PDA

View Full Version : What a game - Dublin City 3 Sligo Rovers 1

Breifne
28/07/2005, 9:40 PM
This game had it all, the 2 best teams in the division, two great sets of supporters, and it was all to play for.

Both teams played some excellent football, City shaded the opening 44 minutes, and went two up through a header from debutant Aiden Lynch and a duff-esque finish from Robbie Collins, where he went round the keeper, and from almost the endline, placed the ball inside the far post, albeit with a nice touch of the near post. Collins had a great chance to finish the game off, but a fine save from the Rovers keeper kept the one-on-one effort out.

Sligo got back into the game scoring a header with virtually the last kick of the first half, when they bundled the ball over the line.

The second half was a tense affair, with Sligo looking for the equaliser, and City more than willing to allow them to play, repelling wave after wave of Sligo attacks, a couple of questionable decisions from the match officials left both sets of supporters, and especially Rovers manager Sean Conner fuming, before makeshift right back Dave McGill's cross found its way into the back of the sligo net with the help of a sligo defender, and some hesitation from the goalkeeper, with ten minutes to go.

Rovers pressed everyone forward in search of the goals they needed, but the Vikings held on to record a great win over the league leaders, and blow the race wide open again.

Rebal Boy
28/07/2005, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=Breifne]two great sets of supporters, and it was all to play for.

How many were at it? 20 Dublin City fans and 50 Sligo Rovers fans? :D Thats some support alright. :D :p
For a game like this their should easily be well over a 1000 people.

terry9
28/07/2005, 10:20 PM
rams are going up..

Rebal Boy
28/07/2005, 10:27 PM
rams are going up..

Here here. ;) Hopefully they can beat Kildare on Saturday night. Its a MUST win game for them.

terry9
28/07/2005, 10:30 PM
definitly a must,season over otherwise. :eek:

Ringo
28/07/2005, 11:23 PM
Dublin City ultras rule :D :D :D

terry9
28/07/2005, 11:41 PM
ultras... :rolleyes:

Breifne
29/07/2005, 9:38 AM
How many were at it? 20 Dublin City fans and 50 Sligo Rovers fans? :D Thats some support alright. :D :p

Given that my first every Vikings game was Dublin City V Sligo Rovers in whitehall early in the 2001 season, the crowd last night, on what was easily the worst night of the year so far, was excellent, i'd say close to 7/800, at least four to five times what was at the same game 4 years ago. Its not fantastic, but its getting better all the time.

The back half of the stand (the dry section) was fairly packed. apart from a small section where both teams had flags laided out. the rest was fairly full. anyway is quality not quantity, and we now have some of the quality in what the supporters bring to the atmosphere of a game, and we are starting to build the quantity. Its not gonna happen overnight, but we are getting there.

dublinred
29/07/2005, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=Breifne]two great sets of supporters, and it was all to play for.

500 rovers fans and about 300 Dublin fans , Cork would never have 500 for a thursday night in dubland.

terry9
29/07/2005, 10:24 AM
no way was there 300 dubland fans,they wudnt get that a season!

Breifne
29/07/2005, 10:46 AM
no way was there 300 dubland fans,they wudnt get that a season!

I'd say it was more 400 rovers fans, 300 dublin fans, and about 100 neutrals. A fair few pats fans sitting on the left of the main stand.

dublinred
29/07/2005, 10:51 AM
I'd say it was more 400 rovers fans, 300 dublin fans, and about 100 neutrals. A fair few pats fans sitting on the left of the main stand.

Forgot about Hilda and Mr Bean so 302 dublin fans , no excuses about the result dublin deserved to win but the standard of the officals is a joke I heard it was bad but could not believe just how bad it was.

Cosmo
29/07/2005, 10:57 AM
'I'd say it was more 400 rovers fans, 300 dublin fans, and about 100 neutrals.'

There was no way there were 300 dublin fans there - great crowd from sligo though, well impressed (though 1 or 2 headwreckers that would've been better off heading down to croke park :rolleyes: )

Are dublin now the drogheda rejects team :D

cobhrambler20
29/07/2005, 11:05 AM
In fairness lads when we played dublin earlier in da season there was a good crowd round 400 id say which is a good turn out wouldnt see many more at a rams match.

Ringo
29/07/2005, 11:28 AM
Forgot about Hilda and Mr Bean so 302 dublin fans , no excuses about the result dublin deserved to win but the standard of the officals is a joke I heard it was bad but could not believe just how bad it was.

Ref was playing for Sligo, we got nothing of him :mad: :mad:

nephin
29/07/2005, 1:14 PM

You must be joking??How about yer second goal? Offside. He gave nothing to Sligo.

Ringo
29/07/2005, 1:26 PM
You must be joking??How about yer second goal? Offside. He gave nothing to Sligo.

its the refs fault :rolleyes:

nephin
29/07/2005, 1:41 PM
its the refs fault :rolleyes:

I'm not saying the ref was to blame entirely but a lot of decisions went against us last night. Maybe ye feel the same. We all know the standard of refs in this league is rubbish anyway.
We made two defensive errors and it was costly. We'll see how costly at the end of the season. A win for Cobh in their next game and there's more pressure on both of us.

Ringo
29/07/2005, 1:50 PM
I'm not saying the ref was to blame entirely but a lot of decisions went against us last night. Maybe ye feel the same. We all know the standard of refs in this league is rubbish anyway.
We made two defensive errors and it was costly. We'll see how costly at the end of the season. A win for Cobh in their next game and there's more pressure on both of us.

Ref was a disgrace. As you say we both feel hard done by. Last nights result brings more than Dublin City into the race.

Maynard
29/07/2005, 2:07 PM
Last nights game was fantastic, full of courage, heart and no shortage of skill. It is beneath anyone who was at the game to allow any other clubs fans to try and undermine the great atmosphere that was created by both sets of fans last night, regardless of the numbers. Anyone who goes to Lansdowne Road will vouch that numbers do not a good atmosphere make...

Personally I thought the ref had a solid game, if anything he was let down by the linespersons :rolleyes: As far as Robbie's goal, offside me eye! Did ANY Sligo player complain about the validity of the goal? NOPE. They all let rip at each other, the right-full clearly played him on...and what a finish, redonkulous :D

Up the Dubs!

Ringo
29/07/2005, 2:09 PM
Still don't know how the ball went in the net :D

blueviking1980
29/07/2005, 2:42 PM
The skiddy wet surface spun the ball that little bit more into the path of glory I'd say but a sublime finish all the same.

And no, it wouldn't have hit the post & came back out to the keeper on a dry day. Robbie would have just sore hands after the goal is all... ;)

sligoman
29/07/2005, 3:32 PM
50 Sligo Rovers fans?

Well it's obvious that you were'nt there, or else you cant count :rolleyes:

sligoman
29/07/2005, 3:34 PM

:rolleyes: :confused:

Rovers1
30/07/2005, 12:47 PM
Start of a great new song on thursday night too:

Who the **** are Dublin,
Who the **** are Dublin?
na na na na na na :D

Derek
30/07/2005, 4:46 PM
Who the **** are Dublin,
Who the **** are Dublin?
na na na na na na :D

We are only the team that beat you 3:1 the other night, now you who the **** Dublin are.

case closed

Rovers1
31/07/2005, 3:25 PM
We are only the team that beat you 3:1 the other night, now you who the **** Dublin are.

case closed

Jesus, your good!! :rolleyes:

Rebal Boy
02/08/2005, 9:25 PM
[QUOTE=Rebal Boy]

500 rovers fans and about 300 Dublin fans , Cork would never have 500 for a thursday night in dubland.

No. We would have more then that. ;) We have the best away support by far in the eircom league.