PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't cheaters be punished?

Ronin
21/07/2005, 11:08 PM
Firstly, I want to get a few things out of the way. This post is for everyone's benefit and it isn't an attack on the player or the club in question, but it is an attack on cheating; and in this case self-confessed cheating, from any player, official, or club.

I will be as thorough as I can and supply everyone with the full extent of the facts as I know them, and sources where these facts can be validated if you wish to check the validity. Read it, mull it over, I hope you are as shocked as I am (in the interests of the game here!). I will say what I have to say and that is all. I have no intention of replying to any posts ... but feel free to discuss the issue between yourselves.

This starts with a story most of you will be familiar with!

On June 24th Waterford United entertained Shelbourne at the RSC in a League game. The final score was 2-4 in favour of Shelbourne.

It turns out later; confirming some people's suspicions, that Shelbourne's Captain Owen Heary punched the ball into the Waterford net to give Shelbourne their third goal. How did this come to be known? Owen Heary admitted it. The article in which I found it, as well as the url at which it was once located is provided at the end of this post. I believe, it was also published in the national press.

Now, I'm not concerned with the debate on whether the ref. Alan Kelly would have given a penalty for another infringement anyway, or if Waterford would have held out for a draw, or that Alan Kelly should have done better (people are human and that's the inherent flaw of the system of match officiating).

The issue is as follows. I contacted the FAI to let them know about what Owen Heary admitted to (Judge me if you want; I don't care!). I was in contact with the consummately efficient Andy Needham (Andy's contact details are below for anyone who would like to have the facts verified) who said the FAI, Eircom League, and the prescribed disciplinary body were aware of his comments. Time passed by and I heard no more. I got in contact with Andy once more and Andy informed me that nothing could be done. He stated the reason the disciplinary board gave was the incident wasn't in the match officials' report, and as a result no action or sanction could be brought against Owen Heary.

Overturning the goal was always going to be unlikely. I have no memory of that action ever been taken in the League of Ireland. But surely any player who commits such an offence and then admits to it has to be guilty of at least bringing the game into disrepute. I think we are all aware that managers, players and club officials have to be very wary of what they say to the press vis-à-vis the performance of a match official. To criticise them brings sanctions, and rightly so ... we have to order in the League not some chaotic free for all. This is the accepted standard throughout the game internationally and domestically. So why can’t a player be punished in this instance.

We are still a long way, if ever, from using video or electronic assistance in controlling games. But when someone admits to what they have done there is no conflict of using technology that can be misinterpreted, there is no media hype, just someone admitting to what they did.

There should be punishment for this … it’s straightforward. It’s not for me to say what his punishment should be, but if none is given out I think we will see cheaters acting with greater impunity, safe in the knowledge that they can even admit to breaking the rules later and know they can get away scot free.

June 27, 2005

Shelbourne skipper Owen Heary has admitted that he punched the ball into the net for Shelbourne's crucial third goal against Waterford United on Friday night - but insisted that it would have been a penalty in any case for a prior offence by a Blues defender on the goalline.

Champions Shels ended a run of five league games without a win with a 4-2 triumph over struggling United at the RSC.

Heary, who returned to action following injury in the game, fired his side 3-2 in front after 67 minutes of the game - but then admitted he handled the ball to the Waterford net.

He said: "Just before it their player handled it on the line. The referee was going to give the penalty but he just let the goal stand.

"I said 'If he can get away with it I can too' so I punched it into the net. I'm not going to deny it. Sometimes you get things like that and it changes a game."
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/shelbourne/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=1

Andy Needham; the Eircom League's Media & Public Relations Officer (Tel +353 1 7037548, Mob +353 87 2441326, Fax +353 1 6768096, Email andy.needham@fai.ie).

pete
22/07/2005, 5:10 AM
I was in contact with the consummately efficient Andy Needham (Andy's contact details are below for anyone who would like to have the facts verified) who said the FAI, Eircom League, and the prescribed disciplinary body were aware of his comments. Time passed by and I heard no more.

Sure Needham said the same thing about Fenlon breaking his touchline ban. Said would be discussed at disciplinary committee meeting but still nothing happened.

:rolleyes:

The Disciplinary body is far from independent as is done by clubs themselves so seems to be just politics & some clubs somehow have more power than others.

patsh
22/07/2005, 7:01 AM
FFS, it's $h€l$!

You don't actually think any sanctions will be imposed on any of them, do you?

BohDiddley
22/07/2005, 8:53 AM
Ronin, I agree completely that sanctions should be imposed, and also that this is highly unlikely. But why are you bringing this up so long after the event?

EnDai
22/07/2005, 9:04 AM
It happened ages ago, and before anyone says anything I am in no way condoning this - I would be in arms if it happened against my team, but nothing will change this. It is dead and gone.

IMO, if you want to talk about stamping out cheating, we should start with "simulation" and other incidents (like Connor on O'Donnovan), rather than a once off freak incident (again, not condoning this - but diving etc is MUCH more of a problem, and occurs on a regular basis), and use television footage to punish the culprits. It makes a continual mockery of the game.

If anything, as I think I tried to mention before, by Heary coming out and saying he hit the ball in, surely referees are less likely to "trust" him or give him the benefit of the doubt in a 50/50 situation after coming out with what he did.

hoops1
22/07/2005, 9:08 AM
Ronin get a grip son
Heary admitted it becasue it was so obvious no one would ever believe
it was accidental!he was asked was it deliberate and answered honestly
Players are there to win football matches and every player in the league
would do the exact same thing if they thought they would get away with
it.
I Dont know how many times ive heard managers coaches players
criticise their ownplayers who were fouled in the box and didnt go down
and if you think it doesnt happen or that players(or most fans) care that they punched the ball into the net or cheated to win
then you living in fantasy land

EnDai
22/07/2005, 9:10 AM
Very good logical post there hoops1, you are 100% correct.

fosterdollar
22/07/2005, 9:11 AM
BORING... all part of the game, yadda yadda yadda.

patsh
22/07/2005, 9:39 AM
IMO, if you want to talk about stamping out cheating, we should start with "simulation" and other incidents (like Connor on O'Donnovan),
:confused:
What about Connor on O'Donovan?

EnDai
22/07/2005, 9:41 AM
Didn't he basically assault him? Yet nothing will happen, I bet. Either way, I was just trying to use it as an example, if I got it wrong - I apologise.

patsh
22/07/2005, 9:43 AM
Didn't he basically assault him? Yet nothing will happen, I bet. Either way, I was just trying to use it as an example, if I got it wrong - I apologise.
Yes Connor did assault O'Donovan, just wasn't sure where "simulation" came into it....

ColinR
22/07/2005, 9:46 AM
Yes Connor did assault O'Donovan, just wasn't sure where "simulation" came into it....

but if we're going to punish 'simulation' after matches, surely george o'callaghan would get a lifetime ban ;)

EnDai
22/07/2005, 9:46 AM
Sorry, I said "Simulation and other incidents", meaning other general cheating (such as that particular incident), but with the emphasis of my point being on diving. Hope that clears up what I meant? :)

patsh
22/07/2005, 10:23 AM
but if we're going to punish 'simulation' after matches, surely george o'callaghan would get a lifetime ban ;)
Well he would be joined by Webb, your scum keeper.......and half the $h€l$ side....the list could go on and on

EnDai
22/07/2005, 10:24 AM
Well he would be joined by Webb, your scum keeper.......and half the $h€l$ side....the list could go on and on

Well thats the point I'm trying to make! It's a joke! :)

TheOwl
22/07/2005, 11:29 AM
What punishment would you like to be handed out?

If the referee had spotted it Heary would have got a yellow card for deliberate handball. If he was retrospectively given a yellow card would you be happy? Or do you want him to be punished for being HONEST? If he came out and said no comment would that be ok?

I can understand Waterford fans are upset about the goal counting, but surely they should be directing their complaints at the referee and his assistants rather than at Owen Heary.

Jim Smith
22/07/2005, 12:28 PM
It happens to all our teams at some point. Is bringing the game into disrepute a punishable offence? I doubt it or Roddy Collins would have been locked up and the key thrown away by now :D

Anyway, put your hand on your heart and tell me that a much more famous 'Hand of God' incident (and the media reaction to it) still doesn't bring a smile to your face....

superfrank
22/07/2005, 12:34 PM
It's always going to happen. And the ineptness and stupidity of footballing associations worldwide is unbelievable.

Did you hear the story of a player called Diogo in Switzerland?

He'd scored ran up to the fence where his team's fans were to celebrate, ran off and left his finger and wedding ring behind. And he got booked for "excessive celebration"

And then there was David Healy sent off for celebrating but scumbags like Connor and Balde get away with "excessive" challenges.

Nothiong's going to change: Footballing associations have no spine or sense, get used to it.

LFC in Exile
22/07/2005, 12:34 PM
If the referee had spotted it Heary would have got a yellow card for deliberate handball.

Sorry - off topic a small bit- but this is my bug bear. If he was booked it could only be for unsporting behaviour i.e. trying to con the ref. Deliberate handball is not a yellow card offence. In fact hand ball must be deliberate to be a free in the first place, if its not then no free. Unless you deliberately handle the ball repeatedly when the yellow card would be given for persistent fouling.

Sorry, back to the discussion. :ball: