PDA

View Full Version : A Thread For Rollercoaster Lovers...

Peadar
20/07/2005, 9:17 AM
What's your favourite roller?

I'll probably head along to Thorpe Park before the summer is out and have a spin on the Nemesis Inferno (http://www.thorpepark.co.uk/explore/watch_video.asp?getMovie=nemesis) and Colossus. (http://www.thorpepark.co.uk/explore/watch_video.asp?getMovie=colossus)

The most memorable I've been on in England are the Pepsi Max Big One (http://www.blackpoolpleasurebeach.com/HTML/rides/rides.php?type=major&id=1) in Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Oblivion (http://www.alton-towers.co.uk/themepark/guide_xsector.asp) in Alton Towers and Nemesis (http://www.alton-towers.co.uk/themepark/guide_forbiddenvalley.asp), also in Alton Towers.

Alton Towers in such a cool place!

Anyone else got their favourites?

Babysis
20/07/2005, 9:34 AM
Rameses Revenge at Chessington - Absolutely loved it
Loggers Leap at Thorpe Park - an Oldie but a goodie
Oblivion at Alton towers - Good but the quesus were mental
Dragon Khan - Port Aventura Spain - superb

The only ride to nearly make me ill was the samari at Chessington :(

paul_oshea
20/07/2005, 9:39 AM
pepsi max is up there with the best of them. nemesis is good, alton is good enough all round. but the best one i was ever on was the superman ride in six flags in america. quality, the best ever, went on it 4 times and every time it gets better as you think you know what comes next and you are always wrong.

would love to go to alton or one of them this year.

Babysis
20/07/2005, 9:45 AM

Am well up for Chessington - always used to finsih the day on the bubble works having a major water fight. class. Train from Waterloo, happy days.

Eire06
20/07/2005, 9:51 AM

That's the biggest in Europe I think (Well it was when I was there which was a good few years ago!)..

The best I've been on was in the Islands of Adventure in Orlando, can't remember its name but there are two going at once and you keepthinking that your going to crash into eachother

Peadar
20/07/2005, 9:51 AM
...the quesus were mental

That's why they introduced virtual queues.

Thorpe Park (http://www.thorpepark.co.uk/planning_your_visit/how_to_get_here.asp) and Chessington World of Adventures (http://www.chessington.com/planning_your_visit/how_to_get_here.asp) are very close together and easy enough for you to get to from London, Paul.

paul_oshea
20/07/2005, 9:53 AM
Am well up for Chessington - always used to finsih the day on the bubble works having a major water fight. class. Train from Waterloo, happy days.#

pa and babysis sounds like a plan. when is it less busy? tis a pity i dont have a license over here.

Babysis
20/07/2005, 9:56 AM
pa and babysis sounds like a plan. when is it less busy? tis a pity i dont have a license over here.

Victoria line to Vauxhall, then train to chessington or from waterloo. 5min walk from the station. always busy. A day off work is the best way, but its not really possible for most. Early morning, pitching up when it opens is the best bet.
Stay til it closes then a few beers on the way home - ~no need for driving

Doubt I will make it, but Id love to go.

paul_oshea
20/07/2005, 9:57 AM
oh ya and a car! :rolleyes:

lofty9
20/07/2005, 10:01 AM
Duelling dragons, islands of adventure - orlando. Scary - best I've been on.

Babysis
20/07/2005, 10:02 AM
Im not a big fan of the sea, so i wasnot keen on the rides on the pier at Brighton. ancient rollercoaster, which would be nothing if it was on land, but it flicks out on the corner and it feels like your gonna come off the track into the sea. extra adrenaline though :D

Eire06
20/07/2005, 10:08 AM
Duelling dragons, islands of adventure - orlando. Scary - best I've been on.
Ya thats the one I was on about.. its class... :D
Really scary if your in the front row and you see the other carraige coming towards you and just turning seconds before you meet :eek:

Paul you could hire a car would only be about €70 otr €80 euro for the day and if you had 4 or 5 with you would prob be cheaper tham the train..

Train tickets over ther cost me a fortune over there at the weekend and people say its rip off Ireland No way London is much more expensive :mad:

Babysis
20/07/2005, 10:11 AM
Ya thats the one I was on about.. its class... :D
Really scary if your in the front row and you see the other carraige coming towards you and just turning seconds before you meet :eek:

Paul you could hire a car would only be about €70 otr €80 euro for the day and if you had 4 or 5 with you would prob be cheaper tham the train..

Train tickets over ther cost me a fortune over there at the weekend and people say its rip off Ireland No way London is much more expensive :mad:

You can get out on a 1-6 travel card, so its not expensive at all. happy days

paul_oshea
20/07/2005, 10:21 AM
Really scary if your in the front row and you see the other carraige coming towards you and just turning seconds before you meet

LOL, aye can you imagine it has to have happened some people with dodgy stomachs spewing right that that point and landing on the people in the opposite carraige.

eire06, a mon avis london is far more expensive, had that arguement with manys a people. ALL travel is far more expensive and rent is far more expensive, pints arent that much cheaper when you convert to euro. some arent cheaper at all. eating out certainly isnt. the only thing is you have cafes ( pronounced like gaffes with a c :D ) over here that do cheap food.

Peadar
20/07/2005, 10:24 AM
Paul you could hire a car would only be about €70 otr €80 euro for the day

He'd have the car parked up for most of the day, which would probably cost a few quid and he couldn't drink.

You can get out on a 1-6 travel card, so its not expensive at all.

You can get your travel card that your company pay for and then it's free. :D

By the way, have you watched the videos from Thorpe Park?
They're class!

lofty9
20/07/2005, 10:26 AM
Ya thats the one I was on about.. its class...

They are actually two different rides. The blue one 'ice' is smoother and does not go as fast as the red 'fire'. But its sitting at the front when you think they are going to collide with each other that is the best bit! The drop on the red one at the start is frightening and you get thrown everywhere on it. The hulk coaster is good too - with a great start!

Eire06
20/07/2005, 10:28 AM
eire06, a mon avis london is far more expensive, had that arguement with manys a people. ALL travel is far more expensive and rent is far more expensive, pints arent that much cheaper when you convert to euro. some arent cheaper at all. eating out certainly isnt. the only thing is you have cafes ( pronounced like gaffes with a c :D ) over here that do cheap food.

Ya agree with you there, I had always heard that London wasn't expensive at all, but it was much more expensive that here for food, Travel and accommodation

Babysis
20/07/2005, 10:30 AM
Its a good day out doing somehting dofferent,getting out of the pub. You need a gang of people, more craic. Really want o go now, especially when the weather's hot

Eire06
20/07/2005, 10:31 AM
They are actually two different rides. The blue one 'ice' is smoother and does not go as fast as the red 'fire'. But its sitting at the front when you think they are going to collide with each other that is the best bit! The drop on the red one at the start is frightening and you get thrown everywhere on it. The hulk coaster is good too - with a great start!

Ya the Hulk was a good build up for it.. I went on both the red and the blue and in the front row for both.. great trill ride... Disney's space mountain doesn't even come near as good as it - even thought the try and claim it is better :rolleyes:

Babysis
20/07/2005, 10:33 AM
Ya agree with you there, I had always heard that London wasn't expensive at all, but it was much more expensive that here for food, Travel and accommodation

yeah but if your in the city centre thats to be expected. Its like any place really, if you head out of the touristy bits you can get things ata normal price. Pity you got stung, you should have come to fulham, I have no memory of how much the pints were down there, but it was worth it :D

Theme parks rip you off on food and drink, but unless you bring a picnic and carry it round your stuck with paying a fortune for lunch. about £20 to get in to chessington now i think

Eire06
20/07/2005, 10:36 AM
yeah but if your in the city centre thats to be expected. Its like any place really, if you head out of the touristy bits you can get things ata normal price. Pity you got stung, you should have come to fulham, I have no memory of how much the pints were down there, but it was worth it :D

Theme parks rip you off on food and drink, but unless you bring a picnic and carry it round your stuck with paying a fortune for lunch. about £20 to get in to chessington now i think
Didn't stop me from having a great weekend anyway..
Wanted to go to the match but my friend was having none of it :rolleyes:
Was suprised at how nice London was actually (my first time in England) will be back for a visit again soon :D

Babysis
20/07/2005, 10:39 AM
Didn't stop me from having a great weekend anyway..
Wanted to go to the match but my friend was having none of it :rolleyes:
Was suprised at how nice London was actually (my first time in England) will be back for a visit again soon :D

its probably just as well you didnt come down to the game, or you might have changed your view on London being so nice - messy was probably a good word to describe fulham on saturday.

You should get up to alton towers, its good fun, want to do the weekend pass with the hotel stay, expensive but would good fun :D

Drumcondra Red
20/07/2005, 10:45 AM
More of a waterpark kinda guy!!! :D :D :D

paul_oshea
20/07/2005, 10:47 AM
http://www.goballistic.co.uk/paintball_site_Bricketwood/prices.htm

that would also be great if we could get a few, would love to blast dcfcsteve a few times in the head personally. :D

and peadar now that i think of it.

paul_oshea
20/07/2005, 10:48 AM
http://www.lastminute.com/lmn/pso/catalog/Product.jhtml?POSITION=1&PRODID=407629083&CATID=96785

Eire06
20/07/2005, 10:49 AM
More of a waterpark kinda guy!!! :D :D :D
love the Kamikaze water slides :D
always feel like your going to fall over the sides

paul_oshea
20/07/2005, 10:52 AM
eire06 yer dumbo slides in leisure land are the most annoying. every fooken time i went on them i got stuck halfway in teh middle, twas scary i couldnt move so i basically had to start pushing myself down, it took me 10 mins and the lifeguard kept roaring at me.

i hate slides i keep getting stuck halfway down, has anyone else had this happen to them??? :o

and its not the shorts either cos i was always wearing different shorts.

Peadar
20/07/2005, 10:54 AM
would love to blast dcfcsteve a few times in the head personally. :D

I wouldn't be long shoving that gun up your arse!
Come to think of it, you'd enjoy that! :eek: :D

Eire06
20/07/2005, 10:55 AM
eire06 yer dumbo slides in leisure land are the most annoying. every fooken time i went on them i got stuck halfway in teh middle, twas scary i couldnt move so i basically had to start pushing myself down, it took me 10 mins and the lifeguard kept roaring at me.

i hate slides i keep getting stuck halfway down, has anyone else had this happen to them??? :o

Paul your not supposed to wear your armbands, life jacket and inflatable duck ring going down the slide :rolleyes:

Babysis
20/07/2005, 10:55 AM
http://www.goballistic.co.uk/paintball_site_Bricketwood/prices.htm

that would also be great if we could get a few, would love to blast dcfcsteve a few times in the head personally. :D

i love paintballing. so much fun. There is a brilliant place out on the end of the central line, get to hide out in wrecked cars and coaches, aswell as play a night game. great fun. they also have a go kart track beside it, with roll top cages, well up for it - that I would take a day off for :D

paul_oshea
20/07/2005, 10:56 AM
chessington is only £16 is it any good????? :confused: #
has it got big scary rides they are the best.

paul_oshea
20/07/2005, 10:58 AM
come to think of it eire06 i always had my duckie with me :o

Babysis
20/07/2005, 11:01 AM
chessington is only £16 is it any good????? :confused: #
has it got big scary rides they are the best.

check it out here (http://www.chessington.co.uk/park_guide/adventure_ratings.asp)

given that the best park is in staffs, its not bad. prefer it to thorpe park, although Ive not been to thorpe park since i was in the brownies :eek: :D

Peadar
20/07/2005, 11:10 AM
its not bad. prefer it to thorpe park

Surely the two rides I mentioned above in Thorpe Park are better than anything in Chessington?
Watch the videos and see for yourself!

Babysis
20/07/2005, 11:12 AM
Surely the two rides I mentioned above in Thorpe Park are better than anything in Chessington?
Watch the videos and see for yourself!

There are one or two good rides in thorpe Park, they had that pitch black backwards one didnt they?? Im sure they are catching up with chessington, but I still think of them as being more family orientated, for little kids etc. Although the flying elephants at chessington are class :D

Peadar
20/07/2005, 11:17 AM
Rita - Queen of Speed (http://www.alton-towers.co.uk/themepark/ride_rita.asp) in Alton Towers looks class!

Babysis
20/07/2005, 12:10 PM
This (http://www.mayhem-paintball.co.uk/home.html) is the crowd i went paintballing with. really good fun, i really liked them :)

dahamsta
20/07/2005, 12:19 PM
Couple coaster links from my bookmarks. Haven't actually been on any big ones, but love them anyway.

http://www.coasterbuzz.com/
http://www.intaminworldwide.com/

adam

the 12 th man
20/07/2005, 12:41 PM

(

not a rollercoaster fan but was reluctantly pushed onto the above by my nippers,can honestly say will never forget the experience and has left an indellible print on my mind................pure terror...........

Drumcondra Red
20/07/2005, 12:44 PM

Did you eat all the pies???

liam88
23/07/2005, 9:55 PM
Just seen this thread!

1. Rock'n'roller coaster-Disneworld, Florida: 0-70mph in a few seocnds, two loops and a corkscrew

2. Collosus-Thorpe PArk, Surrey: Went on it when it opened, mental

3. (Could have been second) Big Thunder Mountain-Disneyworld, Florida: Brilliant scenery-really well thought out!

4. That big one at Baugetel in France-Sideways aound a pitchs black lake 100ft below ya! What more can i say!

5. Space Mountain, Disneyworld, Florida-One person carts is scary space packed stuff!

Colm
24/07/2005, 12:29 AM
I've been on a lot of rollercoasters in my time but I'd say that the Dragon Kahn and the Stampida in Port Aventura, Salou were my favourites.

Nemisis also good at Alton towers.

Ruairi
24/07/2005, 11:09 AM
Oblivion at alton towers was the most amazing piece of machinery i've ever been on.. my heart actually stopped for those few seconds when you're hanging over the edge peering down, with all that "Don't look down" crap in the speakers.. MAGIC...

Queues for it have more than doubled now though cause the Black Hole has been decommissioned (don't know why i loved it), so now Oblivion is the only big coaster in that area of the park.

I was on Nemesis within the first few weeks of opening way back in 94, queued for three hours with my dad but fcuking hell was it worth it, ended up sitting up front, took off my shoes, happy out...

Anyone else remember the Thunder Looper there, it was basically just one loop and you were propelled forward through the loop, then backwards through it, marvelous..

I love Alton towers, the haunted house is magic, remember the girl playing in the dools house? freaky

hopefully going to go back there before the end of the summer.

was in Parc Asterix in Paris a few years ago too, it has the biggest wooden roller coaster in Europe which was class, and there was a class metal coaster which went upside down far too many times for my stomachs liking..

Christ almost forgot Air at Alton, what a unique experience...