PDA

View Full Version : Derry City 3-0 UCD

CollegeTillIDie
22/07/2005, 7:20 PM
Surprisingly there has been some commentary slots on this game albeit short ones..... not so surprisingly Mark Farren has scored to make it 1-0 to Occupied Territories XI :(

Poor Student
22/07/2005, 7:21 PM
Sounds like it was a mistake by Micko. :mad:

CollegeTillIDie
22/07/2005, 7:37 PM
Sounds like it was a mistake by Micko. :mad:
Yes that seems to be the case. Just listening to the half-time summary. The commentator reckons Derry are certain to win..... :mad:

Poor Student
22/07/2005, 7:40 PM
Sounds like what McNally did against Longford in Flancare earlier this season when Myler scored. Couldn't deal with high long ball. Deffensive gaffes have cost us points this year.

Poor Student
22/07/2005, 7:47 PM
By the way I have full faith in our lads to get back into this one. We've done it several times this season and as long as there's one goal in it we can take something from the game.

Poor Student
22/07/2005, 7:53 PM
By the way I have full faith in our lads to get back into this one. We've done it several times this season and as long as there's one goal in it we can take something from the game.

Ok, that's a load of ********. 2-0 down. :(

CollegeTillIDie
22/07/2005, 8:39 PM
Ok, that's a load of ********. 2-0 down. :(
3-0 down game over goodnight goodbye :mad:

Poor Student
22/07/2005, 8:40 PM
Scored while our defence froze because the linesman flagged offside and the ref ignored. One of our lads was booked for moaning. :mad:

CollegeTillIDie
22/07/2005, 8:44 PM
Scored while our defence froze because the linesman flagged offside and the ref ignored. One of our lads was booked for moaning. :mad:
Golden rule in football....play the shagging whistle! bloody basics :mad:

Poor Student
22/07/2005, 8:46 PM
Golden rule in football....play the shagging whistle! bloody basics :mad:

You're right, still a bit annoying though. At least we were beaten by one of the best and possibly a team who could still be champions. Hopefully we avoided any injuries. He took Tony Mac off which I found a bit bizarre.

CollegeTillIDie
22/07/2005, 8:49 PM
You're right, still a bit annoying though. At least we were beaten by one of the best and possibly a team who could still be champions. Hopefully we avoided any injuries. He took Tony Mac off which I found a bit bizarre.
He took off the only player who added height to the equation and replaced him with the smallest one Brian Gannon.... Robbie Martin was only a sub he must have been either injured or dropped. Hasn't scored in a while .......

Poor Student
22/07/2005, 8:57 PM
Robbie Martin didn't play last week against Pats as he was injured. According to aertel he faced a late fitness test today. I expect him to be back in next week. He hasn't been scoring for two reasons, for one we barely score and secondly he's spent a great deal of time on the wing.

CollegeTillIDie
22/07/2005, 9:03 PM
Robbie Martin didn't play last week against Pats as he was injured. According to aertel he faced a late fitness test today. I expect him to be back in next week. He hasn't been scoring for two reasons, for one we barely score and secondly he's spent a great deal of time on the wing.
True enough but he still should have scored more than 3 goals this season in spite of our pathetic goals for tally.

Schumi
23/07/2005, 2:23 PM
Dreadful performance, we couldn't pass the ball, control the ball, head the ball or take throw-ins in any sort of competant way. :mad: It was a horrible mistake from Micko for the first goal. He headed a Derry crossfield ball from the left side of our box towards Quigley but got about half as much distance on it as he should have and a Derry plaer got onto it and passed it to Farren who had an easy enough finish. It was similar to the goal we conceded in Drogheda. Can't really complain though because they were all over us in the first half (think we barely had a shot on target!) and were killing us down our left flank.

The goal straight after half time killed it off. I'm not really sure what happened because it was down the opposite end of the ground from me, it looked like a defensive mix-up of some sort and Quigley ended up out of position and the Derry player was able to lob it over him. Robbie Martin came on soon after that I think and did well, easily our best player on the night. He's just back from injury which is why he didn't start. He caused problems for the Derry defence when he ran at them and has to start up front in future as he's been completely wasted on the wing. Tony Mac was ill according to the doctor so that's why he came off, Gannon did well on the right when he came on but I think Derry had eased off at that stage.

MariborKev
23/07/2005, 2:31 PM
Photos from last night are on

http://www.derrycityfc.net/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=Derry-City-2005-Season

Schumi were you phoning me before the game last night

Poor Student
23/07/2005, 2:37 PM
I don't like to slate Mick but he's a liability at the back. We need a left winger and a left back. Did Anto Murphy play on the right? Perhaps Tony's illness played a part in us being so poor. I hope to God he's fit next week and I hope Martin plays up front next week.

CollegeTillIDie
23/07/2005, 3:06 PM
I don't like to slate Mick but he's a liability at the back. We need a left winger and a left back. Did Anto Murphy play on the right? Perhaps Tony's illness played a part in us being so poor. I hope to God he's fit next week and I hope Martin plays up front next week.

Mick is only playing left-full because of Robbie McAuley's long term injury problems. Perhaps the time has come to call up Aaron McEniff assuming he is still with the club. Apparently a lot of the Under 21's flew the coop recently.

Bald Student
23/07/2005, 3:06 PM
Did we try to lob the keeper at any point?

http://www.derrycityfc.net/gallery/view_photo.php?full=1&set_albumName=album03&id=Beckett_spots_Martyn

Poor Student
23/07/2005, 3:11 PM
Mick is only playing left-full because of Robbie McAuley's long term injury problems.

I know that but he's just not good enough for that position.

Perhaps the time has come to call up Aaron McEniff assuming he is still with the club. Apparently a lot of the Under 21's flew the coop recently.

What? :eek: Where did you hear that? Where did they go? Know of anyone who left for sure?

CollegeTillIDie
23/07/2005, 3:16 PM
I know that but he's just not good enough for that position.

What? :eek: Where did you hear that? Where did they go? Know of anyone who left for sure?

Darren O'Brien II is gone and some of the others. Apparently they were promised that they would be the first team in the League Cup. When the quarter-final came around, the starting team was announced replete with a lot of first teamers and that was it.

There was no further communication with the Under 21's. Some of them got ****ed off with this and decided to **** off permanently. I heard this from the Dad of an Under 21 who works in my building. The young fellow concerned has decided to stay on... which in the circumstances was wise.

Poor Student
23/07/2005, 3:21 PM
If you're going to be that much of a prima donna I don't think the club needs them. I can't see how they would be all promised to be starting in the League Cup right the way through. Surely they knew the further we went the less of them would figure. I think McAniff started in the quarter final. I'd be very surprised if he left.

Schumi
23/07/2005, 3:42 PM
Schumi were you phoning me before the game last night
I was, yeah. Nothing important.

I don't like to slate Mick but he's a liability at the back. We need a left winger and a left back.Agreed 100%. Derry destroyed us on that side.

Perhaps the time has come to call up Aaron McEniff assuming he is still with the club.He played against Trinity anyway so I assume he is. Didn't hear about a clear out.

Did Anto Murphy play on the right? No. Up front with McWalter until Robbie came on for him.

Team was: Quigley; O'Donnell (Sammon), McNally, Kenna, Mahon; Doyle, McDonnell (Gannon), Dicker, Hurley; McWalter, Murphy (Martin).

Colie
24/07/2005, 7:13 PM
Aghhhhh. We're still staying up, so job well done.

Schumi
28/07/2005, 1:39 PM
Interview with Pete Mahon on the match in the Derry Journal (http://www.derryjournal.com/story/6963).

pineapple stu
01/08/2005, 10:22 AM
Well, the McEniff story was sorted out on Friday anyway! Not particularly worried if some of the U-21s have gone, as we have plenty of cover and plenty of good new players too - the likes of Doyle, Conan Byrne, McEniff, etc. Never missed Austin O'Brien. Will post a match report shortly... :(

pineapple stu
01/08/2005, 2:35 PM
Report... Apparently, the linesman - who was Clive Delaney's cousin - told Alan Mahon after the (controversial) third goal "It doesn't matter anyway - it's the third goal." Suppose he was right, but a very unprofessional thing to be saying!

UCD were brushed aside by Derry in the Brandywell in a performance which was more akin to the recent 5-1 defeat against Cork rather than the 1-0 win over St Pat’s which followed. Former Student Ciarán Martyn again did the damage, scoring twice as Derry sealed a deserved win.

UCD started with the same team as those two previous games, and for the first ten or fifteen minutes were probably just about on top as Derry struggled with wayward passing. However, the closest College came to a chance was when Derry keeper Alan Gough fumbled a cross only to be awarded a free out for a push.

Once Derry got their passing together, however, they began to push UCD further and further back. A swift counter attack after Alan McNally had a pile-driver free kick charged down was only ended with a good block from Alan Mahon, but the lead goal was only delayed five minutes. Not for the first time this season, the goal resulted from an uncharacteristic howler by Mick O’Donnell, who stretched to clear a ball over the top, but saw his header only go as far as Mark Farren, who got away from two UCD challenges before firing past Darren Quigley from the edge of the net. Five minutes later, Martyn teed up Farren from 25 yards, but his shot flew just over. UCD’s only real shot in the first half came from Pat McWalter, but his effort bobbled safely through to Gough in goal.

Having reached half-time just a goal to the bad, UCD would have been hoping to regroup in the second half; however, within 30 seconds, they found themselves 2-0 down when Ciarán Martyn was left unmarked in the area to loop home a header over Quigley and under the bar.

UCD tried to get back into the game – Derek Doyle had a volley just over, while the introduction of Robbie Martin – back from injury – nearly paid immediate dividends when he went on a mazy 20-yard run through the Derry half; he was eventually crowded out by six Derry players, but the ball inevitably broke to a UCD jersey; however, Stephen Hurley’s through ball was cut out.

On the hour mark, UCD suffered a blow when captain Tony McDonnell was withdrawn for Brian Gannon. McDonnell had been suffering from a stomach bug all week and had at one stage in the first half dry-retched on the pitch; he had been given medication during half-time but simply wasn’t able to continue.

The loss of their captain was the last straw for UCD as Derry took an even firmer grip on the game from then on. Gary Beckett nipped in to nearly take advantage of hesitancy in the UCD defence – his lob was just over – while Mick O’Donnell was booked for obstruction and Derry had a late goal disallowed. UCD nearly pulled one back when Gough managed to spill a Robbie Martin header, but the keeper – a former teammate of Clive Delaney at West Ham – was relieved to see the ball bounce just wide of the post. UCD were then reduced to ten men when Gary Dicker was involved in a clash of heads; he had to go off to get his head bandaged with Pete Mahon having used all his three subs. He did return, but to no avail; as UCD changed to a 3-4-3 formation, it was Derry who scored the game’s final goal in the 90th minute when, with the linesman flagging for offside, Derry got the ball on the left and Ciarán Martyn rose unchallenged to head home. Dicker was booked for protesting to the referee, while Alan Mahon took out his anger on the linesman. Derry fans after noted that the linesman’s call was wrong and that the referee was right to overrule. Indeed, it wasn’t the first time the referee overruled his linesman as he called a UCD player offside after his other assistant somehow missed the call, while Derry were fortunate to win a corner in the first half after a similarly laughable decision.

UCD’s night was summed up in the final minute of injury time when Robbie Martin freed Pat McWalter with a neat backheel only for McWalter to take too many touches out of the ball and the Derry defence crowded him out to clear.

UCD – Quigley; Mahon (Martin), O’Donnell, Kenna, McNally; McDonnell (Gannon), Hurley, Dicker, Doyle; Murphy, McWalter. Subs not used – Gallagher, Shortall.

Att - 1883

pineapple stu
01/08/2005, 2:38 PM
Thread (http://www.derrycitychat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1859) on the Derry forum about the match.

Poor Student
01/08/2005, 2:41 PM
Report... Apparently, the linesman - who was Clive Delaney's cousin - told Alan Mahon after the (controversial) third goal "It doesn't matter anyway - it's the third goal." Suppose he was right, but a very unprofessional thing to be saying!

Eh? That's allowed? :confused:

pineapple stu
01/08/2005, 7:03 PM
Yeah, thought that was strange alright. Still, Clive's got enough connections with us to make it fair anyway!