PDA

View Full Version : The new FAI TV deal

A face
20/07/2005, 11:20 PM
Does anyone know exactly how much is left on the current TV deal that the FAI have with RTE (think its about 2yrs)

When will they be drawing up plans for new deal ?? About 8-10 months before hand .... am i right ??

A face
21/07/2005, 8:12 PM
Lads .... does anyone know anymore on this ??

Who, on behalf of the FAI will be looking after this ??

Is there anywhere we can get a look at the last agreement that was signed ??

holidaysong
21/07/2005, 8:49 PM
It seems you can get info on the FBI quicker than the FAI :D

ifk101
22/07/2005, 6:15 AM
It be nice if they could muster up a television deal like what the Norwegian League just got. According to uefa.com

"However, on-field events have been put in the shadow by the new television deal for Norwegian football. Broadcaster TV2 and telecommunications giant Telenor forked out a total of €125m for the right to broadcast Premier Division and national team games from 2006-08."

A face
22/07/2005, 4:24 PM
Anyone read Nick Leeson's column today in the mirror?

He hits the nail right on the head and points out that shels have been shown 12 times all in all this year while ourselves and Derry the top two in the league have not had one home game.

It was mentioned many times that Setanta have become one of $h€l$ main sponsors with the amount of money they hand over. $h€l$ got €5,000 for each live league game, and €2,500 for the deferred coverage game, So outside of the Setanta Cup, $h€l$ have received €22,500 in TV money from Setanta alone so far this season.

$h€l$ also stand to make at least €20,000 from RTE as well from their Euro run.

This is one of the reasons that we need a good TV deal for the league .... with money for the year being split evenly between all clubs.

My blood is boiling over this to be honest.

Slash/ED
22/07/2005, 4:32 PM
$h€l$ also stand to make at least €20,000 from RTE as well from their Euro run.

I understand where you're coming from with the rest of it but what's the complaint there? Shels earned that money, what other LOIs teams champions league matches chould be shown instead?

joeraki
22/07/2005, 5:19 PM
Got to go where the higher viewing audience is I'm afraid. In a population of 4 million, 1/4 of them live in Dublin. So naturally a game with a Dublin club v whoever is going to attract more viewer interest

pete
22/07/2005, 5:52 PM
Would the same logic of just showing london teams work in the UK?

A national tv deal cannot be just for selected teams - the teams at top of the table should be shown - ffs nobody will watch bohs v ucd on tv next week :rolleyes:

jorge
22/07/2005, 8:20 PM
You will get your turn and it will be slash's turn to moan. :)

A face
23/07/2005, 10:50 AM
I understand what you're saying about the champions league game but there needs to be a proper tv deal in place so that no matter who is at the top in whatever year, all clubs benefit equally from the tv money ..... it should not be an unfair advantage that a few clubs have over another. The money should work to improve the league.

Aswell as that .... the clubs need to improve the current situation, and just tolerating things the way they are now is just not an option. Television is vital at this stage and nothing is being done about it.

Setanta is fine but not widely available ..... our National Broadcaster needs to be doing more and the league needs to force its hand to do so. We have two years left until a new deal is signed, it will be for another 3 years i'd imagine ..... that will be five years if nothing is done this time around.

The advertising money that a club can generate from being televised is unreal and would give great opportunities to clubs looking for sponsorship, bigger and better deals.

goattail
23/07/2005, 4:19 PM
If a TV company is going to sign a tv deal with the league then the money should be divided evenly between all clubs regardless how many or how few times they are featured. Should be a minimum and maximum amount of times any club can be covered at home as well.

A face
23/07/2005, 4:58 PM
If a TV company is going to sign a tv deal with the league then the money should be divided evenly between all clubs regardless how many or how few times they are featured. Should be a minimum and maximum amount of times any club can be covered at home as well.

Totally agree with that .... obviously the clubs who now feature alot will complain but they would only seek to serve themselves and it wouldn't be for the benefit of the league.

Clubs and fans need to move on this !!

Slash/ED
23/07/2005, 5:33 PM

Exactly, if that's how it's done in England with millions involved it should be the same here.

I still don't see the complaint about Shels making money from RTE over champions league games, however. That is a different thing altogether from the tv deal the FAI signed for the league.

Still, despite all the faults with the TV deal, and we always find something to moan about, it is a vast improvement on what we had before, that being nothing at all.