PDA

View Full Version : Re Willie Bruton

radar
26/07/2005, 12:03 AM
Can i start by wishing ye guys the best of luck? Obviously times are hard but hopefully ye can stabilise and at least not go back down. Ye came up with style and have competed superbly so it is awful the way it has gone. I think finance was the reason Dolan was let go from Cork and the people running Waterford United have obviously overspent aswell. Just wondering about Willie Bruton. City have apparently signed him and what do ye guys think about him? Just on another issue do ye feel Alan Reynolds shafted ye or otherwise. He has a very bad reputation in Cork, personally i've no problem with him but it would be interesting to hear what the true Waterford fans think. I have a feeling he shafted Waterford moreso than Cork. Again i hope ye stay up because any club that is not a Dublin club is a great club.

trevy
29/07/2005, 6:57 PM
Cheers radar.Its nice to see a Cork City fan who realises its good for the game to have Waterford United and other non Dublin clubs in the Premier.Hopefully we can stay up this season and regroup for next year.Its been an an awful season on and off the pitch.Bruton is a good player on form,he did very well last season playing with Daryl Murphy and got a good few goals for us.The service to him was poor this season,he was playing upfront with poor players and his head went down so with better service he might do well for Cork City.I think the time was right for Reynolds to go when he did and I don't think theres too many fans who were sad to see him go.Not only were the results poor this season,his poor discipline on and off the pitch was having a bad affect on the team.Rennie seems to have shafted a few clubs in his time!

radar
30/07/2005, 10:53 PM
Thanks for reply Trevy i was beginning to think inter club relations were disallowed! The Willie Bruton stuff is interesting. Richardson seems good at getting players playing well and maybe Bruton can find his form o'er the border. Its his only signing (bar bringing Derek Coughlan back). Given our shortage up front he seems sure to play a part at some stage for us. On Waterford United the upheavel ye have suffered this season is unbelievable. Just dont go down. That must be the priority. Huge mistakes have been made. I know its obvious now. Even the Paul McGrath thing. Wasn't that madness? Are you heading to Turners Cross next Friday? An away game an hour and a half or so away by car, what a novelty! Reiterate my support for Waterford to stay up which i pospone for next Friday if thats okay.

Dyl10
30/07/2005, 11:10 PM
Bruton is not a bad player but I wouldn't rate as much of a good player! He will 1/2 crackers a year and you wont see him for the rest of the time

trevy
04/08/2005, 12:32 PM
I don't think I'll be going down to Cork.I've had enough of bad results for the season without travelling down to Cork to see us probably lose.I haven't seen us win since the 2-0 win over Bohs in mid April :eek: .Also the people I usually go with are on holidays so I think I'll be listening to the updates on the radio instead of being there.

Fair_play_boy
04/08/2005, 3:53 PM
Can i start by wishing ye guys the best of luck? Obviously times are hard but hopefully ye can stabilise and at least not go back down. Ye came up with style and have competed superbly so it is awful the way it has gone. I think finance was the reason Dolan was let go from Cork and the people running Waterford United have obviously overspent aswell. Just wondering about Willie Bruton. City have apparently signed him and what do ye guys think about him? Just on another issue do ye feel Alan Reynolds shafted ye or otherwise. He has a very bad reputation in Cork, personally i've no problem with him but it would be interesting to hear what the true Waterford fans think. I have a feeling he shafted Waterford moreso than Cork. Again i hope ye stay up because any club that is not a Dublin club is a great club.Well Said Radar. Great post.
Regarding your last sentence in particular, any club that is not a Dublin club is a great club . . . I am no anti-Dub, but I agree with you in the sense that it is not good if the league is dominated by too many clubs from any county / region. It makes it expensive for travelling fans not to have a number of derbies every year.

bigmac
06/08/2005, 2:18 PM
Thanks for reply Trevy i was beginning to think inter club relations were disallowed! The Willie Bruton stuff is interesting. Richardson seems good at getting players playing well and maybe Bruton can find his form o'er the border. Its his only signing (bar bringing Derek Coughlan back). Given our shortage up front he seems sure to play a part at some stage for us. On Waterford United the upheavel ye have suffered this season is unbelievable. Just dont go down. That must be the priority. Huge mistakes have been made. I know its obvious now. Even the Paul McGrath thing. Wasn't that madness? Are you heading to Turners Cross next Friday? An away game an hour and a half or so away by car, what a novelty! Reiterate my support for Waterford to stay up which i pospone for next Friday if thats okay.

Thanks a million for the support lads, it's great to get a serious chat with other Munster fans of the EL. Just about the Paul McGrath thing, I think it was along the lines of the Galway appointment of Leeson, it was thought it would be good publicity and would help foster links with some clubs in England. Our former coach Giles Cheevers was invited over to Villa on a few occasions which was a direct result of the Paul McGrath situation. I don't think that the club lost much money on the deal either so even though it didn't work out, it was worth a try.
I don't think Rennie shafted us btw, don't think he had any choice. Over the years he has always wanted to play in Waterford but when a deal that is much better is offered there's not much choice and I really can't blame him. Alan Kirby in Longford is in the same situation, where he would love to play in Waterford but there's no way we can afford him (he works for Longford sponsors, gets house etc...). Rennie reminds me a bit of Robbie Savage, everyone loves him when he plays for the club but every other team hates him. As a manager he didn't get much support this year and when told he could stay as a player with a wage cut but there'd be a new manager I really don't see that he had much choice than to take the crazy money from Shels.

PS Can't believe the result from last night, could really end up costing you at the end of the season.

blue til i die
06/08/2005, 8:22 PM
Thanks a million for the support lads, it's great to get a serious chat with other Munster fans of the EL. Just about the Paul McGrath thing, I think it was along the lines of the Galway appointment of Leeson, it was thought it would be good publicity and would help foster links with some clubs in England. Our former coach Giles Cheevers was invited over to Villa on a few occasions which was a direct result of the Paul McGrath situation. I don't think that the club lost much money on the deal either so even though it didn't work out, it was worth a try.
I don't think Rennie shafted us btw, don't think he had any choice. Over the years he has always wanted to play in Waterford but when a deal that is much better is offered there's not much choice and I really can't blame him. Alan Kirby in Longford is in the same situation, where he would love to play in Waterford but there's no way we can afford him (he works for Longford sponsors, gets house etc...). Rennie reminds me a bit of Robbie Savage, everyone loves him when he plays for the club but every other team hates him. As a manager he didn't get much support this year and when told he could stay as a player with a wage cut but there'd be a new manager I really don't see that he had much choice than to take the crazy money from Shels.

PS Can't believe the result from last night, could really end up costing you at the end of the season.

Hopefully :D

radar
27/08/2005, 1:02 AM
Just like to reiterate my support to Waterford to stay up. Whatever or however. I think there is a tiny sway in public opinion about the Eircom League. I come accross more and more people talking about it. John Delaney seems serious about promoting our league and there is now hope. It could flicker and die like a candles flame but this feels different. Maybe its just because i follow Cork and i'm being niave. The Dublin imbalance is killing our league. We need Waterford to stay up. The tide seems to be turning. There must exist a potential sponsor in Waterford who will step in for their own benefit if there is an upturn.

CollegeTillIDie
27/08/2005, 8:12 AM
Personally speaking Waterford United are my second favourite team and I would prefer it if they stayed in the Premier Division. If however they do go down and that is the price of staying in Eircom League football... so be it.
I take the long term survival of Senior football in the city over short term glory anyday of the week. For the record I have many connections with the city, not least of which is my first coach in soccer was my primary school teacher, a Blues fan.

I am delighted for Cork City and for EL football in general for general reasons of co-efficients. Dublin clubs, Derry City and anyone else who qualifies for European football from the EL over the next 5 years will benefit as a result of Cork's efforts this season if they progress, with slightly more favourable draws.