PDA

View Full Version : Shelbourne v Steaua

Pages : [1] 2 3

Slash/ED
27/07/2005, 12:46 PM
How do you see this one going?

Seems Shels are reverting back to their European tactic of last season with the team being

Crowe

Hoolahan

Cahill Moore Byrne Byrne

Crawley Rogers Hawkins Heary

Delaney

It's unfortunate Harris is out as he would have been a big player for a game like this but how and however, he's the only real concern for us. I'd much, much rather Ndo played ahead of the now pretty useless Cahill but otherwise the formation works for us in Europe and with Crowe we have a player far more suited to the lone striker role than Fitzpatrick was last season, he is alot better with his back to goal and obviously more of a goal threat himself.

So how will it go? 0-0 or a win is a dream result for us, I've no idea about what level Steaua are at so I've no idea how realistic that is to hope for but if we get either result we're in a great position to progress.

Peadar
27/07/2005, 12:50 PM
You might have bought the league but don't think you're going to take over this forum!
Shels threads go in the Shels forum. (http://foot.ie/forumdisplay.php?f=4)

Slash/ED
27/07/2005, 12:52 PM
I thought it'd be one everyone was interested in, we had about five threads here for the Glentoran game...

Peadar
27/07/2005, 12:53 PM
I thought it'd be one everyone was interested in

I thought you lot were getting too cozy and need a bit of setting straight. ;)

Hibs4Ever
27/07/2005, 1:04 PM
You might have bought the league but don't think you're going to take over this forum!
Shels threads go in the Shels forum. (http://foot.ie/forumdisplay.php?f=4)

Surely this works both ways then?? i.e. CORKS NEW STAND thread in Eircom League forum and not Cork City forum?? :rolleyes:

-Bray-
27/07/2005, 1:10 PM
Good luck lads. Hope you can win tonight :)

Slash/ED
27/07/2005, 1:19 PM
The game has now sold out so if anyone was planning on getting their tickets tonight don't bother.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/07/27/story213644.html

fosterdollar
27/07/2005, 1:23 PM
The game has now sold out so if anyone was planning on getting their tickets tonight don't bother.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/07/27/story213644.html
Congratulations to Shelbourne :ball:

<<cough>> No pressure now <<cough>>

elroy
27/07/2005, 1:52 PM
Great to see it sell out.....come on shels do us proud!

De Town
27/07/2005, 2:01 PM
I think it will be Shels 1-2 Steaua or a 2-2 draw.

Peadar
27/07/2005, 2:09 PM
Surely this works both ways then?? i.e. CORKS NEW STAND thread in Eircom League forum and not Cork City forum?? :rolleyes:

You'll have to ask Buller the Shamrock Rovers fan that, since he posted it. :rolleyes:

BTW Cork City FC only rent Turners Cross from the MFA so the news about the stadium isn't only good for Cork City FC.

higgins
27/07/2005, 2:10 PM
A draw would be fantastic...
the lower the score the better but I cant see they not scoring for 90mins.

Hopefully Crowe or Byrne are in better form then they were against Bray. and of course we always have Rogers if things get that bad :)

You would think with
Moore Weso Crowe Ndo Byrne is your side that a goal would come from somewhere??

Fingers crossed. They are a good side.

If you look at it this way
Coefficient
Shels about 3
Hadjuk about 10
Steaua about 20

Not that it counts for much but they have been doing well in Europe again over the past two or three seasons.

sligoman
27/07/2005, 2:11 PM
I think it will be Shels 1-2 Steaua or a 2-2 draw.

Mine prediction is Shelbourne 0-3 Steau Bucharest:(. Shels might get one if they're lucky :o.

Prove me wrong Shels, Come On!

Hibs4Ever
27/07/2005, 2:12 PM
You'll have to ask Buller the Shamrock Rovers fan that, since he posted it. :rolleyes:

BTW Cork City FC only rent Turners Cross from the MFA so the news about the stadium isn't only good for Cork City FC.

And did you comment which forum it should be in like you did here :rolleyes:

Éanna
27/07/2005, 2:13 PM
Lads, can ye keep the arguments to the PMs or something please. Nobody wants to hear it.
Éanna

pete
27/07/2005, 2:14 PM
Crowe
Hoolahan
Cahill Moore Byrne Byrne
Crawley Rogers Hawkins Heary
Delaney

Is Crowe playing in goals? I know hes good at clearing the line but... ;)

IMO Jason Byrne is woeful in midfield as does not have good enough distribution so wastes lot of ball. Hes not good up front either in 451 as needs to play off target man.

sullanefc
27/07/2005, 2:15 PM
And did you comment which forum it should be in like you did here :rolleyes:

There is no MFA forum. :D

Slash/ED
27/07/2005, 2:25 PM
Is Crowe playing in goals? I know hes good at clearing the line but... ;)

IMO Jason Byrne is woeful in midfield as does not have good enough distribution so wastes lot of ball. Hes not good up front either in 451 as needs to play off target man.

I think you see a different Byrne to me, his distrubution is probably better than his finishing if anything imo, easily the best crosser of a ball we have at the club and probably the best crosser on his weaker foot in the league. I thought he was excellent there espically against Hajduk Split, he retains possession and uses the ball alot better than any other right winger we have bar Ndo, and our manager seems to have a blind spot when it comes to Ndo latley.

He wastes alot less ball than Baker or Ryan.

BohDiddley
27/07/2005, 2:44 PM
He wastes alot less ball than ... Ryan.
Won't be playing your super-signing then? :D

Drumcondra Red
27/07/2005, 3:22 PM
Lads, can ye keep the arguments to the PMs or something please. Nobody wants to hear it.
Éanna

I wouldn't mind hearing it...

Slash/ED
27/07/2005, 3:37 PM
Won't be playing your super-signing then? :D

Not unless we have a massive lead and want to take the píss

hamish
27/07/2005, 4:20 PM
Feeling the collywobbles already and it's hours to kick off. Jeez how do you Shels guys feel right now?? :eek:
The very best of luck guys - hope you stiff 'em.

Are the Corky Boys and Longford Town on any channel tomorrow? Best of luck to them both too. :)

EnDai
27/07/2005, 4:22 PM
I've spent most of the day on my knees beside a toilet in work! :)

De Town
27/07/2005, 4:48 PM
Are the Corky Boys and Longford Town on any channel tomorrow? Best of luck to them both too. :)
Not a chance! :rolleyes:

hamish
27/07/2005, 5:19 PM
Not a chance! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I checked that Welsh channel, Eurosport, Setanta - the whole bloody lot of them - nothing. Wonder would there be anything on BBC Wales??

De Town
27/07/2005, 5:42 PM
Wonder would there be anything on BBC Wales??
Highly Highly Highly doubt it :D

phillyla*ger
27/07/2005, 7:49 PM
anychance of an update?? How is it lookin so far...0-0 is a good enuff result

Bohsman
27/07/2005, 7:57 PM
Yeah its 0-0, but its been mostly Steaua in the second half. Would be a good result. Hawkins booked and suspended for the second leg. Good thing for Shels if his Europen performances for Bohs are anything to go by. Crawley also suspended

Bohsman
27/07/2005, 7:58 PM
It's live on Newstalk online by the way. newstalk106.ie

phillyla*ger
27/07/2005, 7:59 PM
cheers bohsman...

Bohsman
27/07/2005, 8:03 PM
Taking off Crowe and bringing on Harris. Bit of height up front might make a difference. Jason Byrne coming off injured. Bringing on Curtis Fleming to replace him

phillyla*ger
27/07/2005, 8:06 PM
listenin on newstalk......cmon shels....(never thought id say that)

Bohsman
27/07/2005, 8:23 PM
Fair play to Shels, good result. Helps the coefficient. Can't see them doing it in Romania. But you never know, maybe they can sneak a goal

Mayo Red
27/07/2005, 9:29 PM
Fair play, decent result, Steaua looked very dangerous though! Good defensive effort, hopefully Shels can nick it away, very tough task though!

A face
27/07/2005, 10:14 PM
Disappointed as Shels didn't play to their best ability .... i still think that Shels could have taken it, ..... while Steaua were good at times, its not like their chances were raining in. If Shels were more clinical in front of goal then they would have definitely the better chances.

If Stewie Byrne, Houlihan and Ndo are back for the return ... then i'd rate their chances highly. Have to say that the hopeless/aimless hoofin' that went on tonight was a crime against football .... footie on the second floor, was agreeing with them at times .... if Shels kept possession more and didn't needlessly kick it away, then they would have been able to control it more.

There is a load of room to improve, and if they do (with the changes above) then there is no reason why they shouldn't win. Steaua ... for all the talk didn't come near what i was expecting.

Come one Shels !!

Poor Student
27/07/2005, 10:21 PM
Hard to know what to say. Decent result, it gives us more coefficient points and the tie is far from dead. However you leave feeling Shels had the chance to take something. I'm not sure what the point of playing Jason Byrne is. He is effecitvely a 5th midfielder so why not play a midfielder? Also Baker wasn't that good on the wing. He lost out too many times on high balls. I honestly feared the game was going to go bad when that early chance fell to Steaua. Good save by Delaney. I don't think Shels will do it over there but I'd give them a decent chance. They certainly didn't let themselves or the league down today which is a positive. Only a couple of seasons ago we'd never dream of expecting to win the first round. Now we're holding our own in the 2nd round. Good progress.

jorge
27/07/2005, 10:41 PM
Was that the best team Shels could put out?I dint watch the match myself on RTE but i dint see Ndo,Moore and Wes but I saw Ollie Cahill and Jim Crawford :confused:

Anto McC
27/07/2005, 10:50 PM
We've given ourselves every chance because we didn't conced an away goal.Steaua were dirty and the ref was terrible for both sides.

A big thanks to Troy McClure and also my apologies for the few drunken idiots behind us

Poor Student
27/07/2005, 10:51 PM
Stu Byrne got injured and was replaced by Crawford.

Slash/ED
27/07/2005, 10:58 PM
Pathetic subs, they were there for the taking, they wont be so poor next week. But I'd have taken 0-0 before the game. Neither side played to their potential.

hamish
27/07/2005, 11:28 PM
Still great to take in that atmosphere - wasn't that long ago Shels lost at home to a Maltese outfit - standard of EL sides improving all the time - in a strange kinda way, good to see people disappointed at Shels only drawing at home to a strong European club. Maybe that old inferiority complex is going out the door - and good riddance to it.
Hard luck Shels on not winning - still proud of you guys and looking forward to being equally as proud by around 10pm Thursday night after Longford and Cork.
Up the EL all the way. :)

Slash/ED
27/07/2005, 11:30 PM
in a strange kinda way, good to see people disappointed at Shels only drawing at home to a strong European club.

I was thinking that myself. I'm not happy with the players or manager after drawing with two times EC finalists and one times winners who knocked Valencia out of the UEFA cup last year, it says alot about how far we've come.

jorge
27/07/2005, 11:33 PM
Its there for the taking 90 minutes away.

Slash/ED
27/07/2005, 11:35 PM
It was there for the taking tonight.

Still, we're not in the worst position by any means, but I expect we'll face a different team over there and we'll have to play a hell of alot better.

hamish
27/07/2005, 11:51 PM
It was there for the taking tonight.

Still, we're not in the worst position by any means, but I expect we'll face a different team over there and we'll have to play a hell of alot better.

Agree with you Slash/ED - think Shels will play better football away - Paul Doolin was saying something on the same lines on RTE - when you see the Parkhead side getting hammered by a small Slovakian club, I can see, with progress continuing to be made, the EL passing out the SPL in standards in about 10 years at the longest.

Eoin Heary is awesome and I thought Hawkins and Cahill were great too. I hope Kerr gives Heary a run out with Ireland some day - he's much better than Stevie Carr at marking a winger. or not letting his opponent getting away from him. :)

ShelsTim
27/07/2005, 11:57 PM
That was a dissapointing result. We didn't play like we did against Glentoran. Richie Baker didn't play well, should've been taken off, I didn't think Davy Rogers was fantastic either. If we had've pressed more I feel we could've got a goal. Crowe was always the only one in the box, so whenever anyone put in a cross(which were of preety low standard generally) it would have to be inch-perfect to get anything from it. Not only that, but there's about 5 romanians marking the one striker, odds slightly stacked in the favour of the defense there. Poor performance, poor result. I know it shows progress that we're talking like this against quality opposition, but I think it would show alot more progress if we got the results we should be getting. I feel if we played to potential and played more attacking/4-4-2 we would've won 1 or 2 nil.

Over there is gonna be a much different story, they probably weren't playing their most attacking football tonight and will look to win the next game. Will be a challenge for Shels, though I think it's possible.

Slash/ED
27/07/2005, 11:58 PM
I thought Heary was well below his usual standards tonight actually, but even so still nothing got down his side though as ever. It's a travesty he has never been capped.

TheOwl
28/07/2005, 12:02 AM
Agree that as a scoreline on a piece of paper it was a decent result but as I said on Shelsweb....

...I was infuriated by a lot of things tonight and most of them had to do with Fenlon. He managed a very poor game in my opinion.

Main problem was the tactics. I have no problem playing five in midfield but this is absolutely pointless if you decided to bypass the midfield at every opportunity. There were even times when we were attacking when the midfield seemed to be holding back and not supporting Crowe up front.

What was Crowe to do? Even when those balls fell to his feet he was completely isolated. Do we expect him to get past three players and ram the ball into the roof of the net?

Also Jason Byrne as a centre-midfielder? Waste of time, he has never played there in his life so why play him there for the first time ever in a game against the best team we will play all season.

As for the subs - unreal?? Jamie Harris up front on his own? You are having a laugh.

We should have played Byrne and Crowe up front together, even if we lost 2-1 and gave it go I would have been happier tonight. We were gutless tonight and it seemed like we were playing for penalties already.

They were there for the taking and we showed a complete lack of ambition. I’m very annoyed and disappointed. They were no great shakes but they hardly had to sweat for what for them was a very good result.

I don’t blame the players, the back four (excluding an uncharacteristically off colour Owen Heary), and my man-of-the-match Alan Moore, played very well.

Others tried hard too but they were given no help by the way the manger lined out the side.

Don’t get me wrong, Nutsy is a legend for winning two leagues in a row, but tonight I feel he got it all wrong, and I think our chances of progressing are now slim to none.

A face
28/07/2005, 12:09 AM
Where was Ndo tonight ??

Slash/ED
28/07/2005, 12:16 AM
Ndo suffers from a problem in that he has real ability and flair so isn't a real Fenlon type player. No hoolahan either, no word of injuries to either pre match all the reports said Harris weas a doubt and Reynolds was out and that was it.