PDA

View Full Version : Inter Milan cancel tour of England

Plastic Paddy
23/07/2005, 2:25 PM
Inter Milan cancel England tour amid safety fears (source: The Guardian)

Jon Dennis and agencies
Saturday July 23, 2005

Italian giants Inter Milan were today accused of "giving in" to terrorism after cancelling a pre-season tour of England citing safety fears.
The Serie A team had been due to visit Leicester on Monday night before three further friendlies against Crystal Palace, Norwich and Portsmouth within the next week.

Coach Roberto Mancini and owner Massimo Moratti insisted yesterday that Inter would honour their commitment to the tour, despite admitting "there's a bit of worry and fear because of what has happened".

However, Inter changed their stance today and announced they will not be coming to England after all.
A statement on Inter's official website said: "Football has taken a step back because of increasing serious events which touch the sensitivity of everyone.

"For this reason, and given the situation, the club has decided to cancel the team's tour of England."

The London mayor, Ken Livingstone, told Sky News: "The terrorists, I am sure, will be celebrating their decision."

He added: "We cannot allow the terrorists to change the way we live or they will be very close to achieving their aim."

A statement on the Crystal Palace website said: "Club officials are saddened and angered at the late decision despite the fact that only one of the games is in London and that other international sporting events in the capital including both cricket and athletics have gone ahead."

According to Norwich City's official website, the Canaries received a fax from Inter today citing the "increased threat" of terrorism as the reason.

The Norwich City chief executive, Neil Doncaster, is quoted on the site as saying: "We find Inter Milan's decision hugely disappointing and totally wrong. Pulling out at this late stage causes considerable inconvenience to our supporters.

"For Inter Milan to refuse to travel because of the threat of terrorism is simply giving in to the terrorists".

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1534912,00.html?gusrc=ticker-103704

Plastic Paddy
23/07/2005, 2:26 PM
Ah, good to see our Italian colleagues and partners standing four-square with us in the face of our adversity... no... wait... it can't be...

Would this club pull out quite so quickly if they were due to visit London for a match in the Champions (sic) League? I very much doubt it. The smell of filthy lucre would no doubt block out the smell of cordite in such a situation. And it all stinks.

"Internazionale"? I don't think so. By this action, this club has shown it is not worthy of the name. A truly pathetic, parochial, craven and disproportionate response. Thanks for your support. Not.

:ball: PP

Poor Student
23/07/2005, 2:46 PM
I think they also pulled out of a friendly with ******. I heard Simon Jordan on Sky Sports News, he was disgusted. Conor has a fair point. As one of the main partners in the war in Iraq I would reckon Italy are high on the hitlist themselves.

CollegeTillIDie
23/07/2005, 3:22 PM
To be fair to Internazionale, now during their pre-season the danger is at it's height. The citizenry have experienced two attacks on London in less than a month... or have we forgotten so soon about that?

Hopefully by the time the Champions League comes around in earnest the threat will have lessened. I would be 100% certain that a trip to Turkey for pre-season friendlies would also have been called off.

pete
23/07/2005, 4:09 PM
Even it they had fears, maybe someone should give them a map and point out where Norwich and Portsmouth are. Would have thought Milan a more likely target.

Yup, Inter would probably be safer travelling as Italy is surely next target by terrorists.

Plastic Paddy
23/07/2005, 4:19 PM
Look at my location, CTID. I have a traffic cordon at the end of my road because of the UXB at Shepherd's Bush H&C line station. I don't think I could forget what's happening even if I wanted to. But I digress.

I don't buy it (Inter's capitulation) for a second. As if those pampered pussies would be anywhere near the public transport network anyway. Crass, craven, cowardly. All three terms can be used to describe the actions of the club in withdrawing from their commitments. And what message does this send to the half-baked monsters behind the attacks in London? "Sure, go ahead, we'll let you disrupt our everyday lives". Plays right into their hands, no?

I back Conor's point on this. Given Silvio B's position just beside Bliar in GWB's back passage, surely they're just as exposed to potential terrorist actions in Milan. Well, I hope what we've seen over here never comes to pass for them, that's all I can say.

CollegeTillIDie
23/07/2005, 4:38 PM
Look at my location, CTID. I have a traffic cordon at the end of my road because of the UXB at Shepherd's Bush H&C line station. I don't think I could forget what's happening even if I wanted to. But I digress.

I don't buy it (Inter's capitulation) for a second. As if those pampered pussies would be anywhere near the public transport network anyway. Crass, craven, cowardly. All three terms can be used to describe the actions of the club in withdrawing from their commitments. And what message does this send to the half-baked monsters behind the attacks in London? "Sure, go ahead, we'll let you disrupt our everyday lives". Plays right into their hands, no?

I back Conor's point on this. Given Silvio B's position just beside Bliar in GWB's back passage, surely they're just as exposed to potential terrorist actions in Milan. Well, I hope what we've seen over here never comes to pass for them, that's all I can say.

What you say about Italy is spot on too. However we are talking about Inter a club that will have no revenue from their next three home games in Europe because of the appalling behaviour of some of their so called support.

thecorner
23/07/2005, 5:32 PM
Jordan was left fuming and he is ready to instigate legal action against the Italians, as they were due to play Palace as part of the deal which saw Gonzalo Sorondo and Nicola Ventola arrive at the club last season.

"Our situation is very different from the three other clubs where we did a deal where we spent £2.5 million on players and part of that deal was that they would come and play a game," he told Sky Sports News.

"So our feelings are more acute than those of Norwich, Leicester and Portsmouth because they [Inter] are in breach of agreement that transcends from a transfer when we signed two players from them.

"Looking at their motives and sentiments, I think it is pathetic, you have England v Australia playing in the middle of London and we are in the suburbs.

"It is cowardly, things are going on day to day, and they are going to allow terrorists to dictate to people.

"It is a very sad indictment of Italian football.

"I'll sue them, take that as given and their decision will prove expensive for them."

Metrostars
23/07/2005, 5:36 PM
The same thing happened here after 9/11, a mexican side (Chivas I think) were due to play the Metros a week later but theyed pull out.

CollegeTillIDie
23/07/2005, 6:44 PM
Jordan was left fuming and he is ready to instigate legal action against the Italians, as they were due to play Palace as part of the deal which saw Gonzalo Sorondo and Nicola Ventola arrive at the club last season.

"Our situation is very different from the three other clubs where we did a deal where we spent £2.5 million on players and part of that deal was that they would come and play a game," he told Sky Sports News.

"So our feelings are more acute than those of Norwich, Leicester and Portsmouth because they [Inter] are in breach of agreement that transcends from a transfer when we signed two players from them.

"Looking at their motives and sentiments, I think it is pathetic, you have England v Australia playing in the middle of London and we are in the suburbs.

"It is cowardly, things are going on day to day, and they are going to allow terrorists to dictate to people.

"It is a very sad indictment of Italian football.

"I'll sue them, take that as given and their decision will prove expensive for them."

Yes but Selhurst Park is in Streatham and that is a dodgy area even under normal circumstances :D

Plastic Paddy
23/07/2005, 8:45 PM
Yes but Selhurst Park is in Streatham and that is a dodgy area even under normal circumstances :D

Selhurst actually, but it's still just as dodgy. Sarf London as a whole is like that. :eek:

Good point, well made... :D

liam88
23/07/2005, 9:51 PM
Cowards.
EOS.

thecorner
23/07/2005, 10:50 PM
Selhurst actually, but it's still just as dodgy. Sarf London as a whole is like that. :eek:

Good point, well made... :D

over at palace a few times and it seemed ok to me :confused:

Superhoops
23/07/2005, 11:55 PM
Cowards.
EOS.
Why should they take any chances?

By the same reasoning, would you call anyone in London who has stopped travellling by tube or bus a coward?

Plastic Paddy
24/07/2005, 9:03 AM
over at palace a few times and it seemed ok to me :confused:

It's a London thing and done in jest. Never cross the river - cab drivers famously won't do it - and Norf Lahndaners and Sarf Lahndaners have a mutual disrespect for each other's "manors". That said, we in west London are better than all the others by far. And don't even ask about the East End... :eek: ;) :D

Why should they take any chances?

See my posts above for what the average Londoner thinks of the Internazionale club right now (if my straw poll of about ten of my friends last night down the pub is anything to go by). And I've put it politely, to say the least.

By the same reasoning, would you call anyone in London who has stopped travellling by tube or bus a coward?

It's not the same reasoning at all. It's not as if our Italian "friends" were going to be using the tube or bus to travel between each game now, is it? Therein lies the rub.

Plastic Paddy
24/07/2005, 1:22 PM
:rolleyes: PP

---

Inter tour back on after rethink (source: BBC Sport)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4711717.stm

Sports minister Richard Caborn said Inter Milan will fly to England on Sunday for their pre-season tour.

Inter were criticised for scrapping the four-game tour over security fears, but Caborn has since held talks with Italian sports minister Mario Pescante. "Pescante spoke to the Italian football association and they made representations to Inter," said Caborn. "They came back saying all things being equal the tour would be on this morning. They're flying out on Sunday."

The Italians said there had been a misunderstanding and insisted they had taken their initial stance so as not to "further stretch the already severely occupied security services".

Signor Giancarlo Aragona, the Italian ambassador in London, told BBC Sport that the tour would go ahead. He added Inter had been involved in discussions with security services over the safety of the trip. "There was some confusion, they wanted to make sure the conditions on both sides were correct. They wanted to check the feasibility," he said.

Inter are scheduled to play Leicester at the Walkers Stadium on Monday, Palace on Wednesday and Norwich on Friday night at Carrow Road. They will then round off their brief tour at Portsmouth on Sunday.

Leicester were investigating the possibility of compensation given Inter's cancellation would have cost them over £250,000.

Portsmouth had already sold 12,500 tickets for their game and Crystal Palace had organised the fixture to celebrate their centenary.

All four clubs expressed their anger at Inter's decision, with Norwich's chief executive Neil Doncaster accusing them of "giving in to terrorists".

Leicester chief executive Tim Davies said on Sunday he had not given up hope of Monday's game taking place. If the match does not go ahead, Davies said the Foxes could seek damages from Inter of around £250,000.

Palace chairman Simon Jordan and Portsmouth counterpart Milan Mandaric previously registered their unhappiness with Inter. "You have to take into consideration people's safety but they are not going to be in the West End (of London)," said Jordan. "They could have flown into Gatwick Airport and stayed in Croydon, miles away from anywhere considered to be a danger area."

Mandaric added: "No directive has come from the Home Office advising it is unsafe to travel and Portsmouth is a provincial city with lovely people. We are sad as a club about this decision but for me the real sorrow is for our fans who have looked forward and paid for this curtain raiser relishing the chance of a big Italian side coming to Fratton Park."

Culture secretary Tessa Jowell said Inter's decision to pull out would mystify football fans. "Inter Milan's decision will, I'm sure, baffle millions of football fans who will be undeterred in supporting their teams on the terraces when the new season starts," she said.

sligoman
24/07/2005, 1:32 PM
And don't even ask about the East End... :eek: ;) :D

What about the east end? :confused: :D