PDA

View Full Version : Rovers boss settles his differences with defender

Éanna
31/03/2002, 2:13 PM
from eircomleague.net (http://we-know-how-to-register.foot.ie/~footie2/31-3-1.htm)

Sunday, March 31st, 2002
Shamrock Rovers manager Damien Richardson and full-back Gareth Cronin have resolved their differences following a heated dispute during a recent game.

The Rovers boss lambasted his defender during half-time of his side's recent 2-0 loss to Shelbourne, after Cronin had scored an extremely careless own goal to give Shels the lead.

It sparked memories of Bohemians' 6-4 win over Rovers last season, when Mark Rutherford roasted full-back Dave Smith. Richardson criticised Smith publicly and he has not played in the League since - amazing considering how many players would aspire to reach Premier Division level.

But Richardson told Neil O'Riordan of the Irish Sun: "Arguments do not or should not carry on in football - unless there is a strange individual involved. I never hold grudges: you have to learn to forgive and forget.

"I have a lot of time for Gareth. He is an individual of great honesty and I would not hold what happened against us. There is no problem between the pair of us."

The former Cork City player, signed by Richardson in 2000, revealed that he was "happy" at Rovers and that he restored peace with his manager the day after the crucial loss to Shels. "There is no way I want to leave," he said.