PDA

View Full Version : Offside rule reverts back?

Poor Student
22/07/2005, 6:44 PM
They're saying on Radio 1 that FIFA have given up on the new "wait until they touch it" rule and it's reverting back to before this new change. I for one am pleased.

De Town
22/07/2005, 6:48 PM
They're saying on Radio 1 that FIFA have given up on the new "wait until they touch it" rule and it's reverting back to before this new change. I for one am pleased.
delighted, there is no point in confusing the situation any more than it is already.

harpskid
22/07/2005, 8:00 PM
The old rule was back in effect from last week!!

Baker
22/07/2005, 8:51 PM
Some of the offside decisions in the Confederation Cup were a joke. This is a good call.

jorge
22/07/2005, 8:54 PM
I thought it was only the english FA who were against it.

RĂ©iteoir
22/07/2005, 9:04 PM
The Scottish FA also raised the issue.

Here is the official word from John Baker, Head of Refereeing at the English FA:

"Regrettably there is confusion over this issue.

You are quite correct that the FIFA interpretation in their tournaments has literally applied the Law i.e. it is not an offence to be in an offside position so the AR should not signal until the player interferes with play i.e. plays or touches the ball.

In long discussions following the experiences at the Confederations Cup this Association followed UEFA's lead in asking the IFAB if it considered the implications fully when inserting the advice on application into an IFAB. This question will not be considered until the IFAB meets in October. The PGMO - of which the FA is a member, decided it would not change practice until this clarification is received.

You will therefore not see the ARs holding their flag until the ball is touched or played. I would advise you to do the same otherwise you will be challenged by players.

John"