PDA

View Full Version : City 3, Rovers Nil

Fair_play_boy
22/07/2005, 10:35 PM
That was the strangest night at the Cross in a while.
Strange sight 1: Dan Murray making a run that would have done Paulo Rossi proud, giving a sweet pass to Flynnie who set up Gamble's goal.
Strange sight 2: Bringing Fenn on for Greg, when he was playing well.
Strange sight 3: McNulty watching the ball float over him, and reacting only when the ball hit the crossbar.
Strange sight 4: the family enclosure antagonising the Rovers fans
Strange sight 5: Two overweight Rovers guys chasing a kid across the St. Annes end just before the second goal.
I think we played badly for long periods tonight, and in between we were absolutely brilliant, if that makes any sense.
With Shels being held to a draw by Bray, that puts us 11 points ahead of them. If they hold their nerve, they should qualify for the Inter-Toto Cup, if it is still being played in 2006. :D

yan
22/07/2005, 10:44 PM
mc nulty was wrong footed for the shot off the ball due to a deflection,

city played very ell at times although flynnie got isolated at times up front when georgie dropped back a bit,

could have won by alot more,

flynnie 1 on 1
george header
george pen!!!
billy could have scored only he dived!!

on a sour note, rovers fans left there club down tonite,

not only did they cause trouble by throwing bottles etc at the st annes end but they were so quiet for long periods!!!

A face
23/07/2005, 1:29 AM
On a sour note, rovers fans left there club down tonite,

not only did they cause trouble by throwing bottles etc at the st annes end but they were so quiet for long periods!!!

Nio way ...... not a chance there fella !!

Rovers fans were grand tonight .... THE best support for a team bottom of the table this league has ever seen. .......... FACT

Rovers fans reacted to some 'jibbes' and 'tuants' made towards them but that was it (in the ground)

The problem was .... the guards .... if they thought there was going to be trouble then WHERE were they before hand ???

THe Rovers fans weregrand considering the trouble/strife they got from the home fans !!

Cork City fans would have bottled it if anything had happened anyway !!

thecorner
23/07/2005, 10:23 AM
a face you must have definitly had the blinkers on last night

RedX
23/07/2005, 10:48 AM
Cork City fans would have bottled it if anything had happened anyway !!

You are some City fan with a comment like that.. :rolleyes:

SSS
23/07/2005, 10:58 AM

The team were on the rack for a while and needed another striker - I don't think it was Greg was poor, but Fenn's appearance turned the game in our favour again. He was superb again.

Peadar
23/07/2005, 12:55 PM
I think we played badly for long periods tonight, and in between we were absolutely brilliant, if that makes any sense.

When we were good we were outstanding!
The best team football I've ever seen in this league.
I've seen teams with some great players but so many City players played well last night, it truely was a brilliant display of what we are capable of.
Rovers offered so little resistance in the first half that is was no surprise the game went flat. Too many bodies in midfield and Flynnie isolated up front resulted in few clearcut chances.

While Greg had done well throughout, the introduction of Fenn gave us a real threat going forward. Gamble was brilliant when he had to be.
Georgie did well but he is too good a player to lack such composure from the spot. He got under the ball and appeared to be leaning back.

The run from Dan Murray was class! :)
Hope he doesn't get any ideas though, a better team will catch him out if he tries that too often.
He made his way into the box but was beaten to the header by Gamble.
A goal for Dan would have iced a neat passage of play from him.

Overall I though that Hancock did well. He let the game flow when he could.
A big worry for Rovers seems to be their lack of fight.
They'll be turned over by everyone unless they show a bit more aggression.

Rovers fans were grand tonight .... THE best support for a team bottom of the table this league has ever seen. .......... FACT

I agree 100% with this!
They were a credit to the club until a few allowed themselves to be wound up. They sang and chanted for almost the entire game.
Such a pity that it was spoiled by a few, with many home fans saying "sure what more would you expect from Rovers!?"

patsh
23/07/2005, 1:45 PM
Must have been the most hardest 3 nil ever achieved.
We were terrible at times last night, and brilliant at other times.

Thought the Rovers fans were great to be honest, Biggest and best away support this season, puts the big pub and all the other pathetic support to shame, good support all the way through, and from the Shed, it looked like a few muppets in the St. Anne's end were doing their best to wind them up as much as possible.
Though the Echo did report incidents in the Horseshoe and Tory Top????
You'll always get a few arseh*les, and Rovers seem to have a few more than most, but their support was fantastic for a team that was shocking.

Colm
23/07/2005, 2:01 PM
Thought the Rovers fans were great to be honest, Biggest and best away support this season, puts the big pub and all the other pathetic support to shame, good support all the way through, and from the Shed, it looked like a few muppets in the St. Anne's end were doing their best to wind them up as much as possible.
You'll always get a few arseh*les, and Rovers seem to have a few more than most, but their support was fantastic for a team that was shocking.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

I always say that ourselves, Derry and Rovers are the only clubs who can be proud of their support. Bohs are good from time to time too but nearly all other clubs are a joke.

cheekyais
23/07/2005, 2:51 PM

I was in the Horseshoe after the game and the only trouble was the gardai trying 2 get a rovers fan out of the pub. In fariness he did have a few 2 many drinks taken and was'nt doing 2 much damage just annoying but they just wanted him out incase he started anything.

radar
23/07/2005, 9:48 PM
Amazing turnout by the Rovers fans. Bottom of the league due to the point deduction. That has nothing to do with the players or supporters and they deserve sympathy and credit. But Flynnys fine volley meant 3 points to City and i defend the right of our fans to celebrate. The "going down" chant will be heard long after our lifetime and an element exists within the Rovers fans who react to goals against with nastiness. You wouldnt see it from Derry fans. So i wish them the best but given the obvious pride they have in their team maybe they should try and weed out the nasty element.

GavinZac
24/07/2005, 2:07 AM
Amazing turnout by the Rovers fans. Bottom of the league due to the point deduction. That has nothing to do with the players or supporters and they deserve sympathy and credit. But Flynnys fine volley meant 3 points to City and i defend the right of our fans to celebrate. The "going down" chant will be heard long after our lifetime and an element exists within the Rovers fans who react to goals against with nastiness. You wouldnt see it from Derry fans. So i wish them the best but given the obvious pride they have in their team maybe they should try and weed out the nasty element.

credit where credit is due, rovers have a large loyal following (though i wonder how much of it is the attraction of green hoops), but as far back as i can remember they have been associated with trouble at games and after games. i pointed this out to a rovers fan on this very board and he reacted angrily as if i was talking shíte. whether or not they like to admit it, there is a violent element* if they actually admitted this element exists, ostracised themselves from it, and attempted to lose the appeal they have to Celt'c/IRA (not that they have anything to do with an armed struggle in the north but they bought all the wolfe tones albums) "hard boys", they might once and for all be recognised as a supporter body proud of their club and part of the eL community as a whole rather than a thorn in its side.

*(the only time ive been worried for my safety at a soccer game was at richmond when rovers fans crossed the stadium to come and basically scream abuse at us away fans & ignore the match in progress because their team was losing. a pint glass was thrown into our support; its fair to say the animal who threw it had consumed said pint & a few others.)

kevincronin2000
24/07/2005, 9:28 AM
The only time i feared my kids saftey was our home game versus rovers last year, when we had to relocate to another part of the stadium.

Copa Mundial
24/07/2005, 10:13 AM

Thought the atmosphere in the ground was very good.Rovers supporters are extremely passionate and sometimes that turns nasty. Their reaction after the second goal was caused by a bottle thrown in their direction from the St.Annes end of the ground.The perpetrator was apprehended.

JDB
25/07/2005, 11:15 AM
:D

This was a great move!! City took control once Fenn came on. I agree Greg was playing well but mainly in a defensive midfield role - we needed some creativity which Fenn provided in spades. Even Georgie started playing better after huffing and puffing for most of the game up to then. Some of the stuff Fenn did on Friday night was out of this world - a joy to watch.

NY Hoop
25/07/2005, 12:40 PM
on a sour note, rovers fans left there club down tonite,

not only did they cause trouble by throwing bottles etc at the st annes end but they were so quiet for long periods!!![/QUOTE]

You should write for the herag/echo. By bringing the biggest support this season and by singing throughout the game is letting our club down?????

We couldnt hear anything from the shed particularly when we had a good spell when Paddy hit the crossbar. Fair play to Damien for coming over at the end. Nice gesture from a true Hoop.

BTW in the programme Dave Galvin (a Dub) mentions that there have been 14 away victories in Europe and then bizzarely lists 13 of them leaving our Polish victory out :p

KOH

kingcolers
25/07/2005, 2:16 PM
How many rovers fans were at the game?

And are we still missing kevin doyle? Seem to be doing pretty well without him...it's a nice luxury to be able to pick holes in a three-nil win...

Éanna
25/07/2005, 2:19 PM
How many rovers fans were at the game?over 100, I'd say 150 at least.

And are we still missing kevin doyle? :confused: Have you been living in a cave for the past while or something?!

pete
25/07/2005, 2:35 PM
:confused: Have you been living in a cave for the past while or something?!

I think he meant "were we missing his goals..."

JDB
25/07/2005, 2:50 PM
How many rovers fans were at the game?

And are we still missing kevin doyle? Seem to be doing pretty well without him...it's a nice luxury to be able to pick holes in a three-nil win...

Indeed - should've been 3-0 at half time [JOF's miss and the penalty] - and could've been 4 [Murphy's brilliant save form Georgie's header]. Could've been 7 by the end - we were lining up to score in the last ten minutes - Fenn, Woods, Georgie. We made a bit of a meal of it in the first 15 mins of the second half but once Fenn came on it was all one way traffic... Happy days...

mypost
26/07/2005, 2:48 AM
When we were good we were outstanding!
The best team football I've ever seen in this league.
I've seen teams with some great players but so many City players played well last night, it truely was a brilliant display of what we are capable of.

While Greg had done well throughout, the introduction of Fenn gave us a real threat going forward. Gamble was brilliant when he had to be.
Georgie did well but he is too good a player to lack such composure from the spot. He got under the ball and appeared to be leaning back.

The run from Dan Murray was class! :)

It's easy for the league leaders to put on a "brilliant display" when beating the league's bottom side at home. If ever there was a home banker this season, Cork-Rovers was it. Yous have a tricky looking game at Pats next, which, depending on which Pats side turns up, may be a banana skin. Beating Rovers after all, is hardly an achievement these days. It's hardly worth getting excited about. Even Finn Harps do it! :rolleyes:

Peadar
26/07/2005, 7:58 AM
It's easy for the league leaders to put on a "brilliant display" when beating the league's bottom side at home.

I can't agree with that because they're the teams that are likely to put 10 men behind the ball and stifle your play. We've seen Longford do this and if Rovers were more aware of their perilous position, they may well have employed those very same tactics.
I think you're just jealous, to be honest.

I don't see St. Pats as a threat to us since we've played our best football away from home, which is predominantly Dublin. (Incl. North County Dublin Drogs and South County Dublin Bray)

over 100, I'd say 150 at least.

I think this is too generous.
They took up the width of their section but were well spread out and no where near filled the section.
50 to 60 from where I was sitting almost directly across from them.

kingcolers
26/07/2005, 8:20 AM
:confused: Have you been living in a cave for the past while or something?!

It was a rhetorical question, intended to stimulate debate... ;)

Hecko
26/07/2005, 10:02 AM
Lads - coudln't get to the game on Friday. did John Spillane play beforehand? Was he any good?

WeAreRovers
26/07/2005, 10:47 AM
I think this is too generous.
They took up the width of their section but were well spread out and no where near filled the section.
50 to 60 from where I was sitting almost directly across from them.

Just short of 200 actually - and yes I did count.

I wouldn't worry about Pats, they're as bad as us. Cork should win the league easy as long as Rico doesn't get the yips.

KOH

Peadar
26/07/2005, 10:56 AM
Just short of 200 actually - and yes I did count.

Obviously you had more time on your hands than I did and went to the trouble of counting them but it just didn't look like that to me.
Purely an observation though.

Well done on contributing to the atmosphere throughout.
For the most part, you were a credit to the league.
Just unfortunate that the bottle throwing incident almost ruined that.
I hope you'll be satisfied that removing the culprit was appropriate and adequate? Like every club, we have the odd "supporter" who fails to behave responsibly but as you would have seen, we do our best to control these rare situations.
When all the banter is said and done, I hope you survive because you would be a big loss to the league.

Feel free to comment on our performance. ;)

WeAreRovers
26/07/2005, 11:22 AM
I'm a sad git Peadar and tend to do a rough count of our away support.
It was our best turn-out in Cork for a long while, both in quantity and quality.

The stewards and cops handled the bottle-throwing incident very well and your performance was the best I've seen all season.

KOH

Troy.McClure
26/07/2005, 12:39 PM
It was a rhetorical question, intended to stimulate debate

How can a rhetorical question stimulate debate if you're not supposed to be able to answer it? :confused: :eek: :o

Steveoc
26/07/2005, 1:54 PM
Lads - coudln't get to the game on Friday. did John Spillane play beforehand? Was he any good?

John Spillane plays on Thursday - before & at half-time for the UEFA Cup game.

kingcolers
26/07/2005, 2:16 PM
How can a rhetorical question stimulate debate if you're not supposed to be able to answer it? :confused: :eek: :o

Because you don't have to answer the question directly...just comment on the opinion inferred. All I was saying that the team seems to be thriving despite Doyle's departure...happy days...

mypost
27/07/2005, 4:57 AM
I can't agree with that because they're the teams that are likely to put 10 men behind the ball and stifle your play. We've seen Longford do this and if Rovers were more aware of their perilous position, they may well have employed those very same tactics.

Well, that was er, the game plan, but as we let one in after 3 minutes, it had to be abandoned. So of course, we made yous look like world-beaters. We made Finn Harps look world-beaters too at Dalymount, and they've celebrated that result by going on holiday, and losing 4 straight games since.

Anyone who's top of the table can put on a brilliant display when winning against the *table-proppers, at home.

*By default.

I don't see St. Pats as a threat to us since we've played our best football away from home, which is predominantly Dublin.

Getting coc-ky now are ye?

You didn't see UCD, Bray and Longford as a threat at the Cross either did you? All three got a point there. You didn't see Waterford as a threat in the Munster derby, and they also got a point, their last for 6 weeks. Derry didn't see Pats as a threat either when they went to the North Pole, and yet Pats are one of only two sides to come away from there with a point so far. You scraped a win in Bray, and Drogheda. You won't win away all the time. Pats are scrapping for points near the bottom, and yous have a rough-looking game on paper, straight after winning a round in Europe. A long trip up to Dublin is hardly what you need after it. Pats will be fresher having had 9 days rest before the game, and may provide an unwelcome banana skin for yous.