Friday 19th

Athlone v Treaty 19:45
Cobh v Cork 19:45
Galway v Bray 19:45

Saturday 20th

Longford v Wexford 19:30

sbgawa
16/08/2022, 8:45 AM
A win for Rovers on Sunday and we go 7 clear with a game in hand on Dundalk and a minimum of 8 clear of Derry if they go and win in Dundalk.
That should be the cushion we need with two games a week to contend with.
A win for Dundalk and its down to one point gap with a game in hand.........id take a draw now tbh.

Big match for Shels and Bohs. Shels with a win go 2 points clear of bohs with a game in hand and probably finish off Bohs challenge for Europe bar the cup.
Bohs need a win to stay in the hunt and generally while they have been inconsistent this year they have consistently won when they needed to off the back of a loss.

Cork picking up 1 point from 6 over the weekend was a major disappointment for them as they had a chance to stamp their authority on the league.
Anything less than a win in cobh and we are in official wobble territory with Galway and Waterford (just about) ready to pounce

ger121
16/08/2022, 11:16 PM
Last time we played in Tolka, we had similar results in the lead up to that game. Hoping for a similar result in this game. Not a 4-1obviously but 3 points. We are fast running out of chances to stay in the race for 4th. No idea which Bohs turns up. Never do…

Some good games this weekend. I fancy one of UCD or Drogs to take something from those 2 games. Sligo should have enough against a Harps side who look dead and buried. As for Sunday, like I said about the Derry game, Rovers have more than enough in them to get a point after a tough game away in Europe. Think they are just to savvy now to open the door for either of Dundalk or Derry.

TonyD
17/08/2022, 5:48 PM
Would be great to see Derry and Dundalk drop points. Ideally two defeats. And of course a Pats win, which we can never take for granted v UCD.

Nesta99
17/08/2022, 7:37 PM
There are no shortage of levellers for Sundays game. Rovers with the schedule and injuries that could be picked up or not recovered from, Finn well rested though. Dundalk with Garts and Mountney still out, Kelly and Doyle both hamstrings (though Doyle's injury looked like a dead leg all day), Hoban a serious doubt coming off in Dalymount, and Boyle suspended. Others not 100% and carrying niggles which isnt unusual with a small squad depleted by long term injuries. We were nursing Benson back but he will have to start now really. Lewis still bedding in and getting match fit but also a starter. O'Kane has been great, tenacious but still light and I doubt he will have had 3 senior appearances on the bounce before. All considered, it's a chance for players like McMillan to step up and show that he is still an effective striker. With Connolly gone it forces a new pairing at centre half. I'm not seeing too many reasons to be positive on getting 3 points, could be lucky to get 1, but if this patched up side goes to Tallaght and gets 3 points it would b a serious marker laid down!

Peaky Blinder
18/08/2022, 7:51 AM
There are no shortage of levellers for Sundays game. Rovers with the schedule and injuries that could be picked up or not recovered from, Finn well rested though. Dundalk with Garts and Mountney still out, Kelly and Doyle both hamstrings (though Doyle's injury looked like a dead leg all day), Hoban a serious doubt coming off in Dalymount, and Boyle suspended. Others not 100% and carrying niggles which isnt unusual with a small squad depleted by long term injuries. We were nursing Benson back but he will have to start now really. Lewis still bedding in and getting match fit but also a starter. O'Kane has been great, tenacious but still light and I doubt he will have had 3 senior appearances on the bounce before. All considered, it's a chance for players like McMillan to step up and show that he is still an effective striker. With Connolly gone it forces a new pairing at centre half. I'm not seeing too many reasons to be positive on getting 3 points, could be lucky to get 1, but if this patched up side goes to Tallaght and gets 3 points it would b a serious marker laid down!

In reality, Dundalk couldn't ask for a better set of circumstances to beat Rovers in Tallaght, with the injuries & fatigue in the squad Rovers look tired already. The second half in Derry last Friday was a clear indicator of a team that is feeling the pace and impact of injuries. I suspect so many away games in hot/humid environments on top of the messed up travelling arrangements is taking a toll on the squad. Pico, Burke & McCann all out for Sunday, Byrne is being pushed back in at a greater pace than the team would like and is unlikely to feature for long in 2 games this close together so soon after returning from injury, and young Power who was brought in to bolster the loss of Danny is injured also. FWIW I still think Bradley is concentrating on europe a bit more than the league games atm as he probably feels with so many games left in the league a loss of points could be made up later so Sunday may prove to be a huge opportunity for a Dundalk side with zero pressure on them.

sbgawa
18/08/2022, 8:23 AM
In reality, Dundalk couldn't ask for a better set of circumstances to beat Rovers in Tallaght, with the injuries & fatigue in the squad Rovers look tired already. The second half in Derry last Friday was a clear indicator of a team that is feeling the pace and impact of injuries. I suspect so many away games in hot/humid environments on top of the messed up travelling arrangements is taking a toll on the squad. Pico, Burke & McCann all out for Sunday, Byrne is being pushed back in at a greater pace than the team would like and is unlikely to feature for long in 2 games this close together so soon after returning from injury, and young Power who was brought in to bolster the loss of Danny is injured also. FWIW I still think Bradley is concentrating on europe a bit more than the league games atm as he probably feels with so many games left in the league a loss of points could be made up later so Sunday may prove to be a huge opportunity for a Dundalk side with zero pressure on them.

Burke, Aidamo, mcCann, Power, Finn and Pico all out of tonights match and Jack on one leg.
I agree with you about Bradser prioritising Europe and its cracked imo. We have the group stage money and we arent going to win it so concentrate on the league..
If he has Gaffney flogging himself tonight and Jack starting Dundalk will be looking forward to Sunday.
Dundalk have injuries themselves but the only one that matters to me is Hooooooban

Calcio Jack
18/08/2022, 11:03 AM
Burke, Aidamo, mcCann, Power, Finn and Pico all out of tonights match and Jack on one leg.
I agree with you about Bradser prioritising Europe and its cracked imo. We have the group stage money and we arent going to win it so concentrate on the league..
If he has Gaffney flogging himself tonight and Jack starting Dundalk will be looking forward to Sunday.
Dundalk have injuries themselves but the only one that matters to me is Hooooooban

Agree Big loss of players for this evening - re Sunday Finn and Aidamo will be available , we’ve singed Cleary who is a decent replacement for Pico and Jack will have most likely another 40 mins to help get him nearer to being match fit - so Burke is main loss with McCann- Duns have their own injury problems - so overall think we’re in a decent place and so no excuse not to perform and hopefully win on Sunday

Nesta99
18/08/2022, 11:53 AM

You have met some Dundalk fans over the years Im sure and while it might be cracked there is always expectation from some. This isnt a zero pressure game, if I had said that myself nobody would have believed me. Dundalk want to win this game, can get a whiff of blood atm barely, but after a win could become pretty ruthless from then on with the boost it would give. Without the susupension of Boyle (it will probably mean Bone and McCourt pairing up in central defence, that can be got at and not just cause its a first game beside each other) and Hoban especially then we are hoping for something very special from others to plug the gaps. It will take 8 or 9 out of 10 performances from kids, injured, unfit, limited knowledge playing in the team, with others holding the fort to get a win. It could be a day for the legend that is McMillan, Benson to show Towell how it is done, Bradley to show some more of his blistering early season performances, Hauge to announce his arrival and Lewis to show why St Pats fans still covet him no matter what they say. Can it happen, of course, is it likely, nope! But no matter what is going on around both team selections this is 1st v 2nd and both know what a win could do so there is no shortage of pressure - if the players werent feeling it i'd question their ambitition and whether they even care about the club thats paying them.

brendy_éire
18/08/2022, 12:05 PM
Would be great to see Derry and Dundalk drop points. Ideally two defeats. And of course a Pats win, which we can never take for granted v UCD.

Certainly a possibility that we'll drop points. Not sure if it's the tight pitch or what, but we have a shocking record away to Drogs. Until we won a game there last year, our previous league win was back in 2013, I think.
Don't think I can justify going to the match myself, considering the view from the away section has been made even worse. Genuinely not sure if I'll ever be back there until they sort things out.

Expect Rovers to see out a draw on Sunday. They don't need to win (and don't really need to draw either, truth be told), and will likely go through the motions to get a result.

First Division-wise, assuming Treaty beat Athlone, Wexford will need to get something of the Longford game. Longford should win, but they're just so inconsistent.

sbgawa
18/08/2022, 1:50 PM
Certainly a possibility that we'll drop points. Not sure if it's the tight pitch or what, but we have a shocking record away to Drogs. Until we won a game there last year, our previous league win was back in 2013, I think.
Don't think I can justify going to the match myself, considering the view from the away section has been made even worse. Genuinely not sure if I'll ever be back there until they sort things out.

Expect Rovers to see out a draw on Sunday. They don't need to win (and don't really need to draw either, truth be told), and will likely go through the motions to get a result.

First Division-wise, assuming Treaty beat Athlone, Wexford will need to get something of the Longford game. Longford should win, but they're just so inconsistent.

I missed the last game up there what have they done to make it worse?

brendy_éire
18/08/2022, 2:54 PM
I missed the last game up there what have they done to make it worse?

There's a higher structure around the electricity box in the away section.
Not sure when it was put in, but it was there last year too.

sbgawa
18/08/2022, 3:06 PM
FFS that was bad enough as it was.

mcgonigle
18/08/2022, 8:52 PM
There's a lot more that can be done to make the away section worse. Shows the lack of ambition from the owners

outspoken
18/08/2022, 9:06 PM
Aye that cage around the electricity box is absolutely woeful

oriel
18/08/2022, 9:36 PM
I think if this was a normal Friday night and Dundalk w/o Boyle (auto suspension) and almost certainly Hoban (injured), you'd be looking at a 1-0, prob 2-0 home win. Also throw in partnership of Sam Bone and Robbie McCourt (Gartland still injured), more concerns, but both did very well on Friday under real pressure from Bohs.

On the positives great first start by Alfie Lewis last friday, and Benson prob fit to start on Sunday, also a brilliant full 90 from young local lad O'Kane, and Martin had a great game, still not sure all of that and a tired and downcast Rovers will be enough to get a win, but a 7pm Sunday KO offers hope, sometimes those games can be a bit unpredictable.

One thing for sure, if Rovers win, that should be that for the league.

Kiki Balboa
19/08/2022, 7:28 PM
At the moment, Pats are 4 points away from Derry, the same distance from Derry to Dundalk. Pats look like the in form team, might just be able to get to 3rd place yet.

Ollie Horgan sent off, but Sligo fans must be pulling their hair out with how inconsistent they are.

Also... What are the expectations for Duff at Shels... Might fall below Drogheda tonight (ableit plenty of games in hand).

DCSIL
19/08/2022, 7:37 PM
Derry one up at half time, the Ak attack.

Ollie Horgan sent off

By not the most popular person in Donegal Rob Hennessy

The Bowler
19/08/2022, 7:42 PM
Normal service resumed. Harps 2-9 up, students behind. Look at the state of the UCD Bench

TonyD
19/08/2022, 7:50 PM
Normal service resumed. Harps 2-9 up, students behind. Look at the state of the UCD Bench

All a bit easy osey for my liking for Pats since the goal. Lots of possession but not much in the way of chances. Lonergan from UCD has done well and gone close with a couple of efforts. It’s a bit too much like Finn Harps away (except we were playing better in that game.) Need a bit more in the second half.

nigel-harps1954
19/08/2022, 7:56 PM
Sligo are very bad. Harps with a handful of yellows, Ollie Horgan deservedly sent off for ironically clapping in the face of the ref, but Rob Hennessy has been beyond atrocious. He's a truly terrible referee.

joey B
19/08/2022, 7:56 PM
Sligo missing Buckley alot,Pijnaker not up to it at all,we’re playing ok though,miles better than last week

D24Saint
19/08/2022, 8:33 PM
Sligo are very bad. Harps with a handful of yellows, Ollie Horgan deservedly sent off for ironically clapping in the face of the ref, but Rob Hennessy has been beyond atrocious. He's a truly terrible referee.

Awful referee

ger121
19/08/2022, 8:34 PM
Dodgy penalty for that equaliser. Have to be winning games like this against 10.

TonyD
19/08/2022, 8:47 PM
Better from Pats in the second half, but wasteful in front of goal again, and a soft goal conceded. However, two points gained on Derry, so. Good night.

Kiki Balboa
19/08/2022, 8:51 PM
The gaps in the league table looks pretty reflective and fair of the season so far.

Three leagues in it, European teams (1st to 4th), midtable (5th to 8th) and the two play off teams.

Shinkicker
19/08/2022, 8:56 PM
Bohs showed nothing other than a great free kick.

Dermobohs
19/08/2022, 8:59 PM
Bohs showed nothing other than a great free kick.
True, but that was not a penalty, bad as Kelly’s positioning was, dive all day. Mr rovers strikes again.

nigel-harps1954
19/08/2022, 9:12 PM
Another horrendous second half in the Rob Hennessy show. Delighted to hang on for the three points, massive for us after the shambles in Belfield last week.

brendy_éire
19/08/2022, 9:25 PM
Controlling the game, not creating enough actual chances, not taking them when do, not testing the keeper, etc.
That could apply to most Derry matches this season.

Frustrating, albeit it entertaining, night, and exactly the result I expected (5 points in the Prediction League, thank you very much).
If I was looking for the positives; we played well, Mickey Duffy looked good and played plenty of minutes, Akintunde had a good game, and both Rovers and Dundalk have lost there recently.

Drogheda were decent too, physical when they needed to be, not picking up too many yellows, looked dangerous at times. Feels like they should be higher up the table than they are, going by tonight. Cracking free from Rooney. Drogs hit the post too, but judging from the angle, it would have been fortunate to go in.

Couple of diving incidents tonight for us, poor form. Not certain about Akintunde's one that he got booked for, but Graydon should surely have been booked for his.
Would love to see the league actually tackle the issue by reviewing footage and handing out suspensions.

In classic #GLIWT stuff, we subbed off McEleney when we meant to sub off Patching.
https://twitter.com/thebiscuitg/status/1560724824883957767?t=bFvnlHEw2QpDrZDuR_pqQA&s=19

Elsewhere, that feels like a big win for Harps tonight.

patrickccfc
19/08/2022, 9:35 PM
Massive night at the top of the First Division. A come from behind win for us in Cobh while Galway lose at home to Bray. That puts us 7 points clear now. I would like to think we can't throw this away but I'm not celebrating just yet going by the previous 2 results, especially the Treaty game. Just want to be out of this god awful division once and for all.

joey B
19/08/2022, 9:41 PM
Going to be a back and forth between ourselves and UCD till the end of the season,the first team that can actually put 2 results together in a row might be enough,just about got over the line tonight but a huge win for us after last week’s debacle….

pineapple stu
19/08/2022, 9:43 PM
Better from Pats in the second half, but wasteful in front of goal again, and a soft goal conceded. However, two points gained on Derry, so. Good night.
Have to say I actually enjoyed that game. One of our better performances (even if we gifted Pat's two goals and I don't know how those two shots off the woodwork stayed out)

Didn't enjoy result from Donegal of course, but Bray beating Galway gives hope for next week

brendy_éire
19/08/2022, 9:51 PM
I would like to think we can't throw this away but I'm not celebrating just yet going by the previous 2 results, especially the Treaty game.

Celebrate, it's over.

Galway had their chances to close the gap, or go ahead even, and haven't taken it. It'll be Cork up next season, and I'd guess the Premier team (Harps?) to win the playoff.

D24Saint
19/08/2022, 9:52 PM
Have to say I actually enjoyed that game. One of our better performances (even if we gifted Pat's two goals and I don't know how those two shots off the woodwork stayed out)

Didn't enjoy result from Donegal of course, but Bray beating Galway gives hope for next week

Was an entertaining enough game , particularly in the second half. I thought in fairness to UCD they gave us a good game. I could pick holes in certain parts of our performance but just relived to get the three points especially with results elsewhere. A week off is needed after the hectic ones in recently.

ger121
19/08/2022, 10:06 PM
Massive night at the top of the First Division. A come from behind win for us in Cobh while Galway lose at home to Bray. That puts us 7 points clear now. I would like to think we can't throw this away but I'm not celebrating just yet going by the previous 2 results, especially the Treaty game. Just want to be out of this god awful division once and for all.

Let me be the first to welcome you back to the Premier😬

patrickccfc
19/08/2022, 10:10 PM
Celebrate, it's over.

Galway had their chances to close the gap, or go ahead even, and haven't taken it. It'll be Cork up next season, and I'd guess the Premier team (Harps?) to win the playoff.

Galways recent results have thankfully went our way, which I'm incredibly grateful for. I do believe that it's almost a certainty, but I would be more relaxed if we get the 3pts in our next game against Longford before our trips to Waterford and Galway.

I haven't forgotten our monumental collapse in 2017 when we were 18pts ahead and fell over the line.

Philosophizer
19/08/2022, 10:13 PM
A few points from Tolka:
Both sides lacking a bit of quality. Bohs looked like a team of strangers and really missing cutting edge in the attacking third without Devoy and Omochere. Their team is almost unrecognisable from the past few years. Burt is their best attacker by a distance yet was on the bench til the 2nd half. What's that all about? Related to the rumour he's going to Rovers next year?
Lots of needle, especially in the first half the lads in wide positions were having a right go at one another. Fair few yellows in the second as well actually.
Bohs completely unable to make the extra man count. Probably related to lots of them being new and not having much relationship with each other on the pitch.
Some v odd ref decisions. Apparently the pen was never a pen. And I'm not sure if the red deserved a red. I actually think the Bohs left back could have deserved red but he only got yellow.
At 11v11 Shels dominated most of the ball but didn't create much. Couple of long range efforts that were expertly saved by the Bohs keeper. He looked v good.
Duffer seems a peculiar chap. At the final whistle he legged it from the dugout across the pitch over to the Shels singing section, ran along the touchline slapping his Shels badge for the crowd then down the tunnel. Bit of an OTT celebration for a 1-1 draw between 2 poorish mid table teams I thought.
Cracking atmosphere from the Shels faithful all game it must be said. Fair play.
Tolka is much improved from the last time I was there. It's still a relic, but they've clearly put a bit of work into it and spruced it up. It was a right dump last time I was there. If they could just paint the roof of the two stands red to match the rest of the ground it would look quite well. I just love the old grounds where you're so close to the pitch.

patrickccfc
19/08/2022, 10:14 PM
Let me be the first to welcome you back to the Premier😬

When we officially get there, I will very much look forward to the more attractive away trips such as Dalymount 😀

El-Pietro
19/08/2022, 10:18 PM
Celebrate, it's over.

I think given Galways form it's very much ours bar a historic collapse but our run in isn't that straight forward.
We play Longford at home next and then Galway and Waterford away back to back. It's not inconceivable that we could take 1 point from the next three games which could open the door a crack for either Galway or Waterford. Then we have Wexford at home and they have given us a tough time every time we've played them.
Not gonna celebrate until we have our hands on the trophy but tonight was a big step, especially coming from behind.
Brilliant that it was Ruairi Keating with the two goals tonight who was very much a Caulfield reject. Hea been a brilliant signing for us this season.

Free hit at the Brandywell next week in the cup, nothing to lose.

Kiki Balboa
19/08/2022, 10:23 PM
That penalty between Bohs and Shels.... Thats an awful call.

nigel-harps1954
19/08/2022, 10:36 PM
What a strike from Barry McNamee tonight.

Jack B
19/08/2022, 10:46 PM
UCD really do shoot on sight and are dangerous at it, we didn't cough up many chances yet they still came close quite a few times.

Was a fun game if a bit iffy from us at times, thought UCD were too comfortable on the ball for large periods and as said we were wasteful on a few occasions. Main thing was just getting the win though, especially with the way other results have gone.

joey B
19/08/2022, 11:05 PM
That is a shocking result for Galway,can’t say I’ve seen Bray but they’re basically laughed at every week by their own fans as much as the opposition,zero shock to see Bastien Hery involved and hooked at half time either ,fellas stealing a living….

sbgawa
20/08/2022, 7:58 AM
With Derry dropping points last night rovers are now 7 clear of then with a game in hand. Massive chance with a win over Dundalk to go 10 clear of them and 7 clear of dundalk with a game in hand. With the fixture congestion ahead of Rovers I think we have to go for the win and try and establish a big cushion. A win tommorow and we should be able to have a couple of stumbles and still do it. Lose and the gap is 1 point (and a game in hand) the classic 6 pointer. The crowd will be interesting, europe such a distraction...any of the dundalk people on here have any idea of the traveling support?

The Bowler
20/08/2022, 9:23 AM
Wheels are proper wobbling now at Galway, when you are losing at home to that Bray team, you have problems. Liking the Students chances next weekend in the FAI Cup, and increasingly confident that Galway will blow their promotion chances in the play offs as usual

Kiki Balboa
20/08/2022, 10:08 AM
With Derry dropping points last night rovers are now 7 clear of then with a game in hand. Massive chance with a win over Dundalk to go 10 clear of them and 7 clear of dundalk with a game in hand. With the fixture congestion ahead of Rovers I think we have to go for the win and try and establish a big cushion. A win tommorow and we should be able to have a couple of stumbles and still do it. Lose and the gap is 1 point (and a game in hand) the classic 6 pointer. The crowd will be interesting, europe such a distraction...any of the dundalk people on here have any idea of the traveling support?

If I remember correctly, Pats were in a similar position this time last year when they played Rovers. A win and it would have meant a title race, but rovers easily overpowered them in the end.

Hopefully O'Donnell learnt some lessons....

Kiki Balboa
20/08/2022, 12:06 PM
Drogheda has the 4th best home record this year, one point behind 3rd place St. Pats. Fantastic stuff - United Park is a very difficult place to play in.

D24Saint
20/08/2022, 12:13 PM
Two vital wins on the trot. We can start looking up towards Derry and not behind at Sligo for the first time is a while. I’d be delighted with fourth with how inconsistent we have been at times this campaign. It’s a long way to go but.

joey B
20/08/2022, 12:22 PM
Two vital wins on the trot. We can start looking up towards Derry and not behind at Sligo for the first time is a while. I’d be delighted with fourth with how inconsistent we have been at times this campaign. It’s a long way to go but.

Don’t think you’ll have much trouble getting 4th,Bohs are hopeless and Sligo looked miles off it last night,Buckley a big loss for them on last night’s evidence….