PDA

View Full Version : TV coverage&promoting the league- know your enemy?

Éanna
30/03/2002, 2:16 PM
Just out of the pub after watching the leeds -v- man utd match (ok, start the abuse :D )- seeing as my access to live football here is very restricted due to work, I'm watchin anything I can. Listening to the Sky commentary, it struck me just how subtle their promotion of the Premiershi* is, besides all the player-cam and flashy intro stuff. At least 7 or 8 times in each half, the commentator remarked "in what other league in the world would you see this", "where else would you see a game like this" etc., Now we all know thats crap, and could each list a number of leagues/countries which would at least rival it, but my point is that if Premiershi* footie is all you watch, then slowly but surely, hearing this over and over, you'll start to believe it.

As for the eircom League, the only time we ever hear "where else would you see that" is when young fellas run on the pitch or someone forgets to sign a form etc.,

They say any publicity is good publicity, but who really believes that the increased -multi-c0ck-up related- media coverage of the eL this season has done our image any good? I for one think that Pats clerical incompetence, shelbourne's malice and Dundalks inability to control any of their 20 or 30 fans when a non-caucasian player appears has done -possibly irreperable- damage to this league. For anyone in Merrion Sq who actually cares may i repeat-POSITIVE PUBLICITY.

pete
01/04/2002, 3:49 PM
I don't watch sky much at all really but anytime i have the commentators will have you believe you are watching the worlds greatest sports.

I noticed it particularily when England trashing Ireland at the rugby & they then the best in the world. Not sure what they said a couple of weeks later when the "best in the world" got destroyed by France.

Éanna
02/04/2002, 12:44 PM
exactly, if RTE could even bother making a half-arsed attempt to hype the eircom league up like that when they cover it, it would really help.