PDA

View Full Version : Murphy hopes for brighter future for Irish soccer

Éanna
30/03/2002, 1:52 PM
Sports.com
29 March 2002

Liam Murphy is hoping that the eircom League can come out of its administative crisis stronger and better than ever before.

Like everyone involved in the game here, the Cork boss has been dismayed at the chaos the league finds itself in.

Instead of looking forward to an exciting climax, both divisions of the league are a laughing stock.

The rulebook will be overhauled at the AGM and new structures will be put in place to ensure the shambles of this season never happens again.

Or so we all hope.

Murphy, who takes his Cork side to Derry on Sunday for a noon kick-off, said: "It's a farce. The whole season has been devalued. It's gone on too long.

"Hopefully the one good thing to come out of all this is that the whole adminstration process will be reviewed and better structures will be put in place for future seasons."

Murphy will be busy enough getting his own house in order as he faces a hectic summer keeping his squad intact for next season.

Winger Ollie Cahill appears set to join Shelbourne while reserve goalkeeper Noel Mooney, central defender Derek Coughlan, Colin T. O'Brien and Greg O'Halloran are all out of contract.

Murphy said: "We offered them new deals and it's up to the players at the end of the day.

"I know the players I want for next season and I'll be having talks with them to encourage them to stay with us."

Éanna
30/03/2002, 1:53 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
"I know the players I want for next season and I'll be having talks with them to encourage them to stay with us."

he took his bloody time didn't he! IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT! Why wasn't this done about 6 months ago!

Colm
30/03/2002, 6:32 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

"I know the players I want for next season and I'll be having talks with them to encourage them to stay with us." The question is will HE be staying with us for yet ANOTHER season. It doesnt bear thinking about.

Snatch
30/03/2002, 7:34 PM
Is there any talk of those other uncontracted players leaving?

There must be several clubs interested in Mooney and Coughlan. It must be pretty tempting for Mooney to leave for first team football.

Éanna
31/03/2002, 1:32 PM
how the FCUK did they not think of sorting this out earlier!!!!:mad:

ccfcman
04/04/2002, 1:42 PM
murphy was never one to act quickly

pete
04/04/2002, 1:51 PM
While its easy to blame Gunther again for this I suspect it could have more to do with the Boardroom uncertainties as they are afterall the people who supposed to control the money.

ccfcman
04/04/2002, 1:59 PM
ya thats true though they dont seem to have released a statement