PDA

View Full Version : The phrase that pays !!

Pages : [1] 2

A face
23/07/2005, 1:55 PM
Right lads ..... here it is !!

The phrase that pays ...... in 20 or less words ..... come up with a phrase that would go some way to converting barstoolers to go to eircom League games.

Something like this ....

Make the choice and get out and support your own team, it’ll be the best move you make all week !!

But better !! :p

sligoman
23/07/2005, 1:57 PM
Get off yer arse and support your local team

:D

Anto McC
23/07/2005, 2:03 PM
"if it's the standard of football your after,why don't you support Brazil"

MariborKev
23/07/2005, 2:20 PM
Choose summer soccer. Choose to be there. Choose singing your heart out. Choose goals and Tifo flagpoles. Choose the eircom League.

MariborKev
23/07/2005, 2:28 PM
"The eircom League; try finding atmosphere like this in your local"

To fit under crowd pic

sligoman
23/07/2005, 2:30 PM
(ii) wtf is 'tifo'

TIFO (http://www.tifo.it/) ;)

A face
23/07/2005, 2:34 PM
TIFO (http://www.tifo.it/) ;)

Ah he knows what they are alright .... hes waved one often enough. Hes saying that joe 'the man on the street' barstooler wont know !!

kdjaC
23/07/2005, 3:59 PM
converting barstoolers to go to eircom League games.

No thanks tbh wouldnt want fans like that at Pats games for instance Shels done well getting in some barstoolers , turned on the team after about 20 minutes :D

Leave them to the bar stool.

kdjac

pete
23/07/2005, 4:01 PM
Choose summer soccer. Choose to be there. Choose singing your heart out. Choose goals and Tifo flagpoles. Choose the eircom League.

I think that has a lot of the 'hits' but maybe not the phrase.

Need to Include:
- Summer football
- Professional players
- Live, Atmosphere, being there etc...
- Community, Support your own
- Improved quality, European results against teams people have heard of ...Aberdeen, Kaiserslauten, Hadjuk Split, Malmo etc...

Any advertising campaign would also include footage/pictures of summer evenings, the good parts of grounds, tifo flags, drums, fans... Also need to profile eL stars so people know who they are where they've come from.

Who is the target market though?

Da Real Rover
23/07/2005, 5:19 PM
No no no, a thousand nos, that would amount to a suggestion that the eL has a poor standard.

It's like that 7 Up ad that says their new product has got no caffeine calories etc. and is '7 Up free'. That tells me that normal 7 Up is full of crap that does no good...
Wouldnt agree with that at all, we're never going to get people to come to games for eircom league quality. I know that if that was the case id be watching La Liga now instead of heading down the road ta watch Kildare County play. Something to do with, you support your country cause its your country, now support your team cause its your team.

Slash/ED
23/07/2005, 5:39 PM
"Olly wants your money and he wants it now"

Drumcondra Red
23/07/2005, 5:44 PM
"You'll get to see Anto McC take his shirt off after a goal..." ;)

Anto McC
23/07/2005, 5:52 PM
"You'll get to see Anto McC take his shirt off after a goal..." ;)

Yeah i vote for this one :D

centre mid
23/07/2005, 6:46 PM
Honesty is always the best policy in advertising :D

patsh
23/07/2005, 7:07 PM
...and looks like he is going to need every cent of it...

Remember people, the next time you pay into Tolka, ASK FOR A RECIEPT....

Dyl10
23/07/2005, 7:49 PM
I think players with international caps have to be brought in to show that they are not just mickey mouse players playing in the league e.g Ndo, Moore, Foley, Farelly

GavinZac
23/07/2005, 7:52 PM
"You'll get to see Anto McC

who? :confused:

GavinZac
23/07/2005, 7:53 PM
I think players with international caps have to be brought in to show that they are not just mickey mouse players playing in the league e.g Ndo, Moore, Foley, Farelly

ok, the dubs can keep doing that, we'll stick to signing and rearing the best young players available, we'll see who gets the best support.

Dyl10
23/07/2005, 8:07 PM
ok, the dubs can keep doing that, we'll stick to signing and rearing the best young players available, we'll see who gets the best support.

What the **** does that have to do with an add campaign?

willymccann
23/07/2005, 9:16 PM
why? why not? Eircom league - your league and no one else's - support that's 100%

sligoman
23/07/2005, 9:34 PM
It's 100% Irish and it's coming to a ground near you! The EIRCOM LEAGUE, football, right on your doorstep.

Battery Rover
23/07/2005, 10:07 PM
It's 100% Irish and it's coming to a ground near you! The EIRCOM LEAGUE, football, right on your doorstep.

Sounds good :)

Dyl10
23/07/2005, 10:29 PM

It is good but myself i fell that its not exactly going to get barstoolers to start coming to the games

Slash/ED
23/07/2005, 10:31 PM
Well no phrase alone is going to do that. Any ads for the league would all be about increasing the exposure of the league and get the average people on the street thinking about it and aware of what's going on. Most of the time the league completley slips under the radar of the average man off the street and so they never so much as think of coming to games.

Dyl10
23/07/2005, 10:39 PM
I think the best way to pull people to the games is to constantly promote the european games and to highlight the european opponents

sligoman
23/07/2005, 10:47 PM
Sounds good :)

Thank you ;)

sonofstan
24/07/2005, 2:23 AM
Picture of a few fat guys in front of a telly. Beside it some crowd shot, preferably with flares, taken of some of the more colourful fans eg. City, Pats, Rovers etc. Caption is 'Which ones are real fans? Support your local club'.

Crummy. Cheesy. But at least it gets the needle in a little.

My hangover is slightly better.

good stuff - could develop it a bit with something like this; picture of gormless half wit in Man U shirt saying ' I'm from Sligo ....' cut to crowd at the showgrounds chanting; picture of other GHW in ****** shirt going 'I'm from Dublin and I support a team in another country' Cut to Dalymount/Richer/ Tolka .... and so on

GavinZac
24/07/2005, 2:34 AM
What the **** does that have to do with an add campaign?

well the add (sic) campaign would be aimed at improving support; cork city have the best support in the league and are not signing 36 year old almost-were's. GAA fans dont watch the games in their tens of thousands because one of the players used to play at a better level years ago. they watch them because they relate to the team. in Cork at least, former just-abouts (ie Liam O'Brien) are treated with contempt, and exciting young talents like John o Flynn are declared as gods on earth. i reckon the same principle would apply to anywhere in ireland; showcasing the best young talents rather than saying "look we got a former cameroon squad member to sign for us!!!" would work best.

maybe im wrong, but generally a marketing manager would look at the best performing competition and adopt their approach.

GavinZac
24/07/2005, 2:40 AM
I think the best way to pull people to the games is to constantly promote the european games and to highlight the european opponents

highlighting the successes is obviously the way forward, but in most average people's (think bertie "man yoos biggest fan" ahern's) point of view, bucharest are a go no where team from romania and if shels lose to them any good work against glentoran (and the IFA league has a worse rep here than the eL), will mean nothing.

Da Real Rover
24/07/2005, 10:46 AM
good stuff - could develop it a bit with something like this; picture of gormless half wit in Man U shirt saying ' I'm from Sligo ....' cut to crowd at the showgrounds chanting; picture of other GHW in ****** shirt going 'I'm from Dublin and I support a team in another country' Cut to Dalymount/Richer/ Tolka .... and so on
probably the best so far, ya need pictures.

BohDiddley
24/07/2005, 11:15 AM
Have to keep it positive. No point in knocking the barstoolers. Part of their problem with EL is that it makes them feel inadequate as football supporters, because in their hearts they know theirs is a plastic passion.

Short & sweet ...

KEEP IT REAL

or

HERE. NOW. REAL FOOTBALL FOR REAL FANS

or

YOUR HOME GAME

These for posters with appropriate images of photogenic players, i.e. Kevin Hunt, not Jason Byrne :p, or if we're talking radio then background cheering, chants etc.

PS: red is the most eye-catching colour, so of course Bohs would have to figure in any poster :D

sligoman
24/07/2005, 12:56 PM
PS: red is the most eye-catching colour, so of course Bohs would have to figure in any poster :D

Nah, we're more Red than ye! :p :D

BohDiddley
24/07/2005, 3:25 PM
Nah, we're more Red than ye! :p :D
Yes, but yours is a candy, girly red. :p
I'm sure all the creatives in the ad agency will agree we're lookin' for somethin a bit more butch here.

Da Real Rover
24/07/2005, 3:44 PM
Yes, but yours is a candy, girly red. :p
I'm sure all the creatives in the ad agency will agree we're lookin' for somethin a bit more butch here.
Sounds like your red is trying to over compensate for something.

BohDiddley
24/07/2005, 3:50 PM
Right, and understated pastels are all the rage these days in Sligo ;)

Réiteoir
24/07/2005, 3:51 PM
Come And See The Bigger Picture

The eircom League - the best sport Bar none

Drumcondra Red
24/07/2005, 4:13 PM
And get rid of that shíte music they had on those ads on the radio!!! And a decent theme tune for EL weekly would help!!!

the 12 th man
24/07/2005, 6:14 PM
The bar has just been raised-its official-
Eircom League........seeing is believing

Slash/ED
24/07/2005, 6:28 PM
Why not follow the Sky model and simply completley lie

"The Eircom League, easily the best league in the world bar none"

Troy.McClure
24/07/2005, 7:28 PM
Get off yer arse and support your local team

:D

$hite, thats exactly what I was going to say :D

TheOwl
24/07/2005, 8:18 PM
How about something like......

"An Irish team in the Champions League? Be there when it happens, support the Eircom League."

You could make this a running theme.

"Seeing your team come back from two down to win 3-2? Be there when it happens, support the Eircom League."

"The roar of the crowd when the teams come out? Be there when it happens, support the Eircom League."

"Ollie Byrne having jovial frolics with Shamrock Rovers fans? Be there when it happens, support the Eircom League."

The last one in particular, will have the punters coming out in droves!

Dyl10
24/07/2005, 9:43 PM
Gavinzac i disagree with pretty much all you points

GAA fans dont watch the games in their tens of thousands because one of their players played at a higher level years ago

I thought GAA in Ireland was the highest level.

exciting young talents like John o Flynn are declared as gods on earth. i reckon the same principle would apply to anywhere in ireland; showcasing the best young talents rather than saying "look we got a former cameroon squad member to sign for us!!!" would work best.

No offence to Flynnie but saying things like definatley dosn't raise the opinion of outsiders because from what I know John o'flynn and Dan Murray never played a first team game for a good 3rd division/bad 2nd division team in peterborough utd yet they come home and are some of the best players in the league! now if you could get across the point that John o'flynn is better than Dominic Foley or Georgie O'C is better than Alan Moore(I beleive both cases are true) well then you would be on to something ;)

they watch them because they relate to the team. in Cork at least, former just-abouts (ie Liam O'Brien) are treated with contempt, and
maybe im wrong, but generally a marketing manager would look at the best performing competition and adopt their approach

bucharest are a go no where team from romania

I thought someone said they were Uefa cup 1/4 finalists last year??? but this wasn't what i meant, I meant results like Cork beating the swedish champions and knocking out a good dutch and not to mention Shells beating croation champions and holding La Liga highfliers to 0-0 draw

dcfcsteve
24/07/2005, 9:56 PM
I think the best route would be to trade on the famous players who started off in the EL. That allows you to establish the league's credibility whilst tapping into the barstooler's interest in other leagues.

Every barstooler would love to be able to claim that they 'discovered' Keano, McGrath, Ronnie Whelan etc when they were playing for their Eircom League clubs, and could tell "even then" that they were set for the big time. There's something in human (particularly male) psychology that loves knowing and seeing things before anyone else. Make us feel superior/smarter..

Anyhoo - I'd have an ad that did a 'then and now' of the big names who started in the EL, and then finished up with something along the lines of one of the below :

"Eircom League football. See tomorrow's legends today...."

"Be first to see Ireland's finest, with the Eircom League..."

"The new stars of Irish football - on your doorstep. The Eircom League"

garykelly
25/07/2005, 8:47 AM
"The Eircom League, becuase it counts to be Irish"

EnDai
25/07/2005, 8:55 AM
The Eircon League - Because your barstooling mate's a fat cvnt with no clue and you're better than him really!

Buller
25/07/2005, 9:10 AM
There's something in human (particularly male) psychology that loves knowing and seeing things before anyone else. Make us feel superior/smarter..
FACT!!!
;)

Macy
25/07/2005, 9:25 AM
It's not as bad as you think

Actually thinking about it, I think there were ad's doing the rounds years ago with that line.... might have been a wws special.... :D

fosterdollar
25/07/2005, 9:40 AM
The Eircon League
Was that intentional?

pete
25/07/2005, 10:03 AM
The irish media are starting to latch onto the UK media obcession with fan owned clubs & regular fans fighting back against the huge football wages. I wonder is there anyway to attach the eL to that...

EnDai
25/07/2005, 10:03 AM
Actually a typo! Usually its not, but on this occassion it is!