09 PM
I don't know is it the success of Cork and Shels or what but this Sunday there's been an increase on eL coverage in the print media. For the first time in my memory the Ireland on Sunday actually wrote something about the eL and even gave a 2 page spread. Same with the Mirror who never do the same. Sunday World only had their usual paltry squeezed into the side column and the Star on Sunday had it's usual 2 page spread.

mypost
01/08/2005, 5:28 AM
Look the game will go to Lansdowne and it will SELL OUT. Good teams only play a part in a sell out. HYPE is a major factor and Shels playing in the 3rd round of the Champions League is BIG news!!

No it won't sell out at Lansdowne. Who fancies going to Bucharest, bar Gerrit? Who wants to see Rosenborg play here, bar Gerrit? Have yous not learned from last year's experience when only 7,000 went to Lansdowne to watch Lille? Only playing the glamour clubs, will sell out at Lansdowne. Rosenborg are not one of them.

If Shels beat Steaua then its group stages Im sure of it. The game on Wednesday will be twice as hard as either of the Rosenborg ones.

Rosenborg are having a blip, but they're entering the competition at QR3 for a reason, because they're better than Steaua. Shels would give them a game, but Rosenborg play Summer football too, so Shels wouldn't have the advantage they normally enjoy in Europe, and would lose over two legs.

thejollyrodger
01/08/2005, 7:57 AM
i think our home games should be played in tolka unless we are playing a top team like Reál Madrid, AC Milan, Juventus or someone like that. To be honest, not too many people will come out to see the likes of Lille or Rosenborg (no offense to those clubs).

Shels might as well take full use of the home advantage and a packed house in Tolka. We have a better chance of getting a result also.

I think Shels have improved a lot since they last met against Rosenborg and Rosenborg are in bits at the moment. The game would be very close IMO.

higgins
01/08/2005, 1:30 PM
Do you not remember the mess that was Lille??? Shels/Ollie made a balls of it when changing the game to Lansdowne. The kick off time was not even set until last minute and then we had the worst weatehr the day of the game!! Add to that the most important fact, it was the UEFA Cup, not champions League.

The media build up to the Deportivo game added to the attendance and if we could have had more then 24,000 there then they would have sold too. 3rd Round Champions League is BIG business no matter who you play. Papers will be full of 10million and made for life and dream come true and the usual crap they print. It all adds to the numbers going. UEFA Cup was hardly mentioned.

Shels will sell out 24,000 for the Rosenborg game if we get there. Tolka I am sure wont be able to hold that game so no use talking about it.

As for your point of Rosenborg V Steaua being better. Seeding is done over 5 years, Rosenborg are going backwards and Steaua are going forward. In fact Steau dont even have 5 seasons worth of seeding to theri name. They have had a bit of a turnaround in recent seasons and last year they showed how good they are. On the other hand Rosenborg went from winning the league by 14 points to winning it last season by 1 goal!! Now this year they are 9th and about 15 points off th pac eor something.

Steaua will be favourites if they make the 3rd round.