PDA

View Full Version : Sligo 1-0 Kildare

The Stars
23/07/2005, 9:04 PM
Well,we were lucky enough to get all 3 points tonight considering we defended for most of the game and sat very deep.We created few chances but thankfully we have a goal poacher in our team in the form of Steve Feeney.He was quite for most of the game but can stand up and be counted this season thanks to his goals.Also taught Brown was good tonight considering it was his full debut.Flannery was of the pace of things so maybe Brown and McTiernan would be a better option for the Dublin City game.

sligoman
23/07/2005, 9:13 PM
Good game and I disagree with what you say about not deserving the win. I think we did deserve all three points even though we did defend a lot towards the end of the game. Browne did well and when he gets to full fitness I think we will have a great striker in our team. I thought Kildare could of and should played better. Murtagh, O'Hara, Burns and Faz did well. Dublin should be worried about next week and they lost to Kilkenny tonight which is a great result for the bit o'red,;).

Where is O'Grady is he injured or suspended or what? :confused:

Rovers1
23/07/2005, 9:40 PM
O Grady was in the stands,suspended.

kildare played well second half,although they are a 'hoof the ball' team. they should have had 2 goals in the second half,thank god for O'Hara

Still though, 5 points clear!!!

Cant wait for Thursday!!!!!!!!

sligoman
23/07/2005, 9:46 PM
O Grady was in the stands,suspended.

Yeah, I seen him there but just wasn't sure why he wasn't on the pitch

roversforever
23/07/2005, 10:13 PM
i disagree about the strikers.i was shocked that mct was dropped,as id say most people were.people were shouting abuse at sean flannery which i feel was undeserved.granted he didn't have one of his better games but look at all he's done for us this season.i actually thought he was better than browne tonight.he worked so much harder and got more involved than browne.browne gave away a lot of needless free kicks and for the time being id stick with mct and sean up front.

roversforever
23/07/2005, 10:30 PM
p.duddy,you are not welcome in the showgrounds again.you are a disgrace.would it be possible for the FAI to arrange to keep this clown away from us before he ruins our chances of winning the league?

Petmuller
24/07/2005, 7:34 AM
I thought we started with the correct strike force last night only problem was that we didn't have the players with the supply qualities to feed the strikers. For such a pairing I think we'd need someone of the calibre of Colin Heffernan to get the ball into them. Sadly we lack that type of quality.
Last night I felt we didn't concentrate enough on the surface play, too much up and under stuff which really played into the hands of the opposition. We have to try and get the ball down more and go at the visitors. Sean has moaned that teams come to the showgrounds and close up shop, this being the case we have to draw them out with a patient build up which is something we can do if our game plan were to incorporate it. Rush football only serves one purpose and that's to make mistakes quicker and give away valued possession.
I still think in games such as last night it would be a better option to play three forwards, dropping off McT with him exploiting the hole the two big lads generate. There's loads of options there and really Sean is spoilt for choice.
Nonetheless a good result last night especially with the Dubs slipping up with the intune Cats. Five between us going into Thursday's encounter. I don't think it will be a cracker but we're good enough for at least a share of the spoils.

TopOfTheLeague
24/07/2005, 9:12 AM
i'd definetly go with sean and browne next game they should cause the dubs all sort of problems let them act as battering rams for 60 mins and then bring mc t on to finish them off :D

Da Real Rover
24/07/2005, 10:26 AM
Flannery just isnt a threat, hes got no penetration or pace. He does give the defenders a massive pain in the ass but no real threat. Browne and him are to alike to play together, ya need Saint Paul. A bit like Toshack and keegan ya need forwards with contrasting styles. So either drop Browne or Flannery but either way there both good at what they do.

redman
24/07/2005, 10:57 AM
results really went our way last night although I see Cobh got a last minute winner!

In the absence of Conor O'Grady I was concerned with how our midfield played. It was just too easy for Kildare to play through us. Our midfield was just not tight enough and failed to supply our front men. As a result the strikers were having to play very deep.

I thought Raf yet again was outstanding and would have got my man of the match. Although I certainly dont begrudge O'Hara the award.

I would have to say that we were lucky too take all 3 points as Kildare had 3 great opportunities to score. However you have to have that bit of luck and in my opinion Rovers have had their share of it this season so far. Thank God.

By the way I know its a cliche but that ref was a disgrace!!! although he did give us one or two strange decisions too...as one fan shouted at the bald lines man, on the stand side, in the second half ' get that f***ing hair out of your eyes son'

nephin
24/07/2005, 1:02 PM
We did enough to deserve the 3 points. Started off very slow. The defence was a bit shaky at the start I thought but once we got the goal we started playing better. Without O'Grady the center of midfield was very poor in my opinion. We played far too deep at times. O'Hara was outstanding as ever.
Browne looked tired but I think he will be a great player once he gets fit. Flannery wasn't his best last night but certainly did not deserve the abuse from some of our own fans. It doesn't help when people keep shouting "take him off". Sean was livid with this and rightly so.
Ref was awful so no change there. Not a great performance but a win is a win. The quicker we get out of this bloody league the better.
Bring on the dubs!!