PDA

View Full Version : Rea named as Blues manager

sligoman
25/07/2005, 4:20 PM
Waterford United have unveiled Brendan Rea as new manager at the RSC, the former Blues player taking over from caretaker boss Giles Cheevers, who stood down following Friday night’s eircom League Premier Division defeat at the hands of St Patrick’s Athletic.

Cheevers, who had only been in charge for a month after taking over from the departed Alan Reynolds, is leaving for the United States to take up a new coaching post in Nashville.

Rea, 36, assumes control of the club immediately and will be joined by Ray Moran – the club’s under-21 team boss – as head coach.

The new manager previously played with Waterford and local rivals Kilkenny City, as well as leading Waterford Crystal to the final of the FAI Junior Cup last season.

He is now looking forward to guiding the Blues to Premier Division safety – Waterford have taking just one point from their last seven Premier Division games.

"I am delighted to be offered this position,” said Rea. "It is a big challenge but one I am looking forward to.

“My main objective to keep the club in the Premier Division of the eircom league and having spoken to the players, we are all committed to pulling together to achieve this.

“It is a massive opportunity and with Ray Moran stepping up from the under 21’s, I believe we have a very good team.

"We have a tough fixture list ahead of us in the next few weeks, but at this stage no game is easy and we are looking forward to the games against the top two."

Rea’s first game in charge will be Friday night’s clash with in-form Derry City at the RSC.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=18383