PDA

View Full Version : Us Snapshot

hamish
25/07/2005, 3:16 PM
Just read through this today - gives a SMALL picture of the divide in the US - just thought Foot.ie people might be interested. Any opinions on this??

The "ragheads" .........er........."contribution" is unbelieveable. :(
I also found out that Osama is in Mexico. LOL

http://www.newshounds.us/

Check out the "Monday Un-Funnies" at the top of the page (top as at 4.15pm)

Just click on "continue reading"

hamish
25/07/2005, 4:24 PM
Ah, for fcuks sake, Footiepersons, you won't strain your arms or anything - I'm dying to hear what the likes of dcfc Steve, Dahamsta, D2 Red, Metrostars. strangeirish,Plastic Paddy, Kerrs Tribe etc think. Go on, spoil me. :o

sligoman
25/07/2005, 5:38 PM
D2 Red

You mean Anto McC:rolleyes: :D

hamish
25/07/2005, 5:39 PM
You mean Anto McC:rolleyes: :D

Old habits die hard Sligoman. :D

Check out that posted site - some of the rednecks posts are unbelieveable.

strangeirish
25/07/2005, 5:59 PM
Thats about par for the course over here sirhamish. One extreme to the other. My way or the highway type of sh*te. No substance whatsoever. Needless to say, Americans are not known for their debating skills, along with having their opinions formed for them!

sligoman
25/07/2005, 6:07 PM

That is hilarious,:D. Just look at the amount of spelling mistakes-franse,lol

hamish
25/07/2005, 6:10 PM
Thats about par for the course over here sirhamish. One extreme to the other. My way or the highway type of sh*te. No substance whatsoever. Needless to say, Americans are not known for their debating skills, along with having their opinions formed for them!

Get ya strangeirish - just amazing how so many parrot Faux "News" - y'know -George Soros/Gay bashing/"Franse" (snigger) and of course, the Al Qaeda Mexico connection - I thought that part was hilarious.

To give Newshounds and Media Matters credit, they analize the neocons etc word for word, phrase for phrase, context etc and also when lies are told by examining misrepresentation/quotes etc - the right wingers just parrot, parrot, parrot what they're told from that eejit Limbaugh, plus of course the likes of uber-imbeciles O'Reilly, Hannity etc.

Many of the emails were very similar to the letters read out at the end of the "O'Liley" Factor. :D I guess I'm parroting Newshounds by using terms like "O'Liley" and Sean "Insanity" but at least I know I'm parroting. :D

hamish
25/07/2005, 6:12 PM
That is hilarious,:D. Just look at the amount of spelling mistakes-franse,lol

Yeah, they regularly have segments where they get emails from Jerry Springer Show refugees - the reply to the misspelling of Al Qaeda when the guy said I now know they're in Mexico was priceless.

Metrostars
25/07/2005, 6:47 PM
Old habits die hard Sligoman. :D

Not do take a tough swipe at you but you complain about these people using the term 'ragheads', yet you have no problem in use 'rednecks' which in some parts here is a derogetory term?

Back to that site, yeah some parts of this country is littered with bigots such as these, it's sad. But it's a big country and thankfully I don't have interactions with such characters where I live (in New England). I just hope that people from the rest of the world realize that this is the case, not all Americans think like that.

hamish
25/07/2005, 6:54 PM
So you complain about these people using the term 'ragheads', yet you have no problem in use 'rednecks' which in some parts here is a derogetory term?

Fair point Metrostars, fair point.

From now I'll call them Republicans. :D

I don't recall that I complained btw - just quoted their usage of the word but you're criticism of my "rednecks" usage is valid and I accept it.

BTW - did you read the emails? What did you think of them - and the replies?

Metrostars
25/07/2005, 6:56 PM
Fair point Metrostars, fair point.

From now I'll call them Republicans. :D

I don't recall that I complained btw - just quoted their usage of the word but you're criticism of my "rednecks" usage is valid and I accept it.

BTW - did you read the emails? What did you think of them - and the replies?

Bigots is a more apt description of these cretins.

hamish
25/07/2005, 7:03 PM
Not do take a tough swipe at you but you complain about these people using the term 'ragheads', yet you have no problem in use 'rednecks' which in some parts here is a derogetory term?

Back to that site, yeah some parts of this country is littered with bigots such as these, it's sad. But it's a big country and thankfully I don't have interactions with such characters where I live (in New England). I just hope that people from the rest of the world realize that this is the case, not all Americans think like that.

I did say it was only a snapshot - but I wonder how many think like this? How would you feel though if you lived in the red states where there is holy hell regarding Darwinism and Creationism in school boards - just seen an RTE report on this. I wouldn't fancy sending my kids to a school where that nonsense is going on.

BTW - to be fair and balanced (Al Franken saw it that that term is NOT a Fox "News" copyright) - RTE only included one pro-creationism person and three pro-Darwin plus a schools' board bloke who adopted a "sit on the fence" attitude. Black mark against RTE for that TBF.

hamish
25/07/2005, 7:12 PM
Bigots is a more apt description of these cretins.

I thought BTW that "rednecks" was a term which is a kind of jovial p!sstake - rather like the way we slag Kerrymen over here. I saw a Sky Movies film lately which featured three comedians from the red states on tour and their self deprecating humour was very funny - they also were well able to take the p!ss of non red states people as well. Can't remember the names of the comedians but they were very funny.

Didn't realise that the name was pejorative though - surely not as remotely bad as ragheads - that's against a race or races. I always thought that the redneck term covered everyone who lives in the red states - since that relates more to LIFESTYLE rather than race, it can hardly be as abusive, can it???? :confused:

Confusing myself now. :o

Metrostars
25/07/2005, 7:46 PM
No, it's not a too bad of a term like ragheads. But it depends what context it is used. They like to call themselves rednecks but can be given a negative connotation too. Also, I don't get black American Comedians who used the N* word such as Chris Rock.

hamish
25/07/2005, 8:03 PM
No, it's not a too bad of a term like ragheads. But it depends what context it is used. They like to call themselves rednecks but can be given a negative connotation too. Also, I don't get black American Comedians who used the N* word such as Chris Rock.

Agreed........reminds me of all those "blaxsploitation movies of the 70s - y'know Truck Turner/Shaft etc. Movies, of course, financed by middle class white fat cats.

Just reinforces a negative self image of African Americans, I guess.

I still think that the "left" employ better arguements with facts etc whilst far, far too many Repug sites/commentators just make statements which use weasal words and lies to justify their points of view.

Ex Republican's David Brock's site, Media Matters, does this excellently and really blows their lies apart on a daily basis, the Al Franken Show on Air America also does this as does Newshounds. Air America TBF does what it says on the tin - it's anti Bush but there is at least a deep degree of analysis on his show.

I also visit various neocon sites and it is so easy to see where they deliberately misquote Democrats.

Here's another example. I think you might have seen that CBC programme I posted where they investigated Bill O'Reilly's claim that his "boycott France" poster campaign had reduced French exports to the USA. He based this on magazine he called "The Paris Review". As I easily found out and CBC did , there is no such magazine and French imports have increased to the USA.
Yet, Fox viewers believe this.
That channel's viewers also still think that Saddam Hussein was directly involved in the 9/11 atrocity. There was a poll conducted recently which discovered this.

Metrostars
25/07/2005, 8:21 PM
You are correct in what you say about the repubs, they can get away with just making blanket, broad statements with a philosophy but without any justification or facts. Such as "The War on Terror", that is such a broad statement and they are able to use it to justify anything they want to get, no questions asked and if questions are asked then you are 'un-American'. Want to jail enemy combatants without an end date? Well its "The War on Terror". Want to bring in the Patriot Act, its for "The War on Terror". And it is seen as a very difficult thing to fight against by the Democrats because it is so easy for the repubs to come back right away and say "see People, the Dems dont want the fight The War on Terror".
And thats the impression I got with Kerry last year and one of the reasons why I didnt vote for him; he didnt have the guts to call Bush out for what he is.

hamish
25/07/2005, 9:43 PM
You are correct in what you say about the repubs, they can get away with just making blanket, broad statements with a philosophy but without any justification or facts. Such as "The War on Terror", that is such a broad statement and they are able to use it to justify anything they want to get, no questions asked and if questions are asked then you are 'un-American'. Want to jail enemy combatants without an end date? Well its "The War on Terror". Want to bring in the Patriot Act, its for "The War on Terror". And it is seen as a very difficult thing to fight against by the Democrats because it is so easy for the repubs to come back right away and say "see People, the Dems dont want the fight The War on Terror".
And thats the impression I got with Kerry last year and one of the reasons why I didnt vote for him; he didnt have the guts to call Bush out for what he is.

Yeah, for a war veteran, I thought Kerry really bottled out. The disgraceful Swift Boat smear didn't help either - I thought he should have gone on the offensive against them and really stuck it to them by challenging them to a televised debate. He was too restrained and his campaign was all over the place.
Also, regardless of what many said, his distancing of the likes of Michael Moore and Dean and Move.on was a cop out. He should have shouted out loud 'n' proud a lot of what Moore was saying for him.
Look, he wasn't gping to convince the hardline red states anyway and should have really battered at Bush in the swing states like Ohio where they have lost jobs left, right and centre.
I live in a town which has suffered four major factory closures - it's absolutely hammered Beeslow - in 12 years and I can tell you that Fianna Fail will get fcuked next election here. How the Dems couldn't get Ohio behind them I'll never understand.
They were far too nicey nicey - almost apologetic at times - and didn't seem to want to get down and dorty with the Repubs - it's the only way to fight those creeps - at least Moore does it, for all his faults.
You can't reason or be gentlemanly with neocon bullies - like all bullies they have stood up to and hammered just like Move.on.org did.