Shamrock Rovers v Shelbourne 20:00

First Division

Bray v Athlone 19:45
Cobh v Longford 19:45
Galway v Cork 19:45
Waterford v Treaty 19:45

sbgawa
27/05/2022, 11:38 AM
Bohemians v Drogs is a chance for Bohs to separate themselves from the fight at mid bottom of the table but a victory for Drogs would draw them level on points going into the break.
Dundalk v Pats even without the sideshow of SOD saga is an important one for both teams, Dundalk are in the title fight now and Pats at home is the kind of match that someone with aspirations to win the league should be targeting to win.
For some reason i expect Harps to get something in Derry given the run Derry are on and Rovers who entertain Damien Duffs Shelbourne on a run of 4 wins will be grateful for any help from our Donegal friends.

The clash of Galway and Cork is the standout match in the first division with a chance for Galway to go 6 points clear of Cork.....wouldn't John Caulfield love that

Knocklyonhoop
27/05/2022, 1:04 PM
Dundalk to beat Pats (relatively easily) which puts them 6 clear with a game in hand. Didn’t see that gap appearing.

Kiki Balboa
27/05/2022, 1:29 PM
Again, so many storylines to watch out for. It seems the framing of every teams season changes week on week (apart from maybe Rovers and UCD).

Massive game for Dundalk. I wouldnt be super over-hyped for us. Really, there is a run of games that we should expect to win from (apart from Derry away). Harder games next in Pats, Sligo and Rovers. Although, 2 of those 3 are at home. If our run continued through those games, only then would I consider us as possible contender. On a similar note, Dundalk and Derry win tonight, the top three will have very much so separated from the middle of the pack.

It would be great for the league in terms of interest at the top if Rovers lost tonight to Shels. It would close the gap at first obvisously, while adding a real possibilty for Shels and Europe (although itmight be the year that the cup winner doesnt come from the top 3). But that is more wishful thinking than expectations.

If Drogheda gets a result vs Bohs, it would add a huge amount of pressure on Long, but that will be unlikely, Drogs are poor away from home. Harps really can't let Drogheda extend their lead on them any further.

Galway and Cork is probably the biggest game in the first for a long time. Two professional outfits from two large cities? Hopefully it dosent diasapoint.

joey B
27/05/2022, 2:04 PM
I’ll be shocked if we take anything tbh,can see the top 3 all winning and do we trust Sligo and Bohs to win when favourites? I wouldn’t be sure….

Jd2793
27/05/2022, 2:08 PM
we will not beat galway. we've been shocking for weeks now. i could see both managers being happy with a draw though, neither will be going gung-ho for the win thats for sure.

The Bowler
27/05/2022, 5:22 PM
Will the sacking the manager bounce continue for Sligo at The Bowl, not so sure. The Students were OK against Shels last week 1st half, pen was soft as hell, and then conceded to a Harps style ball straight after the break, which is sort of ironic given we've been playing like Harps since Ian Ryan left! Anyway we live in hope for an unlikely three points, maybe bogging the ball long will work against Sligo, although we are so predictable a manager with his underage badges could set up to defend against us these days. Would be really nice to see us try and play through teams, god forbid !

The Bowler
27/05/2022, 5:51 PM
Wow, TOD on RTE news saying 5000 people expected at Gakway v Cork tonight. Things are on the up.

Nesta99
27/05/2022, 7:09 PM
I’ll be shocked if we take anything tbh,can see the top 3 all winning and do we trust Sligo and Bohs to win when favourites? I wouldn’t be sure….

Shocked but not impossible it seems so far. Short lived lead but right now Dundalk top two...never expected to be anywhere near even this stage!

Intriguing 1st half in Oriel, Dundalk probably deserving the lead but good moments from St Pats, Owalabi the main danger with pace and strength. Maybe should have had a penalty, but hard to see unless a Pats fan. Impressed with Pats high press, I dare say that time on the ball is almost European tie like, quick ball ;round the corner, switch of play needed and it didnt look like we would get to grips early doors but then lifted out own game and got a good goal. A Hoban header looked like it was sailing in but drifted off. Quality game in general imo.

*congrats to Bellurgan for the SFAI u15 win, beating a club of St Kevin's stature on a national level is no mean feat for a small local Dundalk club by comparison.

pineapple stu
27/05/2022, 7:22 PM
During that brief spell Derry were losing to Harps, it meant UCD had taken twice as many points from the last six games as Derry had.

This league is weird

El-Pietro
27/05/2022, 7:40 PM
Huge crowd at Terryland. Galway have had the better chances. One cleared off the line. Wareru put a free header from a yard out wide of the post. Not sure how it didn't go in. They had a penalty shout right at the end of the half.

City have had a lot of the ball and a good number of set pieces but haven't tested the keeper, aside from Matt Healys newest goalnof the season contender. The loi stream clip of it doesn't do it justice. Hoping for a better quality version over the weekend.

TonyD
27/05/2022, 7:48 PM
Shocked but not impossible it seems so far. Short lived lead but right now Dundalk top two...never expected to be anywhere near even this stage!

Intriguing 1st half in Oriel, Dundalk probably deserving the lead but good moments from St Pats, Owalabi the main danger with pace and strength. Maybe should have had a penalty, but hard to see unless a Pats fan. Impressed with Pats high press, I dare say that time on the ball is almost European tie like, quick ball ;round the corner, switch of play needed and it didnt look like we would get to grips early doors but then lifted out own game and got a good goal. A Hoban header looked like it was sailing in but drifted off. Quality game in general imo.

Nothing in the game at all from my point of view. Ian Bermingham unlucky for the goal, Hobans chance had the keeper beaten I think. Hard to say with the penalty, initially I wasn’t even sure it was inside the box. I thought Eoin Doyle maybe should have looked to go across the goal with his early chance. All to play for anyway, we’re certainly not out of it. Would like to see Tunde get a proper run on the Dundalk defence.

pineapple stu
27/05/2022, 8:05 PM
Referee knocked out in Belfield now. Being stretchered off.

Never seen that before

David BOHie
27/05/2022, 8:11 PM
Jesus, how did that happen?

Nesta99
27/05/2022, 8:14 PM
Nothing in the game at all from my point of view. Ian Bermingham unlucky for the goal, Hobans chance had the keeper beaten I think. Hard to say with the penalty, initially I wasn’t even sure it was inside the box. I thought Eoin Doyle maybe should have looked to go across the goal with his early chance. All to play for anyway, we’re certainly not out of it. Would like to see Tunde get a proper run on the Dundalk defence.

Sheppard is very quick out, sweeper like, as a full run at our centrebacks would cause mayhem, they'd be skinned. Think Pats could really get at us with the keeper always off his line, worth lifting a shot, ball over the top if backs push up at all. I can see a straight red for a professional foul between the keeper and centreback pairing. But we're tidy going forward too so yeah all to play for.

Kiki Balboa
27/05/2022, 8:19 PM
What has happened to Derry??

TonyD
Sheppard is very quick out, sweeper like, as a full run at our centrebacks would cause mayhem, they'd be skinned. Think Pats could really get at us with the keeper always off his line, worth lifting a shot, ball over the top if backs push up at all. I can see a straight red for a professional foul between the keeper and centreback pairing. But we're tidy going forward too so yeah all to play for.

Premature taking Tunde off I thought. Mark Doyle doesn’t convince me at all. Darragh Burns might cause a few problems though.

pineapple stu
Jesus, how did that happen?
Took a pass full in the face from two yards.

I think he's just dazed, but he was getting treatment for about five minutes so he must have really felt it

pineapple stu
27/05/2022, 8:27 PM
Now one of our players is out cold after a clash with the keeper.

Play on says the sub ref...

Edit - yep, he's being subbed off after the keeper took him out outside the box, and it's a hop hall. I don't think "He got the ball" quite goes this far

pineapple stu
27/05/2022, 8:36 PM
Just the ten minutes added so

El-Pietro
27/05/2022, 8:46 PM
Absolutely backs to the walls, dead on our feet stuff for the majority if the second half. We didn't even pretend we wanted the ball after Keating went off. Just cleared it, sat deep and defended with all our lives.
Huge game for Harrington who got his first u21 call up this week.
Warerwu cost Galway the three points today with a pair of missed sitters.
Gonna be a long season.

Nesta99
27/05/2022, 8:50 PM
That last 15-20 was just give it to Darragh Burns, he tortured Leahy and Sheppard got an incredible pointblank save up over the bar. O'Donnell reacted to try and nullify Burns and King down our left which is good to see but didnt think those players were going to get on in time and the Sam Bone on at left full for the last 10 I feared he'd be goosed but fair play he broke play up then. Dont know whether the break is a good thing considering our form but Im sure there are some legs that need a rest. Again I genuinely could not see us being 2nd at this stage and it just seems Derry form has inexplicably fallen off a cliff, just saving themselves a bit tonight. Making it easy for Rovers who are cruising under no pressure so far. Dundalk win that game in hand and Rovers in Oriel soon after we may have to do the job of trying to make a title race of some sorts!!

joey B
27/05/2022, 8:58 PM
Sickner for us tonight,feels like a defeat after competing very well all night,can only hope we come back after the break and compete like that and hopefully we’ll start picking up points.
Derry definitely missing their injured players though,squad not up to Rovers level….

nigel-harps1954
27/05/2022, 9:03 PM
Harps fully deserved the win tonight. Real sickener. Much, much better from us again. McWoods and Mihaljevic up top looking like a half decent partnership after persisting with Mahdy walking about for the past few months.

Two poor goals to give away from a Harps perspective.

LOI101
27/05/2022, 9:05 PM
Very comfortable for Rovers in Tallaght. Busiest Mannus was was at half time with one of those get to know the player interviews on LOITV. Prerecorded obviously but that was all he had to do.

Jd2793
27/05/2022, 9:07 PM
Harps fully deserved the win tonight. Real sickener. Much, much better from us again. McWoods and Mihaljevic up top looking like a half decent partnership after persisting with Mahdy walking about for the past few months.

abysmal stuff from mcginley

Nesta99
27/05/2022, 9:16 PM

Harps just cant close out game v Derry, could play them off the park for 90+minutes and a 30second lapse and its all undone. I dont think its the 2 additional points that would seem like a corner turned and a fightback out of the relegation slot, its the sucker punch again after a good performance and losing the confidence boost of winning in the Brandywell. That said its still a valuable point albeit others picked up draws.

Well after the break if Harps take points off second placed side, and we throw away 3 points v UCD, get beaten by Drogheda, play out borefest draw against a listless Sligo....

joey B
27/05/2022, 9:24 PM
Harps just cant close out game v Derry, could play them off the park for 90+minutes and a 30second lapse and its all undone. I dont think its the 2 additional points that would seem like a corner turned and a fightback out of the relegation slot, its the sucker punch again after a good performance and losing the confidence boost of winning in the Brandywell. That said its still a valuable point albeit others picked up draws.

Well after the break if Harps take points off second placed side, and we throw away 3 points v UCD, get beaten by Drogheda, play out borefest draw against a listless Sligo....

3 of last 4 times we played there we’ve conceded an equaliser in injury time,draws aren’t much use to us unfortunately….

The Bowler
27/05/2022, 9:35 PM
A night that summed up the season so far at The Bowl. The ref knocked out, was up their with the sprinkler episode. In the end a game we should have won. Would have had a penalty and v 10 men had Duffy gone down under a last man challenge, instead he bizarrely stayed on his feet and missed the chance while falling over. A goal conceded that originated with Yoro fresh airing an attempted clearance (a speciality all of his own), and 10 seconds later its in the back if the net, quite the worst footballer to pull on a UCD Jersey in recent years. At one stage he had to be told by Todd that a player cant be offside from a throw in. Gets mistaken for being good because he's quick...a mystery. Then we should have had a pen when the sub ref ignored an assault on Lonergan that left him out cold and subbed off as quick as he was subbed on. Sligo keeper should have been sent off fir the challenge. So really should have been playing 9 for the last 10 mins. Myler picks up his customary yellow for abusing the official, always abusing someone, own players oppo or officials, they all come the same to him. And Harps concede late in Derry, so back where we started the day. The joy of the LOI. Little break now...what will we do next Friday ?

pineapple stu
27/05/2022, 9:41 PM
In fairness, double jeopardy probably means the Duffy penalty incident wouldn't have been a red as well as a penalty, and the Lonergan foul was outside the box I'm fairly sure.

But yeah, other than that, have to agree with the summation.

The Bowler
27/05/2022, 9:48 PM
You are right, Lonergan was outside the box, I wasn't thinking writing that, but it should have been a red, it was completely out of control.

placid casual
27/05/2022, 10:07 PM
Very, very straightforward victory for the Champions against DamienDuffsShelbourne. Delighted that Towell got a goal, as he really needed it.
Shels have sone decent players but looked toothless up front. 2nd half was a stroll, and neither Byrne nor Mandriou were missed at all.
I predicted dundalk would finish 2nd and that is looking like it could happen.
A few weeks off for most of the players (besides those on international duty), and a chance now for Bradley and mgmt team to get focused on hopefully an extended European campaign.

total hoofball
27/05/2022, 10:11 PM
It was as a comfortable 2-0 win for Rovers against Shels, never thought the result was in doubt. That's now both games this season against them we've conceded after a minute to a Rovers counter attack really poor to start so badly in these games putting us on the backfoot for whole night

2 Year Contract
27/05/2022, 10:26 PM
Poor game in Oriel tonight. Dundalk created little all night and were gifted a goal through a short pats back pass to the keeper. Pats were denied a blatant penalty in the first half for a foul on Tunde Owolabi. Second half was better from pats after creating very little in the first, Darragh Burns and Billy King coming off the bench certainly made a huge difference and barring a few great saves from Nathan Sheppard it would’ve been a draw which would probably have been a fairer result I feel in what was an average performance from both sides

mcgonigle
27/05/2022, 10:27 PM
Bit lucky to hold on for the win there. But we give nothing away easily and have a top keeper who is getting better and better. Pats will rue being so conservative in the first half, played no football. Burns should have been on from the start.

O'Donnell doing a cracking job with limited resources. Baffling why Pats let him go...

oriel
27/05/2022, 10:27 PM
It really is an incredible feeling to see Dundalk in clear 2nd, just the small matter of 8 points behind Rovers, but I don't think that was our target or anywhere near it at pre season. It was all about being competitive and to try our best to get the last spot for europe. My own view has not changed, getting into europe by any method, and the recovery is full on.

Now on the game tonight, Pats played some decent passing, but mostly in their own half, we were more dominant in MF first half, a mix up in defence for the only goal, but Kelly still had a fair bit to do.

Second half diff story thought Pats maybe were the better side, 9/10 performance display in goal for us from young Sheppard, two pinpoint saves, this guy is serious quality, but to counter Pats threats, Connolly / Boyle superb in the middle, absolutely delighted with the 3 points, but if I was a Pats fan I`d be disappointed not to have got a point.

Fogra, how long are Pats in the league, 1950? And to my knowlegde have usually worn red tops, mostly with white sleeves (tonight), white shorts, red socks, the ref deemed that a colour clash against white top, black shorts, white socks, so we had to wear the 'GNR' kit, similar to Hull City..................unbelievable Jeff.

2 Year Contract
27/05/2022, 10:34 PM
Fogra, how long are Pats in the league, 1950? And to my knowlegde have usually worn red tops, mostly with white sleeves (tonight), white shorts, red socks, the ref deemed that a colour clash against white top, black shorts, white socks, so we had to wear the 'GNR' kit, similar to Hull City..................unbelievable Jeff.

A good few of the current LOI refs seem to have developed Anthony Buttimer syndrome alright, it’s to do with the white sleeves on both jerseys I believe. We had to wear our away jersey at home to Bohs on Monday for the same reason, due to their away kit having white sleeves. Ridiculous stuff really

total hoofball
27/05/2022, 10:38 PM
Has Anthony Buttimer made a comeback? Anthony loved a non-existent colour clash about 5 times a season

sbgawa
27/05/2022, 10:49 PM
Very comfortable for Rovers tonight , Shels showed very little to suggest they were on a 4 game winning streak.
Bohs drawing with Drogs would surely spell the end for 008 but thankfully the proletariat at Bohs wont allow that to happen.
008 and Lambert are the best combo since Steak and Kidney.
Harps did us a favour as i predicted against Derry (WTF is happening to Derry) would genuinely be interested in a Derry fans perspective.
Massive win for Cork boy

pineapple stu
27/05/2022, 10:51 PM
Has Anthony Buttimer made a comeback? Anthony loved a non-existent colour clash about 5 times a season

Interestingly, the ref and the Sligo keeper were both in all black in Belfield tonight.

The ref's unlikely to mistake McGinty for himself, but still, I didn't think that was allowed?

Nesta99
27/05/2022, 11:27 PM
Very, very straightforward victory for the Champions against DamienDuffsShelbourne. Delighted that Towell got a goal, as he really needed it.
Shels have sone decent players but looked toothless up front. 2nd half was a stroll, and neither Byrne nor Mandriou were missed at all.
I predicted dundalk would finish 2nd and that is looking like it could happen.
A few weeks off for most of the players (besides those on international duty), and a chance now for Bradley and mgmt team to get focused on hopefully an extended European campaign.

Ah you were winding up St Pats fans and got lucky! Not that you will find a Dundalk fan complaining about being 2nd. It is time to ground expectations, we are unlikely to close on Rovers or stay ahead of Derry, We are just in too many tight games that recently we have gotten the edge but that run could go the other way. Maybe a couple of important players out in July being recalled but also if in decent nick there might be a few quid to add to the squad,

ToberonaTornado
28/05/2022, 1:04 AM
Derry colapse due to
No fats no party Duffy's injury/ absence obv not helping either and the bench looks bare.

sulywaterfordfc
28/05/2022, 2:04 AM
Another bug win tonight for us over Treaty. If the two local lads aren’t giving the job permanently it’d be an utter shame. 6 wins on the bounce now, some big games to come in the next few weeks.

trevy
28/05/2022, 6:53 AM
Waterford on a great run now. First half was poor, not many chances and fairly even. The most exciting thing was a young child aged 3 or so ran onto the middle of the pitch before being picked up by security.
Louis Britton scored from close range in 2nd half. Treaty missed a good chance to equalise and then Idowu scored from a Patterson cross which ended the game. Waterford added 2 more for comfortable win.

gufct
28/05/2022, 8:18 AM
Cork fans let themselves down again firing bottles , flares and trying to start fights in Woodquay. The club really have to clamp down on the green street element who are worse than any bunch in the league. A good few fired out of the ground too.

placid casual
28/05/2022, 8:25 AM
Ah you were winding up St Pats fans and got lucky! Not that you will find a Dundalk fan complaining about being 2nd.
Nah, I rate your manager quite highly tbh.
I think he has the makings of a very decent, successful manager. If he continues to flourish he'd be my choice to replace Bradley at Rovers when he presumably goes abroad next season.
Add in you have the likes of Hoban, Kelly, Slogett, Boyle who have had success in recent past, and it seemed a bit obvious dundalk would flourish - the super mario/crazy yanks era looks in the rear view mirror now.
Derry will be much, much stronger next season as they're bound to flex their financial muscles - they are in Yr 1.5 of their "project" I'd say.
If there was to be 3 teams competing for the title in years to come it would really improve the profile of the league, imo.

Nesta99
28/05/2022, 9:52 AM
Nah, I rate your manager quite highly tbh.
I think he has the makings of a very decent, successful manager. If he continues to flourish he'd be my choice to replace Bradley at Rovers when he presumably goes abroad next season.
Add in you have the likes of Hoban, Kelly, Slogett, Boyle who have had success in recent past, and it seemed a bit obvious dundalk would flourish - the super mario/crazy yanks era looks in the rear view mirror now.
Derry will be much, much stronger next season as they're bound to flex their financial muscles - they are in Yr 1.5 of their "project" I'd say.
If there was to be 3 teams competing for the title in years to come it would really improve the profile of the league, imo.

Didnt you say the same about Harry Kenny?

Kiki Balboa
28/05/2022, 10:10 AM
Dundalk play very much like St. Pats last year. Good and tough, but more importantly have a high quality goalkeeper to bail them out and see out a game. Dan Kelly is starting to look like a proper footballer too under O'Donnell.

In saying Pats could have even won the game if Darragh Burns started the game. That must be fustrating. Clancy looks a bit weak with that. Although, Pats must still be somewhat relieved looking at Derrys form, they are most likely to drop out of the automatic European places now.

Nesta99
28/05/2022, 10:28 AM
Derry colapse due to
No fats no party Duffy's injury/ absence obv not helping either and the bench looks bare.

Whatever about the bench looking bare, McEleney wasnt available for much of the 1st round and was nursed back slowly, Duffy out from being signed. As PC mentioned about Dundalk having a core of experienced quality that is worth points, Derry should have more about them than a total collapse in to relegation like form. 30th of April, top, 3 points clear with a game in hand I think. 28th of May in 3rd 9pts adrift, 3 points in 6 games, last nights point was a smash and grab (though in fairness Sligo nicked an injury time winner and the performance in Tallaght was better than the run suggests). But by any measure, even a decimated squad thats worrying form, from beating UCD 7-1, St Pats 0-4 etc. McGonigle top league scorer and Patching a couple behind (Patching's goals alone saving 2 of their 3 points) Now Higgins will ride out the storm, the break could well save their season, but maybe some inexperience showing in knowing how to get out of that rut when it happens, its easy when you're winning. I dont recall such a total turnaround in results/form since Maguire left Cork City and that was an outlier.

pineapple stu
28/05/2022, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I don't think there's three players of a difference between beating UCD 7-1 and Pat's 4-0 in successive games, and needing a 94th minute equaliser to draw against Harps.

Sligo had a similar run of form last year - 9-4-1 from their first 14 league games, and 4-2-9 from the next 15 (plus home and away defeats against an Icelandic side in Europe). They turned their season around to hold on for Europe in the end, but Derry will have to be hoping they don't match Sligo's European campaign.