PDA

View Full Version : The Appeal of Thugball

pete
25/07/2005, 11:26 AM
Seen some highlights of Ulster Final replay yesterday & looked like post closing time street brawl. The amount of late challenges & elbows & fists was unreal :eek:

I don't understand the appeal of that game when the eL gets so much slagging for poor quality etc...

Amateurism seems to attract fighting on the pitch. Almost eliminated from rugby as its gone professional as wll cost the players wages & careers.

gustavo
25/07/2005, 11:30 AM
i love watchin a good gaelic football match i agree that some of the behaviour in that match was unacceptable but for the majority the game is played in a fair manner with no little skill. Now lets hope that Sligo can beat the boys representing your county on Saturday :D

Macy
25/07/2005, 11:45 AM
Moving to other sports....

joeSoap
25/07/2005, 11:47 AM
i love watchin a good gaelic football match
I wasn't aware that there was such a thing... :rolleyes:

pete
25/07/2005, 11:47 AM
Moving to other sports....

Good call, my mistake...

aidz1
25/07/2005, 2:51 PM
i travelled to the match and actually thought it was a very good game
quality scores, great passages of play, high paced, tough marked battles and big hits. it was hard hitting granted, but this is expected at this level. the excitment of the game throughout was good and really took off in the 2nd half. cant understand some of the slating it has got since.
the worst aspect of the game was the tyrone supporter who hit the sent off armagh player as he left the field. should never happen. that "fan" should be charged.
(btw: sending offs were rough on tyrone, although ryan mc m probably deserved to go)

BohDiddley
26/07/2005, 8:01 PM
GAA football. The ugliest ball game invented.
I was forced to watch Dubs v. Laois there the other week. I thought the whistle would never blow. Hurling's another thing altogether. For the life of me, I can't understand why the two games are still linked, and why the hurlers, whose game is far superior, and actually seems to demand some thought and skill, tolerate playing second fiddle.

pete
26/07/2005, 9:59 PM
I was forced to watch Dubs v. Laois there the other week. I thought the whistle would never blow. Hurling's another thing altogether. For the life of me, I can't understand why the two games are still linked, and why the hurlers, whose game is far superior, and actually seems to demand some thought and skill, tolerate playing second fiddle.

Hurling requires skill so can't just take up & learn. Thugball could be good if they eliminated the fighting & left some room for skill. The only skill left in the game is scoring & the long range percentages are shokcingly bad as players just seem to concentrate on physique.

CollegeTillIDie
26/07/2005, 10:57 PM

Definition of Gaelic Football from a Bohs Fanzine:

Take 30 bouncers stick them in a field and through a football in to confuse the issue :D

Bumper sticker seen on the back of a KK Reg car:
" Gaelic Football is a game for bad Hurlers!" :D

4tothefloor
27/07/2005, 12:04 AM
Rugby and Gaelic Football - in a sentence, sports for fat f*****s. The out-half in rugby is skillful, but apart from that the majority of them are all mullackers. Soccer and Hurling are the best field sports in the world, simply because they are based on skill and tactics rather than brawn and power.

pete
27/07/2005, 12:06 AM
Strength can help in football (soccer) but one of the few sports where fast & slow, short & tall play alongside each other using their various advantages.

jofyisgod
29/07/2005, 2:30 PM
It's ok live, purely beacuse you can look at weirdos in the crowd whilst the games on, but on TV?! No way. Bad example to youngsters n'all.

SaucyJack
29/07/2005, 9:23 PM
Strength can help in football (soccer) but one of the few sports where fast & slow, short & tall play alongside each other using their various advantages.

if you're talking about soccer/football here, I think that statement is a bit flawed,...how much ridicule has Peter Crouch taken over the last several weeks on message boards and papers due to his height?....and basketball leagues across Europe and other parts of the world are full of players whose first love was soccer/football,,, but switched to basketball because they grew too tall?...the Moellers and Crouches of football are exceptions.

Bluesky
31/07/2005, 6:10 PM
Surely rugby is a good example of a sport which has a place for all shapes & sizes ?

Dodge
31/07/2005, 10:32 PM
Not really. Bigger the btter. No place for a small, slow guy but in real football, he'd have a place if he was skillful enough

CollegeTillIDie
06/08/2005, 1:07 AM
Not really. Bigger the btter. No place for a small, slow guy but in real football, he'd have a place if he was skillful enough

Well said the Campaign for Real Football starts here :ball: