PDA

View Full Version : ITV Digital Bust!

pete
27/03/2002, 2:39 PM
bbc sport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1896000/1896732.stm)

Could mean the end of 6 of the smaller english clubs too. Might mean eL clubs can compete a bit more financially against the lower english divisions.

With ITV out of the way Sky will surely take advantage of & reduce the Premierships tv contract the next time round?

Macy
27/03/2002, 2:51 PM
With ITV out of the way Sky will surely take advantage of & reduce the Premierships tv contract the next time round

I think it's in the current contract that Sky can't come in with a lower offer than the one they are currently paying - they have to at least match it.....
The ITV situation stems from the fact that ITV wanted to renegotiate the contract, but the clubs wouldn't. ITV's way out of this is to close the station, thus meaning they don't have to pay anything......

Schumi
27/03/2002, 3:02 PM
You'd have to wonder at the wisdom of the clubs to force ITV to close the station and get nothing rather than accept a smaller offer.

pete
27/03/2002, 3:45 PM
Originally posted by Macy

I think it's in the current contract that Sky can't come in with a lower offer than the one they are currently paying - they have to at least match it.....

I know this rumour was going around but I think Sky refuted this recently & saw their share price rise as a result.

Éanna
28/03/2002, 12:39 PM
on a just about related subject, I'm hearing Tara TV is gone bust as well,which means no rte news, old episodes of fair city and glenroe, etc for those of us exiled from Ireland! The news and hence sports news are obviously nowhere near as important as watching biddy again:D , but it was nice seeing the eL goals!

pete
28/03/2002, 5:39 PM
I see two english 2nd division clubs saying how much they expected to get from ITV Digital

Chesterfield - 300k
Bury - 200k

Thats sterling & I think for a year too.

Interestingly Chesterfield are in debt so much that all their tv monies go directly to pay their creditors.

I would assume these clubs also get some of the Sky money for the Premiership?

Colm
30/03/2002, 9:34 AM
Originally posted by pete

I would assume these clubs also get some of the Sky money for the Premiership? Absolutley not, not a penny. All the Sky money is divided among the Premiership clubs and only the premiership clubs.

joe
30/03/2002, 11:27 AM
don't the teams relgated from the premiership still get sky money for a couple of years?

pete
30/03/2002, 11:53 AM
I thought the Premiership clubs get roughly 10million a year.

Teams relegated to the 1st division continue to get the 10million for 2 more years but then drop to something like 2 million afterwards. Thats why you see clubs that don't make it up after 2 years in serious trouble.

Sure doesn't Sky show live 1st division games???

I really thought some of the Sky money was distributed to the lower division as a means of getting them to allow the premiership in the first place?

Éanna
30/03/2002, 1:36 PM
sure we get loads of money from sky don't we:rolleyes:

Colm
30/03/2002, 6:41 PM
Originally posted by pete

Sure doesn't Sky show live 1st division games???

I really thought some of the Sky money was distributed to the lower division Sky showed live 1st div games last season before ITV digital puchased this seasons rights. The lower divisions rely on ITV digital and thats why some of them are facing disaster as a result of its collapse.

Troy.McClure
02/04/2002, 6:22 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
I'm hearing Tara TV is gone bust

Setanta TV is the way to go Eanna. I think that they have a website aswell. I was over in my friends place the other night flicking through Sky Digital and the (pay per view) option for Tara was up, so I doubt that its gone yet.

Éanna
03/04/2002, 8:43 AM
no, it's not gone yet, but RTE news had a piece saying that it was going. It's not my digibox anyway, so I have no say in the matter- I just watch it!