Cork v Athlone 19:45

Saturday 6th August

Longford v Cobh 19:30

joey B
03/08/2022, 3:48 PM
Must win ,probably won’t yada yada!

sbgawa
03/08/2022, 3:53 PM
From a Rovers perspective (is there any other one ??) a Dundalk win over Derry is probably the best result followed by a Draw as Derry have improved over the Window and may not be finished yet.
With Europe as a distraction we need both to be dropping points and play both over the next 3 games ourselves as well as away to Bohs.
Can Harps rise to the occasion now that UCD have gone above them??

Shels v Pats and Sligo v Bohs games are big for European qualification , wins for Shels and Bohs would have all 4 teams within 4 points of each other. No more European hangovers allowed.

Longford really need a win or they risk dropping right back into the pack when they had looked certs for a play off place.

outspoken
03/08/2022, 11:17 PM
Dundalk v Derry the game of the weekend. Connolly a huge loss for Dundalk be interesting to see how they cope without him.

Only a win is acceptable for Longford v Cobh, fans will be out for blood if there's anything less than that. Performances haven't been good enough of late.

Nesta99
03/08/2022, 11:50 PM
Oriel Park is unlikely to sell out on Friday but will be the biggest crowd of the season. Advance prediction is maybe 3700. There is the big game feel about the town - non LoI regulars asking about getting tickets etc. A draw is a win for Rovers so imo a must win for Derry or Dundalk and then of course build on that of the next few key games and take advantage of Rovers European exertions.

I hope that former player returning are not overly abused by the home crowd, I hope is more like the Neale Fenn return to Oriel.

Shinkicker
04/08/2022, 7:02 AM
Oriel Park is unlikely to sell out on Friday but will be the biggest crowd of the season. Advance prediction is maybe 3700. There is the big game feel about the town - non LoI regulars asking about getting tickets etc. A draw is a win for Rovers so imo a must win for Derry or Dundalk and then of course build on that of the next few key games and take advantage of Rovers European exertions.

I hope that former player returning are not overly abused by the home crowd, I hope is more like the Neale Fenn return to Oriel.
Don't see why this one shouldn't be a sell out, unless you know something we don't. As for the game I've seen Derry 4 times this year on LOITV and they didn't impress. Every game was long diagonal balls and not much else. I think Dundalk will win this one.

outspoken
04/08/2022, 7:57 AM

As someone who likes to see Dundalk do well, I can't understand the abuse a lkot of the former players get. Most had no choice given the insulting offers made to them by the yanks and the other bandits running Dundalk into the ground at the time. Maybe some didn't handle it as well as the likes of Massey who pretty much made it clear he had no choice but to go and made sure the fans knew how he felt about them and the club and as a result hye always gets a great ovation from DFC fans but at the end of the day, Dundalk signed Derry's best players for years but the shoe is on the other foot now.

DCSIL
04/08/2022, 9:25 AM
Early flight in the morning :frown-new: Should be a good game in Oriel.

DCWA
04/08/2022, 9:49 AM
Consensus in Derry is a combination of 6 points from 6 in the next two games and Rovers qualifying for group stages in Europe is our last chance of mounting some form of title charge.

Unfortunately the former is unlikely, we have picked up a few results again in the league but our performance level has not recovered to being anywhere near our early season performances.

I’d say the most likely result in Oriel a score draw. Not of great use to either team.

hollocaine
04/08/2022, 10:26 AM
Dundalk v Derry the game of the weekend. Connolly a huge loss for Dundalk be interesting to see how they cope without him.

Only a win is acceptable for Longford v Cobh, fans will be out for blood if there's anything less than that. Performances haven't been good enough of late.

What are people expecting? We're signing lads from the LSL and young lads from the Under-19 league with hardly any senior experience. We're working off a small budget (poor crowds to date, general economic uncertainty), so performances haven't been great as the players aren't great. We are in the table where we should be.

Nesta99
04/08/2022, 10:53 AM
As someone who likes to see Dundalk do well, I can't understand the abuse a lkot of the former players get. Most had no choice given the insulting offers made to them by the yanks and the other bandits running Dundalk into the ground at the time. Maybe some didn't handle it as well as the likes of Massey who pretty much made it clear he had no choice but to go and made sure the fans knew how he felt about them and the club and as a result hye always gets a great ovation from DFC fans but at the end of the day, Dundalk signed Derry's best players for years but the shoe is on the other foot now.

I think some fans think its the done thing, almost like an obligation to abuse former players. Others just need a fraction of an excuse to abuse anyone that ever crosses their paths, like a sport to them. Then there's the attention seekers, cross over with the first group and think pigs heads on the pitch are whats needed and would be 'cool', playing the ultra big boys.

Not LoI but the best example of this bs was at an Ireland game and some fans seemed to feel obligated to boo Shota Arveladze because he played for Rangers. I asked one chap what the pont was and he said 'sure we're just having a laugh'. The real laugh is that player they were booing wasnt Arveladze, and there was a few confused looking faces when he was announced as sub coming on in the second half.

sbgawa
04/08/2022, 11:39 AM
I think some fans think its the done thing, almost like an obligation to abuse former players. Others just need a fraction of an excuse to abuse anyone that ever crosses their paths, like a sport to them. Then there's the attention seekers, cross over with the first group and think pigs heads on the pitch are whats needed and would be 'cool', playing the ultra big boys.

Not LoI but the best example of this bs was at an Ireland game and some fans seemed to feel obligated to boo Shota Arveladze because he played for Rangers. I asked one chap what the pont was and he said 'sure we're just having a laugh'. The real laugh is that player they were booing wasnt Arveladze, and there was a few confused looking faces when he was announced as sub coming on in the second half.

OLE OLE OLE OLE best fans in the world :neutral:

outspoken
04/08/2022, 4:58 PM
What are people expecting? We're signing lads from the LSL and young lads from the Under-19 league with hardly any senior experience. We're working off a small budget (poor crowds to date, general economic uncertainty), so performances haven't been great as the players aren't great. We are in the table where we should be.

I don't disagree with any of that, I'm just highlighting the feeling I'm getting from a lot of supporters I talk to and group chats I would be in. I think that Athlone result in particular was quite damaging. There just doesn't seem to be any great gra around the place at the moment which is disappointing

Martinho II
04/08/2022, 5:58 PM
I don't disagree with any of that, I'm just highlighting the feeling I'm getting from a lot of supporters I talk to and group chats I would be in. I think that Athlone result in particular was quite damaging. There just doesn't seem to be any great gra around the place at the moment which is disappointing

Thats due to certain events that happened in preseason with a certain ex player of ours not getting the recognition he deserved. Im not as interested in it anymore. Dont get me wrong I will still go to home games when I can but when certain committee members give you abuse on Facebook for making a point whats the point anymore?

hollocaine
04/08/2022, 7:42 PM
And we followed the Athlone loss with a flukey win in Waterford so 3 points from 2 games (as would've been expected beforehand). So, Athlone game clearly wasn't that damaging. If we had a bigger budget, then better players, better results and bigger crowds and more of a 'gra'.

As for pre-season events, if it's Doyle's departure you're referring to then it did work out okay for him in the end. He got a move to a PD club which has more of a full-time aspect to it than us. This suits a full-time football man like Doyle. The Town Executive were perfectly right to do what they deemed was best for the club and if that was to change manager, then so be it. Were it not for those 2-3 people on the Executive who keep the 'show on the road' financially, then we'd be going to watch the Town play in the finest ground the CCFL has ever seen. Careful what you wish for

Longfordian
04/08/2022, 8:08 PM
I expect it's Aodh Dervin that Marty is referring to. I don't know the ins and outs of what happened so I don't know if the apparent hard feelings on the club's part are justified or not. But I'm sure he was happy with his move regardless of if he got a bland statement on the website or not.

outspoken
04/08/2022, 10:05 PM
And we followed the Athlone loss with a flukey win in Waterford so 3 points from 2 games (as would've been expected beforehand). So, Athlone game clearly wasn't that damaging. If we had a bigger budget, then better players, better results and bigger crowds and more of a 'gra'.

As for pre-season events, if it's Doyle's departure you're referring to then it did work out okay for him in the end. He got a move to a PD club which has more of a full-time aspect to it than us. This suits a full-time football man like Doyle. The Town Executive were perfectly right to do what they deemed was best for the club and if that was to change manager, then so be it. Were it not for those 2-3 people on the Executive who keep the 'show on the road' financially, then we'd be going to watch the Town play in the finest ground the CCFL has ever seen. Careful what you wish for

I thought we were fairly poor in Waterford but a win is a win. It's these games against the likes of Cobh and Treaty that have cost us this season so let's hope we can go out and deliver a performance on Saturday.

sbgawa
05/08/2022, 1:49 PM
So a nice relaxing night ahead where i can watch Crystal Palace v Arsenal for free on SKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Sports suuuuuuuuuper Friday or pay €7 to watch Dundalk v Derry.
I guess we all know the answer here.
Will be interesting to see how Vintage Dundalk v Current Dundalk works out tonight.
Score draw please

legendz
05/08/2022, 4:57 PM
So a nice relaxing night ahead where i can watch Crystal Palace v Arsenal for free on SKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Sports suuuuuuuuuper Friday or pay €7 to watch Dundalk v Derry.
Will be interesting to see how Vintage Dundalk v Current Dundalk works out tonight.
Score draw pleaseThere are "supporters" of English Premier League clubs who would settle for a pay per view subscription to watch every game of their favourite club. The League of Ireland then more or less has this option available!

TonyD
05/08/2022, 7:29 PM
Score draw please

I actually have the Arsenal /Palace game on. Underwhelming to say the least.

MattB11
05/08/2022, 7:55 PM
Harps might win a game

SeanDrog
05/08/2022, 7:57 PM
Harps might win a game

Looking like it - our back line tonight are like a sieve and our front lads can get into position but not finish - but maybe next half will be different

sbgawa
05/08/2022, 8:25 PM
Harps for Europe

sbgawa
05/08/2022, 8:42 PM
Loving that dundalk equaliser.
Boom

joey B
05/08/2022, 9:16 PM
We won!! Finally turned up,Eric McWoods the main man ,game basically turned on Drogheda missing a sitter and Harps going down the field and getting a penalty,second half was comfortable enough especially after the third….

patrickccfc
05/08/2022, 9:25 PM
6-1 win for us tonight without really having to go into second gear. Bonus of Galway dropping points too.

nigel-harps1954
05/08/2022, 10:04 PM
We're going to win the league.

The Bowler
05/08/2022, 10:08 PM
Been waiting for the usual Harps revival, was actually fairly sure this was the year it wasn't gonna happen, but alas, it's started, so back into relegation dread and fear for the students. Till next week

legendz
05/08/2022, 10:10 PM
https://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/news/fai-statement-shelbourne-v-st-patricks-athletic-sunday-7th-august/id-4381
Shelbourne v St. Pat's postponed. Pat's only arriving back on Sunday morning.

Kiki Balboa
05/08/2022, 11:29 PM
Not long till the final 10 games of the season. The next three games for Rovers will decide if there will be a title race or not.

(a) vs Derry
(h) vs Dundalk
(a) vs Bohs

With European games in between, not inconceivable that they drop points in each one of these games. Although, if they win (or at least keep the gap)... They would be worthy winners of the league.

----

Derry dissapointing tonight too .... A team that starts time wasting as early as they did tells me they are a team with not much belief in itself... Makes you wonder if Higgins is the right man for the job. I think a team with better leadership would have found a way to put some more pressure on Dundalk.

Dundalk gave away a very easy goal (if only we had a center back for that. All Dundalk in the second half though, Bradley being the star.

Something happened in the away after the game. Plenty of guards about.

ger121
05/08/2022, 11:32 PM
Boom

The ideal result for you.

ToberonaTornado
06/08/2022, 2:19 AM
Pat Hoban now on 135 senior goals for Dundalk leaving him just 7 goals behind our record goal scorer,Joey Donnolly(142) If he scores 8 more this season he'll break that record!!

On the match - thought we deserved to win,soaked up a lot of pressure and had plenty of possession but were unable to make it count in final 3rd,early injuries to 2 key players early doors and within 5mins of each other didn't help our cause. Grateful for the draw though.

Didn't see the spot of trouble Derry fans had with AGS so unable to comment.

Good game though.

Nesta99
06/08/2022, 2:50 AM
Boom

Rovers the winners tonight. Feels like a win for Dundalk in the end. Derry are a strange side, spoiling, time wasting, brittle. Considering the quality of players they have...

ToberonaTornado
06/08/2022, 4:58 AM
Rovers the winners tonight. Feels like a win for Dundalk in the end. Derry are a strange side, spoiling, time wasting, brittle. Considering the quality of players they have...

Maher was booked in the 60th minute for time wasting and he wasn't the only Derry player guilty of that offence!!:rolleyes:
Hennessey(the ref) added that time on at 90mins in fairness.That'll knock that stoopid nonsense out of his head in his next game.

Finlay Harp
06/08/2022, 6:19 AM
I don’t understand why Harps can’t play like that every week. When we run at teams and actually play football on the deck we’re not a bad team.

DCWA
06/08/2022, 6:56 AM

Yeah have to agree with this and have to blame Higgins. Dundalk looked there for the taking every time we went at them so to come out second half and try and sit in the rest of the game was disgracefully conservative and last night is one of several times he / we have done that and it has cost us points. It could have cost a lot more too only for a few last minute winners in the first round of games.

The players are there but he does not seem to be learning, if there was an outside chance of a title challenge then there it went last night all because of his tactics against - let’s be honest - pretty poor side.

sbgawa
06/08/2022, 7:43 AM
I'm assuming pats will lose the points against Shels so it's not a bad result for derry and dundalk on that front.

sbgawa
06/08/2022, 7:44 AM
Derry title challenge will stand or fall on next Fridays match against rovers next Friday (assuming rovers do actually make it back on wednesday

total hoofball
06/08/2022, 7:48 AM
I'm assuming pats will lose the points against Shels so it's not a bad result for derry and dundalk on that front.
Unless the FAI finds that Pats failed to prove the cancellation was legitimate there is no chance of Shels being awarded a 3-0 walkover and the points

thebronze14
06/08/2022, 8:29 AM
I don’t understand why Harps can’t play like that every week. When we run at teams and actually play football on the deck we’re not a bad team.

Yep it's really frustrating. We have the players to it! We looked very ropey early on last night but after we got the first the confidence was flowing and we got it down and caused all sorts of bother. Mc Woods has been a brilliant signing

TonyD
06/08/2022, 9:45 AM

Why would we ? Unless the FAI demand that we play and we refuse.Surely even the FAI will agree to postpone this. Having said that, it’s the FAI, so............

LOI101
06/08/2022, 10:16 AM
Unless the FAI finds that Pats failed to prove the cancellation was legitimate there is no chance of Shels being awarded a 3-0 walkover and the points

The Pats statement reads like they couldn’t get a return charter flight rather than a cancellation. Talks about communicating with FAI about their difficulties all week. I don’t see the issue with playing the game at 5pm if they are arriving in the early hours of the morning. It’s not like they’ve been kipping on the airport floor since the final whistle on Thursday night. I’m not one for conspiracy theories normally but if the Sofia tie was over at half time like the Sligo tie I think the game would have gone ahead as planned on Sunday.

I don’t think there should be a walkover but I think we need to hear more about what actually happened. When the league informed Pats that the game was moved to Sunday, why didn’t issues with their travel arrangements emerge then? Instead LOI social media is full of Pats fans saying the flight was pulled last minute during the match. Pats statement contradicts this.

TonyD
06/08/2022, 10:39 AM
The Pats statement reads like they couldn’t get a return charter flight rather than a cancellation. Talks about communicating with FAI about their difficulties all week. I don’t see the issue with playing the game at 5pm if they are arriving in the early hours of the morning.

Really ? You don’t see an issue with arriving on Sunday morning and playing at 5pm ? Seriously ?

This is completely outside Pats control. Everyone knows the difficulties with air travel at the moment. If Pats are punished for this it will be a disgrace. So much for supporting our teams in Europe.

LOI101
06/08/2022, 10:46 AM
Really ? You don’t see an issue with arriving on Sunday morning and playing at 5pm ? Seriously ?

This is completely outside Pats control. Everyone knows the difficulties with air travel at the moment. If Pats are punished for this it will be a disgrace. So much for supporting our teams in Europe.

Airports are full of people traveling for work so yes I don’t see the issue with traveling and playing the same day

2 Year Contract
06/08/2022, 11:07 AM
Shelbourne should be delighted they’re involved in a conversation that relates to European football for the first time in 2 decades

nigel-harps1954
06/08/2022, 11:35 AM
Airports are full of people traveling for work so yes I don’t see the issue with traveling and playing the same day

To be fair, I don't believe all of those people traveling for work are being forced to use charters.

LOI101
06/08/2022, 11:48 AM
To be fair, I don't believe all of those people traveling for work are being forced to use charters.

I don't see what that has to do with my point. If you're in the airport in the early hours of the morning, you'll see plenty of people travelling for work, often going straight to work when they get off the flight at their destination. So why can't a footballer get off a flight, whether its a charter or commercial flight, in the early hours and play a game at 5pm on the same day?

total hoofball
06/08/2022, 12:12 PM
The Pats statement reads like they couldn’t get a return charter flight rather than a cancellation. Talks about communicating with FAI about their difficulties all week. I don’t see the issue with playing the game at 5pm if they are arriving in the early hours of the morning. It’s not like they’ve been kipping on the airport floor since the final whistle on Thursday night. I’m not one for conspiracy theories normally but if the Sofia tie was over at half time like the Sligo tie I think the game would have gone ahead as planned on Sunday.

I don’t think there should be a walkover but I think we need to hear more about what actually happened. When the league informed Pats that the game was moved to Sunday, why didn’t issues with their travel arrangements emerge then? Instead LOI social media is full of Pats fans saying the flight was pulled last minute during the match. Pats statement contradicts this.

Pats' statement is certainly vague on any specifics of why they couldn't travel home which only adds more question marks. Nothing official from Shels yet regarding the cancellation it will be interesting if, last line of the FAI's statement leaves every scenario open

Looking at the UEFA Conference League regulations I.1 Travel Requirements the wording states that a charter flight is required travelling to Europa Conference League matches in the 3rd qualifying round, my interpretation would be that this does not apply to returning home after a Europa Conference League match? I'm not a legal expert or Ollie Byrne and I'm sure all sides are looking at the rule books forensically!

For the 3rd qualifying round and play-off matches, all teams are required to travel by charter flight and/or by private buses. This is applicable to all members of the team delegation travelling to a qualifying round or play-off match, regardless if they are travelling all together or by separate means.

https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulations-of-the-UEFA-Europa-Conference-League-2022/23/I.1-Travel-requirements-Online

Jd2793
06/08/2022, 12:38 PM
I don't see what that has to do with my point. If you're in the airport in the early hours of the morning, you'll see plenty of people travelling for work, often going straight to work when they get off the flight at their destination. So why can't a footballer get off a flight, whether its a charter or commercial flight, in the early hours and play a game at 5pm on the same day?

is this a serious question

sbgawa
06/08/2022, 12:44 PM
when was the last time a team couldnt fulfill a fixture because of screwed up travel arrangements.???
Either Pats didnt bother booking a flight home or they booked with unprofessional people. You cant delegate responsibility. If their arrangements screwed up and it effects Shels than Shels should get the points