PDA

View Full Version : YBIG Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Mento
26/07/2005, 5:03 PM
we at youboysingreen are currently working on the content for the next issue (v Italy)

We are looking for fans to send in rants or pictures that they would like published.
So if you have any views or if you have something to get off your chest about Irish football, or a pic, (international, eircom league or junior football) you can send them to contact@youboysingreen.ie as soon as possible.

15,000 issues will be printed up and distributed free around the ground on the day of the game.
Cheers

Mento
26/07/2005, 5:05 PM
we at youboysingreen are currently working on the content for the next issue (v Italy)

We are looking for fans to send in rants or pictures that they would like published.
So if you have any views or if you have something to get off your chest about Irish football, or a pic, (international, eircom league or junior football) you can send them to contact@youboysingreen.ie as soon as possible.

15,000 issues will be printed up and distributed free around the ground on the day of the game.
Cheers

Mento
26/07/2005, 6:35 PM
sure bang something over, a couple of pics from airport.

Peadar
02/08/2005, 8:59 AM
a couple of pics from airport.

You'll have to ask the Oirish Mirror for the pictures of me. ;)

Mento
05/09/2005, 10:17 AM
The second issue of YouBoysInGreen is finished and we will be distributing it around pubs etc over the next couple of days and then around the ground on Wednesday.
In this issue is an interview with Jack Chartlton and load of fans rants and other stuff.
We asked Jack what was his fondest memory while in charge of Ireland. Of course I was waiting to hear something like Houghton's goal v England or the Giants Staium, but no, Jack says: "Waiting to get on a plane in Malta. Somebody came in with a paper and that weekend there was more alcohol drunk in Malta than there had been the whole of the summer (que laughter). One weekend, I enjoyed the Irish fans, I liked the way they went away. They wanted a result but if they didn’t get it they would still have the craic and the signing in the pub."
Of all the great days in the Charlton era this was his fondest moment!!!

Anyone reccomend some good football pubs we can hit over the next couple of days?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Mento
05/09/2005, 10:50 AM
The second issue of YouBoysInGreen is finished and we will be distributing it around pubs etc over the next couple of days and then around the ground on Wednesday.
In this issue is an interview with Jack Chartlton and load of fans rants and other stuff.
We asked Jack what was his fondest memory while in charge of Ireland. Of course I was waiting to hear something like Houghton's goal v England or the Giants Staium, but no, Jack says: "Waiting to get on a plane in Malta. Somebody came in with a paper and that weekend there was more alcohol drunk in Malta than there had been the whole of the summer (que laughter). One weekend, I enjoyed the Irish fans, I liked the way they went away. They wanted a result but if they didn’t get it they would still have the craic and the signing in the pub."
Of all the great days in the Charlton era this was his fondest moment!!!

Anyone reccomend some good football pubs we can hit over the next couple of days?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Mento
11/10/2005, 1:14 PM
Issue 3 of YouBoysInGreen will be available from this evening around pubs in the Dublin area and of course around Lansdowne Road on the day of the match.
In this issue
- Questions and answers session with Jason McAteer which is full of some of Trigger’s amusing stories. Ever heard the one where he shouts 180 at Jimmy White in a packed bar? Well it’s all true.
- Niall Quinn is our Cult Hero
- U21 stuff - Interview with Don Givens
- Rio Ferdinand v EL player - Rio the greedy pig
- Where are they now
- Emergence of Terry Dixon
- 5 Great Corkmen to wear the green
- Extracts from a book written years ago by Irish supporters
- Focus on play offs
- Player top trumps
- Brian 'Customer Kerr'
- Seeds of doubt
- Fans Rants
- Fans letters
Still free, enjoy

pineapple stu
11/10/2005, 1:16 PM
Now that could be interesting if the right questions are asked...

Schumi
11/10/2005, 1:22 PM
Now that could be interesting if the right questions are asked...Some chance!

Mento
11/10/2005, 1:40 PM
Issue 3 of YouBoysInGreen will be available from this evening around pubs in the Dublin area and of course around Lansdowne Road on the day of the match.
In this issue
- Questions and answers session with Jason McAteer which is full of some of Trigger’s amusing stories. Ever heard the one where he shouts 180 at Jimmy White in a packed bar? Well it’s all true.
- Niall Quinn is our Cult Hero
- Rio Ferdinand v EL player - Rio the greedy pig
- Where are they now
- Emergence of Terry Dixon
- 5 Great Corkmen to wear the green
- Extracts from a book written years ago by Irish supporters
- Focus on play offs
- Player top trumps
- Brian 'Customer Kerr'
- Seeds of doubt
- Fans Rants
- Fans letters
Still free, enjoy

Troy.McClure
11/10/2005, 2:19 PM
lads ye're bumping up the wrong fanzine ;) :D

TheJamaicanP.M.
11/10/2005, 5:50 PM
Looking forward to reading about Terry Dixon. Did ye get an interview with the young lad?

Mento
11/10/2005, 6:42 PM
Didn't talk to terry, it was one of the last ones we did so it was very tight on time.
it's more a feature on his backround.
it also takes a look at the fai's technical development plan. this plan was meant to be a pathway for young players coming through from the kennedy Cup (U14).
But like terry, all the scouting resources have gone into players abroad. we are overlooking our home grown talent.
We don't question terry's commitment to Ireland. we just dont want a repeat of an un-named underage capped player stating he was only using ireland as a spring board to get an england call up.

SaucyJack
11/10/2005, 7:33 PM
Didn't talk to terry, it was one of the last ones we did so it was very tight on time.
it's more a feature on his backround.
it also takes a look at the fai's technical development plan. this plan was meant to be a pathway for young players coming through from the kennedy Cup (U14).
But like terry, all the scouting resources have gone into players abroad. we are overlooking our home grown talent.
We don't question terry's commitment to Ireland. we just dont want a repeat of an un-named underage capped player stating he was only using ireland as a spring board to get an england call up.

I read on another board that his dad want's him to play for England and it's rumoured he'll be named in an English youth squad next month to entice him, hope he sticks with us, God knows we need strikers.

Mento
11/10/2005, 7:53 PM
Ye, i think the fai pulled off a bit of a coup getting him to play underage for us, and this is what we look at in the article. why dont they concentrate on the development plan instead of using their resources on people like dixon who could very well turn their back on us later on for England etc.
Hopefully he will stay with Ireland, but if his dad is trying to get him to play for England, well Dads are always a big influence

gspain
12/10/2005, 9:33 AM
Ye, i think the fai pulled off a bit of a coup getting him to play underage for us, and this is what we look at in the article. why dont they concentrate on the development plan instead of using their resources on people like dixon who could very well turn their back on us later on for England etc.
Hopefully he will stay with Ireland, but if his dad is trying to get him to play for England, well Dads are always a big influence

He has an Irish mammy. They call the shots. :D

Mento
14/10/2005, 1:11 PM
Anyone who got to see it, what are the good and of course the bad points

Peadar
14/10/2005, 2:09 PM
and of course the bad points

The cover had some line like "Read what the real fans have to say." As if we were to be educated by fans who were superior to us. :rolleyes:

Mento
14/10/2005, 6:28 PM
That is just to emphasise that it is written by the fans, but it's a good point and its taken on board

Bald Student
15/10/2005, 1:55 PM
Anyone who got to see it, what are the good and of course the bad points
I thought it was good. There was much more content than the previous issue (there was a bit of padding in that, e.g. a page Gordan Strachan quotes lifted off the internet). This issue had a lot of opinion which is what you want.

One point though, your rants section is beginning to get repetitive. Wee all know there are corporate fans in Lansdown. Get a new rant.

Cosmo
15/10/2005, 2:18 PM
One point though, your rants section is beginning to get repetitive. Wee all know there are corporate fans in Lansdown. Get a new rant.

What about the great irish football fanatics, best fans in the world that dont follow the football league in their own country :eek:

Student Mullet
16/10/2005, 12:11 AM
What about the great irish football fanatics, best fans in the world that dont follow the football league in their own country :eek:You should write an article Cosmo. I'd look forward to it anyway.

captkeen
18/10/2005, 5:57 PM
Is there any chance getting a copy posted to Bristol.Willing to pay postage etc, thanks, steve o farrell

Mento
20/10/2005, 2:47 PM
no problem steve, pm me an address

Drumcondra Red
21/10/2005, 3:15 PM
I lost my copy in Fagans on the Tuesday night :( Didn't even get a chance to read the f'ing thing!!!

Mento
21/10/2005, 4:36 PM
too many jars drum red, your own fault. see bertie stuck into a copy there the same night!

Drumcondra Red
21/10/2005, 6:22 PM
Wouldn't mind but for some strange reason we gave you a free copy of the GR too!!! Shhh best not tell anyone :D

Mento
21/10/2005, 6:55 PM
didn't lose it either:rolleyes:
dont worry i can post you a copy

Mento
29/08/2006, 3:23 PM
The fifth issue of YBIG will be in germany.
They will be in O'Reilly's and Biddy Earley's as well as local bars and it is free of charge again.
Q&A with John Aldridge (who says the designated singing are is a great idea, hopefully this can get media coverage and the FAI might take note)

all the usual rants and some cartoons etc etc.
There is also and 8 page guide to stuttgart with a map of the u bahn on the centre pages.
Enjoy

Mento
29/08/2006, 3:31 PM
Forgot to say that the PDFs of issue 5 are now up on our website - www.youboysingreen.ie

joema
29/08/2006, 4:17 PM
Quality stuff. Wont be in Germany, just got it off the site.
Well done

Bluetonic
30/08/2006, 7:22 AM
Excellent read, very well written.

Well done.

green army
30/08/2006, 8:54 AM
excellent great read. fair play on the mission to stuttgart

Mento
04/09/2006, 3:20 PM
What did people think? any adeas of how we can improve etc are most welcome

Stuttgart88
05/09/2006, 2:29 PM
I think it was great.

Aldo interview in particular.

Well done.

gspain
05/09/2006, 5:40 PM
Yes really liked it. Front cover was the best. :D

pineapple stu
05/09/2006, 7:27 PM
Didn't actually see it... :o

Downloaded it off the internet though, although I didn't read through it. Looked good though! Shame the Genesis Reporter seems to have gotten eaten up by the ravages of time constraints - the two would really compliment each other, I think.

p_o_r
05/09/2006, 10:32 PM
Thought it was just avergage to be honest, thought the 2 page rant against Sven was not really needed. The space could have been better served with more Stuttgart entertainment\places to go\things to do info.
If it could have been made availabe the day of teh Holland game then info on getting to and from Stuttgart for Hahn, Munich etc may have been helpful, the to and from Karslue were not much good seeing as people were actually there.
But then it's easy form me to sit there and critcise, I enjoy reading throught it and I hope ye keep it going.

joema
05/09/2006, 11:10 PM
Thought it was v good but the English rant has no place in an Irish football fanzine IMO

Junior
07/09/2006, 9:32 AM
Thought it was v good but the English rant has no place in an Irish football fanzine IMO

I haven't read it so can't comment on the quality. However, are things that bad now that we can't expect to read (what I am assuming) a good old slagging of our nearest and dearest rivals in a fanzine?? Fanzines the length and breadth of the world probably uses half of its content in slagging off rivals or other teams????

Or is it just that it wasn't very good?

p_o_r
07/09/2006, 10:41 AM
I haven't read it so can't comment on the quality. However, are things that bad now that we can't expect to read (what I am assuming) a good old slagging of our nearest and dearest rivals in a fanzine?? Fanzines the length and breadth of the world probably uses half of its content in slagging off rivals or other teams????

IMO it was just poorly written, seemed more like aimless drunken rambling rather than a humorous lampooning of Sven and members of the English team.

joema
07/09/2006, 12:06 PM

If written i a proper manner - i.e a good old slagging I suppose it has its place but I agree with p_o_r it more resembled drunken rambling and IMO served no real purpose.

If you want to read it go to their website.

Btw the rest of the magazine was very good IMO. Keep it up lads

paul_oshea
07/09/2006, 12:32 PM
I read it back to front front to back x 3 as I had about 8 hours to kill on sunday. It was quite interesting, though I dont want to sound anal, there were quite a few grammar and spelling mistakes.

The general info and read was very good though.

As stutts said, the Aldo article was probably the best. very good work keep it up.

Mento
07/09/2006, 1:12 PM
the english rant was an open letter to the england squadin relation to the world cup

and as was said before, every fanzine in the world takes the **** out of their nearest rivals

ps anyone that hasn't read it can so so on our website - www.youboysingreen.ie

geysir
07/09/2006, 3:30 PM
Ditto with the Aldo article, laughed loud at the answer to who spent longest in the showers.
Sorry didn't see it for sale, only read the downloaded version. Well done.
Though pity about the pics of Dunphy's pasty face- desecration.

Mento
07/09/2006, 4:50 PM
a lot of people have mentioned dunphy's mug alright but here's the problem
- obviously printing these doesn't come cheap.
Because it is free we need to sell some ads which is very hard to do for 4 amateurs. the star give us money for a couple of ads as do a couple of other companies so we don't have a choice
selling the fanzine is another option but it would be very hard IMO (getting sellers etc)
we are currently looking for someone to sell the ads or someone to sponsor it, the latter being the number 1 option cause it someone sponsored it, there would be **** all ads and more reading. inldividual ads make it look too much like a mag which people have stated before.

wkd drinks company is one option we are going to persue cause from research they are not allowed to advertise in any newspaper so it might be perfect for them.
Anyone any other ideas of who could sponsor it??

SUB of the day
07/09/2006, 5:15 PM
Ryanair are well into radical advertising, and the Green Army put thousands of bums on their seats every year...... xclnt zine btw, read with 4 others on Ryanair to Baden Baden, well done.

geysir
07/09/2006, 7:34 PM
As I said it's a pity but realistic enough to appreciate your situation. You could suggest another face for the adv. :)
Do you know how many downloads were done and copies distributed?

Mento
07/09/2006, 8:03 PM
10,000 copies were given out free, 3,000 in dublin pubs and 7,000 in germany. dont know how many downloads - must check that out.

Mento
19/09/2006, 9:26 PM
Anyone who fancies doing a rant/article for the next issue of YBIG please pm me.
Need them in by next Wednesday though!
One idea I have got from this forum is a debate on whether or not we should sing Irish rebel songs. So if someone does a rant for, and one against etc.
So feel free to have your say on whatever issues but time is of the essence. cheers