PDA

View Full Version : Stopping smoking

Pages : [1] 2

Dotsy
20/07/2005, 2:43 PM
Not for the first time I am attempting to kick the habit. I've been off them for 3 days now but I am really suffering. I have used the patches before but found that once I stopped using them I went back on the smokes. This time I'm trying it cold turkey. If anybody has any tips or advise on how to keep off them it would be much appreciated.

Malby
20/07/2005, 2:45 PM
Not for the first time I am attempting to kick the habit. I've been off them for 3 days now but I am really suffering. I have used the patches before but found that once I stopped using them I went back on the smokes. This time I'm trying it cold turkey. If anybody has any tips or advise on how to keep off them it would be much appreciated.
Stay away from beer!

drinkfeckarse
20/07/2005, 2:50 PM
Where's Macy (Allen Carr in disguise) when you need him....

Dotsy
20/07/2005, 2:52 PM
Stay away from beer!

Whatever about surviving without the smokes I am not sure I could live without the beer :eek:

Malby
20/07/2005, 2:52 PM
LOL there is an ad for this at top of page!

Malby
20/07/2005, 2:53 PM
Whatever about surviving without the smokes I am not sure I could live without the beer :eek:
It was always my downfall. Though the ban should help providing your mates are all non smokers. Know one guy who went back on them when ban came in as he wanted to be with his mates outside!!

strangeirish
20/07/2005, 2:54 PM

When friends offer you a smoke, take it and rip it up right in front of them. It won't be long before they will quit offering them to you. And what Malby said, stay away from beer!

drinkfeckarse
20/07/2005, 2:56 PM
Best of luck with it anyway Dotsy but you're doing it the hard way. It's a bit rich coming from me because I still smoke albeit very little but I found Allen Carrs Easyway book very good and very easy also. He also has clinics dotted aroung the place.

It kept me off them 2 or 3 times for a few months, unfortunately I didn't have enough willpower with a few pints down me.

Has worked for lots others though. As I said Macy will have plenty of info for you if he sees this, if not PM him. I'm sure he won't mind.

Peadar
20/07/2005, 2:58 PM
sirhamish was trying to quit.
Any news on how he's getting on?
I said that he would never do it because he wasn't totally commited to the cause. Hope he proves me wrong. ;)

Dotsy
20/07/2005, 3:16 PM
Best of luck with it anyway Dotsy but you're doing it the hard way. It's a bit rich coming from me because I still smoke albeit very little but I found Allen Carrs Easyway book very good and very easy also. He also has clinics dotted aroung the place.

It kept me off them 2 or 3 times for a few months, unfortunately I didn't have enough willpower with a few pints down me.

Has worked for lots others though. As I said Macy will have plenty of info for you if he sees this, if not PM him. I'm sure he won't mind.

Thanks DFA. I hadn't heard of Allen Carr before. I'll pick up the book. I've tried the patches, gum etc before and always went back on them. I think it's more a state of mind once you get over the first few days of constant cravings. Getting the book certainly won't do any harm.

Plastic Paddy
20/07/2005, 3:23 PM
Patches. "Nicotine replacement therapy". Just what exactly are they replacing the nicotine with? You guessed it, more nicotine. :rolleyes: How the bijaysus are you ever expected to kick that particular addiction?

Don't just pick up the Allen Carr's Easyway book, spend a month's fag money on the Easyway hypnotherapy course. I tried it to quit a 40-a-day-plus-"herbal"-cigs ;) habit and it worked first time. That was six years ago.

Smoking is the biggest con going. It's easy to break the habit, honest to God. You don't even need willpower if you do the hypnotherapy. Ninety-five per cent of nicotine leaves your system within 48 hours, so a couple of grouchy days is all you'll suffer. And by then you've done the hard work, whatever anyone else says. :)

http://www.allencarr.ie/home0.0.html

The only surefire way to quit smoking. Having tried them all, I know.

:ball: PP

anto1208
20/07/2005, 3:33 PM
easy way to stop !! stop being such a girl and just dont smoke its easy ive been off the smoke since the wekend its a piece of **** , i takes 7 days for the nicotine to leave your system thats only 4 more days then your clean , the rest is just in your head .

drinkfeckarse
20/07/2005, 3:36 PM
easy way to stop !! stop being such a girl and just dont smoke its easy ive been off the smoke since the wekend its a piece of **** , i takes 7 days for the nicotine to leave your system thats only 4 more days then your clean , the rest is just in your head .

oh dear.....

anto1208
20/07/2005, 3:42 PM
oh dear.....

whats that ment to mean ?

Dotsy
20/07/2005, 3:42 PM

Cheers for that. Over 20 years smoking and trying to quit and all along it was that easy :rolleyes:

drinkfeckarse
20/07/2005, 3:54 PM
whats that ment to mean ?

It means walk before you run. You've been off them since the weekend and it's p!ss easy??

Come back in a few months with you're 2 cents worth if you're still off them.

Babysis
20/07/2005, 3:56 PM
I dont smoke, I never have so Im not going to claim to know anything.
I realise its difficult to quit from both my parents who were smokers for years.

I guess if anyone ever needs a reason to stop smoking, think of those stop smoking adverts, people smoking since they were 15, dying at 45
I now realise how incredibly true to life they really are.

I wish you all the best of luck if your trying to quit. For those who still smoke, its each to their own. Do what you want.

anto1208
20/07/2005, 3:57 PM
Cheers for that. Over 20 years smoking and trying to quit and all along it was that easy :rolleyes:

yip ! well you said you have tried the patches and they didnt work so nicotine replacement isnt for you , so the only option left is cold turkey , every one else is giving you methods that act as a crutch in the same way the patches do , while i offer the only advice that will work .

when you have people telling you how hard it is to quit it gets into your head that its too hard to give them up you keep thinking about it being too hard and you go back to smoking , where as some one telling you its not a big deal just stop smoking pull your socks up and get on with it gets it into your head that it isnt such a big deal as everyone is making it out to be .

i was just trying to help but since you dont want it ,take the others advice and get some patchs/ a book / herbal fags . and keep letting them tell you how hard it is . my way works 100 % every time

town73
20/07/2005, 4:22 PM

Found eating XXX mints very good - the hotter the better. Cold turkey is the way to go.

superfrank
20/07/2005, 4:25 PM
The best way to stop, don't start.

strangeirish
20/07/2005, 4:50 PM
I only smoke after a little bit of nookie. Have not had a drag in three months :mad: :eek:

hamish
20/07/2005, 5:00 PM
I only smoke after a little bit of nookie. Have not had a drag in three months :mad: :eek:

Yeh, we believe you...we've seen her on totty thread. :p

Off the fagarettes for almost 3 weeks now - don't miss them but going to a wild party on Saturday night so might slip.
Anyway, even if I do slip, Plastic Paddy won't be there to give me a slap - he's monitoring me on the fags situation. :D

Plastic Paddy
20/07/2005, 5:02 PM
yip ! well you said you have tried the patches and they didnt work so nicotine replacement isnt for you , so the only option left is cold turkey , every one else is giving you methods that act as a crutch in the same way the patches do

Nonsense. Read my post again. Where's the mention of a crutch?

Allen Carr + hypnotherapy = an 80-90% success rate according to them. It certainly worked for me and 3 of my other friends - only one has gone back to the smokes. And not a patch in sight. Not even willpower. Just a desire to quit. Oh, and about 300 yoyos... :eek: :D

Baker
20/07/2005, 5:38 PM
Best of luck Dotsy. Im off them 4 months after reading the Allen Carr book. Getting on grand, dont miss them at all even after a few drinks. Its way easier than trying to go cold turkey or going on the patches.

CollegeTillIDie
20/07/2005, 7:51 PM
PP

FYI Cigarettes contain 250 noxious additives including Nicotine.
Nicotine replacement therapy gives you the nicotine without the other 249. That is supposedly how it works!

Plastic Paddy
20/07/2005, 8:19 PM
PP

FYI Cigarettes contain 250 noxious additives including Nicotine.
Nicotine replacement therapy gives you the nicotine without the other 249. That is supposedly how it works!

I've seen 2,500 cited rather than 250. Don't care if NRT loses 2,499 on the way. It is still a con, especially when you consider the cheaper alternative.

drinkfeckarse
21/07/2005, 8:08 AM
my way works 100 % every time

But that's where you're totally wrong and why I said walk before you can run. You've been off them less than a week and start preaching how easy it is.

It is not (if you try cold turkey or crutches). Yes you need to have the right frame of mind but you also need a little help/advice along the way. If you're way works 100% every time why do people go back smoking or are you talking about yourself? If you are, it would prove you are wrong because you've obviously been on and off them plenty of times.

Maybe you have found it easy so far and good luck to you but the fact of the matter is most people don't, know matter what frame of mind they are in.

The fact you are off them less than a week and are going on about "how easy" it is suggests to me that you are flippant about it and that's when you can slip up.

anto1208
21/07/2005, 8:12 AM
But that's where you're totally wrong and why I said walk before you can run. You've been off them less than a week and start preaching how easy it is.

It is not (if you try cold turkey or crutches). Yes you need to have the right frame of mind but you also need a little help/advice along the way. If you're way works 100% every time why do people go back smoking or are you talking about yourself? If you are, it would prove you are wrong because you've obviously been on and off them plenty of times.

Maybe you have found it easy so far and good luck to you but the fact of the matter is most people don't, know matter what frame of mind they are in.

The fact you are off them less than a week and are going on about "how easy" it is suggests to me that you are flippant about it and that's when you can slip up.

ive given up "the" smoke this weekend as in j's not fags , i choose to smoke to relax i dont need to hence being able to give it up alltogether on sunday and im still fine today thursday !! its easy and it does work ive gotten around 10 of my mates to quit( fags ) for good , not an ocasional smoker i would have had on average 3to 5 j's a day for 5 years so by rights i should be hooked but i aint

look choose your own way its nothing to me but if some one has all ready tried all the books, hypnotherapy and patchs etc and keep going back then it isnt working for them .what do they have to loose by tring my way its all in the mind , its not heroin or masturbation there giving up .

anto1208
21/07/2005, 8:21 AM
Nonsense. Read my post again. Where's the mention of a crutch?

Allen Carr + hypnotherapy = an 80-90% success rate according to them. It certainly worked for me and 3 of my other friends - only one has gone back to the smokes. And not a patch in sight. Not even willpower. Just a desire to quit. Oh, and about 300 yoyos... :eek: :D

the book and the hypno therapy are crutches you are useing them to help you get of fags ,
1 in 4 went back on the fags so it does nt work for 25 % of people it just tricked your brain thats all .
not even will power just a desire to quit ?????? is a disire to quit not your will power telling you to quit ?????

oh yea all i used was medical fact , the nicotine is out of your system in 7 days after that your body does nt crave the drug its just in your head from habbit .

Macy
21/07/2005, 9:41 AM
I'll be back in the office tomorrow to save those trying to give up from the forces of good :rolleyes: who just say look at the ads or just stop... :D

I'll just leave you with this for those suggesting nicotine replacement - who supplies the nicotine to nicorette, nicotine CQ etc?

Babysis
21/07/2005, 9:59 AM
[QUOTE=Macy]I'll be back in the office tomorrow to save those trying to give up from the forces of good :rolleyes: who just say look at the ads or just stop... :D

If you actually watch those ads you would realise how true they are.
I didnt take any notice of them or the cancer research ads, until March when I saw it first hand. So maybe we all need to affected personnally for it to sink in, i dont know. :confused:

In my case my aunty is dying from lung cancer, there is nothing they can really do and it is devestating to watch. She smoked from 15 till recently.
She had tried to quit, she had hypnotherapy etc. Her husband quit. Her cancer is 99% smoking related.
She is 45.

So yep those adverts work if you want them to. But then everyone knows the dangers, so just do what you like.
If you want to smoke do, its up to you.
I agree with who ever said the best way to stop smoking is not to start. I know I never will.

Im only saying this to prove those ads work. Im sure people will say thats different, their different, everyones gonna do their own thing anyway.

Dotsy
21/07/2005, 10:06 AM
Anto,

Ive been smoking 20 fags a day for nearly 25 years and have tried cold turkey many times as well as NRT. Going cold turkey again as I'm pretty sure NRT won't work. Still open to any suggestions from people who have quit. The Allen Carr thing sounds interestinmg as it seems to address your state of mind and not just just your cravings. I'll give it a go and if it doesn't work I haven't lost anything.

Plastic Paddy
21/07/2005, 4:50 PM
the book and the hypno therapy are crutches you are useing them to help you get of fags ,
1 in 4 went back on the fags so it does nt work for 25 % of people it just tricked your brain thats all .
not even will power just a desire to quit ?????? is a disire to quit not your will power telling you to quit ?????

oh yea all i used was medical fact , the nicotine is out of your system in 7 days after that your body does nt crave the drug its just in your head from habbit .

A little knowledge truly is a dangerous thing. And completely wasted on you, it would seem. :rolleyes: :p

Come back with a doctoral certificate and I might, might just listen to you. I'm not holding my breath in waiting though...

Anto McC
21/07/2005, 5:18 PM
My da gave up 15 years ago,just decided to stop one day and he did,He chewed a lot of Chewing Gum for the first month

Plastic Paddy
21/07/2005, 5:22 PM
Ah, the penny droppeth. Life through the prism of a father's eye. Bless. :rolleyes: :p :D

Green Tribe
21/07/2005, 5:23 PM

How come Sir Hamish smokes so much then........?? :confused: :eek: :D

hamish
21/07/2005, 7:29 PM
How come Sir Hamish smokes so much then........?? :confused: :eek: :D

Bloody cheek - I'm off them 3 weels on Saturday. :p

Green Tribe
21/07/2005, 7:57 PM

Good man, keep it up!!! :eek: ;) :D

hamish
21/07/2005, 8:03 PM
Good man, keep it up!!! :eek: ;) :D

Double entendre?

I give up. :D

Green Tribe
21/07/2005, 8:06 PM
Double entendre?

I give up. :D

Heh, couldn't resist that one, PP will slap you for taking this off-topic! :D

Plastic Paddy
21/07/2005, 8:06 PM

I'm still watching... :eek: ;) :D

Good man Hamish.

hamish
21/07/2005, 8:13 PM
I'm still watching... :eek: ;) :D

Good man Hamish.

I mentioned this about you on another post PP - I know you're watching me and my smoking or ex smoking - not paranoid or anything. LOL
Have had no cold turkey whatsoever - never deeply inhaled anyway - just shows you how addictive the bloody things are - I usually left most of the fag in the ashtray - what must it be like for those who inhale deeply??

Macy
22/07/2005, 11:33 AM
Off them 10 weeks tomorrow, after going to the Allan Carr Clinic. So far so good - only time seriously close was after Buckfast consumption last week and that passed suprisingly quickly!

Nicotine replacement therapy's don't work because you're still getting the nicotine. (and to answer my own question, the cigarette companies supply the manufacturer's of the patches etc).

The scary ads just make smokers want to have a smoke. I doubt their any influence on a 15 or 16 year old kid trying to be cool. Silk Cut have used scary ads to make people reach for their cigs - FACT.

There's no such thing as an occasional smoker/ weekend smoker etc. Ask anyone who claims to be able to leave, to leave them for good. If they don't need them, why bother? And every cig feeds you nicotine craving - "one last cigarette" is taking you further from getting over the addiction

I personally think a few sociable J's is different to a 20-25 a day smoker. Makes up far less of their routine.

Anto's right in the respect that it's out of your system in 5-7 days (usually - can be up to 30 though), but naive in the extreme to ignore the pschyological factors so flippantly....

anto1208
22/07/2005, 11:46 AM
A little knowledge truly is a dangerous thing. And completely wasted on you, it would seem. :rolleyes: :p

Come back with a doctoral certificate and I might, might just listen to you. I'm not holding my breath in waiting though...

did you know its impossible to hold your breath untill you die

anto1208
22/07/2005, 11:49 AM
Off them 10 weeks tomorrow, after going to the Allan Carr Clinic. So far so good - only time seriously close was after Buckfast consumption last week and that passed suprisingly quickly!

Nicotine replacement therapy's don't work because you're still getting the nicotine. (and to answer my own question, the cigarette companies supply the manufacturer's of the patches etc).

The scary ads just make smokers want to have a smoke. I doubt their any influence on a 15 or 16 year old kid trying to be cool. Silk Cut have used scary ads to make people reach for their cigs - FACT.

There's no such thing as an occasional smoker/ weekend smoker etc. Ask anyone who claims to be able to leave, to leave them for good. If they don't need them, why bother? And every cig feeds you nicotine craving - "one last cigarette" is taking you further from getting over the addiction

I personally think a few sociable J's is different to a 20-25 a day smoker. Makes up far less of their routine.

Anto's right in the respect that it's out of your system in 5-7 days (usually - can be up to 30 though), but naive in the extreme to ignore the pschyological factors so flippantly....
well done staying off them see it isnt as hard as this lot are making out .

Plastic Paddy
22/07/2005, 12:05 PM

But he did what I did - Allen Carr's Easyway - and you accused me of having a crutch! Nor did I claim it was difficult to quit. I did it first time. You're chasing your own tail, me boyo...

Consistency, young Anto, is the key to winning any argument. And you just lost yours. :p

Macy
22/07/2005, 12:12 PM
Yeah - I mean it was only 2 years of trying before I booked into Allen Carr...

anto1208
22/07/2005, 12:37 PM
But he did what I did - Allen Carr's Easyway - and you accused me of having a crutch! Nor did I claim it was difficult to quit. I did it first time. You're chasing your own tail, me boyo...

Consistency, young Anto, is the key to winning any argument. And you just lost yours. :p

and what does alan do ? he changes your way of thinking ! same as i suggested to do.

Plastic Paddy
22/07/2005, 12:45 PM
Let it go, sunshine, just let it go...

Dotsy
22/07/2005, 1:44 PM
Nearly a week off them now :) . Read the Carr book yesterday. It certainly puts a quitting in a different perspective than other methods. I thought it was very good and feel alot more confident about stopping smoking after having read it. Next step is the course. Thanks for all the advise.