Athlone v Bray
Galway v Cobh
Waterford v Longford
Wexford v Cork

Monday 4th
Treaty v Athlone 19:45

sbgawa
29/03/2022, 9:23 AM
Two tough matches for UCD who could find themselves isolated despite playing some good football and probably not getting a bit of luck in some of their matches.
With the games in hand being used its a chance for Derry and Sligo to really put a bit of ground between themselves and Rovers particularly if we dont take 3 points up in Finn Park.
Bohs play the top two , Sligo and Derry so its a no lose weekend for me ;)
After my confident assertion that last weekend would separate the top 3 naturally Longford and Treaty dually beat Waterford and Galway to make my prediction look a bit dopey , i still think Cork, Waterford and Galway have to much about them but Longford have a chance to really put themselves into the mix if they can get a result in Waterford, a win would put them level with Waterford with 2 games in hand.
I dont think even the Longford supporters would have seen that.

With so much covid around its hard to imagine that we wont see some players absent, the FAI protocols around playing matches should mean we dont have cancelations but might be a bit of pot luck around teams

Finlay Harp
29/03/2022, 1:28 PM
Harps could do with 3-4 points out of our 2 games. If the teams around us slip up it gives us a bit of breathing space. ‘If’ being the formidable word!

Nesta99
30/03/2022, 10:18 AM
Dundalk badly need a win too. Bounce back from the loss to Drogheda and too many draws. If 3 points are not taken it really will be a long season. Though as sbgawa says there are a few games that are must win, Im coming round to agreeing that the 10 team format is working with no dead rubber games. It isnt a banker going to Harps for any side but Rovers need to stop the gap growing as Derry and Sligo, on paper, should be getting 4-6 points this round.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
01/04/2022, 7:48 PM
Shels full value for their lead

D24Saint
01/04/2022, 8:54 PM
A shocking game in Richmond. A draw a fair result but what wasn’t fair was being subjected to that after the working week. I’m still not entirely sure what Clancy is trying to achieve with his tactics. It was the worst home performance in a long time.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
01/04/2022, 8:56 PM
Shels full value for their lead

And the win

Calcio Jack
01/04/2022, 9:04 PM
Seems Derry has stolen our clothes ; think that is at least 6 points gained from goals scored after 90th minute…. Very impressive after only 7 matches.

Still overall a decent night for us with Sligo and Pats dropping points

Buller
01/04/2022, 9:16 PM
And the win

Very impressive away win from Shels POV. Really expected them to be certain relegation contenders with the squad before the season started, Duff working magic with the youngsters.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
01/04/2022, 9:45 PM
We were beyond useless. The pitch is shocking and Shels just worked harder. Supposedly 5 or 6 weeks the pitch will be better but hard to see how it can get anytime to recover when we have 5 games at home in April along with whatever games the womens team have.

PartySaint
01/04/2022, 10:30 PM
Pats are useless. Clancy is a dud, no plan whatsoever.

joey B
01/04/2022, 10:45 PM
Conceded right on half time but we didn’t really do enough to deserve anything from the game,hit the woodwork twice but struggled to create much….

D24Saint
02/04/2022, 12:11 AM

That’s yet to be revealed but tonight had hints of Harry Kenny about it tbh. It was an awful display by our team tonight.

trevy
02/04/2022, 6:00 AM
Last gasp equaliser with Britton heading in corner saved a point for Waterford. First half performance very poor and Longford 1 0 up at the break. 2nd half was better but Waterford denied by the post and a super save by Longford keeper. He should have been sent off before that for bringing down Waterford striker Kavanagh just outside box as he went around him but ref incredibly only gave him yellow.
Fans not happy with Ian Morris and his tactics and we are falling further behind Cork and Galway.

Jd2793
02/04/2022, 6:48 AM
haunted to win in wexford, we did our best to give them a chance right until the end of the game. huge win for cork , waterford dropping more points means theres a bit of a gap forming already.

Jd2793
02/04/2022, 6:51 AM

what would you change? ive watched a few pats games now. he needs to park his loyality to mark doyle. not at the level for pats. needs one of the young lads playing behind e.doyle too , mccormack or someone because doyle is living off scraps and i cant see how king is the answer there.

PartySaint
02/04/2022, 7:37 AM
what would you change? ive watched a few pats games now. he needs to park his loyality to mark doyle. not at the level for pats. needs one of the young lads playing behind e.doyle too , mccormack or someone because doyle is living off scraps and i cant see how king is the answer there.

Exactly what you’ve said there, he seems more interested in making sure his mates get game time rather than trying to fix our problems. The 2 Doyle’s need to be dropped, Billy King needs to be put back out wide to his natural position and an actual midfielder needs to be played in there

Ben McCormack and Adam Murphy came on last night and changed the game for us so hopefully he realised that and will play one of them next week but we seem to be getting worse week on week rather than improving. There’s no cohesion to our attacking play, the plan seems to be just hope that Forrester or Burns can pull out a bit of magic. As someone mentioned above it’s Harry Kenny mark 2.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
02/04/2022, 7:40 AM
I know Drogheda did well results wise last season but thought they were awful to watch any time we played them

Finlay Harp
02/04/2022, 7:57 AM
Harps need goals quickly or we’re in a dogfight at the bottom.

SeanDrog
02/04/2022, 9:22 AM
Harps need goals quickly or we’re in a dogfight at the bottom.

Monday is a massive game for both teams.

nigel-harps1954
02/04/2022, 10:53 AM
Worst thing is, Harps aren't actually playing terribly. We just can't score. We've hit either the crossbar or the post about ten times this season, twice again last night.

Missed Ryan Connolly in midfield, Barry McNamee hasn't started the season yet, and Bastien Hery is spending half his time on the bench because you can't play him and McNamee together.

We're playing okay at times, but it's just not happening for us for whatever reason.

Nesta99
02/04/2022, 12:48 PM

Maybe thats why Conor Hoey was so thankful for his manager being pinched for buttons!

*isnt Matthews the real brains of the whole thing at St Pats anyway?

ontheotherhand
02/04/2022, 2:19 PM
Worst thing is, Harps aren't actually playing terribly. We just can't score. We've hit either the crossbar or the post about ten times this season, twice again last night.

Missed Ryan Connolly in midfield, Barry McNamee hasn't started the season yet, and Bastien Hery is spending half his time on the bench because you can't play him and McNamee together.

We're playing okay at times, but it's just not happening for us for whatever reason.

Was surprised at how ineffective McNamee was last night. In years past I'd have been worried about seeing him line up against us but he seems to have lost a bit. Is it just part time training brining him down a level or just a bad patch?

Thought harps looked ok overall. Well organized for most of it but I'd have to say it was also one of the most comfortable games for us up there in a long time. Could have been very different if the one that hit the post and then came back out off Mannus had gone in though. The lad Tourish at the back looks very good and McWoods is a prospect. Gave us a few problems and should have scored really.

We are starting to look a bit better. Midfield more balanced and Andy Lyons has been unplayable the past two games.

D24Saint
02/04/2022, 2:53 PM
Maybe thats why Conor Hoey was so thankful for his manager being pinched for buttons!

Nah more like the football version of a driving instructor. When you don’t have your license he will guide you along.

TonyD
02/04/2022, 5:53 PM

Jesus I hope not ! I think a few here are pressing the panic button a bit early. We have been a bit up and down alright, but it’s early days. I do agree Mark Doyle needs to be dropped, and Eoin Doyle needs to start scoring. For me he’s dropping too deep and drifting too wide a lot of the time. Needs to get in the box more.

2 Year Contract
02/04/2022, 6:02 PM
Jesus I hope not ! I think a few here are pressing the panic button a bit early. We have been a bit up and down alright, but it’s early days. I do agree Mark Doyle needs to be dropped, and Eoin Doyle needs to start scoring. For me he’s dropping too deep and drifting too wide a lot of the time. Needs to get in the box more.

Big time, there was people pushing the panic button after losing to Sligo in the second game of the season and even more after losing to Bohs in the following game. It took O'Donnell a full season and a half until we looked like a team that could even score a goal. We were poor last night but 8 of the starting 11 are new to the club so it’s going to take time to get to where we want to be. At present there are 2 sides above Pats, both of which would’ve been expected to finish in the top 2 by the majority

Jd2793
02/04/2022, 7:23 PM

think thats all down to king behind him. cant get touches closer to goal with no service. ive seen a lot of young mccormack over the years with ireland and hes impressed in a few cameos for pats. clancy should have no fear of dropping him in. the boy has good ability now and will only improve with time imo.

oriel
02/04/2022, 8:47 PM
Seems Derry has stolen our clothes ; think that is at least 6 points gained from goals scored after 90th minute…. Very impressive after only 7 matches.

Still overall a decent night for us with Sligo and Pats dropping points

The emperor may even have new clothes this year in the shape of new league winners?

I wasn't expecting Derry to really go for the title until next season, but this is some start plus they have a very winnable game in hand on Monday.

However the title race pans out between those 2, it should be very tight who gets 3rd, and the possible back door of europe for the team that finishes 4th.

Nesta99
03/04/2022, 12:48 AM
Nah more like the football version of a driving instructor. When you don’t have your license he will guide you along.

Ah ok, I thought that it was pushed that O'Donnell was no real loss as it was Mathews who was really the person behind St Pats improvements and cup win, so would have made sense the same would be the case with Clancy.

ToberonaTornado
03/04/2022, 1:19 AM
:-)

Game live on the telly as well so wondering how RTÉ's pundits will manage around this silly and tiring nonsense? (Gary Rogers,Pat Fenlon,Richie Sadlier expected to be ....)

Looking forward to being there with our usual packed out away fans and a famous win as well. :cool2:

Nesta99
03/04/2022, 11:58 AM
:-)

Game live on the telly as well so wondering how RTÉ's pundits will manage around this silly and tiring nonsense? (Gary Rogers,Pat Fenlon,Richie Sadlier expected to be ....)

Looking forward to being there with our usual packed out away fans and a famous win as well. :cool2:

Should invite Harry Kenny along for his analysis, he might be able to provide some proper insight in to the way some Pats fans think they are performing.

sulywaterfordfc
04/04/2022, 3:30 PM
Morris would want to change it up quick. Absolutely dreadful stuff. At the stage already where I’d like to see a change.

sbgawa
04/04/2022, 3:53 PM
Morris would want to change it up quick. Absolutely dreadful stuff. At the stage already where I’d like to see a change.

Morris got a Shelbourne team who should never have been relegated...relegated playing atrocious football
Got a Shelbourne team promoted not exactly convincingly playing atrociously when they should have won at a canter, was so highly thought of after that that he was ditched....
What did Waterford expect???

Jd2793
04/04/2022, 8:34 PM
could do with morris bluffing a few more results til the transfer window passes. dont need new players and management down there from a cork point of view.

Jd2793
04/04/2022, 8:36 PM
ucd on course to be worse than last seasons longford team

sulywaterfordfc
04/04/2022, 9:22 PM
Morris got a Shelbourne team who should never have been relegated...relegated playing atrocious football
Got a Shelbourne team promoted not exactly convincingly playing atrociously when they should have won at a canter, was so highly thought of after that that he was ditched....
What did Waterford expect???

The board expected to win the league by with ease.

Morris was a questionable appointment, I wasn’t too happy about it at the time. On paper his Cv is great, but reality he won two leagues where anything other then winning the league was failure not to mention he’d Rennie who’s probably the best no2 in the country last year. The season he was relegated, Shels were expected to stay up too. If he continues with this horses**t we’ll be lucky to get into the top 5...

pineapple stu
04/04/2022, 9:26 PM
ucd on course to be worse than last seasons longford team
No point judging us off games against Derry in fairness.

But we could really do with a goal at this stage.

Finlay Harp
04/04/2022, 9:32 PM
Harps need to learn to kill games quick as stupidity is costing us big time.

nigel-harps1954
04/04/2022, 9:35 PM
Two dropped points against an awful Drogheda side who have their keeper to thank for keeping them in the game, mixed with some woeful finishing by Harps.

Nesta99
04/04/2022, 10:02 PM

Dundalk did try a couple of times, shunning a gift or 2 was rude though!

joey B
04/04/2022, 10:45 PM
Played much better tonight and had enough chances to win but a combination of poor finishing and very good saves the Drogheda goalkeeper left us with only a point,if we can cut out silly mistakes at the back we’ll be ok….

Onapointoforder
04/04/2022, 10:47 PM
The commentary on UCD v Derry was brutal.. well, at least one of the commentators was brutal

DCWA
04/04/2022, 10:51 PM
The commentary on UCD v Derry was brutal.. well, at least one of the commentators was brutal

It really was bizarre the two lads had no idea what was going on

Jd2793
05/04/2022, 6:56 AM

well yeah but ye havent been in any way impressive or unlucky apart from bohs at home. the lack of goals shows no sign of being addressed. could see ye putting up some unwanted records especially if kerrigan goes.

Glen Of Aherlow
05/04/2022, 8:31 AM
think thats all down to king behind him. cant get touches closer to goal with no service. ive seen a lot of young mccormack over the years with ireland and hes impressed in a few cameos for pats. clancy should have no fear of dropping him in. the boy has good ability now and will only improve with time imo.

I'd love to see us play a three in midfield and get Forrester further up the pitch , no point in him being thirty yards from his own goal picking it up from the keeper.

total hoofball
05/04/2022, 12:37 PM
The board expected to win the league by with ease.

Morris was a questionable appointment, I wasn’t too happy about it at the time. On paper his Cv is great, but reality he won two leagues where anything other then winning the league was failure not to mention he’d Rennie who’s probably the best no2 in the country last year. The season he was relegated, Shels were expected to stay up too. If he continues with this horses**t we’ll be lucky to get into the top 5...
I wouldn't write Morris' Waterford obituary just yet. Morris did not have particularly good starts with Shels in the first 6 to 8 games of both of the 2019 and 2021 First Division title winning seasons before Shels went up a gear becoming very difficult under him to take any points off often going on runs of winning games by the odd goal

But looking at the First Division this season Waterford definitely stiffer competition with full-time teams like Cork and Galway looking potential viable league winners. Morris' style of football while not terrible hoofball is definitely conservative quite unadventurous may not be compatible with alot of that Waterford squad

TonyD
05/04/2022, 3:24 PM
I'd love to see us play a three in midfield and get Forrester further up the pitch , no point in him being thirty yards from his own goal picking it up from the keeper.

He has plenty of licence to get forward as far as I can see. Don’t think it’s an issue. Nor do I think it’s a problem Forrestor coming deep to get the ball.

pineapple stu
05/04/2022, 6:49 PM
well yeah but ye havent been in any way impressive or unlucky apart from bohs at home. the lack of goals shows no sign of being addressed. could see ye putting up some unwanted records especially if kerrigan goes.
Had apparently clear penalties not given v Shels and Harps as well; that'd make a bit difference to the table and a bit of early confidence.

But yeah, we need a win as well as a goal at this stage, and that's not a good mix.

I think our worst performance was the one where we scored twice, strangely (away to Drogheda)

sulywaterfordfc
05/04/2022, 9:09 PM
I wouldn't write Morris' Waterford obituary just yet. Morris did not have particularly good starts with Shels in the first 6 to 8 games of both of the 2019 and 2021 First Division title winning seasons before Shels went up a gear becoming very difficult under him to take any points off often going on runs of winning games by the odd goal

But looking at the First Division this season Waterford definitely stiffer competition with full-time teams like Cork and Galway looking potential viable league winners. Morris' style of football while not terrible hoofball is definitely conservative quite unadventurous may not be compatible with alot of that Waterford squad

That’s a large part of the problem, Morris is trying to implement a style with a squad suited to play football. It’s not just going to suddenly click. Not to mention there’s many players underperforming as Morris isn’t playing to there strengths. Wordsworth has been a huge disappointment so far but he’s been played in a defensive role. He should be playing higher up the pitch. Signing an attacking type midfielder to play a defensive role, one of the many odd decisions by Morris. Not to mention he’s probably on a big wage.

2 Year Contract
08/04/2022, 9:35 PM

75% of your 'packed out' away end must’ve got lost on the way down tonight, great win for yous all the same