PDA

View Full Version : Ireland Run Too Hot, Say Danes

Pablo
28/03/2002, 3:13 PM
sportinglife.com

i hope he aint right!(remember Orlando?)

Denmark coach Morten Olsen has warned Ireland that their fast-paced game will not be suited to the intense heat at this summer's World Cup.

While admiring Ireland's 3-0 defeat of the Danes on Wednesday night, Olsen believes Mick McCarthy's team must reassess their game plan for the finals in Japan and Korea.

"I must say that the Irish players were better in all aspects," said Olsen.

"We can't be satisfied in any way. It was a difficult match, under hard conditions, which showed that the Irishmen were better at handling the ball.

"We slept away the first 30 minutes and it just wasn't good enough.

"We've got problems, but Ireland won't be able to keep up that pace in Japan and South Korea because of the heat.

"But they are good, no doubt about that, and they beat Russia 2-0."

The Danes were hampered by the absences of key players Thomas Gravesen, Stig Tofting, Thomas Helveg, Martin Jorgensen and Jon Dahl Tomasson.

Some players clearly had an off-day," Olsen added, "but it's always out of all the negative stuff you have to find the positive things.

"You also know that one can't change five regulars without feeling it. We didn't win the duels, and I think a lot of players were surprised by the pressure from the Irish players.

"Ireland were also better technically than us, they reacted faster and turned faster."

Denmark goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen, who saved his country from a bigger humiliation with three superb stops in the first 30 minutes, was also critical of his team-mates.

The Sunderland star, who was substituted at half-time by Aberdeen's Peter Kjaer, told BT: "It was not good enough, no doubt about that.

"The Irish players were much stronger physically and we weren't sharp enough. This experience clearly leaves us with much to think about. We should be on a level with or better than Ireland.

"But this won't destroy our confidence for the World Cup. We just have to sharpen up and do better in the next test against Israel."

MikeW
28/03/2002, 3:43 PM
I'd be a lot happier if one or both of our remaining friendlies were away agaist decent European (or other) opposition. I don't see how playing all four games at home is of any great use (except to the FAI's bank balance). I think its giving us a wrong impression of this teams level to be honest.

pete
28/03/2002, 4:41 PM
Thats a good article & makes some very good points.

Denmark were just trotting around last night so they either just not bothered or practising for the WC.

Theres no way conditions will be anything like as bad as Orlando (12noon in middle of summer) but Japan is supposed to be very humid if maybe not so hot in June.

I think the FAi badly need the money from home friendlies but it is true that an away game ot two would help preparations as we play a different game away from home.

Éanna
29/03/2002, 2:31 PM
I dunno, we mightn't need to do any runing at all if steve staunton keeps raining aimless scud missile passes at the opposition goalie:rolleyes:

ccfcman
11/04/2002, 3:45 PM
bitchin match

Shelsman
11/04/2002, 4:02 PM
Originally posted by MikeW
I'd be a lot happier if one or both of our remaining friendlies were away agaist decent European (or other) opposition. I don't see how playing all four games at home is of any great use (except to the FAI's bank balance). I think its giving us a wrong impression of this teams level to be honest.

I'd rather see us go to the World Cup with a good friendly run behind us that would boost the confidence of the squad.

As for the home games, the more money the game can get here the better, besides which, it's good for the fans to be able to go and watch the team, especially to see some of the fringe / hopeful players.