PDA

View Full Version : Manager Sackings 2005

pete
19/07/2005, 2:41 PM
I think Alan Reynolds is only manager to be sacked this season. Is this a record low?

Dick Long
19/07/2005, 2:51 PM
His (caretaker) replacement Giles Cheevers is leaving for America on Saturday to coach over there. 2-0 to the Blues!!!!!

Roo69
19/07/2005, 2:56 PM
Did Reynolds not walk out of the job ? Also the Athlone manager, walk or pushed ?

tomsoc
19/07/2005, 3:06 PM
Both were the usual walked or pushed without confirmation we usually get.
Mr Dolan has to be considered as part of this season's sackings.

I'd expect a few more to go before the end of the season, probably two or three more from the premier.

pete
19/07/2005, 3:22 PM
I'd expect a few more to go before the end of the season, probably two or three more from the premier.

Doolin must be under pressure at Drogs. With spendtrift club owners Dolan would be perfect replacement.

Roddys days are numbered at Rovers too.

De Town
19/07/2005, 3:41 PM
Healy at Harps wouldnt be the most secure manager in a job.

jorge
19/07/2005, 3:45 PM
Doolin should be sacked.Look at all the players at his disposal and where are they 4th or 5th.Fcuk "the players have to gell" theyve had enough time to gell.

Reynolds walked anyway he dint get sacked.

Poor Student
19/07/2005, 5:08 PM
I'd say the 400 club want shot of Roddy. On the Rovers Ultra messageboard a lot of people want rid of him. He appears to be preparing for his own departure. He's been saying money or not Rovers need 5 new players with a chance of staying up. Obviously impossible if they're downsizing to survive.

gael353
19/07/2005, 5:42 PM
The list of crap managers in the first division is endless. No manager bar maybe Keely is doing a good job. Most of the better performing teams are in deep financial woes and the others there season is over allready. You could sack the lot en mass

Poor Student
19/07/2005, 5:46 PM
I'd say Pat Scully is safe. The expectations in Kilkenny must be non-existent. He's possibly already exceeded them. :eek: I wonder if they have a long term plan with Pat or what they're up to down there.

pineapple stu
19/07/2005, 5:58 PM
Healy at Harps wouldnt be the most secure manager in a job.
Pete Mahon pretty much has a job for life at UCD.

Did Reynolds not walk out of the job?
I'd say he was given the opportunity to resign rather than be sacked for violent conduct, to be honest.

Doolin must be under pressure at Drogs.

Doolin should be sacked.Look at all the players at his disposal and where are they 4th or 5th.Fcuk "the players have to gel" they've had enough time to gel.
I'll say nothing! :)

patsh
20/07/2005, 7:16 AM
The list of crap managers in the first division is endless. No manager bar maybe Keely is doing a good job. Most of the better performing teams are in deep financial woes and the others there season is over allready. You could sack the lot en mass
Don't think that Cobh are complaining to much about Henderson, and Limerick hardly want shot of O'Connor, do they?

LFC in Exile
20/07/2005, 8:12 AM
and Limerick hardly want shot of O'Connor, do they?

Some do. If you want to see a barney in action go to the Limerick forum. :)

It would be interestign to get perspective from fans of other clubs.

patsh
20/07/2005, 8:16 AM

But thats the fans, not the club itself or Drew.....

LFC in Exile
20/07/2005, 8:21 AM
Scully seems to be doing a good job lately. Young squad means he has needed a bit of time - but if the current run continues they could catch quite a few of the teams above them.

Sligo's boss - based on results alone - is doing a good job. Though we'll see what happens when Rovers implode and lose the league.

Henderson also doing a good job at Cobh.

With Keely you get exactly what it says on the tin. He has been managing for years and years and his teams still play the same way - launch it to the big guy. Wouldn't mind him getting sacked if only because we wouldn't have to put up with that.

Ryan must be under pressure at Kildare - they are big underachievers. As well as Lally at Galway.

In the premier - I'd say the only thing preventing Roddy's departure is the need to buy him out of a contract. Others seem safe - hardly think Doolin will be sacked mid-season. No Europe for them and maybe he will be gone.

Manager of the season so far? Has to be Stephen Kenny. :ball:

LFC in Exile
20/07/2005, 8:23 AM
But thats the fans, not the club itself or Drew.....

Oh yes, the club management are very together it seems and if anything the fans criticism is making them even tighter. I'm not convinced on O'Connor but I have to say I am impressed with the way the club's management are sticking together with very little sign of dissent. Then again I suppose why should there be when we have moved from whipping boys to 4th in the division. :ball:

ColinR
20/07/2005, 8:33 AM
whilst nobody seems happy with doolin amongst the drogs support - he was given a very good contract and it would be stupid to have to pay him off mid season, and try to reorganise. he wont be sacked.

Roo69
20/07/2005, 9:01 AM

I think he is doing a fcuking fantastic job down in Limerick, defo the best up and coming manager out there (kinda remind me of stephen kenny for some reason)

Wiseguy
20/07/2005, 9:38 AM
Doolin deserves the sack for the stupid amounts of money he has spent and still only manages to make Drogheda an average side.
I think Roddy wants out but is trying to be sacked.
Stephen Kenny is manager of the year so far.

Peadar
20/07/2005, 10:21 AM

He's not a patch on Rico!
All will be clear at the end of the season.

patsh
20/07/2005, 10:42 AM
Manager of the season so far? Has to be Stephen Kenny. :ball:
Rubbish.
Rico came into the job less than 3 weeks before the start of the league, and in a very short space of time has put his stamp and tactics all over the team that is way out in front in the league, had one of the eL's best ever away results in a European competition and is playing the best football in the country.

Kenny has done a superb job, but Rico was in a much more difficult position and has done even better.

lofty9
20/07/2005, 10:51 AM
Richardson has inherited what is vastly a far superior squad than kenny did. When Kenny took over we were in a relegation battle. Look what Kenny has done - something short of incredible. However, incredible would be to beat Cork in the last game of the season and snatch the league :) Joking aside, after watching the performances from Keely's and Dyke's teams, I can see how good a manager Kenny is.

I doubt Richardson would have overseen the same turnaround at Derry City ...we couldn't afford to buy the 20 thesaruses needed to help the squad understand his tactics and directions!

patsh
20/07/2005, 10:54 AM
we couldn't afford to buy the 20 thesaruses needed to help the squad understand his tactics and directions!
Well obviously the City players understand his English perfectly, as can be seen by a simple glance at our results....;)

lofty9
20/07/2005, 11:09 AM
'Click' ;) and the boys aren't the most intelligent. They still think we are in a relegation battle - they think the table is upside down. I think the ex UCD men would be too busy translating for the other 18 if Rico was here!

LFC in Exile
20/07/2005, 12:14 PM
Rubbish.
Rico came into the job less than 3 weeks before the start of the league, and in a very short space of time has put his stamp and tactics all over the team that is way out in front in the league, had one of the eL's best ever away results in a European competition and is playing the best football in the country.

Kenny has done a superb job, but Rico was in a much more difficult position and has done even better.

Huh? Rico inherited a team that had finished second in the league. His job was to keep them going as they were before.

Kenny took over last September and they finished 6 points above Rovers and 4th from bottom. The previous season they were in the relegation playoffs. This season - with a not significantly changed squad - they are good bets for a European spot. Kenny is far and away the best manager in the league because he is doing it without the resources of other clubs and he is doing it quietly and methodically. What's more any time I've seen them they actually play decnt football as well. They are not kicking their way to the top (not suggsting that City or Shels are either).

The best team wins the league. Cork may do that. But the best manager is not necessarily the manager of the league winners. Which may not even apply to Rico this year either.

superfrank
20/07/2005, 12:23 PM
Doolin deserves the sack for the stupid amounts of money he has spent and still only manages to make Drogheda an average side.
I think Roddy wants out but is trying to be sacked.
Yeah, he wants to preserve his reputation as never been relegated as a manager.

I'm personally happy with Devo this season. We were rotting but the lads he's brought in during the window have done well. And nobody expected us to be outside the relegation zone.

Slash/ED
20/07/2005, 1:27 PM
but Rico was in a much more difficult position

While I'd probably agree Rico has been the best manager this season, in all fairness that's b*ll*cks. The way Kenny has turned Derry around on and even more so off the pitch is superb.

LFC in Exile
20/07/2005, 1:29 PM
While I'd probably agree Rico has been the best manager this season, in all fairness that's b*ll*cks. The way Kenny has turned Derry around on and even more so off the pitch is superb.

Then why do you think Rico is the best manager? :confused:

patsh
20/07/2005, 1:31 PM
Well you obviously know nothing of the turmoil at City after the Dolan sacking.....

Slash/ED
20/07/2005, 1:38 PM
Then why do you think Rico is the best manager? :confused:

Because he'll probably win the league, and it's not something Cork do very often. That would be a bigger achievement than simply turning around Derry, espically if Rico can go on a European run.

Well you obviously know nothing of the turmoil at City after the Dolan sacking.....

It was more with the fans than inside the club, or at least looked that way to me. A few idiots who were soon silenced, he always had the talent there ready and waiting unlike Kenny who had to get alot of his places to relocate to Derry and turn the team around.

I don't disagree with you Patsh that I think Rico has been the best manager this season, just Kenny took over Derry in a more difficult position, not that Ricos position wasn't difficult.

patsh
20/07/2005, 1:40 PM
It was more with the fans than inside the club, or at least looked that way to me. A few idiots who were soon silenced, he always had the talent there ready and waiting unlike Kenny who had to get alot of his places to relocate to Derry and turn the team around.
It was more than a few fans, unfortunately......

ThatGuy
20/07/2005, 1:52 PM
Cork were a fancied side for the title before it even started. Derry were non-runners really. Richardson, who I rate as a manager, is doing a great job. Is it a shock though that Cork are at the top? No. Obviously everyone knows not to listen to Patsh's nonsense though!
Stephen Kenny is doing a great job at Derry, is it a shock that they are doing so well? Absolutely.
At Bohs Gareth Farrelly is doing a good job, with less resources than the previous 4 managers at Bohs and a mass exodus he has the team playing well and with a great spirit.
Pete Mahon is doing a good job at UCD too. He was a disaster at Bohs, a job far too big for him and he didn't have the bottle of ambition for it, but he is tailor made for Belfield in my opinion.

IMO the best managers SO FAR this season have been, in this order, have been...

1. Stephen Kenny
2. Damien Richardson
3. Gareth Farrelly
4. Pete Mahon

IMO the worst managers so far have been:
1. Roddy Collins
2. Paul Doolin
3. Pat Fenlon

Cosmo
20/07/2005, 1:55 PM
Kenny has been the best to date.

I won't mention who has been the worst :o

patsh
20/07/2005, 2:15 PM
Obviously everyone knows not to listen to Patsh's nonsense though!

Awwww, what's upset the lickle baba......:p

ThatGuy
20/07/2005, 2:19 PM
Awwww, what's upset the lickle baba......:p
Yes an obvious pre-pubescent from Cork implying that I am a child really hurts!

Éanna
20/07/2005, 2:20 PM
It was more with the fans than inside the club, or at least looked that way to me. A few idiots who were soon silenced, he always had the talent there ready and waiting unlike Kenny who had to get alot of his places to relocate to Derry and turn the team around.A lot more than that as patsh said. It wasn't just a few fans, it was players too.

patsh
20/07/2005, 2:22 PM
Yes an obvious pre-pubescent from Cork implying that I am a child really hurts!
Awww, he is still upset. Ask mammy to buy you a lolly pop.....:)

Wiseguy
20/07/2005, 2:31 PM
What Kenny has done at Derry is top notch.It's no real surprise though cos look what he done with us and the success he had at Bohs.I don't like the guy but he's one of the best if not the best manager in the country.
Rico inherited a great pool of players at Cork and they were already champions material who needed a bit extra which Rico has given them so far.I think Cork have also been helped by Shels terrible start and only for that it would be a lot closer but Cork have achieved nothing yet and if they blow the league it will be a huge fcuk up on their behalf.

pete
20/07/2005, 5:20 PM
IMO the best managers SO FAR this season have been, in this order, have been...

1. Stephen Kenny
2. Damien Richardson
3. Gareth Farrelly
4. Pete Mahon

Manager of League Leaders by 7 points & not in top 4? :eek: :rolleyes:

Farrelly may have smaller budget than previous Bohs managers but still be one of largest in the league.

Kennys doing great job but did have 1/2 a season to get to know his squad.

De Town
20/07/2005, 5:33 PM
are you blind? :confused: :o

ThatGuy
20/07/2005, 7:45 PM

Read it again mate.

Colm
20/07/2005, 9:44 PM

I don't disagree with you Patsh that I think Rico has been the best manager this season, just Kenny took over Derry in a more difficult position, not that Ricos position wasn't difficult.

I see where you're coming from but Rico was thrown into a very difficult position. There was serious unrest amongst the fans which is only really beginning to die down a bit now.
There was never really a big campaign against Rico but he got caught up in the hatred that a lot of fans had/have for the chairman and the pining a lot of fans were doing for Pat Dolan.
He did encounter problems from the players too with some of the top players not happy with the chairman and wanting to play for the ex manager. One of those players has since left the club and another is yet to sign a new contract.

However, in spite of all the above, Rico has managed to keep up the progress the team has been making over the past few years. He has helped us gain a great lead at the top of the league and we've got a great away result in Europe.
In fairness to the man he is doing a great job in what were very difficult circumstances. Fair play Rico.

pineapple stu
21/07/2005, 12:18 AM
Pete Mahon is doing a good job at UCD too. He was a disaster at Bohs, a job far too big for him and he didn't have the bottle of ambition for it, but he is tailor made for Belfield in my opinion.
Yeah, the Bohs job was strange, I think. I always thought he was unlucky - I remember noe game where they lost 1-0 to Rovers when they had something like 36 shots and Rovers had 1. That was the luck he had. He wasn't helped by some Bohs scumbags chasing him out of the job though. Incidentally, who was manager when Pat's drew 0-0 with ******? I know Mahon took over around then for a month, but iddn't like it and stepped back down again.

pete
21/07/2005, 9:19 AM
Read it again mate.

Glad to see ye paying attention. :D