PDA

View Full Version : Dublin strips...

patsh
23/07/2005, 6:52 PM
$h€l$ have got a light blue/dark blue combination strip now....

UCD, CHFDCFC - 1st strip
Bohs, $h€l$ - 2nd strip

Has any other Dublin club got the same?
All cashing in on the thugball "Dubs" run to the provincial title before their inevitable hammering by Kerry or an Ulster team?

Bald Student
23/07/2005, 6:54 PM
UCD is in existance 150 years at this stage and we have never changed our college colours. Since we were here first can we accuse the Dubs of cashing in on us?

patsh
23/07/2005, 7:05 PM
UCD is in existance 150 years at this stage and we have never changed our college colours. Since we were here first can we accuse the Dubs of cashing in on us?
I dunno....
Where did the l blue/d blue combination come from?

Just think it's kind of funny that Bohs/$h€l$ are copying Seery's marketing plan........

Drumcondra Red
23/07/2005, 7:26 PM
We've had a sky blue shirt before...

Bald Student
23/07/2005, 7:39 PM
I can't answer your question fully but here's a brief history of sports in UCD. It was in the 1909-1910 academic year thet the colours were adopted..............
http://www.ucd.ie/150/sport.htm...............

Just think it's kind of funny that Bohs/$h€l$ are copying Seery's marketing planThat's fair enough if you want to hold that opinion. I don't think it applies to UCD though.............

Poor Student
23/07/2005, 8:50 PM
Are you suggesting UCD have a blue strip to cash in on Dublin's semi successful Gaelic football run? :confused:

Philo
23/07/2005, 9:03 PM
I was never in favour of Bohs switching to the Blue Dubs style away jersey. But these days I couldn't care less. If it sells a few more than the old white and yellow away strips it can't be all bad, so who gives a crap what anyone else thinks.

patsh
24/07/2005, 10:44 AM
Are you suggesting UCD have a blue strip to cash in on Dublin's semi successful Gaelic football run? :confused:
No. I was simply pointing out that 4 Dub clubs now use that strip, and that the big pub and $h€l$ seem to be copying Seery's marketing strategy.

Is the light blue/dark blue combination a mix of the Cambridge/Oxford colours?

Slash/ED
24/07/2005, 2:12 PM
If memory serves we had a similar away jersy long before Seerys master plan.

It works for him though, I saw a group of foreign students the other day, one of them had a Dublin City FC jersy on :eek:

Student Mullet
24/07/2005, 3:34 PM
Are you suggesting UCD have a blue strip to cash in on Dublin's semi successful Gaelic football run?
No.

Sorry patsh but that's clearly not true. I'll refer you to your earlier post. Specifically your use of the word 'All'.

All cashing in on the thugball "Dubs" run to the provincial title

BohDiddley
24/07/2005, 3:41 PM
Bohs had the blue before the current outbreak of bogball bliss in the metropolitan region.
It was probably in response to the cheeky HFDC attempt to hijack the city's identity -- quite right too.
I preferred the old strip, but what of it -- it's only an away jersey and probably saves Bohs fans a few bob if they are also among the misguided Hill-16ers.

pete
24/07/2005, 3:45 PM
I think dublin clubs trying to jump on GAA bandwagon is misguided gievn numerous football teams in the city. Ye need to enforce your own identies from different parts of the city.

BohDiddley
24/07/2005, 3:47 PM
I'm no historian, but AFAIK GAA did not invent Dublin blue. This GAA thing is irrelevant.
In any case, the club identity is in the home strip: do you read Longford?

De Town
24/07/2005, 4:08 PM
yes :p

TonyD
24/07/2005, 9:01 PM
Has anyone else noticed how Shels and Bohs have basically the same crest as well ? The 3 Castles, which is also the Dublin Corporation logo ?

Student Mullet
24/07/2005, 9:57 PM
There are six castles in the UCD crest. We're clearly trying to rip off the Corpo's recent good run in the area of being a corpo.

It was right in front of me. Why didn't I see it before. They're all a pack of money hungry scavengers in UCD AFC.

I'm off to support a real club with history and tradition like Cork ******, opps I mean Cork Hibs opps I mean ... ahh yee know the one I mean, whatever they're called now.

dcfcsteve
24/07/2005, 10:01 PM
I dunno....

Is it not from the colours on the Dublin City crest ?

Donegal play in Green and yellow, as that's the colours of that county's crest. Likewise with Derry (although our county crest is a bit complex, to be fair....)

TheOwl
24/07/2005, 10:07 PM
All cashing in on the thugball "Dubs" run to the provincial title before their inevitable hammering by Kerry or an Ulster team?

Teams from other counties have done this too though haven't they?

I seem to remember a red and white Cork Away top? And a blue and yellow Longford shirt?

A lot of other country teams (Galway, Waterford, Kilkenny City etc.) wear their "county colours" as their home shirt too.

This thread is pointless.

Oh and Up the Dubs!

TheOwl
24/07/2005, 10:11 PM
Has anyone else noticed how Shels and Bohs have basically the same crest as well ? The 3 Castles, which is also the Dublin Corporation logo ?

The three castles is the Dublin City seal and has been since the 13th century, it then became the Dublin Coat of Arms in 1607. Shels and Bohs are both city clubs so go figure!

Next they will be putting a shamrock or a harp on Irish crests! :rolleyes:

Macy
25/07/2005, 7:31 AM
So we should bin the colours we've had since 1924? Obviously not enough tradition in having a kit that long....

Shels had a blue away kit long before Seery decided to create a new club for a european super league didn't they?

patsh
25/07/2005, 9:39 AM
Are you following cork long?
Just wondering since you obviously don't remember cork changing their home strip to red and white on more than one occasion.
What has City changing their strip got to do with this thread? All teams change strip, but very few teams change to the same colours as 3 other sides.....

I simply asked a question regarding the fact that 4 Dub teams now have light blue/dark blue strips.
UCD have always had it, I was just wondering if $hel$/Bohs were cashing in on the bogball, just like Seery did at CHFDCFC.

patsh
25/07/2005, 9:58 AM
Cork changed the colours of their home strip to the same as their county GAA colours. I think it has everything to do with you original point.
And what 3 other teams in Cork have a red and white strip and play in the eL?
:rolleyes:

TheOwl
25/07/2005, 11:38 AM
And what 3 other teams in Cork have a red and white strip and play in the eL?

But your point was that they were "all cashing in on the thugball "Dubs" run to the provincial title."

So the "3 teams" remark is completely irrelevant. Are Shels cashing in on the success of Dublin City's run to the Premier League last season? Or UCD's win in the colours match (if there is one?)?

When you have dug yourself a hole that you can't get out of, you should stop digging. You're just embarrassing yourself at this stage.

Ringo
25/07/2005, 11:48 AM
The success of the Dublin City strip has nothing to do with Navy & Sky blue. UCD have always been in Navy & Sky blue. Bohs & Shels are jumping on the babndwagan of the GAA. Tourists do not know that the Dublin colours are Navy & Sky Blue. If the Dublin City jersey was red , it would sell just as many.

patsh
25/07/2005, 12:00 PM
But your point was that they were "all cashing in on the thugball "Dubs" run to the provincial title."

So the "3 teams" remark is completely irrelevant. Are Shels cashing in on the success of Dublin City's run to the Premier League last season? Or UCD's win in the colours match (if there is one?)?

When you have dug yourself a hole that you can't get out of, you should stop digging. You're just embarrassing yourself at this stage.
Go back and read my post again....

There is a question mark at the end of the post.
This signifies a question.
It is obviously beyond some dope like you to figure that out, so crawl back into what ever hole it is you are talking about....:rolleyes:

patsh
25/07/2005, 12:02 PM
The success of the Dublin City strip has nothing to do with Navy & Sky blue. UCD have always been in Navy & Sky blue. Bohs & Shels are jumping on the babndwagan of the GAA. Tourists do not know that the Dublin colours are Navy & Sky Blue. If the Dublin City jersey was red , it would sell just as many.
But surely Seery picked those colours as they suit the GAA fans and are readily identifiable as the Dubs colours? This was a good way of selling a lot of merchandise?

As my first post ASKED, are Bohs/$hel$ trying to cash in on this as well?

TheOwl
25/07/2005, 12:06 PM
Go back and read my post again....

There is a question mark at the end of the post.
This signifies a question.
It is obviously beyond some dope like you to figure that out, so crawl back into what ever hole it is you are talking about....:rolleyes:

So it was a question and you have been given an comprehensive answer by nearly everybody who has replied to this thread. Why are you keeping this nonsense alive?

TheOwl
25/07/2005, 12:07 PM
But surely Seery picked those colours as they suit the GAA fans and are readily identifiable as the Dubs colours? This was a good way of selling a lot of merchandise?

As my first post ASKED, are Bohs/$hel$ trying to cash in on this as well?

Ok I'll pick this quote

"Just think it's kind of funny that Bohs/$h€l$ are copying Seery's marketing plan........"

Don't see a question mark there!

Derek
25/07/2005, 12:08 PM
I love it, another thread that has Dublin City at the heart of the conversation. As a new club Dublin City are intitled to choose whatever colours they like, so why not pick the colours of the county and city they come from.

Ringo
25/07/2005, 12:34 PM
When Dublin City started O'Neills were the kit supplier & sold Fcuk all shirts. When Carroll's/Lansdowne took over they kept the colours. The sales are not affected by the colour.

We might go for green & white Hoops Or red!!

:eek: http://foot.ie/attachment.php?attachmentid=161&stc=1

patsh
25/07/2005, 12:51 PM
Why are you keeping this nonsense alive?
Given that you don't understand what a question mark is, you certainly won't get irony......

Ringo
25/07/2005, 12:58 PM
:D Found this one :eek:

Won't let me upload it :(

TheOwl
25/07/2005, 1:28 PM
Given that you don't understand what a question mark is, you certainly won't get irony......

And yet I find it deeply ironic that someone who seemingly doesn't seem to be able to grasp what a rhetorical question is can still actually pose one.

patsh
25/07/2005, 1:42 PM
And he still doesn't get it..............:p