PDA

View Full Version : Carmarthen 5-1 Longford Town

Pages : [1] 2

EnDai
28/07/2005, 8:24 PM
Wow. What happened lads?

An out of season, part time, Welsh cup finalists, and to add to all that, they finished 6th in the league that consideredJimmy Aggrey a god. The easiest draw in Europe that an Irish team will ever get. They had to beg a prison to release a convict to make up the numbers - what happened?

Were you that poor? Thats more embarassing than the sellthick score, my god, my head - it hurts! :(

silentbob
28/07/2005, 8:36 PM
how? why? :eek:

Stevo Da Gull
28/07/2005, 8:48 PM
Horrible. This is disgusting :mad: .

:mad: :(

ger121
28/07/2005, 8:49 PM
That's got to be the biggest and most embarrassing defeat for an Irish side since Pat's were beaten 5-0 twice by Zimbru. Though Dundalk did get walloped by Varteks a few seasons ago but Dundalk were in the 1st division and Varteks are a far better team than Carmathon. Jesus they needed to score 3 in the 2nd half to go through, they got 4!!! With Cork also losing at home not a great night for the co-efficient, at least they went through. If I'm not mistaken 2 Welsh clubs got through tonight, not bad for them.

TheJamaicanP.M.
28/07/2005, 8:52 PM
As a Longford man and an Irishman I can safely say Ive rarely been more embarassed. That ranked up there with St. Pat's 10 nil aggregate hammering in the Qualifying phase of the CL a few years back, or Ireland's away games in Liechtenstein and Macedonia. The Longford Town players are a disgrace. Theyve just lost 5-1 to an amateur team who are in their pre-season and had 150 fans at their home European tie. Longford had 500 fans and they were the away team. I feel sorry for the great fans who went to great expense and will probably come on these boards in the coming days and make excuses for the team.

I hope LTFC never qualify for Europe again. Theyre an embarassment. Leave it to the big clubs. Well done Cork City on making it through. At least they have some sense of professionalism.

TheJamaicanP.M.
28/07/2005, 8:54 PM
That's got to be the biggest and most embarrassing defeat for an Irish side since Pat's were beaten 5-0 twice by Zimbru. Though Dundalk did get walloped by Varteks a few seasons ago but Dundalk were in the 1st division and Varteks are a far better team than Carmathon. Jesus they needed to score 3 in the 2nd half to go through, they got 4!!! With Cork also losing at home not a great night for the co-efficient, at least they went through. If I'm not mistaken 2 Welsh clubs got through tonight, not bad for them.

You got that posted just before me. Zimbru was the team I was thinking of. Bad night for the co-efficient alright. Genuinely thought this would be the year the EL would move into the top ranked 30 European leagues.

higgins
28/07/2005, 8:56 PM
IDIOTS...

Matthews should be sacked.

ger121
28/07/2005, 9:01 PM
As a Longford man and an Irishman I can safely say Ive rarely been more embarassed. That ranked up there with St. Pat's 10 nil aggregate hammering in the Qualifying phase of the CL a few years back, or Ireland's away games in Liechtenstein and Macedonia. The Longford Town players are a disgrace. Theyve just lost 5-1 to an amateur team who are in their pre-season and had 150 fans at their home European tie. Longford had 500 fans and they were the away team. I feel sorry for the great fans who went to great expense and will probably come on these boards in the coming days and make excuses for the team.

I hope LTFC never qualify for Europe again. Theyre an embarassment. Leave it to the big clubs. Well done Cork City on making it through. At least they have some sense of professionalism.

Strong words and that coming from a Longford Town fan. Whatever about last year against Vaduz( a stronger team than people would have presumed)this will give the knockers of the el something to harp on about. They were even making a joke of it on Newstalk, trying to see which result was worse, Longford or ****** :(

silentbob
28/07/2005, 9:01 PM
wow, relax on the matthews should be sacked bit there. talk about a knee jerk reaction

TheJamaicanP.M.
28/07/2005, 9:04 PM
Im well p!ssed off over tonight's result but there's no way Matthews should be sacked. Its the players that should shoulder the blame. Anyhow, I think LTFC have gone as far as they can as a club. One could forgive them for the results against Lovech and Vaduz, they were bigger clubs.

silentbob
28/07/2005, 9:06 PM
Im well p!ssed off over tonight's result but there's no way Matthews should be sacked. Its the players that should shoulder the blame.

100% agreement here.

EnDai
28/07/2005, 9:19 PM
I just want to add, that in all my ranting and complaining, I am genuinely sympathetic towards LTFC fans, especially those that travelled over to Wales. I'm sure you all feel bad enough as it is, but knowing that this year will be like last year with Vaduz, but even worse, is going to get very frustraing for Longford fans. What I'm trying to say is, I apologise in advance for anything I may say (or anyone else I'm sure), have absolutely nothing against the fans of Longford, but I now have a personal vendetta against your team! :cool: ;)

Slash/ED
28/07/2005, 9:19 PM
This is far, far worse than that Pats result. This is a different league with different ambitions to then and they were in season facing out of season Pats with internationals playing for them.

This is a side who finished 6th and runners up in their cup in a league where Jimmy Aggrey was a star. They are part time, if even that, they had 150 fans there ffs! They are out of season and didn't even have the luxury of playing in their own ground.

Don't compare this to the Pats result, it is far worse on so many levels. This is, by an absolutley incredibley distance, the worst result in Europe by any EL side imo because of firstly how bad it was and secondly the level the league is at now compared to when we were regularly hammered.

Pathetic.

silentbob
28/07/2005, 9:23 PM
I can definitely see a few war of words on this thread tomorrow!!

Dave Roberts
28/07/2005, 9:33 PM
Longford came to defend and where hoping for an away goal. Our lot turned up as team and got stuck in from the start, it was mainly one way traffic and your defence fell apart. Remember the first leg and change the shirts around

Slash/ED
28/07/2005, 9:34 PM
Longford came to defend

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

Why am I not a bit suprised?

EnDai
28/07/2005, 9:36 PM
There you have it! They fúcking went out for a 0-0, and surprise surprise, it backfired. Thats unbelievable. Congratulations to Carmarthern! You won't play a worse team in Europe ever again. Is that a record win for a Welsh side in Europe? They're laughing at us on the mountains! :(

Sheridan
28/07/2005, 9:45 PM
He has to go, surely. Whatever about his culpability for this result, no honourable man's pride would permit him to continue drawing a wage after this result.

Drifting along on cloud nine after watching a great game at Richmond Park, when I received a text update from tonight's games. My blood ran cold. :mad:

How often have I said it? Revoke the FAI Cup winner's Uefa Cup spot. At least make them play-off against the third-placed team in the league. I don't care if it's in contravention of current regulations, twist the right arms in Switzerland.

A face
28/07/2005, 9:48 PM
Jebus .... that was a poor move which is being regretted right now.

Definitely has to be a lesson learnt for everyone in the league this week .... attacking/technical/first floor/creative football played is the only thing that will get you a result out of both legs in Europe .... i am almost convinced of it.

A real kick in the teeth for eL .... and i was hope it would be all sorted (as it looks like we have a chance of winning the league this year, the coefficient is really important to us this year)

Battery Rover
28/07/2005, 9:51 PM
The Longford Town players are a disgrace.

So lads whats the story with the players supposedly in dispute over bonuses.
If there is truth in it how could you continue to support these players as that surely would have affected morale.

Partizan
28/07/2005, 9:55 PM
Well done lads, you covered yourselves in glory for the second year running. :D

Slash/ED
28/07/2005, 9:58 PM
How often have I said it? Revoke the FAI Cup winner's Uefa Cup spot. At least make them play-off against the third-placed team in the league. I don't care if it's in contravention of current regulations, twist the right arms in Switzerland.

If it's still around next year put the winners into the inter toto and 3rd place into the UEFA cup imo. The cup winners are always the weakest teams so let them play in the competition that doesn't hurt our co-efficent.

Imagine what results Bohs would have gotten over the two legs.

Poor Student
28/07/2005, 9:58 PM
Btw there's not a chance the FAI will take the European place away from their competition. They will need the competition to have some added prestige when attracting sponsorship and they want value to their cup competition anyway.

To those calling for Matthews to be sacked. He has given Longford Premier Division stability and reached the last 4 consecutive cup finals winning three, plus he still has them in both cups this year including the semi finals of the league cup. It could be 5 finals in a row.

A face
28/07/2005, 9:59 PM
So lads whats the story with the players supposedly in dispute over bonuses.
If there is truth in it how could you continue to support these players as that surely would have affected morale.

They should all go down the road to Athlone now !! :p

Was there something about bonus's though ?? .... didnt hear that !!

Partizan
28/07/2005, 10:01 PM
To those calling for Matthews to be sacked. He has given Longford Premier Division stability and reached the last 4 consecutive cup finals winning three, plus he still has them in both cups this year including the semi finals of the league cup. It could be 5 finals in a row.

God help us :rolleyes:

4tothefloor
28/07/2005, 10:04 PM
Longford are a waste of a European place, and always have been.

A face
28/07/2005, 10:11 PM
Longford are a waste of a European place, and always have been.

They are there cos they won the cup .... any other team than deserved to be there over them should have tried to win the cup, simple as !!

Ceirtlis
28/07/2005, 10:11 PM
It is pie in the sky to suggest that the fai cup should lose its uefa cup place it will never happen and i hate to say it shows the standard is still low when longford can be in the hunt to win it 3 years in a row and then go and shame themselves in europe.

dancinpants
28/07/2005, 10:20 PM
it shows the standard is still low when longford can be in the hunt to win it 3 years in a row and then go and shame themselves in europe.

Jesus they've only got past one round and that was against Waterford Chrystal FFS!!! Actually on second thoughts, wow what a performance that was from Longford against the star studded glassblowers!!!

Slash/ED
28/07/2005, 10:38 PM
it shows the standard is still low when longford can be in the hunt to win it 3 years in a row and then go and shame themselves in europe.

The standard of the cup maybe. Cup competitions are mainly down to luck, I'd be genuinley worried if they got in by qualifying through the league, but they didn't, if they did we could worry about standards.

dancinpants
28/07/2005, 10:49 PM
"Report" from fai.ie:

Carmarthen Town 5 Longford Town 1
(Carmarthen Town won 5-3 on aggregate)

Longford bowed out of Europe in the most embarrassing way possible with this shocking capitulation in Newtown.

Alan Mathews’ Midlanders blew their 2-0 first leg lead in spectacular fashion in Newtown and it’s the Welsh minnows who, almost incredibly, enter the second round draw in Nyon, Switzerland at lunchtime today.

An unbelievable second half in which Carmarthen, forced to play 100 miles from their own unsuitable home ground, scored from a fluke and a dubious penalty to get right back into the tie had Longford on the ropes.

The impressive Danny Thomas then put Carmarthen in front in the tie before a Stephen O’Brien howler gifted substitute Nathan Cotterall an amazing fifth goal to leave Longford utterly dumbfounded.

Carmarthen Town: Pennock; Hardy, Carter, Giles, Lloyd; Aherne-Evans, Kennedy, Jones, Smothers (Cotterall, 59 mins.); Thomas (Walters, 84 mins.), Dodds.

Longford Town: O’Brien; O’Connor, Dillon, Ferguson, Paisley (Cawley, 79 mins.); Kirby, Martin, Fitzgerald (Murphy, 68 mins.), Byrne; Myler (Baker, 68 mins.), Keegan.

The excuses are in bold font.

CharlesThompson
28/07/2005, 11:03 PM
You are a f@cking joke of a club! 5 ****in 1? Embarassments!

Réiteoir
28/07/2005, 11:39 PM
"Report" from fai.ie:

Carmarthen Town 5 Longford Town 1
(Carmarthen Town won 5-3 on aggregate)

Longford bowed out of Europe in the most embarrassing way possible with this shocking capitulation in Newtown.

Alan Mathews’ Midlanders blew their 2-0 first leg lead in spectacular fashion in Newtown and it’s the Welsh minnows who, almost incredibly, enter the second round draw in Nyon, Switzerland at lunchtime today.

An unbelievable second half in which Carmarthen, forced to play 100 miles from their own unsuitable home ground, scored from a fluke and a dubious penalty to get right back into the tie had Longford on the ropes.

The impressive Danny Thomas then put Carmarthen in front in the tie before a Stephen O’Brien howler gifted substitute Nathan Cotterall an amazing fifth goal to leave Longford utterly dumbfounded.

The excuses are in bold font.

Just got back from Newtown - and have to say that I have never witnessed a team fold in the manner Longford did tonight.

The penalty was a very good and very correct decision by the Andorran Referee - who actually had an extremely good game - as a defender, whilst shepherding an attacker away from goal, you DON'T go and stick your arms into his back.

As for O'Brien - you're asking for trouble as a goalkeeper if you decide to try to dribble the ball past an attacker 20 yards outside your own penalty area.

Longford just didn't turn up tonight - simple as that.

Gerrit
29/07/2005, 12:13 AM
No team deserves to swallow all that's said here because of 1 single game. I mean, even Barcelona can lose to Carmarthen in a bad day. No reason IMO to suddenly blame Longford for everything that's wrong with the EL.

Coefficient... Oh well, I'm glad that the romance hasn't got out of football and that a minnow sometimes can stunt in the games you would least suspect it. It'd be a boring game if these things wouldn't happen in football. A coefficient is no reason to blame Longford for everything bad ; I'm sure they feel very bad already because of the result, and I'm sure if you play this game 10 times Longford will win it 8 times or 9. The day the bigger team wins this sort of games 10 times out of 10, is the day we need to worry.

Cork got through, Shels is still in the running. The world didn't stop turning, and sacking a coach for 1 game is completely ridiculous.
And don't go on about Vaduz please... We're talking about a professional club who will play in Swiss top flight very soon, and who would probably easily get the same level as the top of the EL. What happened tonight is bad ; losing against Vaduz is nothing to be ashamed of.

Congrats to Carmarthen as well. 2 Welsh sides gone through ; I can't help feeling glad this is still possible in football that a minnow nation books occasional success in Europe.

dcfcsteve
29/07/2005, 2:47 AM
Just in the door myself from the Carmarthen game.

By God it was dreadful. I really can't believe what happened. I think the entire Longford team must have that psychological disorder that Mr T had that made him afraid of flying - cuz you'd think they really wanted to go out of Europe at this stage.

The team did just about enough in the first half, but then disappeared completely for the 2nd. From the very start of the second half they'd given the run of things to Carmarthen - who scored so early on that a lot of fans hadn't made it out of ther bar yet ! A couple of the Carmarthen goals really shouldn't have happened at this level of football, and that's what cost the tie.

I felt wick for the 500 Longford fans over for the game, who were brilliant and heavily outnumbered/outsang the locals. (Good to meet a few heads from this site as well though).

I hope Longford play like that against us in the League Cup semi..... :D

The one silver lining is that of all the countries for an Irish club to lose to, I'd rather it be a Welsh team than anyone else.

Aaron GUFC
29/07/2005, 3:25 AM
.....Unlucky i didnt think a welsh outfit would of hammered ya like that. Come on Cwmbran, Chris Coleman for the king of England ...like he shat himself in Cwmbran hangin out with Poncho and the likes :D :confused:

mypost
29/07/2005, 4:05 AM
I mean, even Barcelona can lose to Carmarthen in a bad day.

Wtf???? :confused: :confused: Barcelona wouldn't even lower themselves to play them.

And don't go on about Vaduz please

Sorry, but we will go on about it, ...for decades. No NL team should suffer the disgrace, humiliation, and embarrassment of losing to Vaduz.

We're talking about a professional club who will play in Swiss top flight very soon, and who would probably easily get the same level as the top of the EL. What happened tonight is bad ; losing against Vaduz is nothing to be ashamed of.

Vaduz's translation in European football = shi-te. Shels and Cork would run rings around them. Vaduz represent a country with no national league, play in the Swiss lower divisions, and like Carmanthen, get walked all over by everyone else in Europe - bar Longford. :mad:

They let the league down last season, and this year, they've dragged it into the gutter. To barstoolers, Shels and Cork can win all they like in Europe. Longford losing to a Welsh team in Europe, is all they'll remember. How do you sell the league to them after a result like that?

Albert
29/07/2005, 8:07 AM
Look lads I think all we can to is apologise to everyone and all fans of the league for the result last night. We neither did ourselves or the league Justice and yes its a result we will be ashamed of and have to live with for years to come and probably puts an end to LTFC fans looking forward to a European tie if we ever qualified again. Its going to be hard to pick the club up and to get fans in the gate after this and yes there is no one to blame but LTFC. I can understand how you all feel, but I think we all appreciate the comments by Endai and others here because any semblence of support or understanding is more than helpful right now, everyone associated with the club is shattered. I cried myself to sleep last night and I havent cried since I was a child! This was a disaster Lovech and Vaduz we might have done better but anyone who follows football in those countries knows there was no shame in those games, last night was different. Im sick, and as a LTFC fan I have to facethe barstoolers at work and cant even just pass it off as some other clubs problem or let down, we just have to take it on the chin. I hope the players dont let results slide into freefall after this and the core support can remain steady, once again sorry and thanks to any of they guys on here who have shouted for us.

Shelsman
29/07/2005, 8:14 AM
How often have I said it? Revoke the FAI Cup winner's Uefa Cup spot. At least make them play-off against the third-placed team in the league.

Great idea. Makes you wonder if they should do the same for the Setanta Cup although it obviously doesn't matter when compared to the importance of Irish clubs doing well in Europe.

macdermesser
29/07/2005, 8:17 AM
Thought I heard on the radio that the team travelled by boat to the match. Please correct me on that if I'm wrong on that. However, if that is really true .. its not exact the ideal way to travel for a European match, although perhaps finances dictated that decision.

Shelsman
29/07/2005, 8:18 AM
As for O'Brien - you're asking for trouble as a goalkeeper if you decide to try to dribble the ball past an attacker 20 yards outside your own penalty area.

Christ!

Shelsman
29/07/2005, 8:20 AM
I'm sure if you play this game 10 times Longford will win it 8 times or 9.

More like five draws, four 1-0 wins for Longford and one win for Carmarthen.

KK77
29/07/2005, 8:24 AM
Anyone who says Alan Matthews should be sacked is a disgrace ok last night was a poor show but to sack him for that and disregard all the good work he has done for the club in one game is laughable. As for travelling by boat i think theres nothing wrong with that the nearest airport was a fair bit away so it made more sense to go by boat and then drive by coach sure they left on Tuesday plenty of time to prepare for the game.

Shelsman
29/07/2005, 8:25 AM
Im sick, and as a LTFC fan I have to facethe barstoolers at work and cant even just pass it off as some other clubs problem or let down, we just have to take it on the chin.

Poor B@stard... Had to say that I had the opposite feeling this week when I walked back into work in Cork with my head held high after driving up and down to Dublin to see Shels drew 0-0, even if it was a ****e game. My sympathies, as fans you deserve A LOT better. Like Shels last day, you need a player who will put his foot on the ball and keep it when you are under pressure -probably would've made a big difference last night?

an 'rock'
29/07/2005, 8:30 AM
...Was at the game last night and it was dreadful. Truely an embarrasment.

That said, would every B"ST&^D coming on to berate the fans for embarrasing the league sod off back to there own forums!

We know how bad a result it was but muppets coming on to slag off the fans (500 of whom travelled) are just as big an embarrasment to the League!!! :mad:

fosterdollar
29/07/2005, 8:33 AM
God help us :rolleyes:
You're beyond even that. Unfortunately. For you.

ifk101
29/07/2005, 8:41 AM
I think everyone just needs to get behind Longford now. This was a massive blow for one if not the most progressive club in our league. A club that but for a few short years ago was wallowing in the depths of the first divsion. Its not the first and wont be the last time a league of ireland suffers a heavy defeat in europe to poor opposition - but this is football and anything can happen. I hope Longford qualify for Europe again this season as I'm sure everyone at the club will be out to put the record straight and show Europe what a great club Longford Town FC is.

Now get out and plough those fields!!!! And the cows arent going to milk themselves either!

fosterdollar
29/07/2005, 8:41 AM
Are we going to get a match report at all? Or will we just keep jerking those knees?

observer
29/07/2005, 8:49 AM
Many thanks to Poor Student and Gerrit for their sane and reasoned contributions. As to the rest of ye cop yourselves on with your hypocritical posturing on behalf of the good name of the league. Your motives are pure and simple. Kick an opposition club when they are down because you resent the success this small rural club has enjoyed in recent years. :(
Personally I am not a fan of Matthews but this result reflects on the players more so than him and I am pretty sure some of you posting here would swop your existing managers for him if the chance arose. No one is posting that Digger should be shafted because he is a popular character. :ball:
Yes we are all sick here in Longford over this disaster, but hopefully we can lower the flags of some of you lot before this years cup competitions are over. :p
Hopefully the upside of this catastrophe is that the players will burst themselves for the remainder of the season to repay the efforts of their supporters.

Arsene About
29/07/2005, 9:13 AM
"Hopefully the upside of this catastrophe is that the players will burst themselves for the remainder of the season to repay the efforts of their supporters"

Is this really likely to happen in all fairness? last night was a complete disaster. At half time everything seemed to be going in right direction but what a complete collapse. If we had gone out by the odd goal or aggregate then you could say unlucky butto concede 4 goals in the second half alone...when was the last time that happened our normally solid defence?
Im bitterly disappointed not to see us make at least the second round. Most fans had said progress in UEFA cup and a high league finish would be more successful and progreeive than another league cup win. This result is surely the lowest point of the last few years and I just hope the club and players are now strong enough to bounce bak from this setback.