PDA

View Full Version : A Northerner visits St. Mels

Libero
24/07/2005, 11:27 AM
A linfield fan's review of his trip to Athlone for the great recent victory over Coventry City (Taken from www.irishleagueforums.net):

"left banbridge at 8.30
drove to athlone listening to ****e dance music only interupted by me telling everyone at least 5 times that Joe Dolan is from Mulingar which is near Athlone.
Arrived in Athlone at around 12.30 and went straight to the ground to have a wee look around. Greeted by a few men who were really friendly and showed us around and told us that billions of worms were put into the pitch when it was being made!!
Then went into town and walked around the shopping centre where i purchased a pogues cd. Talking away to the owner of the sports shop up the street, nice man too, seemed scared when i told him i was a Linfield supporter! lol
Had a lovely carvery lunch and a few pints in the bar beside the internet cafe thingy. Got talking to Roisein (ro-sheen!) behind the bar, lovely girl, loved me! went into the bookies and lost some money, then went into another bookies and lost some more money (btw the nicest bookies i have ever been in in my life, quality!) Crossed the bridge and had another wee pint in some other wee bar, back to see Ro-sheen, she really does love me, no way is she engaged! We then went out to the ground obviously we didnt take the car!! (Cant believe they dont allow drink in the ground, gutted! )Seen the Cov team bus struggle to get through the gates. Talking ****e to the Coventry players and officials. Also talking to some man who's son was playing and used to play Gaelic for some county, cant remember which but it wasnt West Meath, talked about the only gaelic player i know, then the match started, only going to be one winner here, feel sorry for Athlone. Then they played and played superb, surely this cant be happening, bottom of league 1 my arse. the covered bank where you watch the match is really uncomfortable, couldnt stick that for long! Match over and talk to players again, mate talks with Alan O COnner who used to give him a lift to training with Glenavon, seems a nice fella, try and steal coventry kit but to no avail. headed back into town , into car with carry out and headed up the road, stopped in Joe Dolan land for a gorgeous curry chip.

All in all:
great trip
great pitch
great performance by Athlone
great to see Coventry
great lunch
great Ro-sheen
great craic
great people
great bookies

Will definately be back some time in the future."

:D :D

sligoman
24/07/2005, 1:07 PM
great pitch

This game was in Golden Island park wasn't it? :confused: :D

Libero
24/07/2005, 6:31 PM
Sligoman, Its actually a great pitch despite the best efforts of our team to dig it up this season.
Here's to you lot coming a cropper in the run-in at Paradise Island :)