PDA

View Full Version : Jungle to re-open in Derry

A face
24/07/2005, 11:39 PM
Jungle to re-open in Derry

Derry City supporters will again be able to watch games from the Lone Moor Road side of the ground – known in local parlance as “The Jungle” – after it was revealed that redevelopment work has seen the terrace declared safe for use.

Work was carried out by Derry City Council over the past six months, removing of the corrugated asbestos roof of the structure and other structural elements, including some steelwork.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/offthefield/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=18360)

pete
25/07/2005, 9:52 AM
Seems strange that Derry have almost half their ground closed when look at the standards of some other grounds.

:confused:

Éanna
25/07/2005, 12:50 PM
excellent. there was always a great atmosphere from the jungle any time I was up there. looking forward to our trip up there in a few weeks

Schumi
25/07/2005, 1:04 PM
There's no roof on it now though so what will the atmosphere be like?

Poor Student
25/07/2005, 1:14 PM
Seems strange that Derry have almost half their ground closed when look at the standards of some other grounds.

:confused:

Wasn't that something that greatly irked Derry, that they made a 100% attempt to implement licence procedures while others made half assed attempts?

Schumi
25/07/2005, 2:55 PM
That wasn't closed due to the licencing though AFAIK (Maribor will the know the story better than me) but because Derry City Council decided it was unsafe.

Poor Student
25/07/2005, 3:00 PM
Oh yeah, sorry, forgot, there was aesbestos in the roof I think.

daniel
25/07/2005, 6:11 PM
The atmosphere will be ****e now that there is no roof and hopefully something will be done and the reason that the jungle was closed was because of asbestos in the roof and because of the wall behind the jungle was deemed not safe.

MariborKev
25/07/2005, 6:53 PM
Schumi

The H&S authority had deemed it unsafe and therefore we couldn't get the insurance on it.

The club has submitted a proposal for a complete redevelopment of the ground and hopes to secure ownership of the ground in the coming months.

There are no plans for any temporary roof

hamish
25/07/2005, 7:41 PM
Feck off Derry City fans.there's only one jungle in EL football and that's on the terrace at the Dublin end of Mels. :D

Redzer
26/07/2005, 11:08 AM
Feck off Derry City fans.there's only one jungle in EL football and that's on the terrace at the Dublin end of Mels. :D
It's all a jungle at St Mels, even getting into it :D

hamish
26/07/2005, 5:09 PM
:
It's all a jungle at St Mels, even getting into it :D

:D :D

:p

Aaron GUFC
26/07/2005, 6:13 PM

No need to tell the Derry fans to ...eh hem.....MODS? :mad:

hamish
26/07/2005, 6:51 PM
No need to tell the Derry fans to ...eh hem.....MODS? :mad:

Just messing AAron ;)

pete
26/07/2005, 8:57 PM

Do you theres a junle IN Athlone or Athlone IS a jungle. :eek:

hamish
27/07/2005, 1:32 AM
Do you theres a junle IN Athlone or Athlone IS a jungle. :eek:

Oh, be nice, Corky Boy.
:p :D

Aaron GUFC
27/07/2005, 7:41 PM
Just messing AAron ;)
Its alright i just taught you were being serious ;)

hamish
28/07/2005, 5:45 PM
Its alright i just taught you were being serious ;)

Utterly impossible for me Aaron GUFC - life's too short.

I met another Noel (from Roscommon) in Heuston station last Sunday morning.
I remember - in 1993 or 1994 - the two of us getting a pair of hoes and clearing out that jungle of weeds from that Mel's Park Dublin end.

There were plants there I'm sure have not been classified/named yet. :D

That's why I can joke about it now. :D

PS -I meant hoes not hos - as in gardening tools. :D

hamish
28/07/2005, 6:06 PM
BTW Aaron - how's Tommy Shields getting on? Used to meet him a lot in my Athlone days - he's a great character and a sound bloke. I wonder does his answering machine still have that fcuking Manure sonh on it - you had to suffer through that before you could leave a message. He wouldn't remember me now as I havem't seen him in at least a decade.
Another sound bloke was the GU phsio - bloke with glasses - I think his first name was George :confused: He was a smashing bloke - he gave me a bunch of footie memoranilia once which I really appreciated - I never even asked him for them but he thought I might enjoy them.
Think he's gone from GU a good while now.
I hope this isn't a Derry City site BTW - apologies to Derry fans for trolling. :o

Aaron GUFC
28/07/2005, 10:34 PM
Another sound bloke was the GU phsio - bloke with glasses - I think his first name was George

The physio's name is Gerry Fallon, and hes a legend ;) , Also Tommy Shields is keeping well, i think he goes by the name of Gufct on this website :)

hamish
28/07/2005, 11:49 PM
Another sound bloke was the GU phsio - bloke with glasses - I think his first name was George

The physio's name is Gerry Fallon, and hes a legend ;) , Also Tommy Shields is keeping well, i think he goes by the name of Gufct on this website :)

I never realised Tommy Shields was in Footie - thanks for that Aaron - I'll keep an eye out for him.

The physio I mentioned was with GUFC in the early 90s - fecked if I can remember his name - think his first name was George??. I think he was with Athlone for a while after his Galway spell or maybe to cover for the Town physio???

Tommy Shields will remember all this. :D