PDA

View Full Version : Says it all really

Éanna
30/03/2002, 2:40 PM
from ireland.com: (http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/2002/0330/loi2.htm)

Tremor registers a little late

By Mary Hannigan

30/03/02: If yesterday's report in The Irish Times on the National League match between Dundalk and St Patrick's Athletic is anything to go by we would humbly suggest Charles Mbabazi Livingstone and Paul Marney aren't the only players St Patrick's have had registration difficulties with this season. Did, we demand to know, St Pat's ever inform the league that they intended fielding Tremor Creole, Colm Folly or Michael Hot in the course of the current campaign? We, frankly, think not.

Mind you, Dundalk could be in hot water, too. Where are Grey Hillock's and Cries Lawless's registration papers? Precisely - they simply don't exist. And before Longford Town start crowing about other clubs' misdemeanours when, exactly, did they officially inform us they play their football at Flaunter Park? The same Flaunter Park, incidentally, that is the venue for RTÉ's live game tomorrow, where the national broadcaster's team of Gorge Hamilton, Dariuss Maloney and Brian Err will be in attendance.

Confused? Well, so was our computer spell-checker when it ran its evil eye over the Dundalk v St Patrick's match report for yesterday's city edition.

Trevor Croly was transformed into Tremor Creole, Colm Foley became Colm Folly, Michael Holt's temperature rose enough to make him "Hot", Gary Haylock was substituted by a dull knoll (i.e. Grey Hillock) and Chris Lawless wept as he was rechristened "Cries". (That's even before Flancare Park, George Hamilton, Darragh Moloney and Brian Kerr (no mistake, not "Err") were fiddled with).

We were never entirely sure if it was true but a delicious story was passed on to us a few months' back about a Melbourne journalist who wrote about court proceedings against General Pinochet - before filing his report he ran it through his spell-checker and his newspaper, consequently, carried an account littered with references to General "Pinocchio".

We should add that when we put the retired Chilean dictator's name through our spell-checker we came up with "General Pin Your Ears Back". How we chuckled, but not half as much as we did when we read that Tremor Creole, the Caribbean lad who crooned through the advanced stages of an earthquake, was outstanding in the St Pat's back four. But, we ask again, was Tremor registered properly?

dahamsta
30/03/2002, 3:03 PM
Is the doubling-up supposed to be ironic...?

[Éanna, please link to the source when quoting.]

adam

Éanna
30/03/2002, 3:09 PM
sorry, ****ed that post up completely, I thought I had linked it. Still dunno why it was doubled-up:confused: I'll just blame it on this being a german computer. :D Fixed now anyway.